PDA

View Full Version : Mandatory Pits and Rain Slicks, questions

leithnow
21-08-2015, 19:03
In career mode, the race notes say that the pit engineer will tell me when the pits are open for mandatory pit stop, but that I have all race to do it after that. However my race engineer tells me 2 laps in that I MUST pit this lap. Do I have to pit at that lap or should I take it to mean I can pit whichever lap I want from then on?

Also when it comes to rain tires, if the rain stops, should I change back to regular racing tires immediately, or leave the rain tires on because the track will still be wet for awhile? How long should I leave them on after the rain stops?

Schnizz58
21-08-2015, 19:15
You do not have to and in fact should not pit when he tells you to. He's usually wrong about when to pit so ignore him and pit when you think you need to. Also, it's helpful to map a key to Request Pit Stop. If you don't ask to come into the pits, sometimes your teammate will be in the pit box and your car won't stop. You'll get what amounts to a drive-through penalty.

Depends on how much further you have in the race. If there's more than two laps or so, I'd pit and get off the wets about a lap after it stops raining. The track dries off pretty quickly (too quickly some would say) so you need to get back on slicks or your tires will overheat with the quickness.

3800racingfool
21-08-2015, 19:17
In career mode, the race notes say that the pit engineer will tell me when the pits are open for mandatory pit stop, but that I have all race to do it after that. However my race engineer tells me 2 laps in that I MUST pit this lap. Do I have to pit at that lap or should I take it to mean I can pit whichever lap I want from then on?

You don't /have/ to pit that lap. You can pit a lap later, or 10 laps later. You just need to make sure you pit once otherwise you'll be disqualified.

Also when it comes to rain tires, if the rain stops, should I change back to regular racing tires immediately, or leave the rain tires on because the track will still be wet for awhile? How long should I leave them on after the rain stops?

There's a lot of dependencies there. If it stops raining with only 3-5 laps to go, then I'd just stay out on the wets to finish the race. If it's raining off and on I'd keep them on as well. If the race starts in rain but then changes to dry I usually like to stay out a few laps to get an edge on the rest of the field before eventually changing to slicks. In other words, you'll kinda have to feel that one out on your own through trial and error as well as personal preference.

leithnow
21-08-2015, 19:19
Awesome, thank you guys for the very quick reply! Time to try this race again.

DidNotFinish
21-08-2015, 19:32
I agree that the pit engineer telling you that you "must pit" is sort of confusing. I didn't know that you didn't really have to pit that lap until now. He should say "okay, the pit is open, come in when you're ready."

Schnizz58
21-08-2015, 19:46
I agree that the pit engineer telling you that you "must pit" is sort of confusing. I didn't know that you didn't really have to pit that lap until now. He should say "okay, the pit is open, come in when you're ready."
I agree. He's pretty insistent that you pit RFN.