PDA

View Full Version : native or default rotation for cars?

Gravit8
11-08-2015, 04:00
Just curious what type rotation some specific cars in PCars have.
What is it in real life and is that the default for game as well?

Ariel Atoms? Are these 270? Or street 900?

Radicals? 270?

Caterhams? 900?

All formulas are 270 I assume?

As well as lmp's & prototypes?

I assume most or all of GT classes are 900?

Anyway would love to know the real life rotations and the defaults in game

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
11-08-2015, 04:36
Just curious what type rotation some specific cars in PCars have.
What is it in real life and is that the default for game as well?

Ariel Atoms? Are these 270? Or street 900?

Radicals? 270?

Caterhams? 900?

All formulas are 270 I assume?

As well as lmp's & prototypes?

I assume most or all of GT classes are 900?

Anyway would love to know the real life rotations and the defaults in gameYou're thinking about it the wrong way around. Not that many cars limit the rotations of the steering wheel directly, the limiting factor is how far the tyres can turn (= steering lock). There's usually a mechanical limit to how far the tyres can turn before the linkages bind or the tyres start rubbing the wheelwells or something, or could just be the length of the rack in the rack and pinion steering system. Around 18-25 degrees from center to lock for a racing car and around 28-35 degrees for a road car is fairly normal.

So you get the limit of how far the steering can go from that. After that you apply the steering ratio. So if you have 30 degrees of steering lock and a 10:1 ratio, you have 300 degrees from center to lock = 600 degrees total of steering wheel rotation for that car and that steering ratio. With 20:1 steering ratio you'd get 600 degrees center to lock = 1200 degrees total. The game adjusts for this automatically based on the steering ratio setting in the setup, so you only need to calibrate your wheel to the maximum range it can use, adjust the steering ratio so that it feels nice and responsive to you, and let the game handle the rest. =)

Gravit8
11-08-2015, 21:08
You're thinking about it the wrong way around. Not that many cars limit the rotations of the steering wheel directly, the limiting factor is how far the tyres can turn (= steering lock). There's usually a mechanical limit to how far the tyres can turn before the linkages bind or the tyres start rubbing the wheelwells or something, or could just be the length of the rack in the rack and pinion steering system. Around 18-25 degrees from center to lock for a racing car and around 28-35 degrees for a road car is fairly normal.

So you get the limit of how far the steering can go from that. After that you apply the steering ratio. So if you have 30 degrees of steering lock and a 10:1 ratio, you have 300 degrees from center to lock = 600 degrees total of steering wheel rotation for that car and that steering ratio. With 20:1 steering ratio you'd get 600 degrees center to lock = 1200 degrees total. The game adjusts for this automatically based on the steering ratio setting in the setup, so you only need to calibrate your wheel to the maximum range it can use, adjust the steering ratio so that it feels nice and responsive to you, and let the game handle the rest. =)

Thanks. Then knowing the setups in the cars would help? How could we get more info to utilize the max rage it can use? I'd like to know their in game setup. I won't be leaving my wheel at 900. Likely 360-540
From now on.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
12-08-2015, 04:38
Any specific reason why you won't leave it to 900 degrees? The game automatically limits the range to whatever is appropriate for the car. =/