PDA

View Full Version : Do we have access to tuning menu in pits or pause menu yet?

Ripgroove
20-08-2015, 08:42
As above, not home currently but wondering if we have been given access to the tuning/setup menu from either the pits or pause menu on either free practice or time trial yet? Shortly after release I got put off from tuning due to having to keep leaving the track completely to go to the tuning menu, then after making each tiny tweak I'd have to keep going back to free practice again and keep so another few laps to warm everything up then keep repeating the whole process over and over for every little tweak. This was REALLY time consuming so I gave up. I want to get back in to tuning but not if we still have the old slow method of doing so.

Ideally you would warm the car up on free practice then either pause the game or go to pits to make car tweaks then carry straight on with the new tweaks with the tyers staying warm. This would speed up tuning tremendously and give me and probably many other people more incentive to tune cars. Think about every car and track combination that ideally need tuning for, it would take an age to get all that done.

Bealdor
20-08-2015, 08:43
You could always access the car tuning setup in Free Practice mode but not in Time Trial.

Ripgroove
20-08-2015, 09:05
Really? I must have missed that surely? Do the tyres stay warm after tweaking?

EDIT/ see post #7

Bealdor
20-08-2015, 09:15
Really? I must have missed that surely? Do the tyres stay warm after tweaking?

Only on those cars that are using tire warmers.

There's an "Edit Tuning Setup" button available when you're in the pits during FP.

choupolo
20-08-2015, 09:27
I'm still waiting for tuning from within time trials and community events too. Still resorting to leaving the event, tuning in main garage menu and then restarting event for every small change. Tedious.

Free practice tuning is possible, but either the car doesn't use tyre warmers requiring an equally long warm up, or the behaviour of the car is different compared to TTs making all hard work meaningless.

+1 for bumping up tuning within a TT pit menu for the next patch! :D

Ripgroove
20-08-2015, 09:35
I'm still waiting for tuning from within time trials and community events too. Still resorting to leaving the event, tuning in main garage menu and then restarting event for every small change. Tedious.

Free practice tuning is possible, but either the car doesn't use tyre warmers requiring an equally long warm up, or the behaviour of the car is different compared to TTs making all hard work meaningless.

Ah yes that might have been it, I know there was something that really didn't add up when tuning.

Ripgroove
20-08-2015, 10:42
I remember now, my telemetry was varying quite a lot between free practice and time trial and it turned out that the track conditions were actually different when they "should" be the same. TT's start with a rubbered track, less fuel in the car, warm tyres and probably a certain track temp where free practice has a non rubbered track, more fuel on board, cold tyres and a certain track temp.

Most of those variables can be worked around but the track being pre rubbered was the one that was getting me. There is currently no way in this game to tune a car to perfectly match the TT conditions due to the grip level on the track. It may sound trivial to some but tuning the cars suspension geometry to get even tyre temps across all 4 tyres is absolutely key to a good tune. I was doing this in free practice only to find temps were uneven and also higher or lower when competing in a TT.

That is why I originally requested access to the tuning menu via the pause menu or the pits in TT, and obviously this hasn't yet been done for whatever reason? Surely a simple game menu tweak would accomplish this?

EMW Simmo
20-08-2015, 12:18

Tuning from pause in TT or just in general would open up a whole new world in cheating lol.....but yeah in free practice it would be great, or at least keep the tyres warm, because doing 2 laps with an adjusted tune just to get the tyres warm, only to find out its worse is annoying, also ghosts would be a huge benefit for best in session.
I find it quicker to hit timetrial, set a few laps, back out, change a few things, back in against my ghost n so on until you find the optimum setup.

Ripgroove
20-08-2015, 12:29
How would it help cheating? Opening the pause menu or pulling in to the pits would just invalidate your lap time. Or failing that just have TT preset in Free Practice which sets the track conditions to the same as TT but just doesn't upload lap times, or just make a new mode called TT tuning, there are plenty of ways around it.

Ripgroove
20-08-2015, 13:04
I believe in Forza's TT equivalent as soon as you paused the game your lap time was invalidated, simple.

choupolo
20-08-2015, 13:48
Tuning from pause in TT or just in general would open up a whole new world in cheating lol.....but yeah in free practice it would be great, or at least keep the tyres warm, because doing 2 laps with an adjusted tune just to get the tyres warm, only to find out its worse is annoying, also ghosts would be a huge benefit for best in session.
I find it quicker to hit timetrial, set a few laps, back out, change a few things, back in against my ghost n so on until you find the optimum setup.

We don't want anything that isn't already possible right now (i.e. backing out of TT to tune in the garage) just to make it much easier. The easiest way would be simply to unlock the option to return to pits from the pause menu so we can access tuning there without quitting, same as free practice.

Ripgroove
20-08-2015, 14:10
And if possible to also keep the tyres warm while in the pits as having to do 5+ laps after every little tweak is just a waste of everyone's time.

EMW Simmo
20-08-2015, 14:18
I dont get your point, its called driving into the pits/returning in free practice/setup your own online practice...
Afterall you wanted realism n now you want to hit pause n adjust your setup, then carry on driving ?
Hows that going to work when you have just adjusted many different parts whilst driving around, the setup needs to be saved and then the session restarted.
Yeah you can press start/return to the pits and adjust your setup on TT but it would dirty your lap or you would then need to do another start lap anyway, so infact its prob much quicker to just exit/adjust/return anyway.
Everything needs to be locked in TT due to the fact where theres a will theres always a way to find somekind of exploit.
But i mean come on it takes literally 2 secs to exit n return.

EMW Simmo
20-08-2015, 14:25
And if possible to also keep the tyres warm while in the pits as having to do 5+ laps after every little tweak is just a waste of everyone's time.

You dont need to do 5 laps, just go on TT set the ghost to best in session and all the tyres/brakes/track etc will be optimum, do 2 flying laps for example, set your best time, back out adjust what you need/want/save, then return, do the same again n again until eventually you end up with a good fast setup, easy as that.

Ripgroove
20-08-2015, 14:28
I never said I wanted realism. And anyway, Forza manages this with a much much better system. You practice, you pause, you tweak, you carry on. Done.

Yes many people want ultra realism but it gets to a point where it's silly, this is a game, not real life. Life is too short to be sitting here doing many many laps just to warm tyres up just so some people can sit at home and be all "wow I enjoy this realism". The GAME needs to be functional as well as enjoyable and as I said, me sat here just driving around in circles to warm tyres up over and over and over and over is just a waste of time, I get no benefit and the devs get no benefit so at a that point, what is the point?

Ripgroove
20-08-2015, 14:31
If PCars wants to lean towards realism then why not just allow pulling in to the pits during TT, and tweak the setup with "tyre warmers" on, then just pull out and carry on? This is how it's done IRL, running a race car around a track costs money, so why on earth would they not put tyre warmers on while in the pits making tweaks to the car?! Of course they would as just running laps to heat the tyres is like throwing money away!

EMW Simmo
20-08-2015, 14:37
What point of not needing to drive around warming your tyres up dont you understand, if you read my post you would have seen the solution i provided for you.
Next you will be wanting rewind...

Ripgroove
20-08-2015, 14:41
What point of not needing to drive around warming your tyres up dont you understand, if you read my post you would have seen the solution i provided for you.
Next you will be wanting rewind...

I already know about that method but again it's clumsy, you are backing out of the session just to access a menu that could be built in to be accessed from within TT. This becomes EXTREMELY tedious when making any small tweaks individually to get a perfect tune. Why defend and argue against something would not affect your life or gameplay experience at all? Adding this feature would benefit a lot of people and in no way have an impact on anyone else, all it would do is speed up the tuning process. Would you rather spend an hour tuning a car or 3hours tuning a car? For anyone that actually has a life outside of video games the simple answer would be 1 hr, end of. Who wants to work 8hrs a day just to come home and drive around in circles for 3hrs for no reason? There simply is not enough time in the world to be able to tune every car and track combination in this game and have a life with the current "workarounds", reducing the tuning time would have no negative impact to anybody at all. It's obvious by your childish remark about rewind that you are clearly just here to bait and argue so if you want carry on arguing you can do it on your own.

Ripgroove
20-08-2015, 15:03
Anyway your method is completely flawed as when you do a TT your tyres are warmed to a set temp so you'd have to do 5 laps at least to get them to equalise to what they should actually be based on your suspension geometry. Starting a free practice and warming them up is the same as starting a TT with them warmed to a certain temp than having to keep lapping to let them settle. TBH I don't think you really grasp the whole idea of tuning suspension geometry in order to eve out tyre temps and keeping the tyre at optimum temp to maximise grip levels. If you did you would clearly understand the need for making many multiple small adjustments and testing after every single one and the massive annoyance it is to keep having to get the tyres up to temp agin in between each tweak. We're not talking big simple changes to the cars setup, we are talking about adjust the tyre pressure on any given wheel by 0.1bar at a time then testing, then adjusting it or another tyre again by another 0.1bar then doing the whole thing for each and every setting on the car, damping, rebound, spring rates, ride heights etc etc etc etc.

EMW Simmo
20-08-2015, 15:33
What in TT yours tyres are set to optimum temp so surely tuning this way would be better...
I dont have 8 hours a day, im just using my noggin to get the best out of the setup situation.
You can access all of the features mentioned in this post already anyway, apart from the pause method/keep the tyres warm, which i agreed on would be a good asset in free practice.
Im sure tuning your car for TT would only benefit you, if tuned in TT itself, as for racing/endurance i setup in free practice with full fuel n set the brakes and radiator accordingly, thats my theory anyway.

Ripgroove
20-08-2015, 15:52
The problem is when you start a TT your tyres will be at say 210, but after a few laps they will each settle to a certain temp that is governed by your suspension settings, so lap 1 of your TT you will have optimum tyre temps but lap after lap your temps will start to raise or lower and more than likely unevenly which leads to an uneven amount of grip which changes the way the car handles. The key is getting your suspension setup so that on a certain track your tyres are all say 200 across the whole width of the tyre by letting your suspension settings archive that, having the tyre warmers instantly warm your tyres to 200 or whatever doesn't actually help as you are artificially getting them to temp and inevitably they will normalise to match your suspension geometry. The only thing that would help this situation is for you to pull in to the pits make your tweaks and pull out again while the game keeps your tyre temps.

EMW Simmo
20-08-2015, 16:04
Yeah thats true, thats why i adjust my tyre temps and tune to match the say 210 optimum, whether its the 1st or 30th lap...
But equally setting your car up for TT, in say free practice with random conditions and a non rubbered in track is also pointless.

choupolo
20-08-2015, 16:53
I dont get your point, its called driving into the pits/returning in free practice/setup your own online practice...
Afterall you wanted realism n now you want to hit pause n adjust your setup, then carry on driving ?
Hows that going to work when you have just adjusted many different parts whilst driving around, the setup needs to be saved and then the session restarted.
Yeah you can press start/return to the pits and adjust your setup on TT but it would dirty your lap or you would then need to do another start lap anyway, so infact its prob much quicker to just exit/adjust/return anyway.
Everything needs to be locked in TT due to the fact where theres a will theres always a way to find somekind of exploit.
But i mean come on it takes literally 2 secs to exit n return.

How long does it take for you to exit/adjust/return Simmo? On PS4 the loading screens take forever so one cycle to change a tyre pressure by one click might take over 10 minutes when it could have taken 2 minutes.

In TT it wouldn't add any new avenue for exploitation to be able to pause/return to pits/tune/restart on a hotlap. It's the same thing as what we have now, just without the 10 minute load cycle.

Ripgroove
20-08-2015, 17:46
How long does it take for you to exit/adjust/return Simmo? On PS4 the loading screens take forever so one cycle to change a tyre pressure by one click might take over 10 minutes when it could have taken 2 minutes.

In TT it wouldn't add any new avenue for exploitation to be able to pause/return to pits/tune/restart on a hotlap. It's the same thing as what we have now, just without the 10 minute load cycle.
We have a winner! Someone else actually understands.

wearymick
20-08-2015, 23:04
I've gotten used to it. I always tune in TT but yeah, having to exit out and return through the loading screens is a bit of a pita and works against getting a fine balance with the setup. Tyre warmers in practice mode would be a great idea, but they would still be costing you at least an out lap while the tyres resettle to their running temps. We've all been spoiled by pop up tuning menus in pause screens I guess.

Ripgroove
21-08-2015, 04:24
I've gotten used to it. I always tune in TT but yeah, having to exit out and return through the loading screens is a bit of a pita and works against getting a fine balance with the setup. Tyre warmers in practice mode would be a great idea, but they would still be costing you at least an out lap while the tyres resettle to their running temps. We've all been spoiled by pop up tuning menus in pause screens I guess.

I'd much rather run a couple of out laps to stabilise temps rather then 5+ laps

Deadzone
22-08-2015, 02:03
What I do to match the track conditions in TT is set up a Quick race weekend with no opponents, set warm up to 90 mins, no qualifying or practice.
The track conditions in the warmup session seem similar to TT with a more rubbered in track than you get in free practice.

You still have the issue of warming up your tires if they don't use warmers, but it's easier to tune to similar conditions as in TT.