PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who does this? [T500rs]

DJBLITZKRIEG
07-08-2015, 13:58
Ever since I started playing on PS4 I found the default angle of rotation to be too much on the T500rs. 1080. Even after tweaking the car set up and selecting the lowest steering ration, I found the turning was still a bit of a handful. I have been setting the rotation to 540 which is perfect.

Am I missing something here or is everyone happy with turning the steering wheel over 240 degrees when entering a corner?

Lagoa
07-08-2015, 14:03
Ever since I started playing on PS4 I found the default angle of rotation to be too much on the T500rs. 1080. Even after tweaking the car set up and selecting the lowest steering ration, I found the turning was still a bit of a handful. I have been setting the rotation to 540 which is perfect.

Am I missing something here or is everyone happy with turning the steering wheel over 240 degrees when entering a corner?

I go even further than you. When racing cars or GT4/3 I set the base to 360 degrees. And for Formula or LMP I even go to 270 degrees.
Feels way better for me.

Take in mind I'm talking about the TX Wheel for xbox one. Don't know how this works with your wheel.

TrevorAustin
07-08-2015, 14:06
This is weird, shouldn't need to be doing this, and ps4 again. So do your in game wheels now turn more than your real wheels?

Lagoa
07-08-2015, 14:16
This is weird, shouldn't need to be doing this, and ps4 again. So do your in game wheels now turn more than your real wheels?

No, on xbox TX I set the base to 360 and then calibrate at 360. Wheel matches ingame wheel. You do need to calibrate or it doesn't match.

DJBLITZKRIEG
07-08-2015, 14:20
I dont use the in game wheel option, its silly. Having two wheel in front of you. Gran Turismo like. So I dont know.

DJBLITZKRIEG
07-08-2015, 14:21
yes I do the same, I get the F1 wheel add on and reduce it even further. I was just talking about the standard rim on a road car.

Lagoa
07-08-2015, 14:22
I dont use the in game wheel option, its silly. Having two wheel in front of you. Gran Turismo like. So I dont know.

nevertheless, I think it is important to calibrate at the desired rotation degree. Because if you only change it at the base of the wheel I think the FFB in the game will be off and doing weird things.

TrevorAustin
07-08-2015, 14:22
No, on xbox TX I set the base to 360 and then calibrate at 360. Wheel matches ingame wheel. You do need to calibrate or it doesn't match.

But that's the point you shouldn't need to.

You should calibrate at 900 or 1080 then in game it should auto re-calibrate to whatever the in game wheel does. This honestly works perfectly on PC. Every car re-calibrates to exactly what the in game wheel does.

Been having doubts it's working properly on PS4 but now maybe it is both consoles.

Lagoa
07-08-2015, 14:25
But that's the point you shouldn't need to.

You should calibrate at 900 or 1080 then in game it should auto re-calibrate to whatever the in game wheel does. This honestly works perfectly on PC. Every car re-calibrates to exactly what the in game wheel does.

Been having doubts it's working properly on PS4 but now maybe it is both consoles.

I think it does work on Xbox. Just leave it at 900 and calibrate, and let the game do the rest according to what car you drive. But the rotation the game chooses on different cars is still off I think.. GT3 has like 540ish degree and Fa 360 for example.. I'm no racing expert so don't know exactly what these cars are rotating at in real life tho.. But it works fine for me the way I do it.

TrevorAustin
07-08-2015, 14:28
I think it does work on Xbox. Just leave it at 900 and calibrate, and let the game do the rest according to what car you drive. But the rotation the game chooses on different cars is still off I think.. GT3 has like 540ish degree and Fa 360 for example.. I'm no racing expert so don't know exactly what these cars are rotating at in real life tho.. But it works fine for me the way I do it.

Yes that's how it should work, but if I play on my monitor my hand on my physical wheel and the in game hands are in almost identical positions at any rotation angle. I get the feeling a lot aren't, maybe because they don't understand and keep changing the wheel or maybe because of a bug.

DJBLITZKRIEG
07-08-2015, 14:31
oh you mean after I set it on the base, I should go into settings and recalibrate rotation? I will try that now.

Lagoa
07-08-2015, 14:31
Yes that's how it should work, but if I play on my monitor my hand on my physical wheel and the in game hands are in almost identical positions at any rotation angle. I get the feeling a lot aren't, maybe because they don't understand and keep changing the wheel or maybe because of a bug.

I get that, and it does work on xbox. Only I think the rotation the game chooses are still to large... Too many rotations to take turns. But DEF less than the 900 you calibrated at. Anyway, when you set base to 360, calibrate at 360 and then race, everything matches ingame movement and the rotation is as I want it to be. So don't know what it wrong or right.

Lagoa
07-08-2015, 14:34
oh you mean after I set it on the base, I should go into settings and recalibrate rotation? I will try that now.

Yes indeed, and if you set on base 360 degree, you go to control settings and calibrate, on the second proces of calibrating it says go 90 degree, it should then read 360.

DJBLITZKRIEG
07-08-2015, 14:48
done it. Ok it is much more sensitive, actually a little too sensitive. Thats probably just me being used to my previous method. One more question, do I need to calibrate the wheel every time I plug it in?

Lagoa
07-08-2015, 14:56
done it. Ok it is much more sensitive, actually a little too sensitive. Thats probably just me being used to my previous method. One more question, do I need to calibrate the wheel every time I plug it in?

I do it. But I think if you calibrate at 360. The next day you play again and set the base to 360, I don't think you need to calibrate again as you calibrated the day before so the game thinks it is still 360 degrees. Not sure tho, as I always calibrate before racing.. Takes only 20 seconds so don't bother..

Lagoa
07-08-2015, 14:57
You said you changed the steering ratio in the tune setup, make sure this is default again! As it being too sensitive, I also thought in the beginning. Just race a few laps and you'l like it.

Mahjik
07-08-2015, 15:00
Just keep in mind for cars which in real life have more steering range than you are allowing, the steering itself will not be 1:1 (i.e. it will be 1:1 early in the steering but will increase to whatever ratio will allow your max lock to match the real car's max lock). It could make controlling some of the older cars more sensitive as that's typically where you will see more steering used.

DJBLITZKRIEG
07-08-2015, 15:00
just changed it to the highest setting, So I am on 1080 with 20 something ratio. So you think I should go back to default and just get used to it?

Lagoa
07-08-2015, 15:07
Just keep in mind for cars which in real life have more steering range than you are allowing, the steering itself will not be 1:1 (i.e. it will be 1:1 early in the steering but will increase to whatever ratio will allow your max lock to match the real car's max lock). It could make controlling some of the older cars more sensitive as that's typically where you will see more steering used.

If you change at base the desired ratio, then calibrate at that ratio. It is always 1:1. The car will turn as far as your wheel will, doesn't mather how much more steering the car has in real life.

DJBLITZKRIEG
07-08-2015, 15:08
I am using the rapide s. on 1080 with default steering ratio. Spun out the first time on the straight. I think I need to get used to it. I feel that the more sensitive a car gets in relation to the wheel, the more pronounced the input lag becomes on screen.

Mahjik
07-08-2015, 15:11
If you change at base the desired ratio, then calibrate at that ratio. It is always 1:1. The car will turn as far as your wheel will, doesn't mather how much more steering the car has in real life.

That's not true. It appears that way, as that's how the development magic works. If the car in real life has a lock that is 900 degrees and you force your controller to 360, the game engine will "figure out" how to get from 360 to 900 for you. It won't automatically change the car's lock to 360.

Lagoa
07-08-2015, 15:16
That's not true. It appears that way, as that's how the development magic works. If the car in real life has a lock that is 900 degrees and you force your controller to 360, the game engine will "figure out" how to get from 360 to 900 for you. It won't automatically change the car's lock to 360.

Mmh, I never completly understood this.. On my screen if calibrated at the desired ratio, the ingame wheel is on par with my wheel.
Don't know exactly what you mean.

"the game engine will "figure out" how to get from 360 to 900 for you"
You mean from 900 to 360?

Mahjik
07-08-2015, 15:28
Mmh, I never completly understood this.. On my screen if calibrated at the desired ratio, the ingame wheel is on par with my wheel.
Don't know exactly what you mean.

"the game engine will "figure out" how to get from 360 to 900 for you"
You mean from 900 to 360?

It's not related to the virtual steering wheel. It has to do with how your physical steering responses control how far the tires move when you turn the wheel. If the car uses 900 degrees of lock, the steering will be more sensitive if you force 360 because the car will still require 900 degrees. To complete 900 degrees using 360, it cannot be 1:1. It has to be to a higher ratio so the virtual car uses 900 degrees to the player's 360 degrees. You can adjust/counter some of this by adjusting the steering sensitivity but it's really best to use your wheel's full range of motion, and just adjust the steering ratio in the car setup.

TrevorAustin
07-08-2015, 15:36
It's not related to the virtual steering wheel. It has to do with how your physical steering responses control how far the tires move when you turn the wheel. If the car uses 900 degrees of lock, the steering will be more sensitive if you force 360 because the car will still require 900 degrees. To complete 900 degrees using 360, it cannot be 1:1. It has to be to a higher ratio so the virtual car uses 900 degrees to the player's 360 degrees. You can adjust/counter some of this by adjusting the steering sensitivity but it's really best to use your wheel's full range of motion, and just adjust the steering ratio in the car setup.

Either people just aren't getting this or it isn't working on the consoles, there have been loads of posts the last week about it.

beetes_juice
07-08-2015, 15:36
900 on the base and let the game do the work. Don't understand why people are using 270 and 360.

*Trevor- It works on consoles

TrevorAustin
07-08-2015, 15:39
900 on the base and let the game do the work. Don't understand why people are using 270 and 360.

*Trevor- It works on consoles

Can't see why it wouldn't:) just console users not getting it then. It's such a simple concept I can't understand the issue.

beetes_juice
07-08-2015, 15:45
Can't see why it wouldn't:) just console users not getting it then. It's such a simple concept I can't understand the issue.

Gotta remember this is the first proper FFB racer on consoles.:cool:

But really, anyone having issues grasping this. 900 on the wheel, 900 in calibration, if you raised your steering ratio on tunes to compensate for the wrong wheel calibration just play around with the steering ratio setting (lower it if anything).

justonce68
07-08-2015, 15:51
It works fine on consoles, if you find your car doesn't turn in as desired on tight corners you can tweak it in the car tuning set up, there is no need what so ever to change the DOR on your base. Unless of course you prefer too.

Lagoa
07-08-2015, 15:51
I'm not retarted. But the game doesn't go far enought for me. So resulting in way too much rotating to take a corner. And if this is the game's intention, then I don't like it and prefer less rotation.

Mahjik
07-08-2015, 15:56
I'm not retarted. But the game doesn't go far enought for me. So resulting in way too much rotating to take a corner. And if this is the game's intention, then I don't like it and prefer less rotation.

FWIW, I'm not saying you cannot do this.. I am just letting people know there is a consequence to doing this and providing the information so people understand it can possibly have other adverse effects. It likely won't have much effect on a car's who normal lock is low, but will likely see bigger differences with the older cars.

beetes_juice
07-08-2015, 15:59

No problem with that. A few of my good friends online insist on using lower DOR's. From one, he likes a go-cart feel.

Anyway, to much rotation in corners sounds a bit odd. Does take a bit to get used to if your used to lower settings but I rarely find myself ever needing to go hand over hand for tight corners. Try lower the steering ratio if your trying this out for the first time.

TrevorAustin
07-08-2015, 16:04

But the wheel turning is designed to be realistic, what your doing is making it arcade/controller like, your choice but nothing like driving a real car then. Personally seems pointless having the wheel.

Lagoa
07-08-2015, 17:13
But the wheel turning is designed to be realistic, what your doing is making it arcade/controller like, your choice but nothing like driving a real car then. Personally seems pointless having the wheel.

I don't know.. How much rotation is for example an Auston Martin vantage V8 GT4 in real life?

Mahjik
07-08-2015, 17:46
I don't know.. How much rotation is for example an Auston Martin vantage V8 GT4 in real life?

I'm not sure, but what Trevor is referring to is that just because the game allows you to configure the largest lock the wheel will allow doesn't mean it will use that on every car. How it's suppose to work is that the game engine will adjust the wheel for the car. So if you configure a lock of 900, and the car you are driving uses 540 degrees, then it will use 540 degrees.

The issue can be when it is the other way, you have a wheel that is set for less lock than the car. This can happen with older wheels as a lot of wheels never went above 360 or 540 in the past (which is why SMS had to code a way to non-linearly get these lower lock wheels to work with higher lock cars).

amitlr
07-08-2015, 17:47

Exectly that.
Was just driving it on the ring. Have a T300RS on the PS4. 900 rotation set in-game , and wheel in normal mode (1080? 5 blinks)
Still, whenever i watch my replays, the wheel shown is completly off than my initial input.
My input was about 180-200 for the whole race, yet the replay shows around 270-300.
It is not possible a GT4 car needs about 270 degrees of rotation on some high speed corners.
Thats not realistic. something is wrong. And it looks bad when i save my replays.

Here is a video with the Clio Cup , mind my bad driving. You can notice the wheel turns too much, more than i was actually inputting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVm4vCDeaDU

beetes_juice
07-08-2015, 21:02
Exectly that.
Was just driving it on the ring. Have a T300RS on the PS4. 900 rotation set in-game , and wheel in normal mode (1080? 5 blinks)
Still, whenever i watch my replays, the wheel shown is completly off than my initial input.
My input was about 180-200 for the whole race, yet the replay shows around 270-300.
It is not possible a GT4 car needs about 270 degrees of rotation on some high speed corners.
Thats not realistic. something is wrong. And it looks bad when i save my replays.

Here is a video with the Clio Cup , mind my bad driving. You can notice the wheel turns too much, more than i was actually inputting.

Try 4 blinks. And re-calibrate to 900 in-game.

I.E. From a Playstation forum. (http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/DRIVECLUB/T300RS-degrees-of-rotation/td-p/23013128)

T300RS
1 Flash - 270 degrees
2 Flashes - 360 degrees
3 flashes - 540 degrees
4 flashes - 900 degrees
5 flashes - 1080 degrees.

Sproket
07-08-2015, 21:28
I swap between 3 and 4 blinks because most cars feel like driving a Scania! But just try driving round Monaco(Azure) in a Superkart with 540 DOR Barriertastic lol

amitlr
07-08-2015, 22:12
The problem is not with driving the cars, or picking the right rotation angle.
I do play at 900, or 540 changing the base mode only (3,4 flashes), and that's perfect. I match it to the different cars.

My issue is with the way the visual wheel is projected.
Too much rotation compared with the actual input. any idea how to "sync" it? Specifically on replays, as i don't use the cockpit view. I enjoy it on replays.

Didn't see any effect on visuals changing the base modes rotation on the wheel. must be something else.

TrevorAustin
07-08-2015, 22:28
I do play at 900, or 540 changing the base mode only (3,4 flashes), and that's perfect. I match it to the different cars.

Too much rotation compared with the actual input. any idea how to "sync" it? Specifically on replays, as i don't use the cockpit view. I enjoy it on replays.

Didn't see any effect on visuals changing the base modes rotation on the wheel. must be something else.

Lol, but you aren't supposed to change the base mode:) that's why it doesn't match. And you should never be picking a rotation angle, the game does that for you.

Lagoa
07-08-2015, 22:37

If you want your cockpit wheel to have the same input as your actual wheel, you have to calibrate at that DOR. So if you do 3 blinks (540 degree), you have to calibrate the wheel at 540 degrees in the control options screen. Then it will be the same as how you were actually driving it.

Fre.Mo
07-08-2015, 22:46

I red that thrustmaster recommended to calibrate for pcars the t500 at 1080 and the t300 at 900

hotak
07-08-2015, 23:19
Exectly that.

That's actually a bug with replays not saving correctly steering position

amitlr
07-08-2015, 23:42
That's actually a bug with replays not saving correctly steering position

Thank you for that!, that means there isn't much i can do for now until a fix comes around.

On the subject of reply bugs, some of the gauges (boost,oil etc) are not working on replays.
Also gear changes are shown incorrectly, both by animation and the gear number on the LCD.
That can be seen on the replay i posted with the Clio Cup.

Mahjik
08-08-2015, 01:46
On the subject of reply bugs, some of the gauges (boost,oil etc) are not working on replays.

They don't display because they are driven off the physics and full telemetry is not exported with the replays.

justonce68
08-08-2015, 07:41

Retarded.....its retarded, and I don't think anyone was saying you were.