PDA

View Full Version : Fast and clean with controller? (Possible?)

Gravit8
20-08-2015, 22:21
So when I spectated people using controllers at Watkins GP in LMP1's the other day. I noticed a few things.
Ps4 online lobby

1) there car sounds were either bugged or weird. Stuttering sound. My car and the AI did not do it?

2)I do not want to race people using controllers because of the constant flicking of the controller they need to do to maintain semi straight lines. How can they race clean if at all?

3) they have dialed all of the twitchiness out of car so they can murder cubs? Their lines over Kurb sections are drastically different.

4)Could these contrasting styles be a huge part of the reason AI gets so much blame for being horrible drivers. AI brakes later doesn't use kurbs and generally carries more speed. While player is blocking kurbs?

5) I assume every race with AI when you use a controller turns into an AI bash a thon, because player has to cheat to stay out front at high difficulty settings. Or at least a lot of contact leads to AI red mist. And a lot of people hating on the AI.

6) could or would people agree that it's harder to maintain clean racing with a controller

Anyway just curious thoughts.

PTG Baby Cow
20-08-2015, 22:43
Yes it is very possible to be fast and clean. It depends on the driver more than the input method.

Gravit8
20-08-2015, 22:51
Yes it is very possible to be fast and clean. It depends on the driver more than the input method.

I figured. But care to elaborate? Think it's equally easy to do on controller than on wheel?
What if any difference in how you accomplish clean & fast as a controller user. If you are one b

NuclearPenguin
20-08-2015, 23:08
All cars stutter in sound online. I think it has to do with the netcode. If you spectate someone and look at there throttle, it always drops to 0% rapidly that it makes the stutter sound. It's maybe as if theres always delay in getting someones next input?

As for controller, its possible. I use to play iracing with a controller before I bought myself a wheel. I think its a bit harder but its completely doable. The only thing that bugged me personally though is after a while in a long race I get a little worried that Ill accidentally twitch my thumb and throw my car off. Never happened though

Nekrobob
20-08-2015, 23:54
Maybe it is possible to drive clean with an non Wheel Controller.My personal Problem is,when i see Cars are steering with a Pad/Keyboard,it destroys my Immersion instantly.It looks so wrong to me.

Is it theoretically possible to force a Wheel when i open a MP Session?

MitchR32
21-08-2015, 00:15
It's entirely possible to race fast and clean with a controller (been doing it since Gran Turismo 4!) and don't have issues with the AI. I had a wheel for the last 3 years but after MS made all previous peripherals redundant with the Xbone I'm stuck on the controller for now.

As far as tuning of the car goes I've been tuning as if I'm using a wheel and drive the lines I would with a wheel, biggest variable here is the driver and their driving style.

PTG Baby Cow
21-08-2015, 00:29
Gravit8, look at the tt leaderboards. I am sure you will notice atleast 50% if not even greater % of the #1 times are on a pad.

leithnow
21-08-2015, 00:33
I use a xbox one controller on the pc...works fine for me. I just wish the rumble in the triggers worked like they did on xbox....wonder if they can make it so it does or it that is a limitation of the controller on pc.

Gravit8
21-08-2015, 01:04
Maybe it is possible to drive clean with an non Wheel Controller.My personal Problem is,when i see Cars are steering with a Pad/Keyboard,it destroys my Immersion instantly.It looks so wrong to me.

Is it theoretically possible to force a Wheel when i open a MP Session?

I don't think so. But I would like it as an option.

Gravit8
21-08-2015, 01:08
Gravit8, look at the tt leaderboards. I am sure you will notice atleast 50% if not even greater % of the #1 times are on a pad.

I can already see that. The guys I'm talking about were as fast as me. Just very different lines and styles. Difficult to not get tangled up at Watkins or any narrow track. Two wide and their twitch/steer movements make it hard to race like that. Pad users always outbreak( in straight lines especially). I expect that. Breaking would be impossible without major help. It's one case where I believe a pedal set requires more work and practice to achieve similar breaking.

I kind of feel like it's a mismatch. Cause wheel users use slower more calculated breaking under foot modulation. For a net disadvantage under breaking. While controller user are at disadvantage when it comes to steering input and off corner exit and corner entry. Are strengths are weakness for them and vice versa.

MitchR32
21-08-2015, 01:10
Braking*

At Watkins Glen I find it quite easy to brake to the apex in most GT3 and above cars, quite fun drifting the 12C GT3 into T1 on the brakes.

theZOGster
21-08-2015, 01:12
Maybe I'm out of my element here, I'm not the fastest driver out there but I put in decent times using a controller (top 20 on the tracks I try). I use two fingers on the steering input - my thumb and my pointer finger. Thumbs aren't meant for fine motion, they're meant for grasping and holding on.

I use my thumb for most of the input but my pointer finger is used to stabilize and smooth the input.

Controllers aren't ideal because of their limited input range, so you're always going to see some sawing back and forth on the track. I'd love to get a wheel but it doesn't seem worth it unless I was all in with the proper seating position, a stable seat and pedal setup. Just plopping a wheel down on a table seems a little haphazard to me, so I'm sticking with a comtroller for now.

Gravit8
21-08-2015, 01:32
Maybe I'm out of my element here, I'm not the fastest driver out there but I put in decent times using a controller (top 20 on the tracks I try). I use two fingers on the steering input - my thumb and my pointer finger. Thumbs aren't meant for fine motion, they're meant for grasping and holding on.

I use my thumb for most of the input but my pointer finger is used to stabilize and smooth the input.

Controllers aren't ideal because of their limited input range, so you're always going to see some sawing back and forth on the track. I'd love to get a wheel but it doesn't seem worth it unless I was all in with the proper seating position, a stable seat and pedal setup. Just plopping a wheel down on a table seems a little haphazard to me, so I'm sticking with a comtroller for now.

Hmm cool info on the two finger thing. I wonder how common that is. Have not sen or heard before.

That sawing back and forth thing is what I mean and feel like I'd have to avoid. Tough to share a narrow straight or track. Let alone complex and narrow section.

And your right about a wheel needing a comfy and solid seating position to maximize it. I'm losing a lot of consistency moving about in my non fixed cockpit. Until I have a solution that provides good posture. Don't get to play as much.
But I'll build one once I find a cheap suitable seat on craigslist.

hkraft300
21-08-2015, 02:19
The erratic movement is from the stick flickers. Everyone who's watched me drive asks what wheel I'm using ;) it is possible to achieve fine motion control with the thumb - I have my controller set so the thumb stick (L3) angle is close to the steering angle) and I do my best to be as smooth with my inputs as possible.
The stuttering is from lag/ping - I've watched (monitor/spectate) guys closer to my region/ with a decent connection (or when my connection is good) and it doesn't stutter.

RobMUFC1987
21-08-2015, 10:30
I've been racing Online with a controller since Gran Turismo 5 and racing altogether since Super Monaco GP on the Sega. In my experience, no matter the controller/wheel they use, 75% of people can't race or use ideal lines. Plus on PS4 at least, majority of people come from Arcade Racing where its faster drifting round corners.

I'm not perfect by any means, but I give plenty of room and I'm very consistent, so you know exactly what I'm going to do if you've raced me for a few minutes

justonce68
21-08-2015, 10:45
I drive in league with controller users (I have wheel) and I have to say most of them are silky smooth. so yes its possible and yes they are competitive.

SeeNoWeevil
22-08-2015, 09:57
I don't understand why people are so incapable of driving smoothly with a pad and have to resort to flicking the sticks constantly. The DS4 has incredibly precise sticks that offer the tiniest of inputs.

hkraft300
22-08-2015, 10:13
Ye they're pretty good.
Makes me cringe when I monitor others driving with DS4 and I see the Wheels on full lock around a fast sweeper or even adjusting their line along a straight. Scrubbing level: DS4!

Markus Ott
22-08-2015, 10:45
You can be fast, yet SMS has decided to put artifical disadvantages on the controller input and is far away from being precise. But you can.

hkraft300
22-08-2015, 11:05
Plenty precise enough from my experience. Any inaccuracy is my lack of ability.
Not sure what artificial disadvantage you speak of.
In a 20 lap race, my buddies with wheels are sweating from the FFB while I'm quite comfortable and laid back on my couch ;)

Gravit8
22-08-2015, 11:10
Plenty precise enough from my experience. Any inaccuracy is my lack of ability.
Not sure what artificial disadvantage you speak of.
In a 20 lap race, my buddies with wheels are sweating from the FFB while I'm quite comfortable and laid back on my couch ;)

Hahahaha a. U weasel.