PDA

View Full Version : Chicanes

Skrillex
13-08-2015, 23:13
Why is it that all road courses have a chicane? Is there a specific reason for it? Why does a track like Donnington have 1 while a track like Monza has 3? Why can't there be a road course with just turns and no chicane? Not a complaint just curious. :)

Neil Hopwood
13-08-2015, 23:22
They are there for safety. Chicanes are used to slow cars down.

For exampe the one at watkins glen was added after J. D. McDuffie was killed when his brakes failed going into what was then turn 5. The Chicane moved the braking point back farther from the wall.

Similarly the Tamborello chicane at Imola was added after Senna's death in 94. It both slowed the cars down and moved the track way from the wall.

Also, not al road courses have chicanes.

Skrillex
13-08-2015, 23:35
They are there for safety. Chicanes are used to slow cars down.

For exampe the one at watkins glen was added after J. D. McDuffie was killed when his brakes failed going into what was then turn 5. The Chicane moved the braking point back farther from the wall.

Similarly the Tamborello chicane at Imola was added after Senna's death in 94. It both slowed the cars down and moved the track way from the wall.

Also, not al road courses have chicanes.

Thank you I was just curious and your answer makes total sense. But, wouldn't a sharp corner accomplish the same thing?

Roger Prynne
14-08-2015, 01:03
Chicanes are also good for out-braking an opponent in a race as well, and can be very exciting for the drivers and spectators.

Skrillex
14-08-2015, 02:51
Chicanes are also good for out-braking an opponent in a race as well, and can be very exciting for the drivers and spectators.

Again I like and agree with the answer, but I ask again, wouldn't a sharp turn accomplish the same thing? Yes I also use the chicanes to overtake and I also use them to gain time on 2nd place if I am in the lead. ;) With all the chicanes pros, I still personally find them annoying. I understand the purpose and agree with out braking but nothing that can be accomplished by a chicane or 2 or in some cases 3 can't be accomplished by a sharper turn. At least make them back to. back chicanes like Monza has. Or perhaps its called an "S" turn. For some reason I don't mind that turn at all lol :)

Neil Hopwood
14-08-2015, 04:24
For the most part I find the annoying.

There are some that work well with the flow of the track such as the inner loop at the glen and ascari at monza, but most end up being the worst part of a track.

miagi
14-08-2015, 04:35
A sharp turn would "turn" the track in a different direction. They didn't want to change the layout, they only wanted to slow down the avg. speed, top speed or slow the cars down before certain crucial points. A chicane does that on a small amount of space, while changing the track layout as little as possible.

Or take Le Mans for example, the 24h layout goes down the Ligne Droite des Hunaudières, a public road, and that is fine, they don't want to turn into a other road, so the solution was build in 2 chicanes.
The reason for that was in the late 1980 the speed of the cars down that straight exceeded 400 kph, and with the downforce the cars were able to generate in the late 80s, tire damage became a common problem. Tire damage at 400 kph is not funny at all. Because of that, in 1990 FIA decided that the maximum length of a circuits straight may not be more than 2km. So Le Mans got 2 chicanes on the long straight, that slowed the top speeds down and solved the tire problems.