PDA

View Full Version : Tough time at Nordschleife

CrustyA
21-08-2015, 23:37
Anyone else have any issues keeping the car under control at Pflanzgarten and Galgenkopf?:confused:

I realize I'm no alien, but I continually have a hard time at these spots in pCars.
For giggles I went back and ran AssettoCorsa's Nordschleife and find it much easier to handle on these particular spots. (Not saying that's "correct" or better) but wasn't Assettos Nords Laser scanned?

Here's a admittedly hastily thrown together video trying to illustrate the issue at these two spots comparing Assetto with pCars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqvbFCcGlRM

It almost seems like the hard landing at Pflanzgarten can cause the physics to go wonky for a moment?

At Galgenkopf, the corner seems to have more and/or larger bumps than Assetto's version causing me to spin most of the time..

Just curious if I'm the only one? If so I'll just get to practicing more.. :)

yusupov
21-08-2015, 23:53
are you lowering the ride heights at all in the setup menu?

jw since ive never seen anyone else bring this up. i think ive only driven road cars at nords so ive never had any problems.

feloney_x
22-08-2015, 02:38
idk about that car,but in my gulf to avoid that i set the springs as soft as possible also when you come at those 3 hills that give you air time just let off the gas before you hit it dont break just let off the gas till you over it

CrustyA
22-08-2015, 04:11
I actually haven't modified the setup at all on either pCars or Assetto, both are just whatever the defaults are.
I'm not huge into tuning right now.. I don't know enough about it yet and currently I'd rather spend time driving/racing than doing the tuning/testing cycle.

Good call feloney_x, i'll have to start delving in to setups sometime, so softening it up sounds like it'd help, especially on a bumpy track like this.
I'd have to try again because it's been a while, but I seem to recall having the same issue with some other cars like the Aston GT4, Z4 GT3 and Ruf GT3.

TheReaper GT
22-08-2015, 04:56
Try with deaccel dif in 20. Solved to me.
Ps: assetto's car model is awful. :p

maurice-pascale
22-08-2015, 09:51
Dont fit, but the white/orange livery looks great at the beginning....

i really hope Ps4/xbox get the livery editor too......

maurice-pascale
22-08-2015, 09:52
Or is the beginning from assetto corsa???? Looks different a bit

TheReaper GT
22-08-2015, 09:54
Or is the beginning from assetto corsa???? Looks different a bit

Red replay controls = assetto corsa. And there's no such thing as livery editor.

Gavin Thomas
22-08-2015, 10:02
I've had that issue there a few times on Project CARS.

For me the solution was simple, braking later. If the car hadn't settled down after the brief amount of air before I touched the brakes, the back end would snap sometimes catchable sometimes not.

Tastakrad
22-08-2015, 10:28
There are some bumps at Pflanzgarten and Galgenkopf that aren't there in real life.

jimmyb_84
22-08-2015, 10:37
I've dialled the McLaren GT3 in for most of the track but for the life of me I cannot get it to take the carousel without being spat out into the barrier.

Giom
22-08-2015, 11:53
I've dialled the McLaren GT3 in for most of the track but for the life of me I cannot get it to take the carousel without being spat out into the barrier.

I know. I have the same problem with carousel. The AI cars leave me for dead around that corner - no way I can ever maintain the same speed as they do. For this one reason, I can sadly not enjoy the Nordschleife. Devs? Any fixes in the pipeline?

Mark Quigley
22-08-2015, 12:08
Can't help you with Galgenkopf as I just hope for the best there :D
For Pflanzgarten, a quick dab on the brakes before you leave the ground and another dab and down a gear before the turn, not that fast but it keeps me out of the weeds.

CrustyA
22-08-2015, 12:10
Thanks for the suggestions guys,
I'll try some of the techniques mentioned as well as the setups suggestions.

There are some bumps at Pflanzgarten and Galgenkopf that aren't there in real life.
I'm sort of wondering about this now. Are you speaking from actual experience driving there?
I understand Sector3 is working on a laser scanned Nordschleife for R3E so I'll be curious to see how their version ends up.

I know. I have the same problem with carousel. The AI cars leave me for dead around that corner - no way I can ever maintain the same speed as they do. For this one reason, I can sadly not enjoy the Nordschleife. Devs? Any fixes in the pipeline?
I know what your talking about here too. I dont recall exactly how fast I can go around the carousel but it sure feels like I need to go very slow to keep it on the banking

yusupov
22-08-2015, 12:18
i used to have trouble at the carousel (any sim) but anymore i brake, drop a gear & accelerate all the way through. probably not how the fast guys take it but it works.

a laserscan is a laserscan, & theyre all from around the same time, theyre arent going to be any large bumps in one and not in another.

Machinist90
22-08-2015, 12:24

every time I take that corner my car seems to scream I CAN'T DEAL WITH THIS while I never had any issues with that corner in shift 2

DJBLITZKRIEG
22-08-2015, 13:30
Plus we need more graffiti. The track feels sterile. Please devs!!!

bmanic
22-08-2015, 13:36

This. There are quite a few very nasty bumps in the pCars version that are simply not there in real life.. or at least not at all as severe.

Tastakrad
22-08-2015, 13:49
I'm sort of wondering about this now. Are you speaking from actual experience driving there?
I understand Sector3 is working on a laser scanned Nordschleife for R3E so I'll be curious to see how their version ends up.

No. I am watching onboard videos from VLN and 24h since 2008 and you can see from the video that there are bumps in the PCars Nordschleife that arent there in reallife. And Gran Turismo Nordschleife doesnt have them either.

I hope that SMS can laser scan the Nordschleife at some point. Every sim has the license to do it, so why not a laser scan Norschleife in PCars too?

CrustyA
22-08-2015, 14:11
I hope that SMS can laser scan the Nordschleife at some point. Every sim has the license to do it, so why not a laser scan Norschleife in PCars too?

Agreed 100%:yes:
Unfortunately for now these issues are enough to keep me from spending more time on this track.

feloney_x
22-08-2015, 16:25
I actually haven't modified the setup at all on either pCars or Assetto, both are just whatever the defaults are.
I'm not huge into tuning right now.. I don't know enough about it yet and currently I'd rather spend time driving/racing than doing the tuning/testing cycle.

Good call feloney_x, i'll have to start delving in to setups sometime, so softening it up sounds like it'd help, especially on a bumpy track like this.
I'd have to try again because it's been a while, but I seem to recall having the same issue with some other cars like the Aston GT4, Z4 GT3 and Ruf GT3.

ya on some tracks its needed,if its a smooth flat track like dubai you can get away with a really rigid setup but when its bumpy that set up will bounce you all over the track and it always happens at the worst possible time lol so the softer the spring it transfers most of that movement to the wheels rather than the chassis so you have a little more control

Machinist90
26-08-2015, 20:15
I can enter the carousel fine but it's halfway through the car starts bumping and drifts out to the outside

3800racingfool
26-08-2015, 20:36

Maybe because it's an expensive pain in the ass to scan a track that large? Just because you've got a license to do something doesn't mean it's not going to cost even more money to actually do it. In some cases, potentially more money than the license you paid for.

@OP: Nords is a very bumpy track especially in the third sector. A soft(er) setup is a must. The default setup on the McLaren should be pretty soft for starters but you may have to tweak it a bit further if that third section is giving you a hard time.

To tackle the two "jumps" (I call them jumps as I'm not german) you'll want to lift off the throttle a bit as you go over them. You want to keep your rear tires spinning at roughly the same speed they were when you left the track. Too fast or slow and you'll have issues like you showed in your video.

Plage
27-08-2015, 00:22
Anyone else have any issues keeping the car under control at Pflanzgarten and Galgenkopf?:confused:

I realize I'm no alien, but I continually have a hard time at these spots in pCars.
For giggles I went back and ran AssettoCorsa's Nordschleife and find it much easier to handle on these particular spots. (Not saying that's "correct" or better) but wasn't Assettos Nords Laser scanned?

Here's a admittedly hastily thrown together video trying to illustrate the issue at these two spots comparing Assetto with pCars.

It almost seems like the hard landing at Pflanzgarten can cause the physics to go wonky for a moment?

At Galgenkopf, the corner seems to have more and/or larger bumps than Assetto's version causing me to spin most of the time..

Your car seems to be way to low for this track and the suspension seems to stiff, too (spluttering).

You're hitting the brakes while being in the air which will lock the wheels and since you won't touch down on all four for the most time this will throw you of each time depending on which wheel makes ground contact first. Try to brake before the jump or just take your foot of the gas and only put it on again after you've completely touched down.

bcredeur97
27-08-2015, 03:33
I too have noticed that this section seems a little harder than it should be.

With practice its not too bad though. Ive grown used to it. I would like to see someone who has actually driven Nordschleife IRL comment on this.

the correct technique though is brake --- jump ---brake. At least for the first one (im not familiar with the names, sorry). The second one if I remember correctly you should be able to just let off on the throttle a bit, just a small amount of braking beforehand if needed

toold
06-09-2015, 21:32
Have a look at this.
so you will see that the sim's can't be compared with reality
https://youtu.be/LBlfLLv6Fjk

Invincible
06-09-2015, 22:26
Have a look at this.
so you will see that the sim's can't be compared with reality
https://youtu.be/LBlfLLv6Fjk

In which aspect exactly?

What you can see very nicely in those videos, is that both cars, the Manthey Porsche and Sabine's Porsche are breaking BEFORE the crests at Pflanzgarten and Galgenkopf to keep the cars calm.

maxx2504
06-09-2015, 22:50
Hi !

And PCars is a game and the people give a s*** about braking :D

JimBoum
27-05-2016, 19:36
Had some issues here with the mclaren too while trying it out on the Nords. Some fast dampers settings work solved it almost completely, but the car still felt a bit more unstable than the other gt3s. I was still able to pass the section without braking before the jump no problem.

havocc
27-05-2016, 20:42
Lift throttle just before the jump without braking and you're safe, that worked for me with Aston GT4, i may be wrong but i think differential lock is involved because of the air phase...

konnos
28-05-2016, 08:40
As others have pointed out, your problem is that you are holding the brakes in mid-air, so when you are landing 1 or 2 wheels are going to touch the ground first and also, you might have a slight angle when you are landing. Keep your car straight before the jump and brake a milisecond after you ve landed. I used to get spins with cars there as well when I started, now no more. Also, don't brake full power for this turn, you only need to lose a little speed for the next turn, so brake a little and the car will not lose balance so easily.

Secondly, in the video you posted the cars are going a lot slower in all the turns than what you re going to the be driving with the McLaren

Shadowoff
28-05-2016, 08:43

brake later and not that hard

Ian Bell
28-05-2016, 08:46
Your car seems to be way to low for this track and the suspension seems to stiff, too (spluttering).

You're hitting the brakes while being in the air which will lock the wheels and since you won't touch down on all four for the most time this will throw you of each time depending on which wheel makes ground contact first. Try to brake before the jump or just take your foot of the gas and only put it on again after you've completely touched down.

Grounding a car as in moving beyond the limits of the normal suspension to the bump stops or chassis, SHOULD make the physics go 'wonky'. You are no longer working on suspension dynamics and are grounding the chassis which results in the behaviour you are seeing. It's called proper simulation, a thing some people accuse us of not being...

rosko
28-05-2016, 09:44
Grounding a car as in moving beyond the limits of the normal suspension to the bump stops or chassis, SHOULD make the physics go 'wonky'. You are no longer working on suspension dynamics and are grounding the chassis which results in the behaviour you are seeing. It's called proper simulation, a thing some people accuse us of not being...

Agree as i mentioned in the other nords bumby thread, pcars seems more natural in the way it reacts to the road in terms of suspension. I think if you are comparing to real cars instead of other sims would make for a better reference point.

Haiden
30-05-2016, 15:34

If that's the case, then this seems like an apples to oranges comparison. The default setups probably aren't exactly the same.

Regardless, it seems like you're trying to brake at points where the car's weight is shifting vertically and the tires have less grip. Try braking later and harder, like as you come down the hill and the weight comes back down on the tires. You'll have more grip at that point. Conversely, if you can't brake after the crest, then brake before it. But as you come over the top of the hill, I'd stay off the brake and throttle and try to get as much straight line traction as possible.