PDA

View Full Version : Low FPS - Low GPU and CPU utilisation on DK2 - Help

mintlin
11-08-2015, 01:07
Hi,
I've been trying to get good FPS for pCars on Oculus DK2 with all graphics settings set to low or off except for the Texturing filtering (set to x16 as lowering this does not contribute to fps)
with the following system.

With a quick race, I am getting around 37fps at the beginning of the race and stabilises around 50fps after that.
CPU utilisation is around 80% with 4 cores no HyperThreading and 60% on 8 virtual cores with HyperThreading.
GPU utilisation is around 65% at all times.
I've tried deleting the graphics settings xml file. I've also tried with VSync on/off.

I have Steam Limited Edition pCars (2.5.0.0) and latest catalyst 15.7 driver installed. I am running Oculus SDK 0.6.0.1.

Intel Xeon E1230v3 @ 3.6Ghz, Gigabyte GA-H87M-D3H, 16GB DDR3 1600
ATI Radeon 7970 Ghz, Samsung Evo 840 - 256GB SSD
Oculus Rift DK2
Windows 8.1 Pro

Launch options: -dx11mt -skipcrowds -pthreads 4

Please help me get more fps with more CPU/GPU utilisation!

Thanks!

Mahjik
11-08-2015, 01:13
Have you looked through the following thread?

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21856-Oculus-rift-DK2-Setup-Guide

mintlin
11-08-2015, 01:24
Yes I did. That was the first thread I checked when setting up the DK2 for pCars.

TrevorAustin
11-08-2015, 09:58
I think you're stuck until the next patch.

Anything under 75fps is crap now on the dk2.

Have you got aa turned off? Not even msaa.

Once ome core hits 80% the cpu stops serving the gpu and getting over 65% gpu is reallyhard right now.

There is some redundant sli code in the dk2 render path that is getting removed in patch 3.0, very hopeful that this will make things a lot better.

But your cpu will be limiting you right now.

Try turning all settings to their lowest, make sure AA is OFF then if you can get 75fps (matbe not on the start grid but soon after), with say 20 cars, deffo no more for now, gradually increase cars and settings until you hit the fps wall.

Good luck.

mintlin
11-08-2015, 10:53
Thanks TrevorAustin. I've disabled the AA to none and and not even MSAA. And even then I'm getting no love on the fps.

Ok looks like a waiting game for patch 3.0 and dk2's sdk 0.7

TrevorAustin
11-08-2015, 11:00
Thanks TrevorAustin. I've disabled the AA to none and and not even MSAA. And even then I'm getting no love on the fps.

Ok looks like a waiting game for patch 3.0 and dk2's sdk 0.7

Yep, although you've also got the AMD driver issue to deal with. I do hope 0.7 gives win10 support. I think that's your big win.

CptAhnungslos
14-08-2015, 17:03
Probably the same issue here.
Iīm on Win 8.1, Driver 355.60(new one) and I always used to SLI 970īs for pCars but something is wrong now.
Iīm magically capped to exactly 50 FPS! Even if I set everything down it will not go 1 Fps higher than 50.
Only when I use just one card (set it in NVCP), I get more than 50 FPS, but with just one 970 itīs not enough power.
Could try the older driver but I donīt want to ;)
I guess I (we) have to wait till Griff is back from his well deserved vacations and we will see what he will do with the new Oculus SDK 0.7.

ReneB
14-08-2015, 17:14
Probably the same issue here.
Iīm on Win 8.1, Driver 355.62(new one) and I always used to SLI 970īs for pCars but something is wrong now.
Iīm magically capped to exactly 50 FPS! Even if I set everything down it will not go 1 Fps higher than 50.
Only when I use just one card (set it in NVCP), I get more than 50 FPS, but with just one 970 itīs not enough power.
Could try the older driver but I donīt want to ;)
I guess I (we) have to wait till Griff is back from his well deserved vacations and we will see what he will do with the new Oculus SDK 0.7.

Is this for sure confirmed by many people? Was hoping it would be back to the same quality as when it first launched...been waiting a while for playable oculus support to return. Obviously I will try it myself when I get home and report back. Assetto is still playable - and iRacing is just awesome - but I still wouldn't mind something different every once in a while. That's too bad about this.

Is there any known way - I don't care if it disables multiplayer - is there any known way to go back to a previous version? I have no idea how to do that - but it seems like there must be a way - right?