PDA

View Full Version : Question Re: $400 Racing Wheels

JohnnyDNGRSLY
23-08-2015, 07:11
(TLDR: I have a Thrustmaster T80. Is the G29 or T300 four times better, as the price suggests?)

Late-night deep thoughts.

First, a bit of history. I started sim racing in the mid-1990s with a Thrustmaster Formula T2 and games like IndyCar Racing 2, NASCAR Racing 2, Grand Prix Legends, and Grand Prix 2. Then I had a long period using an analog gamepad for my controller as my job took me more mobile and as my console gaming took over from my PC gaming. My racing wheels had always been spring/bungee based, and my gamepads of course had the rumble feedback. I was/am also heavily into flight sims and knew firsthand the amazing immersion force-feedback can bring. Then, finally, with the release of Gran Turismo 5 for the PS3, I took the plunge and got a racing seat and a force-feedback wheel.

I was underwhelmed.

I've tried a few force-feedback wheels over the years and could never get along with the distracting noise (however, I now play almost exclusively wearing headphones), the constant fighting of the wheel's forces (and being puzzled at the so-called "simulation feel" of understeer and oversteer forces), and the gigantic price tag involved (to say nothing of 2015-era wheel pricing!).

Fast-forward to the present day. I now use a Thrustmaster T80 (again, spring/bungee based) to play Project CARS and F1 2015 on the PS4, and am looking forward to playing Assetto Corsa next year. I am happy with the T80 although it's small, has dreadful pedals, has too-long shift paddle travel, and has mushy buttons.

I find myself wanting something more, and am now eyeing the new Logitech G29. I have a few things around the house I'd been meaning to sell on eBay which will drum up something like $300, which gets me very close. But, man, that price tag. I could buy four T80s for that!

So I ask: is the G29 four times better than the T80 for someone who primarily plays racing games, but someone who plays (only?) 1-2 hours a night, 4 nights a week? And this doesn't even have to be about the Logitech. Insert your wheel of choice; say, the T300. Any $400+ wheel.

And P.S.: why doesn't anyone make a nice, quality, high-end, spring/bungee based racing wheel?! :p

AB_Attack
23-08-2015, 10:52
No. They are better but not the pricedifference better. I used Logitech DFP for many years Before recently getting T300. It's better but if I knew Before purchase what I know now I would have stuck with my old Wheel. Logitech DFP has good FFB though, can't say anything about the T80. Actually the only thing that I really can say is alot better is the ability to soft-lock the T300 at any degree I like. I always felt DFP 180 degrees was a little too little and 900 was way too much.

The funfactor with the different sets are much the same to me.

falcon2081
23-08-2015, 17:52
If you don't play as often and or just play for fun save yourself the money and stick with what you have. For the price I would not consider a G29 at all when it's basically a glorified G27. Although you're somewhat out of luck if you want to play with the G27 on a PS4. By then I would consider a Thrustmaster wheel or one of the discontinued Fanatec wheels. Look around eBay there is lots of wheels on sale and you can save yourself some money. This way your wallet doesn't take a huge hit and you can still play casually while having a better step up wheel from what you have.

SchnelleBasis
23-08-2015, 19:35
Used Fanatec Porsche 911 GT2 (the latest in the Porsche line from Fanatec-discontinued though).
Go for 200 Euro max at ebay. Will add to your RUF experience for sure.

That is just the price for the wheel though!
If you are halfway lucky you can get used peddals from Fanatec too. Csr Elite or Clubsport V1.

All in all an investment of around 350. BLOWS away all new wheels by a country mile when bought in mint condition.

And if you ask why: Google-> "belt driven FFB" and "Load Cell Brake" :)

E30_Hntsvl
23-08-2015, 21:20
I agree. Fanatec is the option. I like the standard CSR wheel better than the GT2. The CSR wheel gets much better road feel IMO. The bundle is only $250 with pedals.

k.merse
24-08-2015, 17:49
I would suggest to switch to the T300. The only reason against it is that the pedals are mediocre at best. Even after my ancient Logitech MOMO wheel they felt like a step back, so you most likely will have to spend on a new set of pedals too (Note: a T3PA set is relatively cheap and indeed very good).
But the T300 in itself is just awesome. it's strong, it's precise, it is easy to calibrate and adjust to your driving style, so it did worth every cent I paid for it.

Fanatec is insanely overpriced, and it doesn't provide so much better quality so I would strongly suggest against it, if economy is important too.

lacslyer
24-08-2015, 18:37
I would suggest to switch to the T300. The only reason against it is that the pedals are mediocre at best. Even after my ancient Logitech MOMO wheel they felt like a step back, so you most likely will have to spend on a new set of pedals too (Note: a T3PA set is relatively cheap and indeed very good).
But the T300 in itself is just awesome. it's strong, it's precise, it is easy to calibrate and adjust to your driving style, so it did worth every cent I paid for it.

Fanatec is insanely overpriced, and it doesn't provide so much better quality so I would strongly suggest against it, if economy is important too.

The Fanatec is insanely overpriced while the t300 gives you crap pedals and a decent wheel for $400? That doesn't make sense to me when for $400 you can get the Fanatec GT2 wheel and the $150 CSR Elite pedals. Hell, even the $80 Fanatec pedals are superior to the t300 I'm sure.

Rayge
24-08-2015, 18:41

I don't know about that. Fanatec products I've used feel and looks amazing. They don't feel like toys at all and have very little plastic in their products. I think it's worth the premium if you can afford it.