PDA

View Full Version : Car Handling

Dustin_Ppank
20-08-2015, 07:04
Hey everybody.. I used to play gran turismo 3... and I was so used to the handling of that game. So I decided to go out and buy a PS4 and got Project Cars... why is the handling so different? Is the handling in this game supposed to be more realistic? It seems like the handling for that PS2 game was much better! Does anyone have any opinions on this?

Sankyo
20-08-2015, 07:08
Could you be more specific about what seems wrong? What do you do, what do you expect but what do you see instead? What controller are you using?

danowat
20-08-2015, 07:59
Is the handling in this game supposed to be more realistic?

In a word, yes.

Dutchmountains
20-08-2015, 08:15
Much more realistic then all the Gran Turismo and also Forza.

bobbylion
20-08-2015, 09:00
Realistic as in a high performance racing car made by the finest engineering brains with enough aero to fly if turned the other way up, driving like its planted to the road and not driving on ice then yes....its realistic...

Lagoa
20-08-2015, 09:05
Maybe he just drove some road cars and thought it was crap.. GT is offcourse more about the road cars. But road cars in this game are very difficult. Although I heard it should be better with patch 3.0.. Wouldn't know BECAUSE THE PATCH WON'T RELEASE ON XBOX ONE.

jason
20-08-2015, 09:28
Compared to gt6 this is real handling , race cars do not handle like they do in gt6 but they do handle like they do in pcars .

I have driven a v8 supercar on a track day and they stick like you would not believe until you cook the tyres that is .

bobbylion
20-08-2015, 09:50
Compared to gt6 this is real handling , race cars do not handle like they do in gt6 but they do handle like they do in pcars .

I have driven a v8 supercar on a track day and they stick like you would not believe until you cook the tyres that is .

I've never understood why games make race cars seem undrivable, by there very nature they are designed to be easy to handle, once you get to the limits thats where a driver might just be the difference, untill then its all about the car, look at Hamilton in a Merc and Alonso in the current McLaren.. swap them over and Alonso is WDC and Lewis is bumbling around in 14th.

Andrew Clark
20-08-2015, 13:17
Hey everybody.. I used to play gran turismo 3... and I was so used to the handling of that game. So I decided to go out and buy a PS4 and got Project Cars... why is the handling so different? Is the handling in this game supposed to be more realistic? It seems like the handling for that PS2 game was much better! Does anyone have any opinions on this?

I think it's hit and miss. Some cars are really great and some not so much and others that are okay. The open wheelers are the best followed by most of the prototypes. It gets a little colorful once you dig into to other classes and are where most of the hit and miss takes place GT, Touring and Road

PFalcon
20-08-2015, 13:55
I think it's hit and miss. Some cars are really great and some not so much and others that are okay. The open wheelers are the best followed by most of the prototypes. It gets a little colorful once you dig into to other classes and are where most of the hit and miss takes place GT, Touring and Road

I haven't driven much in the touring and road cars, but I think the GT class cars handle brilliantly in PCars!

Dutchmountains
20-08-2015, 14:27
I have driven Lamborghini Gallardo, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche 911 on a trackday at Zandvoort.

I must say it comes close to reality without exception form the g-force.

The feeling from the ffb is quit real as it is in real life also the car handling.

Beatminister
20-08-2015, 14:54
I think many of our cars are rather forgiving, with a few exceptions. The vintage NASCAR for example is so easy, compared to old sims I drove on. On ovals they worked fine - with a good setup - but on road tracks they were a pest. The "Caper" you can drive like a rally car, even with the default setup.
The only newer console racer I can speak about is N4S, and the cars in there have no handling at all. They just float around like hovercrafts. After using PCars, I just cannot play that anymore - I keep bumping from one wall into the next.

amitlr
20-08-2015, 15:29
I played GT games from GT2, and the jump you made is rather huge.
Physics wise , there was a big leap from GT3 --> GT5 on the PS3. While GT6 offer better physics than GT5 , its still not that different than GT5.
You would probably think GT6 is "harder", physics wise to GT3 if you played it, as it is more realistic.
I heard a lot about the PS3 processing limitation when it comes to complex physics together with good graphics and FPS. We will have to wait and see if GT7 will prove that statement correct,
As the GT games, IMO, are showing their age due to old HW. Its still not fair to compare any of them to current games.
Pcars is a completely different ball game than GT and Forza.
These 2 Games put more emphasis on the cars themselves, the joy of owning them, beating your challenges, earning game credit and trophies.
Pcars is all about the driving, the immersion. Its not "harder" , its just want to present you with the truth. Nothing more.

Dustin_Ppank
20-08-2015, 20:10
lol...cool.. thanks, man... that helps... I'm glad I got so many replies.. I"m about to go to work, but I will try to reply to all of these when I get off... this is awesome... so are you for replying! I have a lot to say about this topic!

John Hargreaves
20-08-2015, 20:45
For me it comes down to spending lots of time on one car (and they are all pretty good tbh) so that you can really appreciate the depth that has gone into this game. Try lots of different ones to begin with to get a feel as to the type you like, but then take one that you are drawn to and try it out on different tracks at different times and weather conditions, time trials and races.
I reckon if you do that you will start to appreciate just how good the handling is because you start to really sense what all the parts of the car are doing. Also, if you get chance, try it with a decent wheel.
Don‘t forget to check out the older cars like the M1 and Capri, there are some real gems in there.

hkraft300
21-08-2015, 02:49
Too right Mr Hargreaves.
I've just spent a few races in the Formula C yesterday and, yes, it's yet another car I want to race for hours on end... Damn you SMS!
And a 26 lap race in the wet at Nur Sprint in RuF GT3 last night omg...

It really depends what you want. My mate likes his arcade bash around racers like NfS and GT but is a decent driver in real life. Won't touch pCars because he's into road cars and sim racing like doesn't interest him.

You want simulation and realistic handling from the cars in a driving game, and don't have a fancy PC+ peripherals - pCars is currently your only option.

Dustin_Ppank
21-08-2015, 03:19
thanks for responding, bro! I am on PS4 and using the PS4's dual shock controller. In GT3-Aspec, I remembering being able to drift around most of the corners.. not all of them, and you had to slow down for many 0f them too, but in Project Cars If I try that, I just shoot right off the track with no tire slide and into the dirt. I would have felt comfortable playing anyone in the world on GT3, but in Project Cars i am barely above average if that.. I guess I just expected the handling to be more like the early GT games but with better graphics... but I guess this is actually more realistic? Surprising how it handles is all...

Dustin_Ppank
21-08-2015, 03:29
Hey, bro! thank you so much for responding! It sounds like you know exactly what I'm talking about! yes! You're right, bro! It feels like the jump I made was almost TOO much, but obviously I love racing games. It's funny, i actually really enjoy the kart racing on project cars, because it is the mode that reminds me the most of the handling from the early GT games. And you are right, I do find project cars racing "harder" because of the way the cars handle. So in your opinion, compared to GT and Forza (which I like too), Project CArs is a more truthful presentation of a car's handling for racing?

Dustin_Ppank
21-08-2015, 03:35
Hey, bro! thank you so much for responding! It sounds like you know exactly what I'm talking about! yes! You're right, bro! It feels like the jump I made was almost TOO much, but obviously I love racing games. It's funny, i actually really enjoy the kart racing on project cars, because it is the mode that reminds me the most of the handling from the early GT games. And you are right, I do find project cars racing "harder" because of the way the cars handle. So in your opinion, compared to GT and Forza (which I like too), Project CArs is a more truthful presentation of a car's handling for racing?

TheReaper GT
21-08-2015, 04:24

It is. Watch a GT3 race on youtube, pay attention to the breaking points, replicate this on game and you are gold. :D

aerchak
21-08-2015, 04:45
The biggest difference between pCars and GT or Forza is you get an actual feeling of friction and stability when driving. Cars like the P1 and Hypersport are kind of a different beast, since they're comparatively heavy and you can't run them on slicks.

The best way to explain is that Forza and GT are about car culture. You collect cars, personalize them, and go flog the hell out of them.

pCars is about racing culture. You take a precision machine and wring every possible bit of potential out of it. Tenths and hundredths of seconds matter. It's the only game I've ever played where I'll spend hours trying to shave a little bit more off of a lap time. Never did that in Forza, because it's just so damned hard to run consistent laps. It's like it's not designed to be as precise.

Sir Digby Chicken Caesar
21-08-2015, 04:59
Just considering the AI in games like Forza (4 is the one I played) and Driveclub, it's laughable to think of them as good race drivers. Those games make it a question of how many slow cars you can pass in a few minutes. In sim games like PCars and others, qualifying well is typically difficult, as well as gaining and not losing positions in a race.

(It's also difficult to get them to not crash into you if you undercut them, but that's another story.)

hkraft300
21-08-2015, 05:22
Do the career mode and work your way up from the karts. going in the slower stuff will help you learn car dynamics because it all happens a little slower. Formula A or LMP cars spin in a split second so it's hard to see where you're going wrong. Read articles and watch videos on racing, driving techniques, vehicle dynamics etc to get a better understanding of what racing cars do, and what your car is doing.
Ask questions and search this forum. It'll help you a long way towards being competitive and enjoying this game. A big part of the enjoyment of this game (and why I think some don't enjoy it as much) is understanding it. Why it is the way it is.
Eg GT3 brakes not working above 700C but LMP brakes not working until 700C (exaggerating). Then I found out that Gt3 cars use steel brakes, but I wrongly thought every modern race car uses carbon brakes.

Ps I'd recommend starting with ABs and TC for assists but not SC.

aerchak
21-08-2015, 05:46
I think the idea of essentially learning what the car can and cannot do is probably the most important part.

And each car is very different, too. It's not like other racing games where anything rear wheel drive handles corners like a Hennessy Venom GT.

bobbylion
21-08-2015, 06:55
Classic case in point for me was the Renault 92 turbo F1 car, first time out in Historic career championship i mashed the pedal and it spat me out all over the place..then bit of warmth into tyres and and i was able to work it out and blend the throttle and eventually able to use the slicks and the 'aero' and actually you can chuck it around and do some crazy stuff in it... once you get it and hook it all up its a wonderful feeling as you know full well if you just mash that pedal again your off, one of my best ever gaming experiences is driving that Renault 92...

These race cars are engineering masterpieces, even a Marussia to us would seem out of this world, compared to a Red Bull its pants, but still a Marussia is a high end bit of kit... i know its a game, but this is pretty close to how these things should behave..thats why i'm willing to forgive the issues and bugs and general strange way SMS go about their business...

Andrew Clark
29-08-2015, 19:46
I haven't driven much in the touring and road cars, but I think the GT class cars handle brilliantly in PCars!

Sure there is but there are also cars to be worked on and it may even differ as to the fall off rate of the tires during heat and wear cycle The Historic Trans Am Mustang starts to develop uncharacteristic grip issues 4-5 laps into a run and the Historic Ford GT40 Mk4 could use some care as well. I tried a race with the Ginetta GT3 and at the start of the race it was like the car was on ice? I had come to love the car and don't remember it being so icy?

Also I found that on the Radical SR8 after a few laps with some tire heat that the handling got a little uncharacteristic for a HDF car becoming too slidey? I still think a few of the Tire options are still WIP

DECATUR PLAYA
30-08-2015, 02:15
Learn how to make the car dance brother and you will be fine.

The more time you spend with the car the better the game gets. I got 200 hours logged over 456 online races and sometimes it feels that I'm just starting to understand the game. Through this game you understand why driving is a talent and as you develop this talent the game only gets more fun. Every car on the game is a completely different experience. There aren't 2 cars on the game that even come close to driving alike.

My approach was one car one track and a lap time. The more you understand that one car then the more you will understand every car in the game. The more you feel one car the more you will feel the differences in each car.

Andrew Clark
30-08-2015, 18:21
Learn how to make the car dance brother and you will be fine.

The more time you spend with the car the better the game gets. I got 200 hours logged over 456 online races and sometimes it feels that I'm just starting to understand the game. Through this game you understand why driving is a talent and as you develop this talent the game only gets more fun. Every car on the game is a completely different experience. There aren't 2 cars on the game that even come close to driving alike.

My approach was one car one track and a lap time. The more you understand that one car then the more you will understand every car in the game. The more you feel one car the more you will feel the differences in each car.

I have been with this project since 10-2011 and have seen the changes it has endured along the way while the bigger percentage of the cars I am quite happy with there are a few I still think need some work and who's to say for what reason as we have found that bugs or other issues may be isolated to certain hardware specs where it concerns PC. So there may be a bug in the heating and wear characteristics in some of the tires available. Remember Tires are the hardest thing to develop for a racing game so I've heard and we have many to choose from more then what other developers are doing so it would be hard to believe all of them are in a perfect state. It's an ongoing process.

DECATUR PLAYA
31-08-2015, 02:11
I have been with this project since 10-2011 and have seen the changes it has endured along the way while the bigger percentage of the cars I am quite happy with there are a few I still think need some work and who's to say for what reason as we have found that bugs or other issues may be isolated to certain hardware specs where it concerns PC. So there may be a bug in the heating and wear characteristics in some of the tires available. Remember Tires are the hardest thing to develop for a racing game so I've heard and we have many to choose from more then what other developers are doing so it would be hard to believe all of them are in a perfect state. It's an ongoing process.

I think the cars and tire physics are great. I was just speaking to feeling the car as a tuner that's spent a lot of time on select cars. Just when you got the car figured you find a new combination which changes the entire setup.

AdM1
31-08-2015, 02:41
The thing with this game is the controller configuration can make a huge difference, obviously the physics are the same but the response and interaction changes can make a big difference, some peoples controller configurations I tried in the past I didn't like at all.

hkraft300
31-08-2015, 03:20
The thing with this game is the controller configuration can make a huge difference, obviously the physics are the same but the response and interaction changes can make a big difference, some peoples controller configurations I tried in the past I didn't like at all.

That's a big thing I think many people are getting wrong. If your input and feedback technique/settings are wrong in this game it greatly varies the experience. Being the level of sim this game is, a high degree input accuracy/flexibility is required that is generally provided by FFB wheels and can be achieved with a controller with the correct settings.
I've seen many people stick bashing/flicking online, eg going down a straight to adjust their line they flick the stick full to the left/right so you see the wheels turn full lock for a split second - that's bad controller skills. If you watch cockpit cam of a race car driver they're smooth on the wheel, with an occasional flick of opposite lock to catch a momentary slide. Gotta be smooth with the stick just like you would with a wheel.

DECATUR PLAYA
31-08-2015, 05:53

This is huge. Controller settings are key. I think a lot of people get hung up on configuring the sensitivity of the stick. The braking and throttle sensitivity is just as important for your driving style. The speed sensitivity and controller filtering also do a lot for the experience as well. I use one balanced setup. Some of the default setups on some cars will have you thinking your controller settings are screwy when in reality the setup may not fit your driving style. Some setup just flat out need a tune.

hkraft300
31-08-2015, 07:00
Agree with controller settings comments.
But car setup I make changes according to car/track

bobbylion
31-08-2015, 11:44

Its not that utter tripe Gran Turdrismo arcade racing, hence why you can't cope..

AdM1
31-08-2015, 15:30
That's a big thing I think many people are getting wrong. If your input and feedback technique/settings are wrong in this game it greatly varies the experience. Being the level of sim this game is, a high degree input accuracy/flexibility is required that is generally provided by FFB wheels and can be achieved with a controller with the correct settings.
I've seen many people stick bashing/flicking online, eg going down a straight to adjust their line they flick the stick full to the left/right so you see the wheels turn full lock for a split second - that's bad controller skills. If you watch cockpit cam of a race car driver they're smooth on the wheel, with an occasional flick of opposite lock to catch a momentary slide. Gotta be smooth with the stick just like you would with a wheel.

Oh I'm a tapper on the analogue, seems to work well for me. I don't think smooth inputs are really possible on a controller analogue stick imo. It's too difficult to make accurate steering angles with the little movement you have. I guess everyone plays differently though. Having the filtering sensitivity too low causes a lot of the straight line inputs I found, the car was very floaty at 0 so was always tapping it to stay straight but now set at 30 I don't make many straight line adjustments.

Knightfall
31-08-2015, 15:40
This is huge. Controller settings are key. I think a lot of people get hung up on configuring the sensitivity of the stick. The braking and throttle sensitivity is just as important for your driving style. The speed sensitivity and controller filtering also do a lot for the experience as well. I use one balanced setup. Some of the default setups on some cars will have you thinking your controller settings are screwy when in reality the setup may not fit your driving style. Some setup just flat out need a tune.

+1. I simply couldn't race with Formula cars at all until I had the throttle sensitivity tuned properly for the controller.

John Hargreaves
31-08-2015, 15:54
Its not that utter tripe Gran Turdrismo arcade racing, hence why you can't cope..

Although I much prefer pCars, the GT series has provided plenty of enjoyment over the years and, although perhaps not perfect I‘ll give you that, I think they have always brought out something worthwhile in each instalment and deserve respect for doing so. As for the OP I‘m sure it‘s a matter of refining the basic skills developed from playing GT and then taking into account the extra layers of subtlety that pCars gives us and building on what he has done before.

JudgeNutmeg
31-08-2015, 16:08
Just wondering if any of you using the DS4 have tried using motion control instead of anaolgue stick for steering. i thought at first it might be a gimmick but it is so well implemented in Project Cars that after spending 10-15 minutes getting to used to it, I have been using it ever since they intoduced it in patch 2. I could not not go back to analogue stick steering at all. With the motion control you have much finer control and can hold a line through bends without having to continually nudge the stick. It also makes the game "feel better" IMO, obviously not like a wheel but gives that bit of extra immersion. It becomes part of you after a while. you don't have to hold it right out in front of you at arms length just use it as a new analogue input method.

Give it a try ( but spend a session getting used to it before dismissing it)

DECATUR PLAYA
31-08-2015, 18:20
Just wondering if any of you using the DS4 have tried using motion control instead of anaolgue stick for steering. i thought at first it might be a gimmick but it is so well implemented in Project Cars that after spending 10-15 minutes getting to used to it, I have been using it ever since they intoduced it in patch 2. I could not not go back to analogue stick steering at all. With the motion control you have much finer control and can hold a line through bends without having to continually nudge the stick. It also makes the game "feel better" IMO, obviously not like a wheel but gives that bit of extra immersion. It becomes part of you after a while. you don't have to hold it right out in front of you at arms length just use it as a new analogue input method.

Give it a try ( but spend a session getting used to it before dismissing it)

I have gotten really used to the stick but I will give it a try. I had a buddy on my old Nascar games that used to fight me all around the track. I asked him one day how he drove the car and he told me he drove this way I couldn't believe it but he said that's how he has been driving for years. This proves that the input method really doesn't matter but how you see the track and then how you get the car through the track does.

Andrew Clark
01-09-2015, 12:53

Not a very nice reply to a completely legitimate question. A better reply would be to ask what types of things he bases his opinion on? Sounds like he learned on Gran Turismo 3 and pCARS is different for him since he has already created a mindset on how this should be. I still to this day like the titles I started on better then what's offered today as those were the titles I created my belief system with regards to racing games on. The 3 titles I learned on are NT 2004, GTR2, and GTL and I still enjoy those more then anything else.

bobbylion
01-09-2015, 12:57
Not a very nice reply to a completely legitimate question. A better reply would be to ask what types of things he bases his opinion on? Sounds like he learned on Gran Turismo 3 and pCARS is different for him since he has already created a mindset on how this should be. I still to this day like the titles I started on better then what's offered today as those were the titles I created my belief system with regards to racing games on. The 3 titles I learned on are NT 2004, GTR2, and GTL and I still enjoy those more then anything else.

Gran Turdrismo is a painfully dull game, PCars walks all over it, its an arcade car collecting game.

kackle85
01-09-2015, 13:01
As someone who has put hundreds if not thousands of hours into the Gran Turismo series I have to say that Project Cars is far superior. It is awkward at first because it is so different but in the long run I think it's a much more challenging and rewarding experience.

Silraed
01-09-2015, 13:23
Gran Turrismo is a painfully dull game, PCars walks all over it, its an arcade car collecting game.

I am not disagreeing with you, although for what they are they do provide some level of enjoyment if you have an open mind. But your "hence why you can't cope.." comment was incredibly condescending and uncalled for.

Try to keep things civil and if you find somebody with a different opinion or who you view of a lower intelligence then try and enlighten them and educate them, not bully.