PDA

View Full Version : Will there be more single-player content beyond career mode added to this game?

Humanzee2
12-08-2015, 02:46
I love the driving model, feel, and look of this game, so I want to play it. However, I don't really like career mode and I know I'm not alone. Even the PC Gamer write-up of PCars as the best racing game on PC said the career mode was "nothing to write home about." And everything outside of career mode is multiplayer in that you're competing against everyone else's times (which is anti-motivating for me since I really can't compete). A Shift 2 style career would be great! I'd certainly pay $10 or so for it as DLC. Am I alone in this? Any chance of something, anything single-player oriented coming out in the future?

Ryno917
12-08-2015, 02:55
What is it about the career mode that you don't like?

What else would you like to see added? What is it about Shift2 that you find better?

Humanzee2
12-08-2015, 03:23
PC gamer said of Assetto Corsa, "It's also got a satisfying career mode that throws a nice array of challenges at you across a wide variety of disciplines." Shift 2 had that as well. That's what I'd like to see. The career mode in project cars is too open and too user controlled. It lacks a sense of accomplishment since you can make it as easy as you want and once you accomplish zero to hero what else is there to do?

yusupov
12-08-2015, 03:53
you have the freedom to make it as difficult as you want too. make your own rules & your own boundaries. practice self discipline a little. realize that achievements & popups are only as meaningful as you make them. try that stuff, maybe.

Humanzee2
12-08-2015, 04:20
you have the freedom to make it as difficult as you want too. make your own rules & your own boundaries. practice self discipline a little. realize that achievements & popups are only as meaningful as you make them. try that stuff, maybe.

I have. The game's bugs get very frustrating when you try to play on hard difficulty with discipline. No weather forecasting, the lack of the ability to know what tires you are driving on, improper tire pressures in pit stops, no car- specific tires in pits, ai doesn't pit to change tires in rain, etc. make the game practically unbearable on high difficulty with realistic damage settings.

relent0r
12-08-2015, 05:52
The career mode didn't really do it for me either, but the race weekends more than makes up for it.

Invincible
12-08-2015, 06:11
I do like the career mode. But I would not say no to a bit more variety added.

Some driving tasks would be nice. Even if it would be something simple like:
"Hey here's your Team Manager. We got our Team some new cars (Any car higher than your current contract) for the next season. Your team mate already set a new laptime. You got three laps. See if you can beat him."

poet
12-08-2015, 07:34
PC gamer said of Assetto Corsa, "It's also got a satisfying career mode that throws a nice array of challenges at you across a wide variety of disciplines."

PC gamer are smoking crack.
As much as I love AC the career is deathly dull. Bland faceless races mixed only with the awful drive-as-slow-as-you-can hotlap "challenge".

I agree Shift2 had a good career, but I'm glad there's no drift nonsense in Pcars to grind through, I'm not 13 years old. :)

havocc
12-08-2015, 07:48
Weekly added scenarios would be fun, something like "complete nordschleife within 9 min under heavy rain on [insert car]" with car skins for that car as a reward.

Carinis
12-08-2015, 10:39
Scripted weather in career mode makes replaying seasons dull, the lack of having a constant competitor ai and teams switching names random means you cant have a rivalry with anyone for more than a season or even into other seasons ie as you progress up the tiers of your selected discipline.
The fan zone stuff very often bears no resemblance to what actually happened in the race, the best career mode I ever played was in TOCA 2 (with the Scottish manager/mechanic).

Dutchmountains
12-08-2015, 10:54
For me the career mode is the best there ever is made.
Of course there are a lot of things to improve, ill be sure that sms gonna make,fix these things.

There is no other game that comes closer to reality with the career mode then Project CARS.
So come on sms, make these improvements to stay steady on number one.

gormanio
12-08-2015, 11:45
a custom championship would make the game for me, just string a bunch of race weekends together with the same ai drivers will be perfect.

MrFlibble81
12-08-2015, 11:52
I would be a little wary about what some of the gaming mags and websites say about some games. Some of the journos who write for them are getting a lot of Doritos and Mountain Dew for free.

Nats
12-08-2015, 12:11
It just goes to show everyone's different I love the pCars career and hate the gimmicky ones with unlocked upgrades like that in Assetto. One of the main reasons I got pCars above all the other racing games actually.

But I would love to see more single player content in the way of customisable championships or mini-campaigns based on real championships.

And yeah goes without saying I want to see semi-randomised weather in the career. IF I got that plus in-race saving and AI breakdowns I at least would consider this game superbly complete and their job well done.

KK78
12-08-2015, 12:53
In it's basic form the solo mode of PCars is great imo, aside from the glitches and scripted weather I've really enjoyed doing pretty much all the Championships (though some can become a little grindy) I'm not a fan of career mode gimmicks & upgrades in other driving games and appreciate PCars authenticity & choice.

More authenticity would be good though, such as more in-depth testing, explanations of tuning options, track synopsis, pit crews and perhaps more realistic interactions with your team rather than the linear scripted emails you get randomly. I'd also love to see more interaction and competiveness from your team mate, half the time I don't readily know who he is and from memory only once have I had a direct leaderboard battle with him in 19 seasons- in fact more rivalry would be great as there appears little consistency in who your main rivals are as over a season those who are pushing you in each race varies from each event to the next which often leaves you winning a championship by a country mile because no one else is remotely consistent.

diesel97
12-08-2015, 13:07
I wounder what is coming in the "coming soon " tab in career mode ?

mister dog
12-08-2015, 13:13
There's career which is huge and pretty diverse compared to other racing games, there's single player races which you can setup yourself and there's TT.

Enough to do IMO.

Lagoa
12-08-2015, 13:43
This should be fixed aswell:

"I noticed in the carreer contract offers after the season you get asked for a renewal. But now after 12 seasons I don't remember which car was with which renewal offer.. It only says the class in the renewal offers. Really annoying. The contract offer screen in total is really a little messed up.. It should be cleaner so you can get a decent overview."

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
12-08-2015, 13:43
Admittedly a "make your own season" would be fantastic, particularly if it allowed you to choose the car classes freely. I've noticed how several cars from different classes are actually roughly around the same speed around some circuits (for example some of the street cars can easily hang with or beat the GT4 cars, and some of the lower level protos and open-wheelers are fairly equal to GT3 or the Merc DTM, etc.) and would like to run a mash up like that as a season.

For a while during development I hosted a racing series called "Jussi's Time Matching Experiment Thingamajig". At the beginning of the week I posted a time on a track I'd picked, without revealing what car I used to hit it with. Then people on the forums could see what cars and settings they could use to match that as closely as possible. You could use any car, any tyres, any restrictor settings, any wastegate settings, any gearing limitations (that was funny stuff, limiting the FA to the pace of the R8 V10+ road car by limiting the top speed with gearing :D), anything to either speed yourself up or slow yourself down to the assigned level. No-one was allowed to discuss what car they were using, then on the weekend we got together and see what happened in the race. Usually we got at least 4-5 different cars in a 10 car lineup, often I was the only one with the car I'd picked. Races were really unpredictable since some people could have cars that murdered the straights, like the Huayra for example, but couldn't do anything in the corners against stuff like a gearing limited Formula C. It also gave the opportunity for people who aren't that quick to pick a car that got them up to the pace and enabled them to compete. It was ever so much fun. =)

A bit besides the point that last story, sorry about that.

NebuCD
12-08-2015, 20:00
I think there should be a "Club Day" or something option infront of the Clio Cup for an additional path where you start off racing smaller road cars (focus etc)

AOD_Danneskjold
12-08-2015, 20:11
Weekly added scenarios would be fun, something like "complete nordschleife within 9 min under heavy rain on [insert car]" with car skins for that car as a reward.

Start making up special liveries for PCars to use as the reward, and I'm sure they'll make that mode.

Mahjik
12-08-2015, 20:13
I think there should be a "Club Day" or something option infront of the Clio Cup for an additional path where you start off racing smaller road cars (focus etc)

I doubt that will happen. As far as I know there isn't an amateur racing series that will allow cars without proper safety equipment (rollcages) do sanctioned wheel-to-wheel racing. Even the inexpensive series like Chumpcar of Lemons require proper racing safety equipment which the pCARS street cars lack to be part of a "series".

FS7
12-08-2015, 20:27
Solo mode is enough to keep me busy for a very long time, there's enough options to setup a variety of scenarios. However I think it would be great if there was the option to set race length by either time or number of laps, as well as the option to choose cars and/or specify car classes for AI opponents (mainly for multiclass racing, the current multiclass option isn't very good).
Custom championship would be a very nice bonus but I don't consider it as important as the things mentioned above.

Aizcold
12-08-2015, 20:28

I really like this idea. Perhaps it would be something that could be incorporated into the time trial mode/community events in a similar way to how the licenses work in Gran Turismo games. So instead of only rewarding the top times, there would be certain challenges everyone could compete for regardless of skill level with some sort in-game reward. Even better if the challenges include some more difficult and differing weather conditions as well.

A separate 'Challenge Mode' could be pretty cool too. You had/have these in certain sports games such as NBA 2K where you are given a certain scenario. This could work very well in Project Cars too, for instance by giving you the scenario of having to finish the last hour of the 24 Heures du Mans in a damaged car/with a certain amount of fuel or whatever other scenarios the devs can think of. Doesn't sound like it would be too hard to implement, but then again perhaps it is :D

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
12-08-2015, 20:43
I doubt that will happen. As far as I know there isn't an amateur racing series that will allow cars without proper safety equipment (rollcages) do sanctioned wheel-to-wheel racing. Even the inexpensive series like Chumpcar of Lemons require proper racing safety equipment which the pCARS street cars lack to be part of a "series".Not a racing series, no, but Best MOTORing did run many such races over the years anyway, essentially in an invitational format (select a bunch of cars they have access to at the time that would be interesting to go against each other, then ring up a bunch of Super GT, Super Taikyu etc. drivers). IIRC they were all or mostly at least just single events, nothing really carried on.

The spin off Hot Version did do touge racing in street cars without safety gear though, even had performance classes and kept score (successful cars were invited back later to compete for the overall championship), but that was indeed with touge rules.

svenvangent
12-08-2015, 20:47
Customisable championships .

Mahjik
12-08-2015, 21:15
Not a racing series, no, but Best MOTORing did run many such races

Not to debate, but those weren't really "races" per say.

hkraft300
13-08-2015, 02:03
+1 to add Jussi's time matching experiment to weekly events ;)