PDA

View Full Version : Are pit crews coming in patch 3.0?

fa-racing
08-08-2015, 23:14
If not, roughly when?

Dorny
08-08-2015, 23:45
When it's done

kjay
09-08-2015, 04:19
Are pit crews mentioned in the release notes?
Don't you think it would be if it was included?

fa-racing
09-08-2015, 05:16
When it's done

Ok smart ass.

The pits are pretty lack luster with out them. I would have thought after 3 whole months have gone by that they would be in the game by now.

fa-racing
09-08-2015, 05:16
Are pit crews mentioned in the release notes?
Don't you think it would be if it was included?

It does also say that the release notes aren't final too.

Azure Flare
09-08-2015, 05:18
A pitcrew for all the racing disciplines can't just be made in 3 key strokes.

AdM1
09-08-2015, 05:20
No I'll be surprised if it comes to 3.0, I think it's reasonably low priority atm but it'll be done in due time.

FoxMulder
09-08-2015, 06:02
Not that they had 3-4 yrs of development prior release but hey I'm not gonna complain. They just recently were talking in another post about the possibility of implementing pitcrew only for race cars and that they gonna look into that option. Just because of that I really doubt it's coming soon since just thinking about the option means they're not far into programming these animations at all.

Pink_650S
09-08-2015, 06:36
A pitcrew for all the racing disciplines can't just be made in 3 key strokes.

Not the best argument.

Cholton82
09-08-2015, 06:54
I imagine it's hard to do .
In say an F1 game the cars are all the same so the positions of wheels , bumpers etc and position of the pit crew are all the same , with PCars even if we take the GT3 class alone the cars are slightly different with wheels and overall measurements , then there is FA , FB , FC , FG , FR , LMP1 , LMP2 , LMP3 ,GT3 , GT4 plus all the other cars and classes .

AngelBrow
09-08-2015, 07:50
The big question is...

Will they only change tyres and refuel? Or will the also come carring with a bumper if youve lost it? Will they clean your front windscreen (really they dont need to cos it doesnt get dirty) but they should add that feature.

Is the car really damaged, will they roll you into the garage so more guys can work on the car at the same time? That would cool stuff :P be stuck in the pits for 50 minutes or something.

Olijke Poffer
09-08-2015, 09:04
For me there is no need for a pit crew. Put the effort, to make the pit crew, in something more important..

ELAhrairah
09-08-2015, 12:26
I have to agree with the above post : pit crew not very important..it is a nice add on but it can wait.

PJB04
09-08-2015, 13:20
When it's done

Why do some of you WMD members think you have the right to be sarcastic rather than helpful.
So much for a community.

Liquid7394
09-08-2015, 14:01
Why do some of you WMD members think you have the right to be sarcastic rather than helpful.
So much for a community.
He isn't being sarcastic though, the pit crews will be implemented when they're completed. No one, except SMS, knows when they will exactly be released but they will be released when they are released. That's the most helpful answer you'll get because that's all people know.

lacslyer
09-08-2015, 14:27
He isn't being sarcastic though, the pit crews will be implemented when they're completed. No one, except SMS, knows when they will exactly be released but they will be released when they are released. That's the most helpful answer you'll get because that's all people know.

Except your answer was considerably more helpful than the one he quoted. Therein proving his point.

FoxMulder
09-08-2015, 17:47
Imo if it's a sim it has to a have pitcrew and warm up lap plus safety car, not sure about safety car caution period in mid race cuz there is no need for a car to be towed or debris to be removed. Also a more populated pit lane and manually driving into the pits would be terrific.

Azure Flare
09-08-2015, 22:43
Not the best argument.

A frightningly large group of people (on all platforms) seem to think that a new patch or a new piece of DLC takes no more than 10 minutes to make. For example, If you have ever read the GT6 section on GTPlanet, it's every other thread and every 7 posts.

ukfan758
09-08-2015, 23:32
Adding the pit crew in Project Cars isn't like in the F1 games where the pit crew is relatively the same for each team or in the Gran Turismo series where the same pit crew is used for all cars regardless if it is a Audi LMP1 or a Nissan Panda. I think SMS wants to take their time and design a pit crew for each class of cars so it is more life like. Or, they might adapt the same pit crew for each car. Also, Project Cars has a smaller development team compared to the other games I mentioned, so it will probably take longer, but knowing SMS, the time will be well worth it :).

Sasquatch
09-08-2015, 23:45
In say an F1 game the cars are all the same so the positions of wheels , bumpers etc and position of the pit crew are all the same , with PCars even if we take the GT3 class alone the cars are slightly different with wheels and overall measurements , then there is FA , FB , FC , FG , FR , LMP1 , LMP2 , LMP3 ,GT3 , GT4 plus all the other cars and classes .
Didn't Ian say it was extremely complicated enough to do a unique crew for each car? I'm just most of you all have seen Gran Turismo's pit crew... they're all in a generic spot, the samething no matter the car... and you would understand the frustration of the crew not being right... as you pull the DeltaWing for a stop in GT6.

Trice300
13-08-2015, 04:59
Maybe you guys need help i could get in touch with code masters if you guys are interested even the history of nascar can pull off pit crew animation and the games aren't even that fun

Trice300
13-08-2015, 05:04
They need code masters help getting pit crew animation probably just a thought

NemethR
13-08-2015, 06:27

Are you saying:

It is possible to model each little part of a car, just as they do, and then they cannot align pit workers to these parts... lol
No, its not that hard, its much harder to build a car, not to mention a racetrack.

Just like the Speedometer in the BMW 1 series Coupé.
Its not in line with the real speed of the car, example, driving at 100km/h it shows 80.

The answer to that was: Because it is not linear, and the game engine does not "like it".
And?! Then don't script it, but do it manually, you only need to place around 250 points to where the arrow should point,
and smooth transitions between them.

Again its much harder to model the suspension of the car, then to fix this issue.

ProjectCARSFiend
13-08-2015, 09:39
When it's done

Can I ask if they are currently being worked on and what priority are they at the moment?

ProjectCARSFiend
13-08-2015, 09:45
For me there is no need for a pit crew. Put the effort, to make the pit crew, in something more important..

Not important? This is supposed to be a sim racer, and pit-stops are just as big of a deal then anything else in this game. Plus since this is a sim, doesn't that mean everything is supposed to be as realistic as it would be in real life? It's just not really very realistic to drive into the pits and just have one guy standing there.

Iamlegion
13-08-2015, 10:02
Not important? This is supposed to be a sim racer, and pit-stops are just as big of a deal then anything else in this game. Plus since this is a sim, doesn't that mean everything is supposed to be as realistic as it would be in real life? It's just not really very realistic to drive into the pits and just have one guy standing there.

The point is that it isn't essential. The pit crew can do somersaults around the car for all I care, if the tire pressure or tires are wrong after the pit, THAT is a priority.

Dorny
20-08-2015, 17:32
So much for a community.

In no way am I being sarcastic, I was telling you how it is and I kept it short and abrupt because its a question that has been asked a billion times before. Just do a basic search of this forum and there will be loads of other threads and posts about it. So its tiring saying the same answer over and over again.

There was working version of the animated pits during development in WMD and it was very glitchy/WIP and animations didn't align up correctly, or didnt trigger correctly or even show up and it only worked on certain test cars ie one from each type of racing. You can see a version of it in the game's intro (look at 0:20) but it was taken at an angle that was hiding problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjIi-FZ5T5Q

I think SMS didn't realise how big of a job it would actually be, and people on here dont realise how big of an animation job it is. Games like codemaster's F1 only have really one type of car so the wheels, drivers and fuel ports are in the same position. So you only really need to do one set of animations which can be applied to the whole car set. Other games force you to be in the cockpit view or another restriction very so corners can be cut animation wise as the player can fully see it.

SMS want to have fully bespoke animations that are correct for different racing series (race series use different ways of refuelling and pitting), totally different cars within those racing series ( A Ruf GT3 is totally different dimensions and fuel port locations compared to a Audi GT3) and they want to be seen animated correctly in chase cam. So you have all these bespoke animations, then you have to code the timings, orientation,blending and triggers for all these animations to create a cohesive experience.

Its a very complex and big animation job, its going to take time.

legendm0de
20-08-2015, 18:28
In my novice opinion, this can't be easy at all to do. Someone mentioned old games from the NASCAR series could do this but that was never true. Only the player car received a pit crew while the remaining field was serviced by ghosts until they magically drove off. Back to my point, syncing all of the requirements of pit lane in every different racing class is probably littered with so many errors the task alone seems impossible.

Be fair and imagine, 15-20 AI cars coming through pit lane, then the remaining cars on track including you. That means well over 100 individual AI pit members need to be modeled and active all at once. The polygon count for that is probably going to be less than impressive in order to work on all 4 systems. Remember they're supposed to still come out with this for WiiU. The RAM must be working beyond it's limits already in order to pull off so many of these animations and high def graphics at 1 freaking time.

Look at games like GTA and compare, you never see anything close to that amount of action and AI at work all at one time in highest def. There is a reason why you don't see but a limited amount of action in GTA games at once. Someone mentioned a damaged car carrying replacement parts, imagine the chaos on track and at pit lane all coming together at once. You think there are bugs now, it's inevitable. Imagine how perfect they would have to get the code in order to achieve this without anyone, including me, bitching. It's an award worthy breakthrough if they could do it.

mermoid
20-08-2015, 19:59
I would much rather have manual driving in the pit lane than pit crews, and it'd be a lot easier to implement too.

ONT
20-08-2015, 23:10
I would much rather have manual driving in the pit lane than pit crews, and it'd be a lot easier to implement too.

Sasquatch
21-08-2015, 01:04
I think SMS didn't realise how big of a job it would actually be, and people on here dont realise how big of an animation job it is. Games like codemaster's F1 only have really one type of car so the wheels, drivers and fuel ports are in the same position. So you only really need to do one set of animations which can be applied to the whole car set. Other games force you to be in the cockpit view or another restriction very so corners can be cut animation wise as the player can fully see it.

SMS want to have fully bespoke animations that are correct for different racing series (race series use different ways of refuelling and pitting), totally different cars within those racing series ( A Ruf GT3 is totally different dimensions and fuel port locations compared to a Audi GT3) and they want to be seen animated correctly in chase cam. So you have all these bespoke animations, then you have to code the timings, orientation,blending and triggers for all these animations to create a cohesive experience.

Its a very complex and big animation job, its going to take time.
Honestly the common ignorance developers take makes me cringe. Games these days are immense work, and really gone are the days a three man team can execute such a complex game ( LiveForSpeed, anyone? ) But LFS does really none of these things, let alone i'm still surprised the guys over at LFS are still supporting their game since 2003. People on Driveclub's facebook think track locations, cars, etc are easy to create because they paid $60 for it. It's painful to see that. But not relevant.

If anyone wants to take a gander of what complex a job that pit animations are, look at Gran Turismo 5 & 6. Hardly any of the pit crew are actually correct to the car, and it's heavily generic stage. Rolling a DeltaWing into the pits is kind of weird in GT6. Nothing matchs, it's not bespoke.

x ImJakeyy
21-08-2015, 01:59
I have a feeling its getting major bugs fixed on all platforms first, then tackle the pit crews for all disciplines of racing

NemethR
21-08-2015, 12:45
They could have put them in, and then just fine-tune it later.

Bealdor
21-08-2015, 12:48
They could have put them in, and then just fine-tune it later.

Why? It's only an animation. The only function it has is to look good.

Why would you want to release an eye-candy-only feature when it still looks wrong?

NemethR
21-08-2015, 13:02
Why? It's only an animation. The only function it has is to look good.

Why would you want to release an eye-candy-only feature when it still looks wrong?

Because the game was advertised like it, because they are featured in the intro, and because its still better, then not having it. :)

Francorchamps
21-08-2015, 15:37
They could have added pit crews for the Formula series as all the cars in those series are the same in every class.

x ImJakeyy
21-08-2015, 16:13
They could have added pit crews for the Formula series as all the cars in those series are the same in every class.

Incorrect, all cars are different diameters, different re-fueling points and various other things.

Why add for one series only and risk bugs of them appearing in other series.

Just wait it out and they will come

Francorchamps
21-08-2015, 17:23
Incorrect, all cars are different diameters, different re-fueling points and various other things.

Why add for one series only and risk bugs of them appearing in other series.

Just wait it out and they will come

Bullshit! All cars are the same in their class. Every Formula A car has the same diameters, same re-fueling points, everything is the same except for their liveries. The same goes for Formula B and so on. Why would this lead to bugs and why would they appear in other series?

x ImJakeyy
21-08-2015, 18:42
Bullshit! All cars are the same in their class. Every Formula A car has the same diameters, same re-fueling points, everything is the same except for their liveries. The same goes for Formula B and so on. Why would this lead to bugs and why would they appear in other series?

There is more than one formula series in the game, and as you said why didn't they add them for FORMULA series.

You do realise a Formula A is bigger than a Formula B, Same with C's and Rookies?

Also its more work than 2-4 lines of code, it will be added when its added, simple.

John Hargreaves
21-08-2015, 21:37
The big question is...

Will they only change tyres and refuel? Or will the also come carring with a bumper if youve lost it? Will they clean your front windscreen (really they dont need to cos it doesnt get dirty) but they should add that feature.

Is the car really damaged, will they roll you into the garage so more guys can work on the car at the same time? That would cool stuff :P be stuck in the pits for 50 minutes or something.

I remember seeing early test animations of a windscreen wiping guy during development, it was very cool and I hope he makes it into the final pit crew. The fixing of damage could be a bit beyond the scope of what is possible though, as there are just so many variables to consider.

Racer Pro
21-08-2015, 21:39
fix the ps4 3.0 crash before pit crew

Sasquatch
21-08-2015, 21:53
fix the ps4 3.0 crash before pit crew

what 3.0 crash?

Francorchamps
21-08-2015, 23:50
There is more than one formula series in the game, and as you said why didn't they add them for FORMULA series.

You do realise a Formula A is bigger than a Formula B, Same with C's and Rookies?

Also its more work than 2-4 lines of code, it will be added when its added, simple.

You understood me wrong. I meant a different pit crew for every class. So not the same pit crew for A used for B. What I meant is that every car on the grid is the same car. And yes I do know that it's more than a few lines of code but they have been working how many years? So don't tell me they could not have added them. The only reason we have to wait is because in other series not all the cars on the grid are the same. They could have add them for the formula series like I said before.

And again read it like i'm typing it. I said COULD not should!

diesel97
22-08-2015, 00:46
You understood me wrong. I meant a different pit crew for every class. So not the same pit crew for A used for B. What I meant is that every car on the grid is the same car. And yes I do know that it's more than a few lines of code but they have been working how many years? So don't tell me they could not have added them. The only reason we have to wait is because in other series not all the cars on the grid are the same. They could have add them for the formula series like I said before.

And again read it like i'm typing it. I said COULD not should!

somebody else that has more coding expertises than somebody that does it for living . Maybe that pit code comes in a packit and to break that packit code up breaks the packit

Racer Pro
22-08-2015, 00:59
what 3.0 crash? project cars on ps4 with patch 3.0 crash 2 or 3 time every day

Sasquatch
22-08-2015, 21:25
project cars on ps4 with patch 3.0 crash 2 or 3 time every day

I haven't experienced a crash since 1.0.

Racer Pro
22-08-2015, 21:27
I haven't experienced a crash since 1.0.
its good for you , but for me and lot of people the game crash

Sasquatch
22-08-2015, 22:11
its good for you , but for me and lot of people the game crash

I saw your thread. Common solution seems to rebuild the PS4's database. Which I did before 2.0 launched. I haven't had a issue (besides thrustmaster hiccups, and a disappearing HUD) since 3.0, and i've done 100% races most of the time. Decently long sessions.

Are you sure your system isn't simply overheating?

Racer Pro
22-08-2015, 22:16
I saw your thread. Common solution seems to rebuild the PS4's database. Which I did before 2.0 launched. I haven't had a issue (besides thrustmaster hiccups, and a disappearing HUD) since 3.0, and i've done 100% races most of the time. Decently long sessions.

Are you sure your system isn't simply overheating?
i make everything is not on my side, and the game crash after 10 minutes no time to overheating in 10 minutes

Sasquatch
22-08-2015, 22:25
Have you thought that's pretty extreme to be happening to a supposed big percentage of people?

Racer Pro
22-08-2015, 22:28
Have you thought that's pretty extreme to be happening to a supposed big percentage of people?
i have no time to debate with you about that you are not a developer.

AdM1
22-08-2015, 22:38
i make everything is not on my side, and the game crash after 10 minutes no time to overheating in 10 minutes

This is why I'm glad MS thoroughly test their patches to avoid this sort of thing.

Sasquatch
22-08-2015, 23:10
i have no time to debate with you about that you are not a developer.
You are quick to respond atleast. :p