PDA

View Full Version : Can you watch hotlaps ghost replays?

b_akerlite
16-08-2015, 20:27
Just wondering. It might be a silly question but I don't see the option to view a ghost replay despite the blurb at the bottom of the time screen saying download and view ghosts?
Probably easy but I don't see how to do it?!

Shakurazz
23-08-2015, 10:37
I would also like to know that. Ghosts are useless to me if I cannot watch the actual car from inside and see where the driver brakes, which gears and which trajectory he / she chooses.

bigsilverhotdog
24-08-2015, 02:07
I don't think ghosts are supposed to be terribly useful, they're just an incentive to do better and are slightly useful in providing small clues as to what the ghost driver is doing. Full telemetry is giving away too much and not fair in a sporting sense. Develop your own driving line and setup and refine it over hundreds of laps like the rest of the aliens.

Shakurazz
24-08-2015, 13:54
That's too much work for a casual player.

3800racingfool
24-08-2015, 16:52
That's too much work for a casual player.

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but if not. That's what makes the alien level players with the top times what they are. The fact that they can or do put in the work. If someone wants to remain a casual player then that person shouldn't expect to be posting world-beating times. It's one of the may aspects of the game that mirrors real life particularly well. Not only that but it adds to the challenge of beating X driver's time because you need to figure out the puzzle of setup and driving style on your own.

Shakurazz
26-08-2015, 05:43
No, I wasn't sarcastic. Well everyone can watch, for example, Lewis Hamilton pole lap's replay and see where his braking points are, which gears he chooses etc. That doesn't make everyone drive like Lewis Hamilton. All I want to do is see areas which I could improve the most, I don't see any foul play here. Also, if someone is so proud of their lap time, an option could be made whether she / he wants to share their replay. I'm sure someone in the top 50 would share.

aerchak
31-08-2015, 02:24
I've spent a lot of time earning my spots on the leaderboards.

You can do the same if you wanna share that space.

Lemme' put it this way: If you can't tell where you're leaving time, you aren't hitting the top 50 anyway.

VonSchwerin
01-09-2015, 05:21
I havent tryed the ghost on Pcars but if its like in F1 2013(and others) you can see where the ghost is pulling away, and use that to see where you can make time. You also have the sector times to compare.

To use someone else brakepoints is useless because you dont have the same drivingstyle, same line, same hardware.
Some people trailbrake and some dont, we use different pressure both in feet and game, the balance also vary.
I compare times with a friend who is a braking 10 m later than me (and sometimes more) and im faster than him despite that.

kapnk066
25-09-2015, 18:18
.................. Develop your own driving line and setup and refine it over hundreds of laps like the rest of the aliens.

I've always defined aliens as those who don't practice for hundreds of laps yet they're just plain fast right out of the box.........with no "worldly" explanation of how they do it. But that's just my take........:D

bigsilverhotdog
25-09-2015, 19:51
I've always defined aliens as those who don't practice for hundreds of laps yet they're just plain fast right out of the box.........with no "worldly" explanation of how they do it. But that's just my take........:D

Nobody is alien fast right away without any practise in something related to what they're driving and full knowledge of the circuit. Nobody has ever been fast on their first run without any experience whatsoever. This doesn't happen, and is a myth perpetuated by less skilled drivers who don't understand the work that "alien" requires.

Learn the track + learn the car + refine setup/line + high skill level = alien lap times.

Leave any of those steps out and your lap times won't be alien. You can have alien skill all you want but without practise you won't look alien on the stopwatch. Why do you think every major racing category has practise before the official events, or that MSC dominated F1 for nearly a decade with 10-100x the practise of every single one of his competitors? You think that's a coincidence? ;)

Krus Control
27-09-2015, 15:59
Learn the track + learn the car + refine setup/line + high skill level = alien lap times.

I think alien speed is a bit more complicated. Personally I understand car setup and racing lines in such a way that I can see where speed is available in certain ways. Sometimes you see a faster line is possible, sometimes you see that setup needs specific changes. The important thing is that you see these things and that you think about speed in a different way from normal people. Sometimes it means you get up to speed way faster, sometimes it means your perfect lap is a full second faster than anybody's. Whatever the case, that's what an alien is; an exceptional driver that achieves more than you thought was possible.

bigsilverhotdog
28-09-2015, 20:26
I think alien speed is a bit more complicated. Personally I understand car setup and racing lines in such a way that I can see where speed is available in certain ways. Sometimes you see a faster line is possible, sometimes you see that setup needs specific changes. The important thing is that you see these things and that you think about speed in a different way from normal people. Sometimes it means you get up to speed way faster, sometimes it means your perfect lap is a full second faster than anybody's. Whatever the case, that's what an alien is; an exceptional driver that achieves more than you thought was possible.

Those are all things related to 'high skill level', are they not? :)

I agree with you of course. You are entirely correct and accurate.

aussiejeff
28-09-2015, 23:36
FYI ATM it's impossible to view how some of the top leader board times have been set via watching their ghosts. I should know. I've got quite a few Top 5's myself in various cars :rolleyes:.

Why Is It So?..well, because for some god-forsaken reason most of the lap times I set now are not saved with a watchable ghost at all. The same goes for an increasing number of other TT'ers out there.

The game USED to save a ghost for every new laptime that I set. However, it has decided to no longer do so. This has been the case for me for some time now, but no-one in the interim has provided a satisfactory reason as to WHY this is happening :apologetic:. Meanwhile, the TT leaderboards become more & more populated with ghost-less new lap times.

So, I'm hoping WMD can respond Sooner(tm) rather than later with a solution to

(a) the increasing number of legitimately set but ghost-less lap times,

&

(b) whether they propose to reset the leaderboards (again) as a result of a fix, if such a drastic move is required?

Fingers x'ed before Xmas.... :confused:

aussiejeff
30-09-2015, 08:59
In fact, this issue has been bubbling along since at least June of this year... http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?24126-Time-trial-ghosts-not-appearing&p=974303&viewfull=1#post974303

I'm honestly bemused at the lack of any official technical clarification as to WHY so many people's ghosts are now not saving any more. At least 90% of my times that I am setting now in TT have no ghost. It sucks that no-one can follow them... including ME!

Ball's in your court again guys....

Krus Control
30-09-2015, 14:01
It sucks that no-one can follow them... including ME!

A lot of the time I've noticed that ghosts save locally but never upload. Check your local ghosts next time. And you can always reference your own split time which in my opinion is more valuable than a ghost. Honestly you gain almost nothing from following ghosts. You can check if they're cheating and that's about the full extent of the usefulness of ghosts. IRL you never get to see the lines other drivers take on their best lap and you have to just rely on laptimes to figure it out.

bigsilverhotdog
30-09-2015, 14:09
And you can always reference your own split time which in my opinion is more valuable than a ghost. Honestly you gain almost nothing from following ghosts. You can check if they're cheating and that's about the full extent of the usefulness of ghosts. IRL you never get to see the lines other drivers take on their best lap and you have to just rely on laptimes to figure it out.

More truth spoken truthfully and quoted as such!

aussiejeff
30-09-2015, 20:44
A lot of the time I've noticed that ghosts save locally but never upload. Check your local ghosts next time. And you can always reference your own split time which in my opinion is more valuable than a ghost. Honestly you gain almost nothing from following ghosts. You can check if they're cheating and that's about the full extent of the usefulness of ghosts. IRL you never get to see the lines other drivers take on their best lap and you have to just rely on laptimes to figure it out.

You are kidding me with that generalization, right? You are seriously stating that you NEVER see the lines top driver's take on their fastest laps via in-car dash cams, track side cams, chopper cams, drone cams etc, etc :rolleyes:?? Live TV, Pay TV, Youtube etc, etc. Sorry, but I don't believe you - unless you are talking purely about very low level club day tooling about - but even then, most serious car clubbers can be seen moving around the track watching & observing their faster rival's race lines & craft.

I can assure you as a past participating member at many West Australian Car Club tuning days & race events at Wanneroo Raceway (now Barbagello) I regularly took note of the various lines other drivers took on the approaches, exits & through the apexes of EVERY corner on that delightful track - to help not only with my own road/track car tuning day lap times but to simply understand what made the best guys in the club up to and including the Sport Sedan & V8 Supercar guys so much faster than the rest.

As far as PCars is concerned, I am almost exclusively a TT'er (1,356 lap times recorded so far) & ALWAYS prefer to load a faster ghost than me where available to act as a "lure" - similar to greyhound racing ;). I can often push a little bit more than I ever thought I could if a faster lure is in there in front of me - & I often learn a lot from where they are braking and their racing lines as well as benefiting from the associated IMMERSION factor. Racing alone on a deserted track is definitely not as much fun or enticing as racing a ghost or two :(.

So for me & no doubt most other TT-centric players, the availability of other player ghosts to race against in TT is VERY IMPORTANT - a fact that seems to be getting lost on a lot of RACE-centric players here. The increasing loss of these ghosts without an explanation yet as to what is going on or how it will be resolved is what is concerning me.

Cheers,
aj

Krus Control
30-09-2015, 21:02
You are kidding me with that generalization, right? You are seriously stating that you NEVER see the lines top driver's take on their fastest laps via in-car dash cams, track side cams, chopper cams, drone cams etc, etc :rolleyes:?? Live TV, Pay TV, Youtube etc, etc. Sorry, but I don't believe you - unless you are talking purely about very low level club day tooling about - but even then, most serious car clubbers can be seen moving around the track watching & observing their faster rival's race lines & craft.

I can assure you as a past participating member at many West Australian Car Club tuning days & race events at Wanneroo Raceway (now Barbagello) I regularly took note of the various lines other drivers took on the approaches, exits & through the apexes of EVERY corner on that delightful track - to help not only with my own road/track car tuning day lap times but to simply understand what made the best guys in the club up to and including the Sport Sedan & V8 Supercar guys so much faster than the rest.

As far as PCars is concerned, I am almost exclusively a TT'er (1,356 lap times recorded so far) & ALWAYS prefer to load a faster ghost than me where available to act as a "lure" - similar to greyhound racing ;). I can often push a little bit more than I ever thought I could if a faster lure is in there in front of me - & I often learn a lot from where they are breaking and their racing lines as well as benefiting from the associated IMMERSION factor. Racing alone on a deserted track is definitely not as much fun or enticing as racing a ghost or two :(.

So for me & no doubt most other TT-centric players, the availability of other player ghosts to race against in TT is VERY IMPORTANT - a fact that seems to be getting lost on a lot of RACE-centric players here. The increasing loss of these ghosts without an explanation yet as to what is going on or how it will be resolved is what is concerning me.

Cheers,
aj

I'm just talking about track days or other low level racing. I have no idea of what it's like for the drivers in higher leagues. You may be able to see a driver's line in 1 corner but that really rarely will tell you anything about how you can take the corner differently. Also you have no reference for if that driver is doing something at their personal best. You typically don't get to see how drivers accomplished this laptime or that laptime. IRL there is no equivalent to having a ghost where you can see "Oh he's faster in turns 3 & 7 by .6sec and .35sec." Typically you're not able to watch other driver's dash cams before putting your lap in. Yes they do exist but I've never been to a track day where people were swapping dash cam footage. Of course in higher leagues you can just tune the tv in, but even then there is only a limited amount of information you can get from footage like that unless its onboard of a whole lap. The way you can analyze a ghost and compare braking points and such has no equivalent in real life. The way you 'greyhound' the ghosts gives you so much more info than you can acquire IRL. It is not essential to have ghosts. What is wrong with doing laps and seeing how fast you can go without ghosts? This is typically how people race IRL.

bigsilverhotdog
30-09-2015, 21:19
Further, a ghost is actually a distraction from your own lap and will prevent you from achieving your best. You can think its more fun because of the 'greyhound lure' thing all you want, but it makes you slower. I guarantee it.

For that reason I never use ghosts except to see if someone cut/cheated.

Krus Control
30-09-2015, 21:33
Further, a ghost is actually a distraction from your own lap and will prevent you from achieving your best. You can think its more fun because of the 'greyhound lure' thing all you want, but it makes you slower. I guarantee it.

Yeah, this is how I feel on the subject as well. I wouldn't go so far as to say you'll be faster. I'll say it makes me faster to use no ghost. My mind is more open in terms of how to go faster. I'm typically not even using ghosts to check for cheating anymore. You can almost always tell without a ghost if a certain laptime is impossible. Seeing for yourself really makes no difference.

aussiejeff
30-09-2015, 21:47
Well sorry guys, but neither of you appears to be TT-centric (since the leaderboard wipe, one of you has managed 30 TT lap times, the other 0), so I'll have to agree to disagree with your mutually supportive opinions on the availability of ghosts in TT mode. Each to their own. :cool:

bigsilverhotdog
30-09-2015, 22:14
You play with external view and aids and are slow everywhere you go, largely because you focus on quantity over quality. If that's what you like then fine, but acting superior because of it makes you look silly.

You have "managed" to be ahead of me on 0/30 of the approx 15/30 that we share.

You're 4 seconds behind Donington Formula B, 7 seconds behind Bathurst Lotus 78, 8 seconds behind Road America Lotus 78, 5 seconds behind Silverstone Formula 1000, etc, etc, etc.

If I wanted to I could have 1300 utterly useless non-representative TT times too... but I actually put time and effort into learning cars, tracks, and setups, and I only post a time when I have something worth posting.

edit: Maybe external view is why you like greyhound ghost chasing? Really arcade-y tho...

Krus Control
30-09-2015, 22:23
Yeah, what we're talking about is setting a competitive laptime that people would have trouble beating. Not just setting any old laptime as it appears you've been doing. Maybe ghosts do help you on your silly quest for lots of laptimes. Just let me know when you can beat any of my Azure Coast or Nord times and I'll listen to your opinion with a more open mind.

Edit: I'm twitch.tv/SETHONMETH on the leaderboard

aussiejeff
01-10-2015, 00:16
You play with external view and aids and are slow everywhere you go, largely because you focus on quantity over quality. If that's what you like then fine, but acting superior because of it makes you look silly.

You have "managed" to be ahead of me on 0/30 of the approx 15/30 that we share.

You're 4 seconds behind Donington Formula B, 7 seconds behind Bathurst Lotus 78, 8 seconds behind Road America Lotus 78, 5 seconds behind Silverstone Formula 1000, etc, etc, etc.

If I wanted to I could have 1300 utterly useless non-representative TT times too... but I actually put time and effort into learning cars, tracks, and setups, and I only post a time when I have something worth posting.

edit: Maybe external view is why you like greyhound ghost chasing? Really arcade-y tho...

Lol. Lemme assure you when you reach 64+ years of age, you need ALL the help you can get to counter your failing eyesight & slowing twitch reflexes (among other things). I am entirely happy to get within top 15 on the most populated tracks.

IF I ever managed to beat one of your times, will you be happy knowing it was a 64 year old slow, rickety geezer that just beat you with his clapped out Logitech Momo?

Hehe. Challenges accepted. ;)

Krus Control
01-10-2015, 00:23
Honestly you probably don't want to shoot for my times. They're like super duper fast. But yes I would be very impressed indeed if you beat any of them, even with assists. It would make me quite happy if you beat even just one by even just a little bit.

iKasbian
01-10-2015, 08:49

I'm surprised this is what you think, I rely on my ghost car from my best lap to go quicker, always have done, helps alot.
When I was running competitively back on FM4 lots of the top guys were doing the same. :confused:

bigsilverhotdog
01-10-2015, 13:41
Some of my times are catchable, some aren't so much. I often put up a decent representative lap (but not anything crazy) and then wait for someone to 'pick up the gauntlet'. See if you can get within 1 second of my Formula B @ Donington time using no driving aids. If you can I'll be impressed. There's not much time left to find there.

PS: Seth, regrettably Google Image Search couldn't give me a good picture of Extra-Terrestrials high fiving. :(

FACT0RY PIL0T
02-10-2015, 11:43

I actually use ghost to determine if there is anything I can do better on the whole track at certain points, and to judge corner, and straight speeds, along with does using 2nd or 3rd out of certain turns help me get better drive off the turn etc etc.

But then sometimes as you say it can be a distraction when you get to knocking off that last .300 and only hinders you.

But intially when building a setup I use ghost, and mainly mine only 99% of the time.

FACT0RY PIL0T
02-10-2015, 11:45
Some of my times are catchable, some aren't so much. I often put up a decent representative lap (but not anything crazy) and then wait for someone to 'pick up the gauntlet'. See if you can get within 1 second of my Formula B @ Donington time using no driving aids. If you can I'll be impressed. There's not much time left to find there.

PS: Seth, regrettably Google Image Search couldn't give me a good picture of Extra-Terrestrials high fiving. :(

Post your setup ill try :o

ElMister
02-10-2015, 12:18

What's your lap time on Donington? I consider myself to be fairly quick with the Formula B so it would be fun to see if I can get close to it.

FACT0RY PIL0T
02-10-2015, 12:46
What's your lap time on Donington? I consider myself to be fairly quick with the Formula B so it would be fun to see if I can get close to it.

Hes got a 1:10.565

bigsilverhotdog
02-10-2015, 14:59
With no aids whatsoever and in car camera. (http://cars-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard?track=354022214&vehicle=2976119256) Lap should be totally clean too, I always instantly stop the lap whenever I see myself go 'all 4 wheels outside' the white lines.

I won't be handing out this particular setup. Figuring out how I did what I did is part of the challenge. It's not unbeatable, but as I said there's only a couple more tenths available, and I'm not keen on trying to pull them out at the moment. Maybe I will be if the record is threatened.

PS: When I started Formula B @ Donington I thought 1.12 was very fast. Such is the nature of hot lapping... :D

ElMister
02-10-2015, 15:02
I've done about 8 hotlaps with a copy and paste setup and my best so far is a 1:11.002. Tweak the setup for the track and I'm sure that I can bring down at least one second.

bigsilverhotdog
02-10-2015, 15:30
PS4 not the same as PC, but regardless if you used aids or not that's still impressive. :)

ElMister
02-10-2015, 15:43
Just got a 1:10.545 and this was my first time on Donington with the Formula B car, so there's plenty of time to be gained. I'd say with the correct setup and a good track knowledge a 1:09.8XX would be possible.

FACT0RY PIL0T
02-10-2015, 23:10
PS4 not the same as PC, but regardless if you used aids or not that's still impressive. :)

Whats diffrent between ps4, and pc right now?

iKasbian
03-10-2015, 16:30
Consoles don't have any advantage over pc. I'd like to see some pc times replicated on Xbox with controller.

Th3Pr0ph3cy
09-12-2015, 22:44
Seems that this game is for Elite Players only, who doesn't want to share their secrets! According to posts from bigsilverhotdog (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/member.php?10957-bigsilverhotdog)... I hate this shit!

I even dunno what is the intention for the setup feature in the Leaderboard - setups should be forced to default setup - I am a racer and not a racing engineer! I don't want hours over hours spending to figure out the best setup. But what I sure know is that there will be no changes - and so I think that this would be the last game from SMS that I bought...

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar
09-12-2015, 23:30
Did anyone answer the OP's question? Yeah you can, which I didn't know until I saw a video. Start the TT, cross the line, and park until the ghost crosses it. Watch a replay and use d-pad left or right to change to the ghost view. If the lap is longer than 2 minutes, you'd have to start the replay at 2 minute intervals to watch it all.