PDA

View Full Version : Taking The No Line Plunge!

oneBIGkicker
20-08-2015, 13:34
Wish me luck. Been running with racing line on for 4 yrs. But with the completely wrong Racing Line in Pcars, tells you too break way too soon, I decided it was time to turn it off. Never noticed how ugly racing line is, or just never admitted it to myself. Once I turn it off track looks so much better!

Two nights of racing so far with no line, mixed results.
1st night Ran some practice for upcoming league event. Was able to match my Line-On pace pretty easily.
Last night, ran a bit of MP, Was able to keep pace but too often I missed breaking point and went off track, Once I had enough laps in I was OK.
I need to get a bit better in the hard breaking zones, Need to make sure I pick a marker for these and work it out from there. Seems lighter breaking zones I really don’t need to see a mark, I can just tell when I need to break by watching the corner come up.
I really do not want to have to have a breaking mark for every turn on every track, just the hard breaking zone turns.

Am I off base thinking this way? Pick point for hard braking, Eye up corner on lighter breaking.

PCars has made me, Turn off TCS, Buy a Wheel and to Turn off Line. Love it!

KkDrummer
20-08-2015, 13:59
You are spot on! just take your time, learn the tracks (they are many in PCars!!!) and find your breaking points, you will never go back to racing line!
you will probably get to the point that you don;t check breaking points as often at certain tracks/corners..you will just get the feel for it.

OpticalHercules
20-08-2015, 14:03
The game really is so much more immersive without the line. the ONLY use I have for a line is racing endurance races, since if you manage to wreck your headlights while it's night and the pit doesn't repair them (coming soon), it will at least let you hang on through the night portion, maybe lose a few positions, but then be able to recover once dawn comes.

Pay attention to the black tire marks on the roads leading up to corners. Many of them are still too long making for early braking, and some are a little too short in my opinion (T1 Laguna Seca, and the hard right after Eau Rouge/Radillion straight on Spa), but they will give you a very good general idea of where you should be braking, and also help with your corner approaches as well.

It took me a good two weeks or so to get competitive without the line after using it through Forza 5 and for the first few weeks of PCars, but without the line I found I learned new tracks much more rapidly. I also found it much easier to deal with an opponent who would usually screw you off a line into a corner. Without the line you learn what to do, when to brake early when off the line and when you can stuff someone else in a corner when battling for position.

I hope you come to enjoy it. I know I did.

ElectricBlues85
20-08-2015, 14:07
I think the main challenge with no line is when you're in public MP lobbies that don't have a practice/quali session before the race. If I end up with a track/car combination I'm not used to I usually find space to let everyone else fly into the first corner and find my way from there.

In time you will probably become faster without it. It messes with the mind when you are away from line and the line is red. You'll be better off without the distraction.

FWIW, I seem to remember a post form Ian Bell ages ago stating the racing line isn't optimum and the breaking points are almost always earlier than needed. It's designed to help the less experience player get around the track - not set WR times :)

Good luck!

Lagoa
20-08-2015, 14:30
weird, also played years with the line. It took me 2 days to get used to it

Im Sorry
20-08-2015, 14:38
I found the line hopeless in this game.Braking points all wrong.After a day you will wonder why you used it.

Schnizz58
20-08-2015, 14:53
I agree with everything in this thread. I am playing without the line too and I'm finding it much more immersive and enjoyable. It does take some getting used to but what I have been doing is start off with some slower cars and work up from there.

I also agree that the line is too conservative (by design). One example is the old hairpin at Donington. The line turns red almost halfway back to the previous corner but in reality you can brake much later than that and in some cars you can almost get by with just a lift.

Marrrfooo
20-08-2015, 15:25
The racing is more immersive without the line but crucially it forces you to become a more instinctive driver (racer). That is worth its weight in gold, in my opinion.

It enables you to race circuits you might not be very familiar with but be able to judge roughly what sort of speed/gear you think you should be aiming for through a corner. You won't get it right necessarily first time, but it's better than relying on something that is not actually attuned to the way you drive (race) the car.

This, in turn, makes you a safer driver - especially in traffic. Rather than look through traffic for the line, you'll look along the circuit, see the traffic in front, know the corner is coming - but importantly realise that with more than a single car in front of you, easing into a corner and losing a tenth here or there is more valuable than tagging someone and losing places in a spin or worse. Lots of people lose time when racing in packs. The sooner you accept that and develop the patience to pick your passes in those circumstances, the greater your survivability in races gets (nutters losing the plot mid-pack not withstanding).

Finding braking 'markers' on the circuits is part of racecraft. Some of the circuits you are less familiar with are easier to work with when you can establish physical braking markers. And even on circuits you do know well, the biggest advantage to low speed corners is knowing where your braking marker is. If you know that, for example, the left hander after the long straight after Ea Rouge @ Spa has two white markers on the left side wall. In most GT3's with fresh tyres you can brake between those two white lines and make the turn. Later on when the car is lighter on fuel you can push to that second marker and begin braking there and get away with it. When the tyres wear, you know you need to start looking toward the first marker. It's even more useful for out-braking others. If you know where you think he/she'll brake, you can take a calculated risk on how far you choose to try and out-brake them by. It might work, it might not - but being calculated, it's better than the first corner over-shoots that are so common. :)

Not that I want to teach anyone to suck eggs. :)

Apoc112
20-08-2015, 15:43
I generally race with no line but I did have it on for a bit just to help learn the tracks. I found the line in pcars to be ok for the slower road cars, but horribly slow for most other cars, with braking zones that started as much as 50m too early. You'll be happy with your choice to leave it behind once you get used to it!

Dynomight Motorsports
20-08-2015, 22:42
You will thank yourself in the long run. If you are serious about racing.. you run a crap load of practice laps. There's only a handful of people out there that can just jump in a car and be fast. The rest of us mortals have to do this thing called Practice. Usually why its an option up to 90 mins each session. Try to learn the track before adjusting the car beyond commons sense adjustments just for driveability. With the racing line on, you never really learn the track. You can still use the racing line (Dark area's of Rubber build-up) on the track to hit your braking points and use your transmission to slow down and control your speed through the corners. When I learn a track I may put 50-100 laps in for a 25-30 lap race. That track will be come muscle memory, each corner has a specific gear and braking point. You should be able to drive a whole lap in your mind, just visualizing every corner and braking spot. Then you will be so much faster and have the confidence to boot.

Innerspace_HQ
20-08-2015, 22:49
Good on you. You wont look back... After learning some tracks you're much faster without the distraction of a luminous racing line. It's only any use for tracks you don't know, soon as you know where you're going, re-learn your own lines and braking points. It's so much more rewarding.

STEELJOCKEY
20-08-2015, 23:26
Best way to improve your racing is to turn the line off, and all assists off. It's a bit hard to start with, but you learn better car driving skills and gain more track knowledge.

Have you ever seen a real live track with a line on it guiding you around the race line, and where to brake?

Lots of clues are out there already, finding some can be difficult. Brake markers on the side of the track, further away on track barriers, a tree or portable toilet block, scrub marks on the road. Following others can give you an idea where they are braking and help you find your own marks, and tyre scrub make on the road can show you where the racing line roughly is.

Great to see you taking the plunge, guaranteed you'll enjoy the game so much more, and be quicker because of it.

Innerspace_HQ
20-08-2015, 23:39
Best way to improve your racing is to turn the line off, and all assists off.

Isn't real assists probably a more useful way of doing things? I know it's been chewed over ad nauseam but I'm of the belief if the real car has it switched on, then use it. If it doesn't, then don't.

Spot on with the markers though, it's funny how you completely change where you look on track when approaching a corner without the line... from straight ahead at the corner to the side of the track looking for your braking cue.

leithnow
21-08-2015, 00:38
I hate the line. Take the track slow at first and learn it gradually getting faster. I wonder why in game so insistent on not having a rewind, they even put a racing line in...

Schnizz58
21-08-2015, 00:43
Isn't real assists probably a more useful way of doing things? I know it's been chewed over ad nauseam but I'm of the belief if the real car has it switched on, then use it. If it doesn't, then don't.
That's kind of the way I see it. In most games you're faster without the assists but in this one I think you can be a bit faster using them. I don't mind turning them off if necessary though.

Spot on with the markers though, it's funny how you completely change where you look on track when approaching a corner without the line... from straight ahead at the corner to the side of the track looking for your braking cue.
Yeah absolutely. I've noticed a lot of stuff that I never saw before because I'm looking off to the side for the brake markers. I also get a little panicky if I can't see them right away. Like at Zolder, the brake marker before the hairpin is partially obscured by some foliage. I couldn't find it for a few laps and finally after about the 3rd time in a row that I ran straight through the turn, I turned the car around and drove back up the track to find the damn thing.

Innerspace_HQ
21-08-2015, 01:40
That's kind of the way I see it. In most games you're faster without the assists but in this one I think you can be a bit faster using them. I don't mind turning them off if necessary though.

Yeah absolutely. I've noticed a lot of stuff that I never saw before because I'm looking off to the side for the brake markers. I also get a little panicky if I can't see them right away. Like at Zolder, the brake marker before the hairpin is partially obscured by some foliage. I couldn't find it for a few laps and finally after about the 3rd time in a row that I ran straight through the turn, I turned the car around and drove back up the track to find the damn thing.

Zolder! Don't talk to me about Zolder. Is it just me totally distracted by those f***ing windmills?! ;) I dunno why but they seem to catch my eye every single time. I strongly dislike that corner!

Schnizz58
21-08-2015, 02:37
I never really had a problem with the windmills but I probably will now, lol. When I first turned off the line, Zolder was my first practice track. I don't know why I chose it but I had to pick something. So I drove lap after lap in the McLaren 12C GT3. It took me forever to find a good line & speed through turn 1 and I still haven't nailed the first half of the windmill turn. It was frustrating but it was also kind of exhilarating and when I could finally drive a decent lap I was really proud of myself. I found myself more aware of the track. On the turn after the windmills leading onto the back straight, there is kind of a dip or bump right at the turn in point. It's pretty obvious and I don't know how one could miss it but I had never even noticed it before.

Innerspace_HQ
21-08-2015, 02:53
I never really had a problem with the windmills but I probably will now, lol.

Hahaha. Sorry for that! You could be lucky, my friend doesn't notice it all even though I regularly complain of it in his company.

It's a good point you make actually, about what you notice or sometimes don't notice. There's a bump which can affect the revs on Brno (my favourite track atm) after turn 1, in the Formula cars at least. I never noticed it with the line on. Weird. It's actually safer to stay off line after turn 1 and slowly merge back onto the racing line after about 40% of the straight before turn 2. I'd never have spotted that with line on. It's helped me put in a pretty damn serious lap time of very low 1:33. No racing line for the win! :)