PDA

View Full Version : I found a workaround for the steering ratio bug.

Doge
17-08-2015, 21:43
This is a problem that rarely gets mentioned but for some reason the steering ratio is the only item that fails to save and apply the changes. I would try different ratios, notice no changes, then next day play the same car/track combo and get a completely different car.

Yesterday I solved this (for me) mystery. I had done some search work here and couldn't find information, so I assume this isn't a known problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbzck7cZid0

I hope this helps people going around this problem and be able to select and save the ratio they actually wany, and also help devs to solve it next time. Once you know when the problem happens and can reproduce it everytime it shouldn't be hard to patch.

Noxrai
17-08-2015, 23:48
Very good video mate. Straight forward and easy. Should help a lot of people that are having this problem.

Suds
18-08-2015, 02:20
Thanks for the vid. There have been a few times I questioned whether my ratio adjustments were doing anything. Now I know why...

Doge
18-08-2015, 13:19
I've been told the adjustments also save pretty consistently if you change the ratio on the garage screen. I haven't been able to test this though!

Mahjik
18-08-2015, 13:27
Notified the devs..

Tronch1
18-08-2015, 13:40
Oh my god thanks! Now I can drive the karts.

For those who hate the karts try driving them with a slower steering.

Thomas67
18-08-2015, 13:56
Good job.

diesel97
18-08-2015, 14:11
Good job with the video , i think there is two problems going on here

1- is the steering ratio is off
2- is the steering lock is off

I think those are two different issuses , and it looks like both need to be looked at

Im Sorry
18-08-2015, 14:35
Is this a PC only problem.Or all platforms?

DonDalle
18-08-2015, 16:02
Thanks for sharing!

Liquid7394
18-08-2015, 16:43
Is this a PC only problem.Or all platforms?
The video is the PS4 version.

camillozockt
18-08-2015, 17:00
hey man, great video !!! i actually questioned it 2 times on the forum but nobody could explain me the problem !!

i have a g27 wheel and i have a very bad problem with ariel atom 500 v8 !!!

1. the ratio is always different
2. the steering LOCK is different !!! sometimes when i start the game and play with ariel atom 500 , it has the maximum steering lock and the next time i start it , the lock is suddenly 90° !!!

i will try out what you said in the video

Knightfall
18-08-2015, 17:12
Holy moly. Steering ratio was the first slider I learned to adjust in order to get a car to feel drive-able. Through all the patches, this is the baseline setting I use to get into my comfort zone. Now I see why when I was exiting my practice, the car felt so much different..

What an excellent job on this video. This might be the single most useful video I have watch with respect to this game. No disrespect to the other loads of quality videos.

inthebagbud
18-08-2015, 17:33
I have tested on xbox and can confirm the issue is there as well

The other way round the issue is to make the changes in My Garage

It also explains a lot over my issues with a car as I couldn't understand why in some sessions I would have major front wheel slip and in others it would be fine after tweaking steering ratio. Sometimes this was done in My Garage and other times in car setup so that is the explanation

Unfortunately it does throw up the question as to if any other settings are not being saved

maxx2504
18-08-2015, 18:20
Hi !

Im sorry to say that but a steering lock for all cars would be also very nice for ppl with 240 degrees wheels oder gamepads like in rFactor or R3 E. That would be make it much easier to control the cars.

novcze
19-08-2015, 14:30
I think this is related to my problems I reported here (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?37182-Bugs-after-patch-3-0&p=1086384&viewfull=1#post1086384), so I''ll just copy it:

"Formula A on Spa, steering sometimes differ between sessions, sometimes you needed to rotate the steering wheel more/less to get same results. I'm on PS4 and T300RS and this bug is not new, same thing happend to me with Formula B on Azure Circuit, practice and qualification were as usual, but in the race every slight movement of the steering wheel resulted in super sensitive steering. This bug has not been acknowledged yet."

Lagoa
19-08-2015, 17:07
Quite funny as everybody was telling me to leave the wheel calibrated at 900° and the game itself will change the steering ratio according to the car... And then they said to change the steering ratio in the setup if you want more input or whatever.. But this never actually worked.. So me changing to 270° at the wheel base for the formula cars is not so crazy after all. And as for the game changing the dor according to the car automatically is bs aswell.. As some cars are not correct at all... Formula B for example.

Mahjik
19-08-2015, 19:44
Quite funny as everybody was telling me to leave the wheel calibrated at 900° and the game itself will change the steering ratio according to the car...

Steering Lock is not the same as Steering Ratio.

Plage
19-08-2015, 21:59
Thanks for the info! This explains why some of my tests with setups didn't seem to made much sense. I'd actually say the same bug also concerns the "speed sensitive steering" (or what ever it's called in English) option/slider as changes during a session don't seem to get applied, too. At least I never noticed any difference during my testing.

Tronch1
20-08-2015, 11:29
This is awesome! Not only the karts benefit, a lot of road cars are far better when you can actually use a slightly faster ratio.

tonaz
14-10-2015, 22:55
the bug is still there.... :\

bmanic
26-11-2015, 18:43
.. bug still present.

IJOJOI
26-11-2015, 19:54
.. bug still present.

And it is since AGES ;)

One of the old WMD bugs we still carry on without a fix.
I reported this way back in 2013 :P

It goes along side the "setup bug" where setup values get overwritten by the setup on the last car you drove.

Hope this doesn't carry on in pCars 2!!!

BioForce
26-11-2015, 20:59
Notified the devs..

Patent pending... :D

vahagn_hayk
27-11-2015, 04:44
just hope pCARS 36 does not have this bug!

Liquid7394
27-11-2015, 09:12
This should be an easy enough fix, shouldn't it?

Doge
28-11-2015, 15:27
It really is a pain in the ass having to leave and enter sessions all the time when you first drive a new car to get such a basic setting right. It might be low on the priority list but itīs about time this gets fixed... itīs a bit like the problem where you canīt leave the "assign buttons" screen with some empty fields, itīs really annoying.

inthebagbud
28-11-2015, 16:24
And it is since AGES ;)

One of the old WMD bugs we still carry on without a fix.
I reported this way back in 2013 :P

It goes along side the "setup bug" where setup values get overwritten by the setup on the last car you drove.

Hope this doesn't carry on in pCars 2!!!

What they knew about it 2 years ago and haven't fixed it ...... that's bad enough but then not to tell people when the forums are littered with posts especially with save set up issues ......that's just down right ridiculous :(

redriot
29-11-2015, 11:26
Is this works for Xbox1 with a controller?

I tried the procedure from the video but the steering wheel on the screen has the same movement range - doesn't matter what the steering ratio setting is. It rotates about 100 degrees in both direction - is it because I use a controller not a steering wheel?

At first I tried the Lotus 49c, after that the Sierra RS - same limited on-screen wheel range.

PJB04
29-11-2015, 12:26
Is this going to be fixed or is it something we have to put up with?
This was reported months ago.

t0daY
29-11-2015, 12:58
Notified the devs..

And what did the devs say?

Doge
29-11-2015, 12:58
Is this works for Xbox1 with a controller?

I tried the procedure from the video but the steering wheel on the screen has the same movement range - doesn't matter what the steering ratio setting is. It rotates about 100 degrees in both direction - is it because I use a controller not a steering wheel?

At first I tried the Lotus 49c, after that the Sierra RS - same limited on-screen wheel range.

I donīt know for sure, but I think that if you play with a controller the virtual wheel always behave like that. But the reactions to your joystick inputs changes.

Mahjik
29-11-2015, 16:58

Steering ratio doesn't change the movement range. Steering ratio changes how quickly you can go from lock to lock (i.e. how fast the steering moves within it's defined range). The steering "range" or "lock" on the cars is part of the suspension geometry. You cannot change it.

And what did the devs say?

They don't "say" anything. We notify them of repro steps, that is all. Most of the time the QA group will attempt to reproduce the same issue and log JIRA's. However, that is outside of anything we get to see. This isn't WMD anymore so we have no insight.

Doge
30-11-2015, 01:22
Steering ratio doesn't change the movement range. Steering ratio changes how quickly you can go from lock to lock (i.e. how fast the steering moves within it's defined range). The steering "range" or "lock" on the cars is part of the suspension geometry. You cannot change it.

He talks about steering wheel, not about front wheels.

Front wheel max turn is indeed part of suspension geometry, so if you use a faster ratio you need less steering wheel rotation to hit full lock.

Liquid7394
07-12-2015, 22:28
Will this ever be fixed?

BioForce
10-12-2015, 06:47
Will this ever be fixed?

Short guess: no.
Will this bug be transfered to Pcars2? Yes.

But I hope they proof me wrong :D

Liquid7394
11-12-2015, 18:42
I take it this isn't fixed in 7.0?

inthebagbud
11-12-2015, 19:01
I take it this isn't fixed in 7.0?

doesn't look like it , not mentioned in patch notes.

Maybe one of those like the save setups that they cant fix in this version, as maybe it its too deep down and expensive to fix

vahagn_hayk
11-12-2015, 19:05
won't be fixed in 7.0 (guessing it is more problematic and they can't seem to find it or/ and fix it)

redruMKO
11-12-2015, 19:56
I thought the same about the bug that reverted the Advanced Steering Options on every boot, but they did fix that in the last update!!!!

There is hope.