PDA

View Full Version : Formula A catches itself after spin.

Blupp
07-08-2015, 15:47
Hi,

a few days ago I did a Race with the Formula A at hockenheim. I forgot to close my DRS, went into a fast turn and thought: Ok, I'm done. But no, the F1 car always catches itself when a fast spin occurs, you don't even have to countersteer. I tested the same situation a dozen of times and never (I repeat, not even once) spun out. The Formula A car must be bugged or something, it's like a steering help. See for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwQ7M-q4Ug0&feature=youtu.be

I also tried the same situation with the another car and this is the behaviour i expect, even in a f1 car.
I only try to help, maybe it is a bug. If not, why would the car catch itself like that?

3800racingfool
07-08-2015, 16:09
I too noticed it's incredibly easy to catch the formula series cars. Even the B and C cars can be caught with relative ease by just slamming on the brakes as you spin and it almost instantly seems to right you. Being rather uneducated about the dynamics of these cars I'm curious if this is indeed a real world phenomenon and what causes it.

bodyshop
07-08-2015, 16:11
Only possible reason could be the big fat slicks, not so much catching the spin but not allowing it to spin totally.

TheReaper GT
07-08-2015, 16:47
Only possible reason could be the big fat slicks, not so much catching the spin but not allowing it to spin totally.

And the little weight transfer in a lightweight car.

hkraft300
07-08-2015, 17:03
Ye I noticed that in the FA cars but not so much in the FB or Gulf.
I figure it could be the fatter rear tires and the wide rear wing uprights help swing the front back, and this self-correction only seems to happen at high speed.
On low speeds (eg <100mph/160kph) it'll still quickly point the wrong direction.

TheReaper GT
07-08-2015, 17:09
Ye I noticed that in the FA cars but not so much in the FB or Gulf.
I figure it could be the fatter rear tires and the wide rear wing uprights help swing the front back, and this self-correction only seems to happen at high speed.
On low speeds (eg <100mph/160kph) it'll still quickly point the wrong direction.

Agreed, looks like the aero + rich rubber are doing their job correctly. At low speeds is pretty easy to lose the formula cars.

Grijo
07-08-2015, 17:22
Agreed, looks like the aero + rich rubber are doing their job correctly. At low speeds is pretty easy to lose the formula cars.

Yes, itīs easy...and thatīs me proving it

unknwn
07-08-2015, 18:44
Driver below actually tried to catch slide

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qYs9SM7WVk

The only cases that I found where F1 car stops spinning is when driver locks front wheels to loose grip which stops the car spinning, but doesn't realign the car as in pCars (don't remember how this technique is called).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMj9lhJVTLg

Lagoa
07-08-2015, 22:52
Hi,

a few days ago I did a Race with the Formula A at hockenheim. I forgot to close my DRS, went into a fast turn and thought: Ok, I'm done. But no, the F1 car always catches itself when a fast spin occurs, you don't even have to countersteer. I tested the same situation a dozen of times and never (I repeat, not even once) spun out. The Formula A car must be bugged or something, it's like a steering help. See for yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwQ7M-q4Ug0&feature=youtu.be

I also tried the same situation with the another car and this is the behaviour i expect, even in a f1 car.
I only try to help, maybe it is a bug. If not, why would the car catch itself like that?

Which car is that second one in the video?

TheReaper GT
07-08-2015, 22:55
Which car is that second one in the video?

DTM Mercedes

widcard
07-08-2015, 23:06
If anything is being illustrated here is how close this sim is to the real life counterpart.

unknwn
08-08-2015, 00:31
If anything is being illustrated here is how close this sim is to the real life counterpart.

I haven't seen F1 recovering from the spin without any driver input. However I have seen plenty of 180spins even when the driver is trying to catch it(too late). Such behavior (also on some other cars) was bothering me from the 1st day since I got pCars.

hkraft300
08-08-2015, 00:52
Ye I dunno haven't spun an open wheeler or F1 car in real life so I couldn't say for sure lol
Haven't really felt it in another cars. The Lotus 98T doesn't self correct by any means - even with its massive rear tires and relatively small fronts, which could be a product of rearward weight bias and inertia.

pigsy
09-08-2015, 09:02
Slightly off topic. But checkout the AI spin physics. They're not really realistic.