PDA

View Full Version : Logitech G27 advice needed.

Denco
19-08-2015, 16:10
I'm seeking for some advice.

I have a chance to buy the G27 for 170 euros. The thing is I already own DFGT so I really don't know if I should go for it. Any users here who switched from DFGT to G27 and can share their experience. Is the FFB better? How do you find the transmission and the pedals? Should I go for it or not?

F1_Racer68
19-08-2015, 16:21
If the G27 is the best you can afford, then yes, I would upgrade to it. Keep in mind it is an older model wheel so not as good as many of the newer wheels.

The entire feel of the wheel both build quality and FFB is far superior to the DFGT. I made the same upgrade almost 2 years ago now and I absolutely loved the upgrade. The DFGT feels like a toy by comparison. The FFB is stronger, the gearing and wheel rotation is smoother and yet also tighter (no wobble in the shaft). The pedals are not even comparable..... steel vs. plastic.... G27 are far better.

Real_Reece
19-08-2015, 16:57
G27 user here. Good wheel, for the money don't think anything comes close really...

Denco
19-08-2015, 17:37
If the G27 is the best you can afford, then yes, I would upgrade to it. Keep in mind it is an older model wheel so not as good as many of the newer wheels.

The entire feel of the wheel both build quality and FFB is far superior to the DFGT. I made the same upgrade almost 2 years ago now and I absolutely loved the upgrade. The DFGT feels like a toy by comparison. The FFB is stronger, the gearing and wheel rotation is smoother and yet also tighter (no wobble in the shaft). The pedals are not even comparable..... steel vs. plastic.... G27 are far better.

This is what I wanted to hear. Thx.

Denco
19-08-2015, 17:43
What about the FFB. You told me its stronger but is it any smoother from DFGT?

F1_Racer68
19-08-2015, 18:24
What about the FFB. You told me its stronger but is it any smoother from DFGT?

The wheel is smoother in all aspects. The big difference is not only the type of gearing in the G27 vs. the DFGT, but also the fact that the G27 has 2 motors compared to only 1 in the DFGT. You will definitely feel much more with the G27 than you can with the DFGT.

You will NOT regret it if you make the upgrade. I still have my DFGT. I keep it as an emergency spare and also in the event someone else wants to race locally. I have tried to use it on a second PC for other (older) games, but I just can`t get used to the toy like feel anymore after using my G27.

Denco
19-08-2015, 19:54
I've decided I'll replace it then. Cheers.

resmania
19-08-2015, 20:35
FFB on G27 is fine. I set the Tire Force to 40 to avoid clipping issue.

Denco
26-08-2015, 21:27
Well I got the wheel and I have to say it's a lot better than the DFGT. Thanks for all the advice.

I'm hoping someone can post some good shifting tutorial since I'm trying to get used of the shifter that comes with it.

F1_Racer68
26-08-2015, 23:54
http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving/driving_heeltoe

Start with that.

John Hargreaves
27-08-2015, 07:56
I‘ve just had some major pain getting my G25 to work in a clean install of Windows 10, so it could be equally problematic with the G27. Bottom line logitech‘s win10 driver simply didn‘t work. Do a bit of research first to save yourself the hassle.

I think I finally solved it, but I need to test further to be sure.

Denco
27-08-2015, 11:09

Start with that.

I don't think I'll ever manage that :)

Denco
27-08-2015, 11:32
I think I'll have more luck with double shifting.

F1_Racer68
27-08-2015, 15:51
I‘ve just had some major pain getting my G25 to work in a clean install of Windows 10, so it could be equally problematic with the G27. Bottom line logitech‘s win10 driver simply didn‘t work. Do a bit of research first to save yourself the hassle.

I think I finally solved it, but I need to test further to be sure.

I have had no issue what-so-ever with the G27 under Windows 10. There are 2 things to watch out for:

- Make sure you are using the right version of Logitech Profiler. Use the old one (5.10.xxx) and not the newer one (8.9.xxx). The new one only supports the new G29 wheel.
- Make sure you are not plugged into a USB3.0 port. The wheel does not work correctly on those.

John Hargreaves
27-08-2015, 19:47
Well that‘s good to know, at least the G27 is ok. The 5.10 drivers for me started the wizard, then as it got to me clicking install, it instantly said installation complete, went to a product registration option and closed. Then no further activity, couldn't run the profiler, didn't register as being installed in task manager, and I still had the windows 95 style game controller driver that comes in win10. PCars saw my wheel as a Driving Force PS3 wheel, and the throttle and brake axes were digital; completely on or off, no gradual range of movement. Pretty much undriveable in game.

I tried several different older drivers, 5.02, 5.04, but they were all 32bit. I was beginning to think it was curtains for the old G25, but I managed to track down 5.08 win7 64bit and voila, worked fine, installed ok and works in game.

You gotta love PCs. Although to be fair, when something goes wrong, you do have a fighting chance to fix it yourself given enough time and a good internet connection.

F1_Racer68
27-08-2015, 23:12
Well that‘s good to know, at least the G27 is ok. The 5.10 drivers for me started the wizard, then as it got to me clicking install, it instantly said installation complete, went to a product registration option and closed. Then no further activity, couldn't run the profiler, didn't register as being installed in task manager, and I still had the windows 95 style game controller driver that comes in win10. PCars saw my wheel as a Driving Force PS3 wheel, and the throttle and brake axes were digital; completely on or off, no gradual range of movement. Pretty much undriveable in game.

I tried several different older drivers, 5.02, 5.04, but they were all 32bit. I was beginning to think it was curtains for the old G25, but I managed to track down 5.08 win7 64bit and voila, worked fine, installed ok and works in game.

You gotta love PCs. Although to be fair, when something goes wrong, you do have a fighting chance to fix it yourself given enough time and a good internet connection.

Right click on the installer and select "Run As Administrator". You shouldn't have any issues.

John Hargreaves
27-08-2015, 23:20
Did that, no dice. Ran in various different compatibility modes too. Maybe just one of those odd quirks. I'm not sure how many G25s are still out there, or how many are running on win10. I have a feeling if I'd done the upgrade I might have been ok, but I had to do a clean install and I think that has been the source of my problems. I found the 5.08 logitech driver in a link on the no grip forum from about five years ago I think it was, and it seems to have done the trick.

F1_Racer68
27-08-2015, 23:22
So long as it is working...... that's all that really matters. :D

Denco
29-08-2015, 16:20
So the new replaced G27 is working perfectly no issues. The only thing I noticed is that the clutch has this squeaking noise when I press it. It doesn't bother me very much since I have my headset on, but I can see how it could start bothering other people in my apartment.

Could the problem lie in the spring? Or is this again a broken sample of the G27 that I received.

F1_Racer68
29-08-2015, 17:37
It's most likely the spring, or the plastic sleeve over the spring. My accelerator pedal does it too. If it really bothers you, you could try some silicone spray such as Jig-a-loo. DO NOT use an oil based product such as WD40 as it may damage the plastic.

Denco
29-08-2015, 18:18
Had a closer look. The problem with my clutch is that the plastic sleeve is too close to the plastic outer rim ( if that makes any sense at all ). Is it possible to move the plastic sleeve more inwards?

Kawalsky
05-10-2015, 15:06

Start with that.

I'm the OP of this topic but had to create a new account. After two months of practicing I got a good hang of heeltoe braking. What at first seemed impossible in the end feels very natural to do :)