PDA

View Full Version : [ANSWERED] Direct X 12 Windows 10 question

sailordude9980
12-08-2015, 18:00
Hello

I have 2 graphics cards. The one I am currently using is theMSI gtx 970 4g. I also have an amd strix 290 amd 2g card.

I understand that I cant "connect them" together, but I heard directX 12 will allow amd / nvidia chips to work together. I know project cars is written with directx 11.

Can I still use the amd card on top of the nvidia? If I can, how would I set up the software to do it?

I searched overclockers forum and few other places, I couldnt find an answer.

Robert Dibley
12-08-2015, 19:01
As far as I know this is not possible with our game, and its probably not with others.
In the far distant future it might be something which an application could manage, but in order to do so it would need a complete rewrite.
Just to take a simple example, at the very start we choose one device to work with, and then set various things up based on whether that is an nVidia or AMD device.
If there are two devices, then you cannot choose between the two setups.

TrevorAustin
12-08-2015, 19:54
I did mention in your other post about this that technically it would work but what would you play:) probably 3d mark in the forseeable future:)

At least i think it was your post

sailordude9980
12-08-2015, 20:51
I don't think I did, but if so, I apologize.

I wasn't asking about Project Cars, I was asking as a general use.

AMD Graphics card - Internet Video

GTX 970 Graphics Card - Gaming, Project Cars.

TrevorAustin
12-08-2015, 20:55
I don't think I did, but if so, I apologize.

I wasn't asking about Project Cars, I was asking as a general use.

AMD Graphics card - Internet Video

GTX 970 Graphics Card - Gaming, Project Cars.

Probably not you then:) doesn't matter anyway. It is big windows news but a while until it's practical I think.

I would guess P Cars 3 if we're lucky.

I do think you'll be able to tell P cars which card to use in a multi GPU system, as you described, at some point, but don't see why? just use the best one for all.

TenthDan
12-08-2015, 21:45
If you have two monitors just connect one to AMD and set as secondary screen. Put I.E etc on that and your games will launch on the primary screen, I.e nVidia.

Ryzza5
13-08-2015, 00:07
Not sure about AMD but Intel used to do something similar with their onboard graphics... not sure if it's still a thing

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19993