PDA

View Full Version : Watkins Glen track 5 second penalty is too sensitive

stangnutlx
17-08-2015, 18:47
Watkins Glen when you run wide in turn 1 and turn 10 anytime you run wide off the corner it gives you a 5 second penalty. Can anything be done about it?

Also the AI runs a jacked up line after coming out of turn 1 too

3800racingfool
17-08-2015, 19:18
Watkins Glen when you run wide in turn 1 and turn 10 anytime you ride wide of the corner it gives you a 5 second penalty. Can anything be done about it?

Also the AI runs a jacked up line after coming out of turn 1 too

I'll +1 about turns 1 and 10. With the new patch both of those runoff areas got a lot stricter. I wouldn't say their terrible by any means but they definitely feel a little bit on the "tough love" side.

Haven't noticed the AI line. I'll have to run a race or two and check it out.

JstnJ
17-08-2015, 20:01
First we complain about no penalties, now we complain there are too many...will we ever be satisfied!? :)

stangnutlx
17-08-2015, 20:23
I honestly think the off track penalties are stupid but hell if we have to have them in the game make them right.

RTA nOsKiLlS
17-08-2015, 20:27
Sounds perfect to me. Does it give you a penalty if you don't run off the track?

MrFlibble81
17-08-2015, 20:30
It needs to be strict there because you can gain SO much time by running wide at turn 1 and cutting the corner at 10. Learn to live with it and stay between the lines.

Gavin Thomas
17-08-2015, 20:37
Done a few races at Watkins Glen yesterday in the GT3 class I'd say turn 1 is fine. You can get up on the curb lovely, you take both wheels past the curb and it's a penalty which is fine by me.

What I don't like is the penalty system, forcing a driver to slow down on track is not only unrealistic if it was done in real life would be classed as dangerous.

5 seconds added to the overall time at the end would be less painful, and much more realistic a penalty.

Umer Ahmad
17-08-2015, 20:38
Glad to hear it got tighter, some guys run wide EVERY lap.

http://youtu.be/zZFxD4gSgX4

RomKnight
17-08-2015, 20:39
I for one want the option to get that thing OFF. Hate it and it makes no sense in league racing.

stangnutlx
17-08-2015, 22:00
everyone on this forum gets so butt hurt when you say you don't like something... bunch of friggin kids.

MrFlibble81
17-08-2015, 22:03
Who's getting butt hurt? You gave your opinion, others gave theirs. That's it. No butt hurting going on here.

MillsLayne
17-08-2015, 22:11
Honestly, and I ONLY have this opinion for Watkins Glen, I don't like that you can't run wide in those turns, seeing as how it's done in real life whether someone was forced off or is just racing really hard and goes wide. A 5 second penalty sounds like BS for those situations.

crowtrobot
17-08-2015, 22:14
There is at least a second to be gained, maybe a bit more, by running wider at T1, same at T10 on the inside. The new boundaries seem good to me , especially for hotlapping.

That said, the slowdown penalty is dangerous while racing. I've learned to watch for it on when I can still see the other driver, but there are also times where you take a blind turn and SURPRISE, there's a penalized driver. It'd be way better just to stack time penalties at the end.

RTA nOsKiLlS
17-08-2015, 23:35
Honestly, and I ONLY have this opinion for Watkins Glen, I don't like that you can't run wide in those turns, seeing as how it's done in real life whether someone was forced off or is just racing really hard and goes wide. A 5 second penalty sounds like BS for those situations.

Does it give you the penalty the instant you leave the track? Or is it when you are rejoining the track?

Maybe if you slow down before rejoining the track (lose the time you gained) and see what happens?

Using the excuse of "racing really hard" is not acceptable. If its not the track, and your using it, gaining time, and penalty should be issued, along with an invalidated lap.

AdM1
17-08-2015, 23:39
There is at least a second to be gained, maybe a bit more, by running wider at T1, same at T10 on the inside. The new boundaries seem good to me , especially for hotlapping.

That said, the slowdown penalty is dangerous while racing. I've learned to watch for it on when I can still see the other driver, but there are also times where you take a blind turn and SURPRISE, there's a penalized driver. It'd be way better just to stack time penalties at the end.

Yeah there needs to be a better way than them just sat in the middle of the track trying to block anyone getting past that's for sure.

MillsLayne
17-08-2015, 23:40
Does it give you the penalty the instant you leave the track? Or is it when you are rejoining the track?

Maybe if you slow down before rejoining the track (lose the time you gained) and see what happens?

Using the excuse of "racing really hard" is not acceptable. If its not the track, and your using it, gaining time, and penalty should be issued, along with an invalidated lap.

I'm not sure as I haven't experienced it yet (also not sure if it's part of the 3.0 patch), but the idea of that bothers me. Even if you take away the hard racing excuse, what if you get shoved off? Happens all the time in the game and in real life, so you'd be doubley penalized for the shove off and then the 5 second penalty.

stangnutlx
17-08-2015, 23:50
you get the penalty once you come back on the track.

RomKnight
18-08-2015, 11:58
Well, lap could be invalidated without the slow down. In league racing is bad as you don't know if the guy in front received a penalty and suddenly you hit him.

Donington (short) last chicane as example. It is good to be strict but two guys going hot fighting on the brakes if they touch or the guy on the left hits the kerb just that little bit more he will quickly slow down and barely now way to get out of the way. it'll be a hit from the guy behind for sure.

The cut lines are fine, is just the slow down that i hate.

Raven403
18-08-2015, 12:01
Well, lap could be invalidated without the slow down. In league racing is bad as you don't know if the guy in front received a penalty and suddenly you hit him.

Donington (short) last chicane as example. It is good to be strict but two guys going hot fighting on the brakes if they touch or the guy on the left hits the kerb just that little bit more he will quickly slow down and barely now way to get out of the way. it'll be a hit from the guy behind for sure.

The cut lines are fine, is just the slow down that i hate.

This, just adding 5 seconds to the race time should be a sufficient penalty. I hate the slow down

RomKnight
18-08-2015, 12:05
I don't think we need to go as far as of adding the 5s to the cut track but it is a good ideia :D

still it is easy to push the guy you're fighting with to force that so it would be kind of unfair. The clios as example are meant to fight door to door and it is easy to go wrong unintentionally.

They're already losing time so, who cares. just invalidate the lap time in TT and let the marshals on the racing league decide the rest.

But I can see your point on public lobbies. Which is why the option to put it OFF is needed.

N0body Of The Goat
18-08-2015, 14:11
Before his well earned vacation, Doug looked at the more extreme cases where running wide out of a corner could give significant time gain, his main concern was stopping cuts on the inside of corners and trying to catch any "false" penalties (where laps would be unfairly invalidated while staying on track) before patch 3.0 release. ;)

stangnutlx
18-08-2015, 18:54
Ok maybe I should clarify. the second slow down is unnecessary

hkraft300
19-08-2015, 01:52
How about during a race, you get warnings for cutting track/ running wide, and 3 infractions give you a drive through penalty instead of 5 sec slow down? Do it again it's a stop-go penalty. Do it yet again - black flag DQ...?
Keeps the penalties off track so no slow cars around a blind bend.
I've ruined others races at spa for example I got loose through eu rouge and got a 5 sec, then while moving off track a fast car came up over the hill and smashed into me.
We have a drive-through and DQ systems in place already, eg for jump starts.

N0body Of The Goat
19-08-2015, 08:47
As I've written many times, these "go slow" penalties are a danger to others, that can be made worse by spiteful "go slow" penalty takers (blocking those travelling at full race speed and trying to drive fairly).

I would like to see a change to either...
Using drive through; stop and go; black flag penalties
Add penalty time to their final race time (perhaps having using the "opponent name" display to show a red number of seconds to be added, so others behind know a driver has a post-race penalty coming and can decide to safely hang back)

Or combine the two.

ONT
19-08-2015, 14:27
The 5 sec slow down is a bad solution indeed :)

Can't wait to see that penalty system in action for OVAL racing.....43 cars pileup crash at every penalty, lovely :)

Drive through penalty FTW.

MrFlibble81
19-08-2015, 14:29
The 5 sec slow down is a bad solution indeed :)

Can't wait to see that penalty system in action for OVAL racing.....43 cars pileup crash at every penalty lovely :)

Drive through penalty FTW.

If you try and cut on a oval you're already at a massive disadvantage because it's slower and the track is dirty there. Also, if you try and go from the banking down to the flat on the inside of the corner, it's going to spin you around.

hkraft300
19-08-2015, 14:49
if you try and go from the banking down to the flat on the inside of the corner, it's going to spin you around.

Unless you have mad rally driver skills ;) lol jk

MrFlibble81
19-08-2015, 14:51
Well...yeah. But even then it's gonna be hard to catch it! Could be fun trying though!! lol

ONT
19-08-2015, 16:27
If you try and cut on a oval you're already at a massive disadvantage because it's slower and the track is dirty there. Also, if you try and go from the banking down to the flat on the inside of the corner, it's going to spin you around.

Guess You never watched a race from the Phoenix track :)