justonce68
18-08-2015, 08:03
Who said I would never need to do maths once I left school

XB1..Check
TX Wheel ...Check
50" TV.....Check
GTOmega rig ....check
Calculator.....WTF

This is the only game I have needed a calculator on my desk to work out fuel usage, everyday's a school day.

nissan4ever
18-08-2015, 08:20
This is the only game I have needed a calculator on my desk to work out fuel usage, everyday's a school day.

Won't need calculator no more after patch 3.0 LOL. You'll get your lap estimation on fuel quantity.

barmydoughnut
18-08-2015, 12:38
I know working out fuel can be tedious but the fact that there is a human element where mistakes can happen leading to you changing your race strategy during the race increases the immersion and possible risk that real race teams sometimes experience. Surely if it calculates it perfectly every time it takes away a small bit of excitement. I am looking forward to the new update and it will make it easier and am not complaining but hope there is an option to turn it off you want to, particularly for short races which I do which are no longer than 30 mins.

Raven403
18-08-2015, 12:44
I know working out fuel can be tedious but the fact that there is a human element where mistakes can happen leading to you changing your race strategy during the race increases the immersion and possible risk that real race teams sometimes experience. Surely if it calculates it perfectly every time it takes away a small bit of excitement. I am looking forward to the new update and it will make it easier and am not complaining but hope there is an option to turn it off you want to, particularly for short races which I do which are no longer than 30 mins.

Sure, but in real life you usually have a crew/engineer who does that for you. The driver isnt keeping notes on the dash every lap.
There is an Approx. Laps of Fuel in the pit menu when your setting up the car on 3.0. Not sure how it hurts immersion tho. You can still get it wrong, and there's still decision making to do, take more fuel now and save time in pits later...etc etc.
The addition of the fuel estimation is a big win, along with tire deg graphics, something a driver wouldn't necessarily know either, but when you are the driver AND the crew you need that kind of info yourself

Schnizz58
18-08-2015, 14:11
Sure, but in real life you usually have a crew/engineer who does that for you. The driver isnt keeping notes on the dash every lap.
There is an Approx. Laps of Fuel in the pit menu when your setting up the car on 3.0. Not sure how it hurts immersion tho. You can still get it wrong, and there's still decision making to do, take more fuel now and save time in pits later...etc etc.
The addition of the fuel estimation is a big win, along with tire deg graphics, something a driver wouldn't necessarily know either, but when you are the driver AND the crew you need that kind of info yourself
Also liters/lap was already there in cars with a Motec display anyway. This just takes it a step further.

And who uses a calculator? That's so 1970's. I use a spreadsheet on my smartphone. :)

justonce68
18-08-2015, 15:26
Also liters/lap was already there in cars with a Motec display anyway. This just takes it a step further.

And who uses a calculator? That's so 1970's. I use a spreadsheet on my smartphone. :)

I'm "old school" and 47 year old eyes cant focus on a smart phone.........I remember 8 track also but I guess I'm talking in a foreign language now:rolleyes:

GRD 4 3L
18-08-2015, 15:39
I'm "old school" and 47 year old eyes cant focus on a smart phone.........I remember 8 track also but I guess I'm talking in a foreign language now:rolleyes:

Are you my doppleganger?

justonce68
18-08-2015, 15:41
What is a spread sheet, I have a bed spread and a bottom sheet, but no spreadsheet:cool:

Schnizz58
18-08-2015, 15:55
I love it when people younger than me complain about how old they are.

OpticalHercules
18-08-2015, 16:21
As Schnizz said, there is fuel/lap estimation in some motec displays, but I don't use a calculator for fuel, but doing simple averages is easy to me. I do use a calculator when working on my gearing for those cars with extremely customizeable gearboxes like formula, certain lmp, and the bmw m3 gt3. I know I could view current wheel ratios (gear x final) with the telemetry screen but that involves taking each adjustment out on the track, and that's what too much time. Much easier to chart out the possible wheel ratios for each gear and pick which would benefit you most on whatever track you're working on. It's still a very time consuming process, but the cars feel so, so nice when you have your gears properly adjusted to match each corner of a track. Only ones I've bothered doing this on so far is Catalunya and Watkins Glen just for my own amusement. Don't bother tuning that in-depth for career. Just a waste of time.

jimmyb_84
18-08-2015, 16:25
maybe I can help?

I've done the maths for you

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?35604-GT3-Strategy-DOWNLOAD-UPDATE-tyre-compounds-included&p=1057749#post1057749

justonce68
19-08-2015, 07:29
maybe I can help?

I've done the maths for you

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?35604-GT3-Strategy-DOWNLOAD-UPDATE-tyre-compounds-included&p=1057749#post1057749

Nice one Jimmy, you missed out the SMS factor...dropped wheel nut, broken gearbox! No calculator or spreadsheet can fix that

justonce68
19-08-2015, 07:30
I love it when people younger than me complain about how old they are.

Not complaining Schnizz, just stating a fact things don't work as they used too lol

STEELJOCKEY
19-08-2015, 08:00
Try doing 15 laps in a GT3 SLS at Launa Seca with only a 18l tank, trying to work out how to get to the end on only 1 pitstop, needing enough for the cool down lap so not getting DQed. Serious fuel management, but fun challenge.

Schnizz58
19-08-2015, 14:32
Not complaining Schnizz, just stating a fact things don't work as they used too lol
I have bad news... :)

jimmyb_84
19-08-2015, 18:34
Nice one Jimmy, you missed out the SMS factor...dropped wheel nut, broken gearbox! No calculator or spreadsheet can fix that

If I can get the formula to how that is calculated I could add it but your right I cannot account for acts of God/SMS Devs ;)

Innerspace_HQ
19-08-2015, 21:02
I have bad news... :)

You're going to need to hit it with nettles to make it work.... ;)

Dynomight Motorsports
20-08-2015, 00:19
I kinda enjoyed doing the math before. I fancy myself as an amateur engineer. I think I could get out and change the damn tires faster than my crew though whilst their fumbling with their nuts. Technically, we shouldn't even be fiddling with the Spring Rate and Dampers (Values) because that's the Engineers Job! A driver's job is to tell his Engineer what the car is doing in certain places. The Engineer then decides what spring rate and damper (Values) to change to make the car behave. So Yeah..Fuel Mileage is an Engineers Job. The driver just drives and gives feedback.