PDA

View Full Version : Best way to start a race

slovoflud
08-08-2015, 16:55
In a high powered car, when the lights go green, what is the bes way to get off the line?
Is there a start procedure? how come the AI is so much faster off the line?

(I'm on manual transmission, no traction control)

How to do it properly?
Thanks!

Stevesixty7
08-08-2015, 16:59
Best way is to anticipate the green light. It's a bit risky, but it's the best way. If you actually wait for the green light to come on, you will lose out every time.

TheReaper GT
08-08-2015, 17:00
On most tracks, third red light comes, revs up, count 2 mississipis (2 seconds) put first and fly like a rocket :D:D

N0body Of The Goat
08-08-2015, 17:18
Race starts, run to your car, turn the engine on and floor it... Hoping no-one behind you already moving hits you and no-one in front of you pulls out right in front of you!

In today's safety conscious rules, it's hard to believe they really did the above in real life.

TheReaper GT
08-08-2015, 17:19
Race starts, run to your car, turn the engine on and floor it... Hoping no-one already moving hits you from the left and no-one to your right pulls out right in front of you!

In today's safety conscious rules, it's hard to believe they really did the above in real life.

Yeah, it was awesome...but unsafe as hell

stangnutlx
08-08-2015, 17:50
another helpful tid bit on a start is to remember to put the car in gear. lol lost a couple last night because of that stupid move..

nhitrac
09-08-2015, 01:04
I find slipping the clutch helps. Dumping the clutch and flooring it will either give you massive wheel spins or completely bog the car down.

Have no problems keeping up with AI @85, most times I have to back off a bit to not run up their backs.

Stevesixty7
09-08-2015, 01:10
I find slipping the clutch helps. Dumping the clutch and flooring it will either give you massive wheel spins or completely bog the car down.

Have no problems keeping up with AI @85, most times I have to back off a bit to not run up their backs.

This is from a perspective that maybe OP was after. Sorry if that's the case.

MrFlibble81
09-08-2015, 01:20
Race starts, run to your car, turn the engine on and floor it... Hoping no-one behind you already moving hits you and no-one in front of you pulls out right in front of you!

Ooh. A Le Man start. I like it...

Headdogg81
09-08-2015, 07:33
What setup exactly you using slovoflud. Clutch or autoclutch? I run auto clutch personally as I don't have three pedal setup. For those that run manual with auto clutch I found the best option is to map the handbrake. You can apply the handbrake on the line, select first well before it goes green and stall up. When the lights drop you can let go of the handbrake and you are in gear ready to go. Autoclutch kicks in (or out) and you are off. Saves a little time selecting the gear itself when the light goes green as you would normally need to do. I found I get away nicely using that method. Obviously if you use a clutch (or auto) disregard.

slovoflud
09-08-2015, 08:49
What setup exactly you using slovoflud. Clutch or autoclutch? I run auto clutch personally as I don't have three pedal setup. For those that run manual with auto clutch I found the best option is to map the handbrake. You can apply the handbrake on the line, select first well before it goes green and stall up. When the lights drop you can let go of the handbrake and you are in gear ready to go. Autoclutch kicks in (or out) and you are off. Saves a little time selecting the gear itself when the light goes green as you would normally need to do. I found I get away nicely using that method. Obviously if you use a clutch (or auto) disregard.

I'm on t300 kit pedals, so only two pedals for me, no clutch and I use manual transmission.
Thanks for the advice!

Headdogg81
09-08-2015, 22:07
Let me know how you find it mate and if you find a better way also. The only downside I have found to my method is the lack of assignable buttons on console and you need to map the handbrake which is otherwise useless. If only MS would allow a button box or maybe SMS integrate something into smartglass for additional buttons. Fingers crossed but not holding my breath.

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar
09-08-2015, 22:22
I certainly get miffed that there isn't a clutch on the T300 when I get pole and almost always get passed off the line. With some cars, putting it in 2nd and hitting the accelerator on green works well. Not with most cars though. I've tried the hold brake method, but the engine just bogs down after a couple seconds. Does the handbrake method work differently?

Headdogg81
09-08-2015, 22:54
I have found it works better. Provided you have auto clutch enabled it should engage the clutch allowing you to stall the car while having a gear selected. Its a little quicker than the stall in neutral and select gear on green method I have found. Test it out yourself and let me know how it compares to your other method.

Ryzza5
09-08-2015, 23:52
A tip from Ben Collins (at least for real life motorsport), is to look out for the red lights going off, not the green one turning on.

It's probably also worth discussing how much throttle/revs to launch with and how long you let the clutch slip. This will be very different per car. Perhaps try researching the Internet for some real life tips for getting the perfect launch in a given car and see how they apply in the sim.

slovoflud
10-08-2015, 21:38
A tip from Ben Collins (at least for real life motorsport), is to look out for the red lights going off, not the green one turning on.

It's probably also worth discussing how much throttle/revs to launch with and how long you let the clutch slip. This will be very different per car. Perhaps try researching the Internet for some real life tips for getting the perfect launch in a given car and see how they apply in the sim.

Well with an F1 ar they have a launch procedure, not in pCars though..
I've tried a couple more different methods but still the slowest one off the line, as in a couple of seconds everyone around me begin to pass

Murt
10-08-2015, 23:29
What setup exactly you using slovoflud. Clutch or autoclutch? I run auto clutch personally as I don't have three pedal setup. For those that run manual with auto clutch I found the best option is to map the handbrake. You can apply the handbrake on the line, select first well before it goes green and stall up. When the lights drop you can let go of the handbrake and you are in gear ready to go.

I might give this a go myself. Thanks Headdogg. I usually leave it in N rev it up, anticipate the green and go. As mentioned it is risky and can either win you or cost you the race. Not sure how this will change when the patch comes out so the handbrake could be the go

mantukas334
11-08-2015, 00:02
handbrake

hkraft300
11-08-2015, 01:13
I have handbrake mapped but don't use it for launch (DS4, auto clutch which I hate in this game for various reasons).
A moment after the 3rd red comes on I'll put it in gear, rev a little, anticipate the green and release the brakes. Rev it too early, you'll bog down or jump the start.
Usually just smoke it in 1st and get just enough speed to short shift to 2nd without bogging down.

Headdogg81
11-08-2015, 02:11
I came across a downside to the handbrake method. On start lines with slight slopes you can end up jumping the lights unless you have a little brake as well. Some cars obviously do not have the handbrake. It will still engage the auto clutch but you will roll a little off the line. Found this out last night on Spa.