PDA

View Full Version : Underestimated cars and tracks - Letīs talk about them!

Grijo
13-08-2015, 16:46
Good afternoon racers! I read several posts about better cars, tracks and combos. And of course everyone has their personal tastes. But sometimes I think people get stuck in some types of car and track and it seems that some are relegated to oblivion. I think itīs normal to get stuck in cars and tracks that we love. But as I have played many different careers, i found a few cars and different tracks than usual which aroused my attention and that to me are underestimated. I donīt see these in the photo thread, in other posts, or even online lobbies with them , but are available in the game for our enjoyment. So I decided to make this thread for a friendly discussion about which cars and tracks you think the most underestimated and your experiences with them. So I 'll be the first:

Track
Sakito International - For me this is one of the most underestimated tracks in the game. A difficult track in my opinion, with few overtaking opportunities and a high descending curve "Eau Rouge style" that can easily end your race. Very tricky one. But particularly, I loved this track exactly because itīs a challenging one. Definitely worth a try.

Car
Lotus 67 Open Wheel - For me this is the most underestimated car in the game. Okay, it's difficult to drive but it sure is fun. With the ī67 tyres is virtually impossible to control it with the DualShock, at least for me. With the ī68 or ī69 tires (canīt remember exactly ) still has a bit of oversteer but it's quite manageable. With the ī72 tires is as if on rails! Quite a ride!

I would like to hear from you, other racers : Whatīs the car and track most underestimated in your opinion and some of your experience with them.

Sorry about any mistakes in my english.

PS: This is a friendly thread. So, if you feel the need to rant, please donīt do it here.

cornishbrooksy
13-08-2015, 16:49
For me Oulton Park is a great track to race on and quite underestimated.

Car wise....the A1 Quattro....small car...but had an epic online race this past weekend in it, bumping and grinding (but good natured), and a fair bit of power for a little car like that. Was way more fun than i expected.....15 online guys around Snett.

ARNAGEist
13-08-2015, 17:00
Going by the multiplayer I'm surprised I don't see as many races at Brno that IMHO it deserves

Grijo
13-08-2015, 17:15
For me Oulton Park is a great track to race on and quite underestimated.

Car wise....the A1 Quattro....small car...but had an epic online race this past weekend in it, bumping and grinding (but good natured), and a fair bit of power for a little car like that. Was way more fun than i expected.....15 online guys around Snett.

I love to do a race in Oulton Park International, great track!!! I didnīt raced with Audi A1 yet. Iīll give it a try.

Grijo
13-08-2015, 17:17
Going by the multiplayer I'm surprised I don't see as many races at Brno that IMHO it deserves

I see a lot of lobbies with BRNO, everytime.

ElectricBlues85
13-08-2015, 17:30
I'm doing the PS4 TT challenge on Donnington Park National at the moment. It's a short track (01:09.xxx) in a GT4 Ginnetta. It's on of those that is easy to drive but tricky as hell to master. The first corner still has the better of me but I love the 3 right handers that come after that, great fun to drive.

While we're on that subject, now that Ginetta is set up it's great to drive (link to setup below). It's the first time I've used the GT4 class and it's pleasantly surprised me. I might have to venture into some MP lobbies and take it for a more thorough test drive :)

Props to 'ports' for the setup: http://projectcarssetups.eu/#/viewsetup/99623928

Pink_650S
13-08-2015, 17:35
Willow Springs: Very challenging and fast track. It may not have the prettiest environment, but fun as hell to drive :) Everytime l select it in a multiplayer lobby, the majority leaves...

Renault Clio: So much fun to drive, perfect for most of the tracks in the game and allows for very close and intense multiplayer battles.

ElectricBlues85
13-08-2015, 17:39
Willow Springs: Very challenging and fast track. It may not have the prettiest environment, but fun as hell to drive :) Everytime l select it in a multiplayer lobby, the majority leaves...

Renault Clio: So much fun to drive, perfect for most of the tracks in the game and allows for very close and intense multiplayer battles.

I'd be one of the guys leaving :rolleyes: I intend to spend an afternoon or two at Willow getting to grips with it one of these days. It's not a great track for just winging' it!

Love the Clio, think I've done that championship more than any other :)

Grijo
13-08-2015, 17:40
I'm doing the PS4 TT challenge on Donnington Park National at the moment. It's a short track (01:09.xxx) in a GT4 Ginnetta. It's on of those that is easy to drive but tricky as hell to master. The first corner still has the better of me but I love the 3 right handers that come after that, great fun to drive.

While we're on that subject, now that Ginetta is set up it's great to drive (link to setup below). It's the first time I've used the GT4 class and it's pleasantly surprised me. I might have to venture into some MP lobbies and take it for a more thorough test drive :)

Props to 'ports' for the setup: http://projectcarssetups.eu/#/viewsetup/99623928

I always screw my race in Donnington in this first right corner lol. For me, all the Ginettas have a great handle and general performance.

Grijo
13-08-2015, 17:44

Clios are really great, arenīt they? Iīm about 110 hours played and i never drove in Willow Springs...iīll give it a try today!!

Psychomatrix
13-08-2015, 17:51
Willows Springs, Oulton Park, Oschersleben and Snetterton
All of them are great and lot of fun to drive

Cars: Lotus 78 and Lotus 72D
The 72D is great but I like the pre patch 2.0 handling more

Grijo
13-08-2015, 17:55
Willows Springs, Oulton Park, Oschersleben and Snetterton
All of them are great and lot of fun to drive

Cars: Lotus 78 and Lotus 72D
The 72D is great but I like the pre patch 2.0 handling more

I did a race in Oschersleben with Lotus 98T Renault and that was incredible!! Too much speed in a tight track..awesome!

bc525
13-08-2015, 18:21
Some personal favorites that I think are a bit underrated:

Brno - this track has a nice flow to it, great environment for close racing with plenty of opportunities for challenging/overtaking. When I host a lobby (or should I say when I inherit hosting because the previous host has left) I usually have at least one race event at Brno, and its always been well received (and produced good racing).

Donnington Park - a bit narrow, somewhat challenging and can produce mistakes. Can be tough for overtaking though. Early in the game I didn't pay much attention to this track, but the more I race on it the more I enjoy it.

Palmer Jaguar - again early in the game I didn't really use this car very often, but once I got a taste of it in some online races I thoroughly enjoyed it. Quick little car that works well on tighter tracks, very fun.

Bouyo
13-08-2015, 18:30
Radical SR8 Everyone I talk to seems to hate it, but I think it's just wonderful! Please please take it for a good hard run around Nordschleife and tell me that your palms don't start sweating!

cmch15
13-08-2015, 18:37
Not sure if its underrated but don't see it mentioned much, Bathurst is a great challenge, fast with walls both sides heading up, across and back down the mountain. Sure Monaco has barriers close but is not fast and at Bathurst, coming down the dipper and Forests elbow if you hit one wall you'll bounce off and into the other side.

Car wise, I am enjoying the M1 Procar which doesn't appear that popular. Just combined this with Bathurst in an invitational event and was the best experience in the game so far.

TheReaper GT
13-08-2015, 18:47
Radical SR8 Everyone I talk to seems to hate it, but I think it's just wonderful! Please please take it for a good hard run around Nordschleife and tell me that your palms don't start sweating!

That thing on Bathurst is surreal... Love it
To me sonoma, donington and oulton are the most underestimated tracks, or should I say feared? I set it on a lobby almost everyone votes to change. They are fun as a track can be and as challenging as a racer could wish for.

cmch15
13-08-2015, 19:04

Haven't driven the Radical but will have to give that a go. I find the Nordschleife is great for an enthusiastic drive or a balls out run.

To me sonoma, donington and oulton are the most underestimated tracks, or should I say feared? I set it on a lobby almost everyone votes to change. They are fun as a track can be and as challenging as a racer could wish for.

Donington and Oulton ��

Pink_650S
13-08-2015, 19:07
Some personal favorites that I think are a bit underrated:

Brno - this track has a nice flow to it, great environment for close racing with plenty of opportunities for challenging/overtaking. When I host a lobby (or should I say when I inherit hosting because the previous host has left) I usually have at least one race event at Brno, and its always been well received (and produced good racing).

Donnington Park - a bit narrow, somewhat challenging and can produce mistakes. Can be tough for overtaking though. Early in the game I didn't pay much attention to this track, but the more I race on it the more I enjoy it.

Palmer Jaguar - again early in the game I didn't really use this car very often, but once I got a taste of it in some online races I thoroughly enjoyed it. Quick little car that works well on tighter tracks, very fun.

I think Brno is only fun with high downforce cars :)

TheReaper GT
13-08-2015, 19:08
Haven't driven the Radical but will have to give that a go. I find the Nordschleife is great for an enthusiastic drive or a balls out run.

Donington and Oulton ��

Yes, people run from them like it's from the plague or something. I really like those three tracks.

Hornetvenom
13-08-2015, 19:26
Most underrated for me has to be the GT4 Ginetta. Every night, I start by trying to host a GT4 lobby yet no one really joins. As soon as I switch to GT3 I'm swamped by people. I also very much like the Audi A1, it's great around small tracks (As is the Clio.)

As for tracks, Oulton park seems to always have people voting against it when I pick it to be used. I don't think Sonoma is disliked. People don't vote against it and I often get more folk joining when I am on there.

Pink_650S
13-08-2015, 19:27
Public lobbies run away from everything thats not GT3 and Spa ;)

Grijo
13-08-2015, 19:31
I feel like American tracks are underestimated and underused. RoA is my fave, Watkins really surprised me by how fast of a track it is. I'm on my third series in career mode, and I raced on a US track for the first time yesterday!

Judging by all the comments on here, any road car is underestimated. "omg, its a road car in a racing game! Thats like eating cereal for dinner! who does that???"

Watkins glen is a great track to race with Caper Stock Car, i love it!

MrFlibble81
13-08-2015, 19:31

Or Monza.

Watkins glen is a great track to race with Caper Stock Car, i love it!

Watkins Glen is a great track to race with anything!

Grijo
13-08-2015, 19:33

Nordschleife is my favourite track. I'll do a try with Radical and let you know.

Grijo
13-08-2015, 19:36

To me, Sonoma is a perfect one for Mustang Trans Am!!!

Grijo
13-08-2015, 19:40

That's true Pink. All i see is GT3 :frown-new:

Grijo
13-08-2015, 19:41
So many people talking about Oulton Park, it's a great track for close races...only my opinion

Hornetvenom
13-08-2015, 19:45
So many people talking about Oulton Park, it's a great track for close races...only my opinion

Great track to visit too. You get so close to the cars as they race. Not sure there's a track where you get closer.. Ok, Maybe some parts of the Croft circuit. (SMS, Get Croft in the game will ya.)

Grijo
13-08-2015, 19:49
Great track to visit too. You get so close to the cars as they race. Not sure there's a track where you get closer.. Ok, Maybe some parts of the Croft circuit. (SMS, Get Croft in the game will ya.)

So, it's perfect for a picnic during a Caterham Seven track day. That's it? Sounds good to me!

Hornetvenom
13-08-2015, 19:52
So, it's perfect for a picnic during a Caterham Seven track day. That's it? Sounds good to me!

It's one of the tracks I go to each year for the BTCC. I take disposable bbq's instead of picnics ;)

Grijo
13-08-2015, 19:56
It's one of the tracks I go to each year for the BTCC. I take disposable bbq's instead of picnics ;)

A little envy is in my heart right now...i'm not your friend anymore :frown-new:

Hornetvenom
13-08-2015, 19:59
A little envy is in my heart right now...i'm not your friend anymore :frown-new:

I've done Donington, Oulton park and Croft so far this year. Off to Silverstone for the Formula renault 3.5 and then again for the BTCC. (Both in September.)

I admit I am now just rubbing salt into the wound.

Grijo
13-08-2015, 20:03
I've done Donington, Oulton park and Croft so far this year. Off to Silverstone for the Formula renault 3.5 and then again for the BTCC. (Both in September.)

I admit I am now just rubbing salt into the wound.

OK, now you done a 35 years old man, cry...lol. FLAWLESS VICTORY, FATALITY!

Iwanchek
13-08-2015, 20:04
i was today driving on Road To America and i find this track very good. Itīs an fast track with fast apexes, need much grip and be very precise, staying on a racing like is a must....drove it with GT3 McLaren, setup was more-less stock, changed gear ratio, and gearbox, finished 4th...as i say, amazing track in my opinion!

Hornetvenom
13-08-2015, 20:05
OK, now you done a 35 years old man, cry...lol. FLAWLESS VICTORY, FATALITY!

I'm 35 too so I know what touches a nerve. Victory was never in question hahaha.

Grijo
13-08-2015, 20:08
i was today driving on Road To America and i find this track very good. Itīs an fast track with fast apexes, need much grip and be very precise, staying on a racing like is a must....drove it with GT3 McLaren, setup was more-less stock, changed gear ratio, and gearbox, finished 4th...as i say, amazing track in my opinion!

Try Road America with Ford GT 40 Mark IV. For me it's a great challenge!

Grijo
13-08-2015, 20:10
I'm 35 too so I know what touches a nerve. Victory was never in question hahaha.

Ok, so you are a English version of me? Or i am a Brazilian version of you? Both 35 and crazy about race cars !

Iwanchek
13-08-2015, 20:12
Try Road America with Ford GT 40 Mark IV. For me it's a great challenge!

iīll do m8 thnx ;)

loftymatt
13-08-2015, 20:36

I agree with what others say about oulton park and donington. Both excellent tracks to both race on and go to. On the game I prefer oulton although ive almost mastered that track. Real life although oulton is very good I love donington (sitting on the bank, watching the cars coming down the hill through the crainer curves). Can't beat it. (Although slightly ruined since the dunlop walk over bridge and also the other little billboard bridge has gone!)

bluesky0870
13-08-2015, 20:42
The most underestimated car in my eyes is the BMW 320 Group5.
In comparison to its equivalent in its car class the Zakspeed Cosworth Group5 it isn't mentioned half as often when the talk comes on that cars.

The Ford is the beauty that everyone is looking after and that makes every man dreaming of having a wild night with. Until they notice that the Ford sometimes is a bit more beasty as expected.
The BMW isn't that shiny, but it is more predictable in its reactions. It is not that fast but its cornering ability equals the lower top speed and acceleration.
To keep the comparison with women: The Ford is what men are dreaming of until they meet the BMW and find out that a reliable nice looking woman can give them more than a promising untamable beauty ever could.

I am talking only about the stock versions of the car, tuned both are real stunning cars.

The most underestimated track is Imola, first it is used very seldom in career mode and second it is not that easy to drive fast and clean as the layout make it look like. It is not easy to get the right feeling for every single corner. Mostly by hitting the perfect line you can go through a fast corner even way faster than expected. On the other hand slower corners mislead to go through them faster than it is advisable.

relent0r
13-08-2015, 21:08
Most underrated for me has to be the GT4 Ginetta. Every night, I start by trying to host a GT4 lobby yet no one really joins. As soon as I switch to GT3 I'm swamped by people. I also very much like the Audi A1, it's great around small tracks (As is the Clio.)

As for tracks, Oulton park seems to always have people voting against it when I pick it to be used. I don't think Sonoma is disliked. People don't vote against it and I often get more folk joining when I am on there.

The GT4 Ginetta is wicked, especially against cars of same class. Slower in a straight line but an absolute monster in the corners.

Grijo
13-08-2015, 21:08
In Formula A carrer i did a race in Imola. After that, i put this track in my favourites list! You're right about the Beemer but i love too much Zakspeed Capri, the sound...OH MY GOD

bluesky0870
13-08-2015, 21:15
In Formula A carrer i did a race in Imola. After that, i put this track in my favourites list! You're right about the Beemer but i love too much Zakspeed Capri, the sound...OH MY GOD

I love the Ford more too, lol. I saw this car on the Nordschleife when I was a young boy, maybe 11 or 12. And until today there has been no other car that impressed me so much. (except of the Alfa33 race car that I fell in love with as a little boy when I raced it with working headlights in the dark on my Carrera slot car racing track.

It seems that the wild and untamable girls are still attracting me more than the reliable and predictable ones. :D

N0body Of The Goat
13-08-2015, 21:23
BAC Mono

Cadwell GP

ajsbsd
13-08-2015, 21:43
BMW M3 GT4

Monaco (Azure Circuit)

Grijo
13-08-2015, 22:19
I love the Ford more too, lol. I saw this car on the Nordschleife when I was a young boy, maybe 11 or 12. And until today there has been no other car that impressed me so much. (except of the Alfa33 race car that I fell in love with as a little boy when I raced it with working headlights in the dark on my Carrera slot car racing track.

It seems that the wild and untamable girls are still attracting me more than the reliable and predictable ones. :D

LOL, both of us! I love Carrera and Scalextric slot cars! I have two Carrera sets and about 50 slot cars (Carrera, Scalextric, Fly, Pioneer and Scx).

bluesky0870
13-08-2015, 22:31
Hm, here in Germany only the Carrera brand is common and well known. Nowadays I don't own a slot car track, but in my youth I had several with single line and later I got the Carrera Servo with changeable race lines. I am not sure if I owned them after getting them as a gift or if my grandfather gifted the Carreras to me because he wanted to play with them too. He very often spent his time with me on these tracks... lol

Grijo
14-08-2015, 00:52
Hm, here in Germany only the Carrera brand is common and well known. Nowadays I don't own a slot car track, but in my youth I had several with single line and later I got the Carrera Servo with changeable race lines. I am not sure if I owned them after getting them as a gift or if my grandfather gifted the Carreras to me because he wanted to play with them too. He very often spent his time with me on these tracks... lol

Just one of my slot car collection...

hkraft300
14-08-2015, 01:27
Lotus 98T at Nordschleife, if you want an intense experience.

TheReaper GT
14-08-2015, 05:41
Lotus 98T at Nordschleife, if you want an intense experience.

Sweaty forehead after three turns auhauhua

weerufus
14-08-2015, 06:08
I've been really enjoying some of the shorter tracks recently in the ginetta gt5 in order to try & be smoother then build up to faster cars again,

The small tracks at Sakitto are amazing, also Nurburgring& oschersleben are really good.

Probably favourite car in game is ginetta gt4

Gloomy
14-08-2015, 07:48
sakito and donnington are some favorites of mine. I like the racing with the ginettas too.
There's a bunch of cars and tracks I haven't even touched yet though.
Worst car for me so far is that Mercedes-Benz 300sel 6.8 amg, I just can't control it at all, feels like I'm driving a boat around the track.

MartinMWWebb
14-08-2015, 08:43
Car wise, I am enjoying the M1 Procar which doesn't appear that popular. Just combined this with Bathurst in an invitational event and was the best experience in the game so far.

I did this a few weeks back - agreed!

Grijo
14-08-2015, 10:39
I did this a few weeks back - agreed!

M1 Procar and Bathurst..lovely couple, they are made for each other ;)