PDA

View Full Version : T3PA pedals for TX

STEELJOCKEY
11-08-2015, 09:18
Thinking of buying these pedals mainly for hopefully a better brake feel and therefore control. Not really interested in the clutch side just yet, unless I decide to get the shifter.

Question, could I still run the clutch as automatic, but if I use the clutch pedal does it override the auto clutch?

TrevorAustin
11-08-2015, 09:42
Yes and yes, but personal experience the brake is no better.

STEELJOCKEY
11-08-2015, 10:35
I did a brake mod on my old 360 wheel, stiffer spring, gave a nicer brake pedal feel. Was hoping this would be the case here too, more progressive, especially with the brake mod also

Dan77 DESTROYER
11-08-2015, 11:15
Just recently modded my tx pedals with two rc shocks and the difference it has made is quite surprising, 17.99 well spent.

I've also moved the spring that was the original brake pedal spring and moved it over to the excelerator pedal which gives it a much better feel for balancing the throttle.

STEELJOCKEY
11-08-2015, 11:48
Thought about that myself, which is what I did on my original 360 pedals. I like the adjustability and progressiveness I think I'll get with the brake mod though.

Dan77 DESTROYER
11-08-2015, 12:06
Thought about that myself, which is what I did on my original 360 pedals. I like the adjustability and progressiveness I think I'll get with the brake mod though.

The progressiveness is really good, ive tried them with and without shock oil and have settled on half filling them with shock oil which gives me a nice resistance about half way down the travel of the pedal,
Without oil they feel nice but didn't have the progressive feel, just felt the same all the way through the pedal,
I found that if they were full with oil they were too stiff/slow and weren't responsive, now they are very responsive and almost feel like a real brake pedal minus the feedback obviously.

OverHaased
11-08-2015, 13:56
Not sure how modifying the stock pedals could come close to having the rubber stop that feels (Once adjusted) exactly how a real pedal feels when you are at the threshold. The Rubber stop changed everything about how I was able to drive. I no longer had to have muscle memory at the lock up point but could go to the actual point the peddle gets "hard" and then push a little into it to achieve post threshold.

Dan77 DESTROYER
11-08-2015, 15:08
Not sure how modifying the stock pedals could come close to having the rubber stop that feels (Once adjusted) exactly how a real pedal feels when you are at the threshold. The Rubber stop changed everything about how I was able to drive. I no longer had to have muscle memory at the lock up point but could go to the actual point the peddle gets "hard" and then push a little into it to achieve post threshold.

I would say the rubber stop limits you somewhat where as I've got full adjustability via two springs and also the oil inside the shocks. The feel is very good.

inthebagbud
11-08-2015, 16:18
Just recently modded my tx pedals with two rc shocks and the difference it has made is quite surprising, 17.99 well spent.

I've also moved the spring that was the original brake pedal spring and moved it over to the excelerator pedal which gives it a much better feel for balancing the throttle.

Any chance of posting a picture of how you did this

Think I found something similar on the interweb ?

http://www.isrtv.com/thrustmaster/thrustmaster-tx-or-t300-rc-shock-brake-mod/

Sure I recognise the name PTG Ty1er Ward from somewhere :rolleyes:

Dan77 DESTROYER
11-08-2015, 17:19

^This is the thread i got my info from^ ;)
I couldn't source the integy shocks on Amazon at the time so went for these http://www.amazon.co.uk/BS502-003-HI502-003-Scale-Absorber-Damper/dp/B00GIEQEY8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439312874&sr=8-1&keywords=125mm+rc+shocks

Fitted the same way but I tested them out with various combinations after descovering they were oil filled which made them very slow on the return travel so I tryed without oil which solved that problem but they didn't have the progressive feel so I half filled both shocks back up with oil which gives me two stage braking, first stage is light to medium braking pressure then second stage (hitting the oil in the shock) gives me a real brake pedal feel which I have to push to the end to go into lock up territory.
I would definatly recommend it to anyone using stock tx pedals that wants a better feeling brake, as I said in a previous post I also took the original brake spring out and moved it over to the throttle which has improved that too.

MrLiister
12-08-2015, 09:30
For now I've gone the cheap mod route with a bit of hose pipe inside the brake spring which gives stiffness to the pedal and some progressiveness at the end too. But no doubt I will follow the spring route eventually and have added the springs from the link above to my wish list, thanks for that!

Here's a link to the mod I am using now. http://www.forzamotorsport.co.uk/showthread.php?t=34085

MrLiister
13-08-2015, 12:25
Fitted the same way but I tested them out with various combinations after descovering they were oil filled which made them very slow on the return travel so I tryed without oil which solved that problem but they didn't have the progressive feel so I half filled both shocks back up with oil which gives me two stage braking, first stage is light to medium braking pressure then second stage (hitting the oil in the shock) gives me a real brake pedal feel which I have to push to the end to go into lock up territory.

Hey Dan, just out of interest did you try with only one shock or went straight with two?

Haiden
13-08-2015, 15:05

I installed this mod, as well. It's a huge improvement over the standard braking pedal. Like the OP, I didn't want to the T3PA pedals, because I'm not interested in using a clutch. I used the recommended two shocks for my brake, but I thinking about installing one on the throttle to stiffen that up a bit, as well.

Dan77 DESTROYER
13-08-2015, 15:27
Hey Dan, just out of interest did you try with only one shock or went straight with two?

Went with two as one didn't give me the feel I was after, I tried out all possible combinations before settling with what I have now :)

@Haiden try putting the original spring from the brake onto the excelerator pedal and see how that feels, I've moved mine over and it feels really good, not too much resistance but enough to give you a good feel so you can balance the throttle when needed ;) and it's free :D

TrevorAustin
13-08-2015, 15:31
That shock mod looks interesting! Looks like I might have to try that this weekend now my CSPs have died.

MrLiister
13-08-2015, 18:34
I'm really tempted with the spring mod but at the same time scared I will screw them up lol, tbh though I'm 90% sure I will get the T3PA's within a few months. That conical break mod looks sweet plus I will also be getting a shifter too.

MrLiister
13-08-2015, 18:36
Yes and yes, but personal experience the brake is no better.

Have you used the T3PA's with the conical mod Trevor?

PTG Ty1er Ward
16-08-2015, 13:43

I personally didn't care for the T3PAs. The gas pedal has even less resistance than the stock pedals and the rubber conical brake mod was way too stiff (people have said it softens over time). The PRO pedals are a different story, which makes no sense to me at all that they're only around $50 more. It's like a new 370z priced at 35K and the GTR is 40K. I realize money is relative but having used both sets I can truly tell you as a 41 year old man I would be mowing 10 of my neighbors lawns at $5 each if I had to to make up the difference (even if you don't plan on using the clutch). I still don't use the rubber mod but it has one that is a spring instead of the rubber cone, which I love. I still use the stock pedals with the RC shocks for cars that I prefer to left foot brake with (open wheelers/prototypes/karts).

OverHaased
16-08-2015, 19:13
I personally didn't care for the T3PAs. The gas pedal has even less resistance than the stock pedals and the rubber conical brake mod was way too stiff (people have said it softens over time). The PRO pedals are a different story, which makes no sense to me at all that they're only around $50 more. It's like a new 370z priced at 35K and the GTR is 40K. I realize money is relative but having used both sets I can truly tell you as a 41 year old man I would be mowing 10 of my neighbors lawns at $5 each if I had to to make up the difference (even if you don't plan on using the clutch). I still don't use the rubber mod but it has one that is a spring instead of the rubber cone, which I love. I still use the stock pedals with the RC shocks for cars that I prefer to left foot brake with (open wheelers/prototypes/karts).

How many real cars have you driven that have throttle peddle resistance?

The brake needs to be able to be "stopped" and these mods do a poor job of simulating real hydraulic pressure. The T3 brake with a correctly adjusted conical rubber stop is as close as I have ever felt.

STEELJOCKEY
16-08-2015, 20:00
That's basically what I'm looking for, and whereas the T3PA pedals are $190 here, the PRO pedals are going for $360, nearly twice as much. Not sure I can quite justify paying twice as much for a brake mod and a clutch I might use eventually

TrevorAustin
16-08-2015, 20:02

Hi, yes, absolutely hated it. Although I'm going to have to get used to it as looks like my CSPs need a new PCP not load cell. So had to get some as using the lutch as a brake isn't much good:)

Going to try the RC shock mod on these when they arrive tomorrow, as I've got one spare from changing the CSP one and they came in pairs.

PTG Ty1er Ward
16-08-2015, 20:10
That's basically what I'm looking for, and whereas the T3PA pedals are $190 here, the PRO pedals are going for $360, nearly twice as much. Not sure I can quite justify paying twice as much for a brake mod and a clutch I might use eventually

Ahhhh, here in the U.S. you can get T3PAs for around $90 and the PRO's $140. Where ever you are the price difference is very significant and does make much more sense based on my own personal experience.

TrevorAustin
16-08-2015, 20:14
Ahhhh, here in the U.S. you can get T3PAs for around $90 and the PRO's $140. Where ever you are the price difference is very significant and does make much more sense based on my own personal experience.

Are the Pros really that much better? What is the difference? Damn, I did have some t500 pedals with my wheel but sold them without even trying them.

PTG Ty1er Ward
16-08-2015, 20:29
How many real cars have you driven that have throttle peddle resistance?

The brake needs to be able to be "stopped" and these mods do a poor job of simulating real hydraulic pressure. The T3 brake with a correctly adjusted conical rubber stop is as close as I have ever felt.

I wasn't trying to start an argument or go down the "realism" road. I just happened upon a thread where my name was mentioned and felt compelled to add my thoughts, nothing more. Resistance, may have been a poor choice of words, but I think maybe "pressure or weight" is better. The lightness of the T3PA pedal made the throttle control while driving with no assists unnecessarily more difficult IMHO.

PTG Ty1er Ward
16-08-2015, 20:44
Are the Pros really that much better? What is the difference? Damn, I did have some t500 pedals with my wheel but sold them without even trying them.

Bear in mind I've never used/tried load cells, but really there's nothing to dislike about PRO's. Solid/precise feel, all metal, adjustable travel, you can invert them or not, adjustable pedal position, spring mod/conical mod, adjustable pressure/resistance, etc.

I get the load cell concept and see the benefits in regard to braking, and will probably get to that point sometime in the near future. If I knew for sure it would make me faster I'd do it immediately lol. In my mind right now it's more of luxury at this point (whether that's right or wrong)

MrLiister
16-08-2015, 23:06
I'm still considering the T3PA set, with a wheel stand the T3PA Pro might be a bit too big I think. If only I had room for a playseat!

I've also changed my break mod now, I found a slightly stiffer spring at work and fitted that along with a thick sponge (think it's a pipe cover) glued in behind the break to give me some resistance. Works pretty well, and cheap as chips. I have also moved the original break spring over to the accelerator and it does feel much better.

STEELJOCKEY
10-09-2015, 06:33
So now I've got the T3PA pedals, adjusted the clutch and brake more to the left so I can left brake easier, and I've fitted the brake mod. Feels a bit weird on the brakes, wound it forward a little and I'll see how it goes.

Anyway, just curious what other things I might change in the game, sensitivity wise, to improve them if at all. What settings are you running with these pedals, and how have you set up your brake mod?

nissan4ever
10-09-2015, 07:47
In game, my deadzone - 0 & sensitivity - 50.
Brake mod position

I use brake pedal from stock pedals.

oscarolim
10-09-2015, 08:12

Which springs did you get? I saw the mod online, but I can't find the same spring sizes in the UK stores I looked up (granted, I checked amazon and ebay).

Dan77 DESTROYER
10-09-2015, 09:25
Which springs did you get? I saw the mod online, but I can't find the same spring sizes in the UK stores I looked up (granted, I checked amazon and ebay).
Here you go ;)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/BS502-003-HI502-003-Scale-Absorber-Damper/dp/B00GIEQEY8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439312874&sr=8-1&keywords=125mm+rc+shocks

I included this link in my #10 post on page one,

Johngrim
10-09-2015, 09:29
Super glue a bit of rubber behind the brake works great !The secret is having the correct texture of rubber by accident I found the perfect rubber.A rubber dog toy bone .The rubber is perfect .Cut a bit off, glue or tape it on , with a little experimentation of size and thickness you can have a good feeling brake .

STEELJOCKEY
10-09-2015, 20:14
In game, my deadzone - 0 & sensitivity - 50.
Brake mod position

I use brake pedal from stock pedals.

So looks like in your first pic the mod I'd wound right out? Hard to tell in the second pic.

I started with mine wound right down, but didn't feel right, so I've wound it up a bit. Feels better, but I've read somewhere the rubber takes a bit to break in. Running same game settings, might fiddle with those a bit and see what difference it makes.

Ideally I'd like more travel over the brake mod's take up, not so short between first touch and hard stop, maybe a longer conical rubber stop would be better.

Will be looking at changing over brake pedal with the original too, just gotta drill out the holes a bit first to fit the larger bolts.

Funny, I've moved the clutch pedal too just like in your pic, so I can get at the brake pedal better for left foot braking.

nissan4ever
10-09-2015, 20:52
Yeah, that mod will get broken in with use. Yeah, I got it as close as I can get the mod to the brake pedal.

rtazz17
11-09-2015, 00:39
Im trying to figure out the point of putting rubber behind brake pedal.

Is it to feel more realistic or to stop the brake travel before the wheels lock up?

STEELJOCKEY
11-09-2015, 01:44
Real car brake pedals get stiffer with hydraulic pressure as you push the pedal down, whereas normal sim pedals have constant pressure from top to bottom. This is intended to simulate increasing pressure as you apply the brakes

STEELJOCKEY
11-09-2015, 01:45
Thanks nissan, I'll look into winding it up more.

MrLiister
11-09-2015, 09:49
Does the T3PA brake pedal also have a spring like the original pedal set? (probably a stupid question!) I have put a stiffer spring in and added a piece of rubber inside the spring and really happy with the feel, I'm just missing that final progressive stop that I believe the conical mod will give me when I finally get these. I will probably do the same with these depending on how good they feel.

nissan4ever
11-09-2015, 11:09
Does the T3PA brake pedal also have a spring like the original pedal set? (probably a stupid question!) I have put a stiffer spring in and added a piece of rubber inside the spring and really happy with the feel, I'm just missing that final progressive stop that I believe the conical mod will give me when I finally get these. I will probably do the same with these depending on how good they feel.

Yes it has a spring on the brake pedal as well.

Dynomight Motorsports
11-09-2015, 12:05
You could also take out stock spring in TX brake and find a Rubber hose (automotive style) that fits inside it. Cut it about half the length of spring and wha-la you have same progressive feel.

Raven403
11-09-2015, 12:34
You could also take out stock spring in TX brake and find a Rubber hose (automotive style) that fits inside it. Cut it about half the length of spring and wha-la you have same progressive feel.

Nice, that's a pretty good idea Dynomight

Dynomight Motorsports
11-09-2015, 12:51
yeah I saw a similar mod when you by the Ricmotech Load Cell for the TH3p pedals. I thought that would give me the progressive feel I was looking for. I had the RC Spring mod on my other pedals, but when my first wheel died I had to send that back to Squared Trade to get my Warranty money. So I just decided to try some new stuff with these other pedals, while I waited on TM to send me a replacement for my replacement (3rd TX wheel)

inthebagbud
29-10-2015, 07:54
Does anybody use the t3pa with a playseat rig?

I'm thinking of these but wondered whether the central bar of the playseat would get in way of brake as I am used to left foot braking.

wOoDsTeR16
29-10-2015, 07:59

I'm thinking of these but wondered whether the central bar of the playseat would get in way of brake as I am used to left foot braking.

It does mate but you only have to drill one hole to make them fit

inthebagbud
29-10-2015, 08:02
It does mate but you only have to drill one hole to make them fit

Thanks woodster

SomeCallMeTim
04-11-2015, 13:17
I've got the Playseat with the central post and use T3PA Pro Peddles and you can quite happily switch from left to right foot braking as the post is close to the top of your legs and not your feet. You can position the peddle face plates a little to the left or right deepening on preference. I swift between left and right foot braking depending on car (as I have the TH8A shifter too) so I have my face plate smack in the middle. My 6 year old has no problem switching over either. If yo are getting the T3PA (or better the Pro) I really recommend the Ricomotech Load cell mod which is really amazing :-) but expensive :-(

inthebagbud
04-11-2015, 13:51
I really recommend the Ricomotech Load cell mod which is really amazing :-) but expensive :-(

Is the load cell really that good as looking on their site people are saying 2/3 seconds a lap better .. which seems amazing

Really interested as you can buy the pro pedals from them with the load cell fitted cheaper than buying pedals and cell separate

Schnizz58
04-11-2015, 17:14
Is the load cell really that good as looking on their site people are saying 2/3 seconds a lap better .. which seems amazing

Really interested as you can buy the pro pedals from them with the load cell fitted cheaper than buying pedals and cell separate
I can't recommend the load cell enough. I was almost instantly faster and even more important than that, it feels so much more realistic. My only complaint is that it's firmer than a real brake pedal, even with the softest bushing. But that's an extremely minor issue. I was able to adapt to it with only a couple of hours of driving.

Robhd
04-11-2015, 17:30

I am using the T3pa's with a playseat and yes the central column isn't ideal for left foot braking but i don't do much of it because i use the h shift manual with the clutch... Which is brilliant fun!

inthebagbud
04-11-2015, 18:31
I can't recommend the load cell enough. I was almost instantly faster and even more important than that, it feels so much more realistic. My only complaint is that it's firmer than a real brake pedal, even with the softest bushing. But that's an extremely minor issue. I was able to adapt to it with only a couple of hours of driving.

Well lets hope they export to UK because at the price their quoting its a no brainer ..... its just the warranty backup that is a pain if anything goes wrong

bigdaddyx2005
04-11-2015, 19:03
as for load cells go I run a cpx basherboard with csr elite pedals on my tx setup. yes the load cell is great and I love it. I cant tell ya if it picked me up or not but it does help in braking more consistent and the feel wow lol...

Ixoye56
07-11-2015, 01:29
My throttle pedal gave up on my T3PA tonight, totally dead, only four mounths old, luckily I have warranty left, I replace it with the standard pedals so I can play in the mean time it is repaired, the hardest to get used to again was the brake without the rubber mod, and the throttle pedal that had harder spring tencion than TP3A.

inthebagbud
18-11-2015, 09:11
Just received my TP3 Pro pedal set and wondered what peoples opinions are on

1. using pedals in floor mounted or inverted position

2. using spring mod or the conical brake mod

Thanks

STEELJOCKEY
18-11-2015, 09:42
as for load cells go I run a cpx basherboard with csr elite pedals on my tx setup. yes the load cell is great and I love it. I cant tell ya if it picked me up or not but it does help in braking more consistent and the feel wow lol...

I'll be adding a load cell to my pedals soon, from all my reading this will be the way to go, and those testing them on the T3PA pedals reckon they are great.

nissan4ever
18-11-2015, 12:46

Thanks

I use conical mod on my T3PA pedals.
I also have it set as close as possible to the brake pedal.

Haiden
20-11-2015, 16:55

Thanks

Open wheel racing is my preference, and I like a more laid back driving position with my legs extended, so floor mount is my preference. I prefer the conical brake mod to the spring. It feels better, and it's adjustable which is always a big plus. :)

Also, don't know about the spring mod, but you'll probably want to lower the brake sensitivity if you go with the conical mod. I also lowered the throttle sensitivity a bit when I switched to the T3PA Pro set.

Enjoy!

inthebagbud
21-11-2015, 14:58
So with the conical mod do users have the mod nearer the pedal or further away, I know its probably down to user preference but just interested on how others use it

Haiden
21-11-2015, 18:27
I have a T3PA Pro set and placed the bracket in the far back position, then screwed the stopper forward, leaving only about 2-3 mm of throw to the back of the pedal. I also set my brake deadzone to 6 in the globals.

ian2726
22-11-2015, 02:00
Bought the pros when they came out. Brake pedal died. Thrustmaster sent me the new potentiometer to fit myself. Much better than sending away and waiting ages for replacement.