PDA

View Full Version : A rundown of the GT3 class cars' strenghts and weaknesses?

nalorn
14-08-2015, 01:00
Considering GT3 is what I mostly see in online lobbies, as a beginner I would like a better idea of what each car brings to the able? Are they fairly balanced, do some tracks heavily favour one over the other? How does the DLC car measure up to the others?

Noxrai
14-08-2015, 06:09
Hey mate, on the whole most of the cars are fairly well balanced. Some cars will better suit tracks or parts of tracks better than others and everything could change come to the next track. There is usually a trade off that each car makes to gain an advantage in another area. Which makes for very entertaining races. Best way to find out what car does what and which one suits your driving style is to simply test drive them yourself at a track you enjoy/know well.

I'll give you a rough rundown on the cars. In my experiences even though both the M3 GT3 and Ginetta GT3 cars handle corners amazingly, they still seem to struggle the most keeping pace with the other GT3 cars on most tracks. So I would hesitate if you want to be dominant in races. Not saying they are slow, as I have won races with both but I know I can go quicker in other cars.

My rough outline of the cars, some I have driven extensively some I have only done a few laps in. So don't take what I say as gospel.
In Alphabetical order:

Astin Martin Vantage - has good top end speed but can be a handful and a bit tail happy.

Audi R8 - I feel is the jack of all, master of none car. The all rounder and always competitive.

Bentley Continental - Big bad car. Has serious acceleration and descent top speed. Struggles a bit in tight corners. Stock setup is very tail happy. Must tune.

BMW Z4 - This car is all about the corners. Handles like a dream. Loses it's time in the straights. Still very competitive.

Mclaren 12c - Probably the strongest car out of the gates without a tune. Easy to drive and strong in most areas but can be prone to understeer.

Mecedes SLS - Similar to the Bentley with its acceleration and has even better top speed. A little easier to handle but it's brakes have trouble slowing it down.

RUF RGT - Similar to BMW Z4 and excels at tight twisty tracks. Rear end can be deadly on it, if not respected. Low top end speed.

I think that's all of em. Hope that helps. Anyone else have different takes on what I said?

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
14-08-2015, 06:29
BMW M3 GT is getting an update in the next patch, running the same tyres as the other cars in the class (it's currently running narrowre tyres), which should bump it up considerably, evening out the playing field further. The Ginetta is my favorite due to the amazing cornering capabilities (default setup isn't great though, underdamped and really rear biased for a race car) and can be an amazingly fast car, but does take a certain kind of driver to bring out the best in it and match the times of the other cars.

One thing about the SLS, the car has (in real life as well) a pretty inefficient aero kit, the teams often end up running the car with minimum to near minimum aero settings because higher settings just don't give enough grip in comparison to the increased drag. Other than on the very slowest of tracks I'd tend towards low DF settings.

Also gotta remember that the two turbo cars, the Bentley and the McLaren, don't suffer from power loss at altitude like the naturally aspirated cars do, so they can have a big advantage on tracks like that, while having less of an advantage on tracks closer to sea level.

miagi
14-08-2015, 06:33
Are they fairly balanced, do some tracks heavily favour one over the other?
Yes and yes ^^
Just kidding, don't think too much about the strength and weaknesses of the cars, try em all and find the right one for you. the one that fits your driving style and way of racing most. Don't think about faster or slower, think about more or less fun for you. If you have fun driving it, it will motivate you to pratice more and push harder, if you don't really like to drive it, you will never be very quick in it anyway! When you try the cars, most default setups are good or not far away from being good, if you know a few things about setups, play around with it a bit before you move over to the next car. If you don't know much about setups, try your luck with one of the setups on http://projectcarssetups.eu/ or check the forum for hints and if you don't find anything, open a thread an ask.

Testing out the various GT3 cars on different tracks and tuning them could bring you great entertainment for one, two or even more weeks. The journey could be the reward here.

If you then find the GT3 car you love most, when racing against other car on various tracks you will notice the advantages and disadvantages anyway ^^

PS: The M3 GT has a pretty small restrictor. And low drag. So it will come up to speed eventually but is nearly always down on power. On the other hand it is quite fun to drive and has some die hard fans among the old WMD members. Being a ACO racer and not a GT3 class car, it does not feature ABS in real life.

Naz
14-08-2015, 06:47
Very interesting topic guyys. Can't say I am experienced or knowledgeable enough to add anything to discussions as yet, but am enjoying reading this and am very appreciative of the contributions.

Cheers.

NemethR
14-08-2015, 07:04
My experience is also, that the cars are well balanced, not on 1 track, but throughout multiple race tracks (championship)

Track A suits some cars better, while track B suits other cars better.

Aston Martin - With a bit of tuning this car can be a dream to drive.
Audi - Also needed a bit of tuning, as the default setup was somehow strange to me.

For me these two are the fastest, closly followed by the BMW Z4, McLaren and RUF
These 3 cars are pretty good with their default setup, but a bit of tweaking does not hurt.

The Mercedes, and the Ginetta are not my thing, the Mercedes is like driving a bus, the Ginetta, is very fun to drive, but I am slow with it.

And the Bentley... Now that car needs tuning.
The default setup is bad. The car does what it wants, was almost undriveable for me.
Then I found a nice setup and improved my lap time by 5 sec.

Pcars Driver 44
14-08-2015, 07:44
The Audi R8 in career I never placed once! I tuned the car felt good but just got stuffed by the AI I even turned the AI down to 60% still couldn't place. Any tips on anything I could have been doing wrong ???

TheReaper GT
14-08-2015, 07:48
The Audi R8 in career I never placed once! I tuned the car felt good but just got stuffed by the AI I even turned the AI down to 60% still couldn't place. Any tips on anything I could have been doing wrong ???

Let me guess, very light steering at breaking after a straight?

Scav3nger
14-08-2015, 07:51
BMW M3 GT is getting an update in the next patch.

Update should remove it from GT3 all together, it's not a GT3 vehicle. It only ever came in GT2 and GT4 specification.

Bealdor
14-08-2015, 07:56
Update should remove it from GT3 all together, it's not a GT3 vehicle. It only ever came in GT2 and GT4 specification.

But it's a great match for the GT3 cars and having it competing with them is IMO much better than forcing it into a single car class.
Maybe this will change when the AM Vantage GTE will be released but for the moment this is the better solution IMO.

Pcars Driver 44
14-08-2015, 08:18
Yes! On acceleration and the straights I would out run them BUT on cornering and hairpins I would just get left behind. Found this one a challenge don't get me wrong still loved the challenge but just wondered if there was something I was missing. Audi R8

Scav3nger
14-08-2015, 08:19
But it's a great match for the GT3 cars and having it competing with them is IMO much better than forcing it into a single car class.

Whether it's a great match or not doesn't change the fact that it was never made in GT3 spec. If the blurb is for the game to be the most authentic racing game on the planet then the M3 should not be in a class it's never existed in.

TheReaper GT
14-08-2015, 08:20
Yes! On acceleration and the straights I would out run them BUT on cornering and hairpins I would just get left behind. Found this one a challenge don't get me wrong still loved the challenge but just wondered if there was something I was missing. Audi R8

Increase the front toe in a bit, 0.2 should be enough. A little stiffer front sway bar can help too.

Bealdor
14-08-2015, 08:26
Whether it's a great match or not doesn't change the fact that it was never made in GT3 spec. If the blurb is for the game to be the most authentic racing game on the planet then the M3 should not be in a class it's never existed in.

Why should we limit our gaming experience just because those cars never raced against each other IRL?
It's not like those cars are 15 year apart from each other or have totally different performence or look totally different.
They're not built by the same rules, I agree, and if we had more GTE cars I wouldn't mind giving them an own car class. But as of now we'd just limit the # of cars racing against each other because of "It's not this way IRL so it shouldn't be like that ingame because... reasons."

Pcars Driver 44
14-08-2015, 08:28
Thank you very much I'll give it a try! That's what I like people helping you out and the challenge of just getting that perfect tune Really appreciate it :D

miagi
14-08-2015, 08:29

That is not 100% true, it raced against resp. with GT3 cars in 24h of Nordschleife, and won one out of two years if I'm not mistaken ^^
In pCARs, atm the M3 GT is not really a threat to the GT3 cars, so it's okay. It wasn't always that way and there are a few problems. In the end the M3 GT is quite different, and as a result, a GT3 car can never outbrake the M3 GT :P

Iwanchek
14-08-2015, 08:48
One question to all tuners, I like to drive around Monza in my Mclaren GT3, and i canr reac 1:45 mark which is reachable but my current set up is"limited", so, how can i imrpove my set up to get better times around the track.
My set up is mixed, ive just changed the angels of the susspension front -2.8 rear -1.6, downforce front 2/3 rear 3/4 and gearbox which is in the middle...

can u tell me what can i improve to gain better lap times!

thnx in advance :)

Bealdor
14-08-2015, 08:52
One question to all tuners, I like to drive around Monza in my Mclaren GT3, and i canr reac 1:45 mark which is reachable but my current set up is"limited", so, how can i imrpove my set up to get better times around the track.
My set up is mixed, ive just changed the angels of the susspension front -2.8 rear -1.6, downforce front 2/3 rear 3/4 and gearbox which is in the middle...

can u tell me what can i improve to gain better lap times!

thnx in advance :)

1) Get rid of that DF. It's almost totally useless on this track.
2) Make sure to not bottom out too much. This will reduce top speed and Monza is quite bumpy.

Invincible
14-08-2015, 08:53
Drop downforce to 1/1. Maybe increase tyre pressure by 1 - 2 clicks for higher top speed. Match the gearbox if possible that you nearly hit the rev limiter on the longest straight.
Soften the suspension all around a tiny little bit and lower ride height too. You might want to avoid curbs now due to reduced ride height.

miagi
14-08-2015, 09:04
Monza... not sure what you need downforce for on Monza. Go extreme for a test and try 0 or lowest df on the front and something very low on the rear that still keeps the car stable in fast corners. Check brake duct and brake temps, more duct is more drag. ADD: The colors in the Telemetry-HUD should give you a good feel for how much you're pushing the brake temps. The optimum you can achieve is having green maybe slightly into blue brakes for fist chicane and green-yellow-ish brakes before 2nd chicane, if you can get there, rest of the track should work too.

See if you can lower the ride height, maybe that is not possible because Ascari is a trick place where some cars tent to spin out because they bottom out. With less downforce, you could try softer springs, one "click", but that could also cause bottoming out in Ascari, so watch out.
I don't remember if you can do something about the gearing on the Mclaren, but if, make sure it's not too long. Maybe lower the tire pressure a bit, will improve deceleration (slightly) but watch out to not get too high tire temps. Many slow spots on Monza too, improvements on the differential are possible. You can try increase acceleration lock, would give you a better resp. more stable acceleration in straight line, but more oversteer on throttle in the corner, could be a problem in Parabolica. Reduce deceleration lock to get around the slow corners better, maybe?

That would be the very basic stuff, you would need to give me more detailed feedback about what your exact problem is for me to give more precise hints. I don't want to sound disrespectful but the best way to gain time on Monza is practice. The thing is, the track looks simple, but getting involved deeper with it, it shows quite a lot of improvement potential, driving wise, in many many small details that add up to several tenths per corner + straight afterwards. One can always improve on Monza.

Iwanchek
14-08-2015, 10:50
great advices tho, thnx to all of you

Dynomight Motorsports
15-08-2015, 15:07
I think the Bentley needs to be better balanced, you can tell in the right hands that car dominates most tracks by a couple of seconds over the other GT3 cars. Just look at the top ten times for each GT3 cars at most tracks and the Bentley is too good. It needs to be Nerfed a bit.

miagi
15-08-2015, 15:11
I think the Bentley needs to be better balanced, you can tell in the right hands that car dominates most tracks by a couple of seconds over the other GT3 cars. Just look at the top ten times for each GT3 cars at most tracks and the Bentley is too good. It needs to be Nerfed a bit.
Before patch 3.0 there was a bug that gave that car low drag in any df setting, that got fixed.