PDA

View Full Version : Ode to the 98T

aerchak
17-08-2015, 05:14
'Twas 1986, year after my birth,
John Player Team Lotus confused of their worth.
For in the prior season, with no one to blame,
Their championship hopes had just gone up in flames.

With Senna in seat one, holding no fear,
They needed a car that could win big that year.
As always of course it would be black and gold,
But never before was a race car so bold.

An unrivaled machine in which Ayrton could thrive,
what came to be, not even Senna could drive.
Since the engineers surmised in their darkest hour,
"Give it all of the tires, and all of the power."

As fast as a bullet, and with no one surprised,
It could easily podium, if it only survived.
We learned well that year, and it still makes me sick,
That Formula 1 could have a good turbo V6.

A kind of absurd that we've seen none of since,
The sound of the that turbo will still make me wince.
The scream of the engine, the wail of the boost,
Christ, at 150 this thing somehow gets loose.

A time distant past, which seems long forgotten,
A tamer F1 we all have begotten.
When we see this old beauty, with the madness it mulls,
Explaineth Team Lotus, "We did it all for the lulz."

hkraft300
17-08-2015, 08:48
That was beautiful.
Almost brought tears to my eyes:
"'Explaineth Team Lotus, 'we did it all for the lulz.'"

aerchak
17-08-2015, 18:03
That's really the only possible explanation I can fathom for the 98T's existence. It's just madness incarnate.

It takes the basic theory of how to make a car fast (make it light, and give it power) and just puts it way over the edge. It's the racing equivalent of the Hennessey Venom GT. Yes, it is absurdly fast, but it's also borderline useless because it's so damned hard to drive, and there's every possibility that the engine is going to detonate before you get to the finish line.

Even Project Cars treats the car somewhat less so than what it actually was, rating it at a mere 900hp when most people agree that it was closer to 1200hp. Of course later in the season, Lotus did kind of de-tune it since it kept blowing engines on them, but still, it's a 1300lb car with a 1200hp engine. They seemed to believe that would be alright if it just had the fattest tires possible on the back of it. F1 (and racing in general) was just a different beast back then, and it's kind of sad that this particular brand of madness has been gone for so long.

We'll never see anything like the 98T again. We'll never see anything like the GT40 at Le Mans. Never again a Superbird at Daytona. No more Group B. For as fast as race cars are these days, they're ultimately a tamed beast. It's better that they're safe, for sure, but there's something kind of less fun about it now.

DECATUR PLAYA
17-08-2015, 18:15
'Twas 1986, year after my birth,
John Player Team Lotus confused of their worth.
For in the prior season, with no one to blame,
Their championship hopes had just gone up in flames.

With Senna in seat one, holding no fear,
They needed a car that could win big that year.
As always of course it would be black and gold,
But never before was a race car so bold.

An unrivaled machine in which Ayrton could thrive,
what came to be, not even Senna could drive.
Since the engineers surmised in their darkest hour,
"Give it all of the tires, and all of the power."

As fast as a bullet, and with no one surprised,
It could easily podium, if it only survived.
We learned well that year, and it still makes me sick,
That Formula 1 could have a good turbo V6.

A kind of absurd that we've seen none of since,
The sound of the that turbo will still make me wince.
The scream of the engine, the wail of the boost,
Christ, at 150 this thing somehow gets loose.

A time distant past, which seems long forgotten,
A tamer F1 we all have begotten.
When we see this old beauty, with the madness it mulls,
Explaineth Team Lotus, "We did it all for the lulz."

Now I understand the 98t. I got a buddy that will not race in this car because of what happened to Senna. I also understand why it's so DAMN hard to drive. Beautiful ballad.

Bealdor
17-08-2015, 18:19
I got a buddy that will not race in this car because of what happened to Senna.

But it's not the car that he had his accident with. :confused:

aerchak
17-08-2015, 18:51
Senna lost control of the Williams FW16 because it was a disaster of a car. The rule changes barring traction control and active suspension had forced Williams to redesign large sections of the car, but it never drove well at all as a result. Prior to his death, Senna had said the car just never felt right. He had never run a lap in it where he actually felt comfortable. It handles very, very poorly.

And this is the same guy who dominated in the MP4/6, which was a pig.

DECATUR PLAYA
17-08-2015, 18:56
Senna lost control of the Williams FW16 because it was a disaster of a car. The rule changes barring traction control and active suspension had forced Williams to redesign large sections of the car, but it never drove well at all as a result. Prior to his death, Senna had said the car just never felt right. He had never run a lap in it where he actually felt comfortable. It handles very, very poorly.

And this is the same guy who dominated in the MP4/6, which was a pig.

This is why I love the forum you get to learn so much. I have never been a formula 1 fan so I'm learning. My buddy said it was the 98t that it happened in.

Poulka
17-08-2015, 19:05
Yeah Senna was driving the Williams FW16 and he didn't like the feel of that car saying, something serious was going to happen that season.

aerchak
17-08-2015, 19:27
This is why I love the forum you get to learn so much. I have never been a formula 1 fan so I'm learning. My buddy said it was the 98t that it happened in.

Oh no, he never got hurt in the 98T. Or, I guess I should say he was never seriously injured. I'm sure he probably sustained injury at some point. Hell, he only finished 10 races in the damned thing. Their #2 that year only finished 6 races. Every other one ended up with some variation of either "Okay, I suddenly don't have oil pressure anymore" or "Where did the front wheels go?" What's honestly remarkable is that the 98T didn't kill either of them. The damned thing is such a handful that you could never properly wring it out on the track, though. You had no choice but to take it easy in it. It just had too damned much power.

A lot of other teams were really upset about the car even being on the grid, because it was plainly obvious that if they ever figured out how to consistently survive races in it and utilize its full potential, then it would be completely unstoppable. Toward the start of the season a lot of people were calling for it to be banned, but they all calmed down once it became readily apparent that no one on earth could consistently drive it at 100%, since the power curve of the insane turbo V6 meant that in a span of about 2000rpm you suddenly have about 750 more horsepower. This can have a way of causing problems even when you have tires roughly as wide as the driver's shoulders.

ARNAGEist
17-08-2015, 19:30
but it's also borderline useless because it's so damned hard to drive
I find turning down the boost pressure makes it easier to control the huge amount of power & drive a decent lap.

The original turbo era was crazy (but fantastic to watch) the 1st ever race I attended was the 1986 at Brands Hatch, Senna instantly became my new favorite. previously it was his team mate Johnny Dumfries, Senna was just a master of car control and amazing to watch.

aerchak
17-08-2015, 19:33
Oh yeah, turning down the wastegate pressure is definitely a method of making it more manageable.

However, I still prefer the method of "push the skinny pedal and hope for the best."

I feel like the Lotus Class of '86 invitational is probably the best tutorial you could hope for in pCars. If you can learn to drive that thing effectively, there isn't a car in the game that you can't handle.

hkraft300
18-08-2015, 01:13
It's not a very difficult car to drive. With a little suspension and gear tuning it's quite manageable, fun and fast. You can even throw it around a little and play with it at about 5.5 bar

But... At 6 bar boost, with its 1200hp, slightest steering angle at 4th gear it will break loose... It just becomes murderous, and the only car in this game to properly put fear in you.

TMoney
18-08-2015, 01:49
Very nice!

I found myself reading the comments below
as if the poetry continued and on went the show
but as I went on I was quickly to find,
everything was over cuz none of it rhymed

AdM1
18-08-2015, 01:56
It's not a very difficult car to drive. With a little suspension and gear tuning it's quite manageable, fun and fast. You can even throw it around a little and play with it at about 5.5 bar

But... At 6 bar boost, with its 1200hp, slightest steering angle at 4th gear it will break loose... It just becomes murderous, and the only car in this game to properly put fear in you.

But that's just how it has to be done.. Full boost for the win!

I don't find it too bad after 2nd but I bet you use TC and full throttle it? All about throttle control and TC off mate.

Also senna is a legend, not just because how fast and good at driving he was but his spirit, he was hugely passionate and just an amazing man all round from what I've seen.

MillsLayne
18-08-2015, 02:24
I leave the car setup alone and just hope for the best and if I can get a good fast lap without incident, I feel like such a badass. haha

hkraft300
18-08-2015, 03:34
But that's just how it has to be done.. Full boost for the win!

I don't find it too bad after 2nd but I bet you use TC and full throttle it? All about throttle control and TC off mate.

Also senna is a legend, not just because how fast and good at driving he was but his spirit, he was hugely passionate and just an amazing man all round from what I've seen.

Negative. My friend. No assists here.
With the right gear ratios and treating the boost with respect it's fine below 5.5 bar
But, I agree with you. It's no fun without full boost! Pity the engine won't last for more than 3 laps and I usually race with mech failure on. But when there's no mech failure, full boost FTW!

aerchak
18-08-2015, 04:14
Negative. My friend. No assists here.
With the right gear ratios and treating the boost with respect it's fine below 5.5 bar
But, I agree with you. It's no fun without full boost! Pity the engine won't last for more than 3 laps and I usually race with mech failure on. But when there's no mech failure, full boost FTW!

This is pretty much all true.

However, I find that with anything above 5.0 BAR, the engine begins deteriorating very quickly on any track where you spend a significant amount of time on the top end of the engine.
6.0 BAR can't even turn a full lap at Nurburgring when driven in anger.

Turning off mechanical failures (and let's be honest, damage too, because otherwise lol good luck) and putting it at 6.0 with the radiator completely closed off is just about the craziest thing you can do in pCars. I honestly don't imagine it's faster than the Formula A, but holy hell it feels like it is.

aerchak
18-08-2015, 04:16
Oh, and I have absolutely no idea how you drive the 98T with a Dual Shock 4 and no assists. My hat's off to you, buddy. On a wheel it can be done fairly routinely, but I could never pull that off with a gamepad.

AdM1
18-08-2015, 04:29
This is pretty much all true.

However, I find that with anything above 5.0 BAR, the engine begins deteriorating very quickly on any track where you spend a significant amount of time on the top end of the engine.
6.0 BAR can't even turn a full lap at Nurburgring when driven in anger.

Turning off mechanical failures (and let's be honest, damage too, because otherwise lol good luck) and putting it at 6.0 with the radiator completely closed off is just about the craziest thing you can do in pCars. I honestly don't imagine it's faster than the Formula A, but holy hell it feels like it is.

Yup nothing accelerates quite like it imo.

Admittedly I race without mechanical failures, because arcade racer you see.. Means I can enjoy this full boost goodness non stop though.

hkraft300
18-08-2015, 08:49
The feedback through the pad is really good. So you can feel what the car is doing quite well enough.
I'm not a stick basher either. The right controller settings and practice. I'm good with my fingers ;)
Ye engine doesn't last long above 5 bar. Looking at about 10 laps of Watkins GP or Monza at 5.3 bar.
The nordschleife in the 98T is quite the sim racing experience.

hkraft300
02-01-2016, 02:39
This thread deserves a bump.
Aerchak needs to write more ode's

TheReaper GT
02-01-2016, 02:46
Brilliant stuff, brilliant