PDA

View Full Version : TX or G920 Wheel on xbox1 - do you really need a Win PC?

xsomnivmx
07-08-2015, 08:30
Hi,

i'm thinking about upgrading from my spider wheel to one of those FF wheels. But, the problem is, i always hear about firmware updates and setup and so on via windows PCs. I only have macs. Do you really need a windows pc, or is this just for a initial setup and updates every few month. Because, buying another pc oder at least parallels and a windows licence would add to the wheel costs - without any use else for me.
So, any advice would be appreciated.

djbuzz07
07-08-2015, 13:14
You need a PC to do the firmware upgrades to the wheel, I've had my wheel for 5-6 months and have had to do two firmware updates. it's pretty quick but I don't think you can do it via a Mac, maybe borrow and friends PC / laptop?

xsomnivmx
07-08-2015, 13:21
You need a PC to do the firmware upgrades to the wheel, I've had my wheel for 5-6 months and have had to do two firmware updates. it's pretty quick but I don't think you can do it via a Mac, maybe borrow and friends PC / laptop?

Well, at work i could uses windows PCs. Do you have to have everything connected? Or just the main base without wheel and pedals?

STEELJOCKEY
07-08-2015, 21:38
just the base needs to be connected to update firmware. very quick exercise to do

Bluedice
07-08-2015, 22:11
Hi,

i'm thinking about upgrading from my spider wheel to one of those FF wheels. But, the problem is, i always hear about firmware updates and setup and so on via windows PCs. I only have macs. Do you really need a windows pc, or is this just for a initial setup and updates every few month. Because, buying another pc oder at least parallels and a windows licence would add to the wheel costs - without any use else for me.
So, any advice would be appreciated.

There are free VM alternatives to Parallels on the Mac. The Windows installer would still cost you though, but perhaps running a Windows trial would be more than sufficient for that since its something that you'll do once a year at best.

OpticalHercules
08-08-2015, 17:00
Bet you could find a bare minimum windows machine at a local thrift/second-hand store for next to nothing. You're not buying it to do anything but go online once and plug in a USB device, right?

One of the places I knew before I moved away from SoCal had retired High School Dell's for $20 each. Think they had old celeron 1.5ghz processors and half a gig of ram. This was like 10 years ago and they were that cheap.

xsomnivmx
10-08-2015, 10:14
just the base needs to be connected to update firmware. very quick exercise to do

ok, thanks. that would make it much easier for me if i go the "bring your wheel to work day" route. :)

There are free VM alternatives to Parallels on the Mac. The Windows installer would still cost you though, but perhaps running a Windows trial would be more than sufficient for that since its something that you'll do once a year at best.

Thanks for the info, i'll look into the free alternatives.. and i think win7 trials just get black backgrounds and popups ater 30 days. wouldn't mind that at all.

Bet you could find a bare minimum windows machine at a local thrift/second-hand store for next to nothing. You're not buying it to do anything but go online once and plug in a USB device, right?

One of the places I knew before I moved away from SoCal had retired High School Dell's for $20 each. Think they had old celeron 1.5ghz processors and half a gig of ram. This was like 10 years ago and they were that cheap.

Funny thing.. if just found an old windows pc (one of those acer/asus 'I wish i was a mac mini, at least i'm as small - but slooooow) in a shoebox. Totally forgot that it exists. :D But still i think i'll go the virtual route n my mac, just to save the troube of having even more hardware on the desk.