PDA

View Full Version : Race Setup - Multiplayer lobby's

Beltoon
13-08-2015, 12:04
Hello guys,

I was wondering how people here set up the MP lobby's. Recently I've started speeding up the tire wear and switching the weather during the race. I'm not an expert on the matter yet and was hoping some people here could give me some advice to set up some great races. I'll post the information that I've come across, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Weather:
I've read on this forum that a normal weather slot takes 60 minutes, the weather progression is just simple mathematics (x2 = 30 minutes, x3 = 20 minutes and so on). The transitition from clear to thunderstorm takes longer than from clear to cloudy, although it's not quite clear on how this process exactly works.

Tire Wear:
This probably depends on the car, the driving style, tire, tire pressure and temperature. Is there any information about setting this up for a certain race? Let's say I'm hosting a 30 minute GT3 race (with practice and qualifying separate) what should be the settings when I want them to barely make it on soft slicks or force them into the pit at the halfway mark?

If anyone has some information about this I would be so happy :).

Another thing, maybe someone has developed a great race set up on their favorite track... I didn't come across a topic where these settings are being shared and I think it would be awesome if people could and would share this. This would include information about:

Track

Structure & Sessions

Laps
Car class
Practice / qualification settings

Conditions

Weather slots
Weather progression
Date + time & progression

Restrictions

Mechanical failures
Tire wear
Fuel usage
Flags & penalties

Would love to see someone sharing information about weather and tire settings or post their favorite race setup!

CopperySinger5
13-08-2015, 12:45
it would also be nice to have climate settings (time progression, daily temperature/date, ect) displayed to others in lobby.

Raven403
13-08-2015, 12:55
We typically run about 90inure races, (or we did until pits were screwing everyone) Running 3x tire wear definitely made it so you HAD to pit once, maybe twice depending on track, weather and driving style.

Weather is a tricky thing to figure, as it seems to change depending on how many sessions you run. The slots don't seem to line up and sometimes the weather never changes. If you only run 2 slots and one is clear and the other random, the Random slot will randomize every cycle. It also doesn't say that Weather Progression set to "Off" means it syncs to race. That's what it did for us, UNTIL we had multiple long sessions, then the weather never cycled out of the first slot. So we have been using 2x weather progression to force it to change but sometimes it goes through the cycle too fast and makes things unrealistic.

Maybe someone could shed light on this, why that is that multiple sessions screws the weather prog?

But anyway hope the info helps u Beltoon

Edit: I should add, if you set 3 slots, say Med Cloud-Overcast-Storm. With weather prog set to "Off" And do just a Race, with no other sessions it should cycle through the weather in a predictable fashion depending on how many laps you run, so say 30 laps, 10 laps will be slot1, 10 of slot2, 10 of slot 3. That's how it works for me anyway

miagi
13-08-2015, 13:18
Tire wear depends mainly on track, car and compound. In GT3 the soft compound is the only sensible one because medium compound only gives you a few laps more while being at least 1-2 second per lap slower on a ~1:40 lap. Also soft is mostly easily good for a fuel stint and changing tires doesn't add too much time to the pit stop, unless you increase tire wear ofc. With higher tire wear, hard compound might become interesting, but that needs some tests.

In a smaller window, tire wear also depends on setup and driving style. A driver can push the tires or he can make em last longer, same on setup. Tire temps is mostly a good indicator. Higher temps often come from being pushed harder and that means wear. If you can keep your tires below 115C, you can be sure tire wear is quite high too. Lock ups push the tire wear too.

Additional info. You should know that track grip is different in the different session. It is lowest in Pratice1, and highest in Quali and Race. In a longer race with many cars on track it even gets additional amount of grip that is quite significant. So practicing and testing in a online lobby Practice1 for the Race, might not be the ideal option. That simulates the track development over a weekend and race in real life.

Beltoon
13-08-2015, 16:31
Thanks for the feedback guys!

it would also be nice to have climate settings (time progression, daily temperature/date, ect) displayed to others in lobby.

The host does have a small benefit over the other players because he knows what weather slots are waiting, unless it's random ofcourse.

We typically run about 90inure races, (or we did until pits were screwing everyone) Running 3x tire wear definitely made it so you HAD to pit once, maybe twice depending on track, weather and driving style.

Weather is a tricky thing to figure, as it seems to change depending on how many sessions you run. The slots don't seem to line up and sometimes the weather never changes. If you only run 2 slots and one is clear and the other random, the Random slot will randomize every cycle. It also doesn't say that Weather Progression set to "Off" means it syncs to race. That's what it did for us, UNTIL we had multiple long sessions, then the weather never cycled out of the first slot. So we have been using 2x weather progression to force it to change but sometimes it goes through the cycle too fast and makes things unrealistic.

Maybe someone could shed light on this, why that is that multiple sessions screws the weather prog?

But anyway hope the info helps u Beltoon

Edit: I should add, if you set 3 slots, say Med Cloud-Overcast-Storm. With weather prog set to "Off" And do just a Race, with no other sessions it should cycle through the weather in a predictable fashion depending on how many laps you run, so say 30 laps, 10 laps will be slot1, 10 of slot2, 10 of slot 3. That's how it works for me anyway

So that means that you would be able to drive 40/50 minutes on the same tracks if Tire Wear is set to real? That would make sense because I've had a session where the tire wear was set to x5 and started losing grip after 10 mins.

It's good that it isn't predictable because that would make the races a lot less exciting.

Tire wear depends mainly on track, car and compound. In GT3 the soft compound is the only sensible one because medium compound only gives you a few laps more while being at least 1-2 second per lap slower on a ~1:40 lap. Also soft is mostly easily good for a fuel stint and changing tires doesn't add too much time to the pit stop, unless you increase tire wear ofc. With higher tire wear, hard compound might become interesting, but that needs some tests.

In a smaller window, tire wear also depends on setup and driving style. A driver can push the tires or he can make em last longer, same on setup. Tire temps is mostly a good indicator. Higher temps often come from being pushed harder and that means wear. If you can keep your tires below 115C, you can be sure tire wear is quite high too. Lock ups push the tire wear too.

Additional info. You should know that track grip is different in the different session. It is lowest in Pratice1, and highest in Quali and Race. In a longer race with many cars on track it even gets additional amount of grip that is quite significant. So practicing and testing in a online lobby Practice1 for the Race, might not be the ideal option. That simulates the track development over a weekend and race in real life.

I didn't know that there was any difference between the sessions. Does practice 2 give you more grip even if you skipped practice 1? The feature is interesting and somewhat realistic, even though it's guesswork obviously.

An unrelated question about tires... You say they need to be below 115C, is it the same with lower temperatures or are they good as long as they are green?