PDA

View Full Version : Do you understand the "rules" of racing?

OverHaased
14-08-2015, 14:34
Do you understand the "rules" of racing?

The basics are simple enough, no contact with other cars, stay on track,..and so on.

However in many races of late it sure seems that drivers have no idea what to do when a faster car approaches from the rear in a race or qualifying.

Overtaking a lapper is difficult enough even when they do follow the rules.

If it is a qualifying session and a car closes rapidly on you due to you being on your out lap or just suffered a lap killing mistake like spinning off etc, please, please move off line and allow the person that is on their "hot" lap to not be impeded by you.

In a longer race where you may find the leaders overtaking you could you please not fight them for position? I had this happen to me in a 25 lap race @Laguna last night where I held a tiny lead over second place and a lapper blocked me into T2, and then weaved about allowing the second place car to get in close enough that we ended up 3 wide down into t5 then the lapper just drove into my car and I spun off.

Sure it is just a game and all but geesh we all just invested over an hour into this one event and we suffer such a disappointment from basic lack of sportsmanship, or flagrant ignorance.

So I hope we can all learn how to race, and teach those that are still learning.

Brent G
14-08-2015, 14:59
And that there is why I tend to steer clear of MP. Its a shame online gaming attracts this sort of infantile behaviour. I feel for you MPer's I honestly do.

Pink_650S
14-08-2015, 15:21

The basics are simple enough, no contact with other cars, stay on track,..and so on.

However in many races of late it sure seems that drivers have no idea what to do when a faster car approaches from the rear in a race or qualifying.

If it is a qualifying session and a car closes rapidly on you due to you being on your out lap or just suffered a lap killing mistake like spinning off etc, please, please move off line and allow the person that is on their "hot" lap to not be impeded by you.

In a longer race where you may find the leaders overtaking you could you please not fight them for position? I had this happen to me in a 25 lap race @Laguna last night where I held a tiny lead over second place and a lapper blocked me into T2, and then weaved about allowing the second place car to get in close enough that we ended up 3 wide down into t5 then the lapper just drove into my car and I spun off.

Sure it is just a game and all but geesh we all just invested over an hour into this one event and we suffer such a disappointment from basic lack of sportsmanship, or flagrant ignorance.

So I hope we can all learn how to race, and teach those that are still learning.

What about those who are not willing to learn?
Those who bought Project Cárs because it was yet another new game and its 'cool' to own every new game nowadays.
What about 90% of the YouTube-Generation that got this game from Mommy or Auntie, then realized that they dont stand a chance online, so they decide to wreck everyone that crosses their way.

What about those?
No chance of teaching them.

Haiden
14-08-2015, 15:29

If you play in public servers with random people there is absolutely no way to avoid this, without SMS creating some kind of rated lobby system. And, even then, unless it mirrors iRacing's license system, it would probably only be a slight improvement. You're absolutely right about racing etiquette, though. But there are too many drivers (players actually) out there that bought the game for arcade style fun and/or have never watched an actual race in their life. They don't know the rules, and worse, don't care to learn. If you want a better experience, you're gonna have to find a club or establish connections with players that observe etiquette. Sucks, but that's the reality of MP, especially on console.

Roger Prynne
14-08-2015, 15:47
If you play in public servers with random people there is absolutely no way to avoid this, without SMS creating some kind of rated lobby system. And, even then, unless it mirrors iRacing's license system, it would probably only be a slight improvement. You're absolutely right about racing etiquette, though. But there are too many drivers (players actually) out there that bought the game for arcade style fun and/or have never watched an actual race in their life. They don't know the rules, and worse, don't care to learn. If you want a better experience, you're gonna have to find a club or establish connections with players that observe etiquette. Sucks, but that's the reality of MP, especially on console.

And has been in many games for many years.

OverHaased
14-08-2015, 18:42
Just think how wonderful it would be if we had some way to communicate with other players in our race. If only some magical spell could be casts and we could verbally engage our fellow competitors.

A friendly comment to the person being passed. could probably eliminate 90% of these interactions.

Oh how I dream of the day in the far distance future when the chat function gets invented.

AdM1
14-08-2015, 18:47
Do we really need another thread? There's already a big one titled 'rammers' which is based on this same topic.

Machinist90
14-08-2015, 18:48
And that there is why I tend to steer clear of MP. Its a shame online gaming attracts this sort of infantile behaviour. I feel for you MPer's I honestly do.

to be fair Ai ignores blue flag as well ;)

OverHaased
14-08-2015, 20:22
Do we really need another thread? There's already a big one titled 'rammers' which is based on this same topic.

This not about ramming, it is about giving way to another player that is on a qualifying lap or how to conduct yourself while being lapped.

hope that helps

DECATUR PLAYA
14-08-2015, 21:19
Just think how wonderful it would be if we had some way to communicate with other players in our race. If only some magical spell could be casts and we could verbally engage our fellow competitors.

A friendly comment to the person being passed. could probably eliminate 90% of these interactions.

Oh how I dream of the day in the far distance future when the chat function gets invented.

I have tried not to gripe to loudly about this as I do enjoy the game very much but this is the only way to control a room. Communication is key I have missed my braking point many times but didn't mean to hit anybody but I did. In rooms with a strong host and a strong group of racers you normally don't get this stuff. Game chat game chat game chat we need it bad. Not letting a guy pass when your getting lapped is no racing etiquette but solid communication would help.

MonK3Y
14-08-2015, 21:34

To be honest, I never race with a headset and never believed in the "to your right, to your left" thing. If you're quicker and racing for position you have to find a way. Of course this doesn't mean blatant blocking is acceptable. I also respect blue flags and steer clear of faster cars but that's mostly because I do watch a ton of real racing and replicate the behaviour in this game, which is serious enough.

I think on one hand you got unlucky and on the other, the way the game deals with contacts can be pretty frustrating. I hope you find "cleaner" racers next time.

OverHaased
14-08-2015, 22:17
Why does every MP thread always end up with folks suggesting that the only answer is to find a league or private races?

Honestly I have a job, and a life so when I get an hour to spend on the console it just ain't possible to coordinate my free time like that. So I look for or start a MP session. After all is that not why we have this type of game in the first place?

The theory is it is a global game, played in every time zone so logging in at any moment of the day should result in finding a lobby and therefore a race. That is all I want, well that and the ability to communicate by voice and not by playing PCars the braille version.

ashasha
14-08-2015, 22:24
This is why I haven't ventured into MP yet.....not because of the chuckleheads out there, but because I'm just not good enough at "racing" yet. I'm getting pretty good at being fast and even consistently fast, but even that's not the same thing. I need to learn patience and control my competitive nature where every lap has to be a hot lap and if I'm not in first place I'm going to drive the car to the point of stupid even if it's absolutely out of reach.

And the truth is that it's just fun sometimes to drive like a maniac with my hair on fire. I don't even care what place I finish in after the race is done, it's about the experience so I tend to push it too hard to get through multiple laps without collateral damage. I don't feel bad for AI, but I'm nowhere near ready for competition with real people that are trying to enjoy the game the right way.

Neil Hopwood
14-08-2015, 22:24
I think most of the problems in multiplayer are actually something else. Its the wide variety of skill levels out there.

Don't get me wrong, people need to obey the rules, but with the variety of skill levels out there its hard to not end up with stupid crap happening.

All it takes is one guy not having the skill to go into a turn fast enough and he brakes early and bam you have a big crash as everyone stacks up behind him. In public MP you never know what skill level the guy next to you has, and it compounded by the fact that you race with different people all the time, you can't learn the strengths and weaknesses of the other drivers.

Umer Ahmad
14-08-2015, 22:25
3.0 relieves this situation with browse-able lobbies like we have on PC & PS4