PDA

View Full Version : You're kidding, right?

wearymick
19-08-2015, 13:27
So, earlier tonight, instead of wasting my time posting more doomed TT laps in the shadow of the imminent leaderboard wipe, I decided to take the plunge and kill some wait time by running the Formula Rookie in career mode. I like that car a lot and can drive the wheels off it all day with a cheerful disposition, so I gave it a go even through racing against AI is somewhere down the scale from chewing on gravel in the spectrum of things I like to do for fun.

Having sailed through Oulton Park, Snetterton and Catalunya, bemused at the startling speed and extremity of some of the weather transitions, I arrived at Donnington, qualified first for a rain affected race 1 and found myself, mysteriously, in third place on the grid. Oh well, I said, and proceeded to win the race anyway. Race 2 came up and I found myself sitting at the back of the grid in heavy rain.

A few dozen race restarts (and much 'strong, coarse language') later, with the AI set to everything between 0 and 100 I gave up as it was literally impossible to thread through their haphazard and clueless shenanigans without getting whacked off the track. Time and again they were aimlessly braking, fishtailing, cutting the line, swinging wildly across the track, drifting, spinning, overshooting, and generally behaving like drunken idiots in a desperate hurry to meet their maker.

I don't think I've had a more irritating and disingenuous ARCADE experience in any title, and that includes all the endless, infuriating, by-the-numbers boss levels that at times seem so obligatory in video games. Needless to say, I have summarily abandoned career mode and will never be going back. I didn't sign up for a pretend sim that sets out to deliberately and childishly frustrate straightforward play. You can dress it up all you like, but cheap nonsense like that is the worst kind of thing in gaming.

Oh, and if it wasn't intentional, and just bugged out, that's actually worse.

OverHaased
19-08-2015, 14:08
You do understand that you do not have to win every round in career right? just like in real life, you will have a bad round or three.

wearymick
19-08-2015, 14:11
You do understand how to read, right? You seem to have completely missed the point.

OpticalHercules
19-08-2015, 14:15
Maybe you qualified first and it bugged you to third for race one on donnington, but Race two grid is based on your second fastest qual lap. Are you sure you put in two competitive laps?

That aside, maybe it is like this in real life, but I absolutely hate tier 3+ career races at donnington. It's not my favorite track to start with, and it seems to always try to throw weather at you at the damnedest times.

Having only started F/Rookie for the first time a few days ago, I was quite surprised how competitive they are even at 70% when compared to how cautious the drivers are in F/B or F/A. I went the US Cup route and started at Watkins Glen and they were very competitive. Sonoma Short was a bit less so...

OverHaased
19-08-2015, 14:17
Read, yes I can actually read, I can even tie my shoes and find my way home from work on most days.

My point was the AI issues in career are well documented and possibly being tamed down, yet to understand that you could have started dead last, fought your way to the end of the race and finished mid pack, made enough points for the whole carrer to advance. so I apologize that I did not jump in and start screaming about how broken the game is. I was trying to get you to try and move on if you wanted to.

Now I must go now, my medicine is ready.

OpticalHercules
19-08-2015, 14:19
... and find my way home from work on most days.

It's those other days that give flavor to life :D

Brent G
19-08-2015, 14:43
The open wheeler A.I. Are shocking though lads, you can't tell me you ain't cursed their treatment of you which is to say it's as though your completely invisible to them or if you are visible to them it seems they mean to kill you.

OverHaased
19-08-2015, 14:54
Oh the AI is downright psychopathic.

I fought tooth and nail with them and finished mid pack, I also have surrendered and tried to run dead last just to see what would happen and the buggers slowed down to a crawl and waited for me.

However if my temper is flared up from this I just stop, go do something else. Honestly if you get angry at a "virtual" opponent... you need to get out in Meat space and interact with living breathing entities, preferably a friend or partner, if not, a dog.

OpticalHercules
19-08-2015, 17:49
OP is correct, there is a bug that I reproduced with the Formula Rookie Euro Trophy round 2 at Donnington Park National. Didn't matter how far ahead I qualified, I was still placed in third on the grid for race #1. I was placed in first for race #2, which is both correct and impossible. It's correct because all of my qual laps were at least 3 seconds faster than second place, and impossible because race #2 grid is set based on second-fastest qual times. How could I start in a lower grid on race #1 than I can on Race #2?

Dynomight Motorsports
20-08-2015, 00:34
Talk about vindictive. The AI in Grid Autosport would actually try to take you out. These AI just don't adjust or overcompensate to you when you enter their line.