PDA

View Full Version : Rift, Vive headsets

ARNAGEist
24-08-2015, 10:00
I see some development work is being done with Pcars & the RIFT headset. I didn't want to clutter up the development threads hence the new topic.

I'm wondering what the experience is like for those that have used them? is it more immersive than triple monitors?

I have 3 x 19 inch monitors which is pretty good but I wonder if getting one of these would be a big step forward, it would certainly save some valuable space in my man cave :cool:

Baj
24-08-2015, 10:45
I see some development work is being done with Pcars & the RIFT headset. I didn't want to clutter up the development threads hence the new topic.

I'm wondering what the experience is like for those that have used them? is it more immersive than triple monitors?

I have 3 x 19 inch monitors which is pretty good but I wonder if getting one of these would be a big step forward, it would certainly save some valuable space in my man cave :cool:

I personaly think its the only way to play the game. It is so much more imersive than tripple screen setup.
However the game has been getting worse with each update in terms of smooth gameplay and you need a prity good rig to even attempt to use the rift.
I would definatly wait for the consumer version of the rift to come out if you havent already got a rift, by which time the game should fully support the rift.
You can find more info on other rift users experiance with PCars here http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?21856-Oculus-rift-DK2-Setup-Guide

fitzsteve
24-08-2015, 10:57
I play normally on triple screen which was a big step up from single screen, I got a DK2 last week and I haven't been back to triples since! The only thing I will say is that you need a very fast PC, I'm using an AMD FX-8350 and GTX970; I'm having to run at pretty much minimal settings and max 8-10 other cars to avoid frame rate drops, and some tracks like Azure have a terrible frame rate all the time. Weather changes also cause a drop in frame rate but it seems to go back to normal after the weather has changed, i.e dry to wet stutters a bit but frame rate picks up again once rain is steady. I can race with a larger field of cars, it's laggy for the first few corners then stabilises once the field spreads out a little.

The racing experience does make up somewhat for the imperfections, the close racing is extremely immersive, jostling for position is great fun looking all around you. Open seaters are fantastic fun, watching the inside wheel ride the curbs and it really helps with braking as you spot the inside front start to under rotate, you actually start to focus on these little details and it adds a whole new level of realism.

Down side, I'm much slower, hopefully with practice speed will come but you can get lost in the experience a little and miss apex's and braking points.

I'd highly recommend trying it out if you have a fast enough PC and the spare cash, other games are great too such as Assetto Corsa and if you like Rally Games Dirt Rally is fantastic on the DK2.

TrevorAustin
24-08-2015, 11:25
Completely different experience for me and after several months I am MUCH faster in VR and can now barely complete a lap on a single screen without sliding off and still a second or two slower on triples.

It is very CPU intensive at the moment, way more than it should be. But I think that is a Rift problem. I also think we need timewarp added to make the experience much better where things become marginal.

ARNAGEist
24-08-2015, 18:06
Thanks All I'll keep an eye on them over the coming months;)

I have a I7 4770K & an R9 280x both with slight overclocks so I hope that will be enough:)

Kunal_Racedriver
24-08-2015, 18:29
Since the topic has been raised, may I ask what experienced rift users think of i7 2600k with a gtx 980 ti for consumer version specs of Oculus rift. I am desperately holding my GPU upgrade but not sure if gtx 980ti will hold its ground at quality settings for CV1. As Nvidia Pascal will not be available readily by the end of next year, 980 ti is supposed to remain the best card for 2016. If I go for it, there will be no upgrade for next 3 years. Youtube videos show people using DK2 even on gtx 970.
So, gtx 970 now and use it to handle racing on low settings till pascal is released OR Gtx 980i now as it will handle the Rift at acceptable quality? I am confused :stupid:

TrevorAustin
24-08-2015, 18:43
Cpu withthe current runtimes probably won't be enough. Im cpu limited at present with a 4.6 5820. I've managed to get max settings with at most 15 cars with hardly any judder but gpu never goes above 75%.

Really hoping for some improvement from the next rift runtime, imminent, and pcars tinewarp inclusion.

RaceNut
24-08-2015, 19:04
I ran Pcars, AC, and iRacing on my system using a GTX 670 and also a GTX 780. All titles were playable with those cards but, with lower settings and AI numbers. Extended mode offered some performance advantages but, it's early days for the new Direct Mode and improvements should come in time. Oculus recommends the GTX 970 or better but, a system that can handle triples pretty well may work okay. We just don't know how much optimization and efficiency can be found yet through the new SDK from Oculus, video drivers and game optimizations.

I agree with the general sentiment that VR will be the way to play Racing Sims soon. I much prefer VR racing over a single monitor even with the current VR limitations; I haven't used triples. The immersion is far greater and there is no reason one can't be as fast - if not faster - in VR. I find it easier to judge distance - especially in traffic, and hitting apexes becomes easier too IMO. The biggest drawback for me is that it's harder to go back to racing on monitors once your used to VR (not that I can't, I just don't want to). I frequently switch back and forth because some of the titles I like to play don't yet support VR; it's totally possible to be reasonably good in both viewing options.

Kunal_Racedriver
25-08-2015, 06:26
I have few questions I keep asking myself:indecisiveness: Rift users, please share your experience.

1. Biggest flaw on racing on a flat screen has been the lack of presence. Most of the tracks have quite a change in elevation. Lets take an example of popular Rouge in Spa. When exploring on google earth, I can imagine:D of what it would feel like going over that uphill in real life. Somehow that feeling is dull in games. Does viewing through rift makes you feel these elevation changes?

2. Sensation of speed comes when we relate slow/static things(like road texture and side elements) zooming past us. Playing Sim on low FOV takes this feeling even further away. I have been unsuccessful so far to make any person excited about speed when I demo them sim racing. All of them tell me they don't feel the speed and 100 kph feels static as compared to real life. Triple screens are better but still needs convincing at times. How dangerous is speed felt through Vr ?

3. There is no doubt that sitting and staring on a flat screen for a prolonged time takes its toll on eyes and needs a balance. I did a 25 lap race and was tired, uneasy and stiff in neck after that. If there is no latency issue, how bad (healthvise) and tiring is VR when compared to Flat screens?

4. I tried VR cardboard. There was a demo of Laguna Seca. I was not at all impressed. Other than ability to turn my head, it felt no more exciting than what on flat screen. I hope it is just for proof of concept and Rift is nothing like that.

5. I know this is asked again and again, But still :p...do DK2 user feel that gtx 980ti bought now will not be a waste to handle CV Rift with acceptable quality or do they prefer to wait for pascal?

I don't read much about VR issues and technical problems. So some of these might feel noobish:indecisiveness: I too hope this will be the way of playing Sim Racing and gets its filter in Multiplayer

ARNAGEist
25-08-2015, 11:17
I can have an idea of what it would feel like walking that uphill in real life

It's quite a climb, TV does not do it justice, I still see R18's & Porsche 919's in my sleep going through there from the WEC race in May :love_heart:

fitzsteve
25-08-2015, 14:20
Yes indeed you get a much better sense of the elevation changes in VR, you feel it in your belly when you drop down just like in real life! The up's and down's of The Green Hell is good fun and you get a real appreciation for these stand out corners, another good example is the Corkscrew at Leguna Seca.

I done my first complete race night on the DK2 last night, playing Assetto Corsa with friends online, I managed about 7 or 8 races (8 min Quali/4 lap Races) over a few hours, a short rest between track changes was great relief for my eyes, they were straining a bit towards the end.

The close battles were fantastic, and I was faster then I thought I'd be, I won a couple and was in the top 3 most races :) Not too shabby for my first proper session on the VR.

The one big thing you really notice is the lack of visibility in some cars, we get spoiled by triple screens and virtual rear view mirrors and even apps in games like AC, being in the Car with no HUD relying on the side mirrors and/or rear view monitor/mirror was quite a challenge, especially since some cars don't have any rear view at all!

With all that said I'm more sold on VR than ever and can't wait for a sharper display in the future, this will be the icing on the cake.

RaceNut
25-08-2015, 14:58
When I first started playing Pcars in the DK2, there were times where the elevation changes and walls would be a bit scary, so I would say yes - the racing environment is more intense and you feel as though you are in it, not just looking at it from a distance. Of course, there are some obvious things that break immersion but, when it works, it's amazing. There have been times where my mind was in the moment and my heart rate was higher, breathing was heavier and my forehead and hands were sweaty so, it is possible to become quite immersed in a race.

The biggest issues are the limited resolution, SDE (should be greatly reduced in CV1), and narrow FOV but, all of these become less of an issue once involved in actual racing and the ability to look where you want goes a long way to making up for the narrow FOV IMO. It's not that far off from wearing a helmet and/or goggles. A pair of headphones also lend themselves to that effect as well.

stitchbob
25-08-2015, 17:36
I was in similar position to the OP.

I bit the bullet and built a PC rig last week, i7 4790k + 980Ti. First PC I've had in around 10-15 years! All in anticipation for VR.

I was going to get the DK2 in the interim too before the consumer versions are released but it sounds like the recent SDK changes has made the experience quite unstable so have decided to hold off for either the Vive or CV1 release (whichever comes first - looks like Vive). It's only a few months but when I have the idea of getting something I'm really impatient... the wait is killing me!

But I think it will be worth it for a more polished and friendly user experience. :)

A 980Ti should be good for the first generation of VR titles, but it may be worth waiting til you buy the headset if you've no need to upgrade now. It will put you in the best position to make the right purchasing decision.

EDIT: Oh and I really enjoy hearing user experiences.... although it makes the wait even harder!

RaceNut
25-08-2015, 18:01
I was in similar position to the OP.

I bit the bullet and built a PC rig last week, i7 4790k + 980Ti. First PC I've had in around 10-15 years! All in anticipation for VR.

I was going to get the DK2 in the interim too before the consumer versions are released but it sounds like the recent SDK changes has made the experience quite unstable so have decided to hold off for either the Vive or CV1 release (whichever comes first - looks like Vive). It's only a few months but when I have the idea of getting something I'm really impatient... the wait is killing me!

But I think it will be worth it for a more polished and friendly user experience. :)

A 980Ti should be good for the first generation of VR titles, but it may be worth waiting til you buy the headset if you've no need to upgrade now. It will put you in the best position to make the right purchasing decision.

EDIT: Oh and I really enjoy hearing user experiences.... although it makes the wait even harder! Waiting is wise but, I have no regrets as I have and still do thoroughly enjoy my Rift time.

It remains to be seen how the new SDK and drivers affect titles that currently work but, there's always the option to step back to older Runtimes if needed. From my reading, it doesn't appear that we will be forced to update the firmware on the DK2 with version 7.0 either. As long as there is something we can play with the DK2, I'll be happy until the consumer versions arrive.

I think it will be fun to read reactions from first-time VR players when the CV's hit the market.

MrTulip
25-08-2015, 18:49
I have few questions I keep asking myself:indecisiveness: Rift users, please share your experience.

1. Biggest flaw on racing on a flat screen has been the lack of presence. Most of the tracks have quite a change in elevation. Lets take an example of popular Rouge in Spa. When exploring on google earth, I can imagine:D of what it would feel like going over that uphill in real life. Somehow that feeling is dull in games. Does viewing through rift makes you feel these elevation changes?

2. Sensation of speed comes when we relate slow/static things(like road texture and side elements) zooming past us. Playing Sim on low FOV takes this feeling even further away. I have been unsuccessful so far to make any person excited about speed when I demo them sim racing. All of them tell me they don't feel the speed and 100 kph feels static as compared to real life. Triple screens are better but still needs convincing at times. How dangerous is speed felt through Vr ?

3. There is no doubt that sitting and staring on a flat screen for a prolonged time takes its toll on eyes and needs a balance. I did a 25 lap race and was tired, uneasy and stiff in neck after that. If there is no latency issue, how bad (healthvise) and tiring is VR when compared to Flat screens?

4. I tried VR cardboard. There was a demo of Laguna Seca. I was not at all impressed. Other than ability to turn my head, it felt no more exciting than what on flat screen. I hope it is just for proof of concept and Rift is nothing like that.

5. I know this is asked again and again, But still :p...do DK2 user feel that gtx 980ti bought now will not be a waste to handle CV Rift with acceptable quality or do they prefer to wait for pascal?

I don't read much about VR issues and technical problems. So some of these might feel noobish:indecisiveness: I too hope this will be the way of playing Sim Racing and gets its filter in Multiplayer

My experience is that:
1. Feeling of presence is superb and distances and track elevations are realistic. Elevation differences can be seen especially in Richard Burns Rally which has some great hills and dips and not just long inclines or declines as the usual circuit tracks mostly have. (Sonoma Raceway is great in Pcars.)

2. Sensation of speed is also excellent. It is not exactly like in reality, since with DK2 the view is like with scuba gear cutting a bit from the sides. Yet if gives you both realistic FOV (meaning here object sizes and distances) and good feeling of speed at the same time. Even with that one compromise, it is still best I've ever seen.

3. You get a bit more of exercise since with VR you have to move your head a lot more than with the triple screen or single screen. This I find relaxing for my shoulders. The whole experience of driving a car is more natural than with the screen where I am completely static. I still get stiff shoulders but less than driving a real car outside of town, for instance.

But your eyes... Well, they'll probably bleed. X(

It is tiring mostly because DK2 lenses do not focus very well on the sides of the view. You will be looking a lot more directly forwards and moving your head instead, not to loose that clear area in your vision. This is a minus, of course, but not as big as it sounds; you can still move your eyes of course, and I've learned to move my head instead when in need of that better focus.

Seriously, while it is more tiring for your eyes, I've actually played hours and hours straight with DK2 without any problems except sweat on my brow from the heat.

4. With head position tracking it becomes quite a lot more natural, which is something Cardboard VR does not have. Ability to change you head position brings a lot of feeling of being in there.

5. GTX-980Ti didn't bring a lot on the table for me at least (coming from GTX-780Ti); DK2 is still stuttery in any new games because of its development phase and runtime. 980Ti allows you to double the antialiasing setting and add few details a notch higher, but not much else at the moment. For instance in DIRT Rally, one would expect to be able to crank everything up, but no, you still have to turn all the foliage off. And when it starts raining, lots of other settings down too. No matter how fast your CPU and GPU are.

cluck
25-08-2015, 20:37

I have 3 x 19 inch monitors which is pretty good but I wonder if getting one of these would be a big step forward, it would certainly save some valuable space in my man cave :cool:I've not used triple monitors on my own rig but my brother has them and used to have TrackIR too. How does that compare to racing with a Rift? It's like the difference between night and day. Getting that sense of depth, the sense that you are actually inside the car, that is something that no amount of normal screens can provide.

Like Trevor, I cannot drive on a normal screen now.

Should you buy one? Absolutely, definitely, 100% yes :).

cluck
25-08-2015, 20:45

I don't read much about VR issues and technical problems. So some of these might feel noobish:indecisiveness: I too hope this will be the way of playing Sim Racing and gets its filter in Multiplayer1. Yes, far closer to the real-life experience than I've managed on a single screen, no matter how much fiddling I've done with the FOV. Brands Hatch's Paddock Hill Bend is a prime example. In real life, it feels like the world is dropping away from you, with a lovely "whooompf" feeling as the car hits the bottom and starts to rise back uphill. With the Rift the only thing that is missing is that physical "whoompf" as your insides feel like they're being dragged downwards. It's the closest thing I've experienced to being there (and I've done close to a hundred laps of the Brands Indy circuit).

2. Believe it or not, you never actually feel like you're going that fast on a real race track. 100kph? That's quite pedestrian on a racetrack, except for hairpins, even in a mildly tuned roadcar. I've done over 140mph down the old back straight at Snetterton in my old Nissan 200 and, well, it was quite boring to be honest :o. As for the Rift, it feels realistic to me, based on my own track time.

3. I've raced for a couple of hours (with the TGC crowd) with no headaches or any feeling of side-effects immediately noticeable. But it differs for everybody.

4. No idea as I haven't tried one.

5. That's an impossible question to answer. Rift drivers are getting updates and, hopefully, there will be further updates from the SMS guys to suit. The only honest advice I can give on this question is to wait and see what somebody else finds :).

Hope that helps :).

nhitrac
26-08-2015, 03:23
Here's a question for RIFT/VR users... How do you get around going for the physical buttons and switches as once you have the headset on, you're effectively 'blind' to the outside world.

Particularly for those with additional 'button boxes', sim pits. This gets more complicated when you move to flight sims!

fitzsteve
26-08-2015, 07:13
Here's a question for RIFT/VR users... How do you get around going for the physical buttons and switches as once you have the headset on, you're effectively 'blind' to the outside world.

Particularly for those with additional 'button boxes', sim pits. This gets more complicated when you move to flight sims!

It's a bit clunky but if you know your way around a Keyboard you'll be ok, all the keys are in the same place you left them :)

Games with a pad or wheel are also second nature, I've not used any complicated flight controllers though.

Just be careful not to spill your beer ;)

ARNAGEist
26-08-2015, 07:47
Just be careful not to spill your beer

Drink driving could go a long way to explain some of the poor driving seen on-line (sorry don't mean to open that can of worms :p )

Very much looking forward to trying one of the headsets reading these posts Thanks :D

sotti
27-08-2015, 20:55

With just a wheel it's not a big deal at all.

Monsthor
30-08-2015, 22:12

2. Sensation of speed comes when we relate slow/static things(like road texture and side elements) zooming past us. Playing Sim on low FOV takes this feeling even further away. I have been unsuccessful so far to make any person excited about speed when I demo them sim racing. All of them tell me they don't feel the speed and 100 kph feels static as compared to real life. Triple screens are better but still needs convincing at times. [B]How dangerous is speed felt through Vr ?...

2. Believe it or not, you never actually feel like you're going that fast on a real race track. 100kph? That's quite pedestrian on a racetrack, except for hairpins, even in a mildly tuned roadcar. I've done over 140mph down the old back straight at Snetterton in my old Nissan 200 and, well, it was quite boring to be honest :o. As for the Rift, it feels realistic to me, based on my own track time...
Hope that helps :).

Thanks, that is interesting, because 50km/h certainly does not feel like 50 in a city. And I have been more overwhelmed (even if only for a couple of laps) by the speed in a new 2D-F1 game after long time of not racing, then driving formula A in the rift now. Well, I have to try those point to point tracks, it seems.

Still though, it's just great, engaging and impressive either way! :) I can't imagine how this must be while experiencing true presence.

Ramjet
31-08-2015, 11:42
@Kunal_Racedriver : I was rifting pCars for the past year since dk2 release using 2x970 SLi and it was utterly brilliant, like others here I could never go back to the Triples for racing sims let alone a single screen. Once you are used to VR it is just incredible, I am still gobsmacked at times. I just swapped my two 970's for a 980Ti and it is killer imho, the Giga G1 version overclocks huge and is a beast. Somebody said they noticed little going from 780 to 980 on Dirt Rally, well I can tell you that from 970 that was a huge leap for me and I have it running a dream now. ETS2 and Assetto also run beautifully but I have stuck to Oculus Runtime 6.01

pCars is another story and I won't bore you with my utter disappointment at it's current state. I have shelved it until the 'promised' patch fixes ever arrive, which I have begun to seriously doubt. But meanwhile Assetto & dRally are both fantastic. Drove Lake Louise beta 2.4 yesterday and was amazed at how brilliant that is in VR. Things will get much better all around come cv1 so if you can wait then wait. I also play EliteD but haven't flown for awhile.

FWIW my opinion re the graphics card is hang on to your 970 now and get a 980Ti when you buy an Oculus Rift ~ dont get a Vive as it will not be as good, just my considered opine but I know I am right ! :tongue-new: Whatever, but having enjoyed sli 970's I would also say do not get an extra 970 but rather sell the one you own for the 980Ti at the right time because they may also come down a little in cost (mind you the 970's have held their exact price point here in Oz for last 12 mths and even went up for awhile). Oh and the i7-2600k still holds its own - mine has been running at 4.7ghz since Feb 2011 and never missed a beat - the gap to the newer processors in practical use of sim racers is not a large as some people will have you think. My upgrade to a 6 core Haswell will be next year when cv1 launches. All of these VR shennanigans should look a lot less fuzzy over the next 3 to 6 months :peach:

Kunal_Racedriver
31-08-2015, 18:27
Thanks for sharing Ramjet. I was about to buy extra monitors but not now. Will be saving that for Oculus Rift.
I am still running on an outdated 560ti:D, not a 970. So if two 970s are not better than 980ti, then I guess there is no point in buying 3.5 gb 970 early on for Oculus. If my work is hindered and I have cash to spend, I might upgrade to 980ti as I don't think pascal will be available anywhere near the consumer VR.

Ramjet
01-09-2015, 03:43
Yeah sorry misunderstood, ok I went from sli 560's to 780ti to sli 970's all within a year ! grafixcard fever :torn: Look, I could have kept sli 970's happily, for many other games you will get marginally higher frames than the 980ti, but the kicker for me was that Oculus direct mode doesn't work in Sli. Of course win10 + Runtime 0.7 + Gameworks VR-SLi will change that - but for now, and arguably always, a single gpu solution is generally your best option.

Once all this VR caper really kicks off and becomes mainstream, you will see gpu prices head south, most certainly when Pascall launches. But meanwhile you can always speculate about that better gpu "on the horizon". I can assure you that if you jump from the 560ti to the 980ti you WILL see an amazing leap in speed etc.

Oh and for the love of all things octane... overclock the buggery out of that feckin' 2600 man !!! ~ that mobo is just made for it ;)

Kunal_Racedriver
01-09-2015, 06:11
Oh and for the love of all things octane... overclock the buggery out of that feckin' 2600 man !!! ~ that mobo is just made for it ;)

Any tips or links for dummies :p I saw there is a simple multiplier in Bios and TouchBios app to overclock, but I am not aware of mem and other voltage related issues

Ramjet
01-09-2015, 08:48
There's heaps of oc guides around & I took a quick look at this thread www.overclock.net/t/1184756/i7-2600k-gigabyte-z68x-ud3h-b3-overclock and it is full of really good info/advice, I would go for 4.4 or 4.5ghz as a safe & easy overclock.

Do go read a few guides for some background on how & why it works and then take a look at this video www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSDtMzf_EaE - he does waffle a bit & I would not advise going to 5.0ghz but it will give you some idea. Basically the i7-2600k was notorious for how good an overclocker it is, not all will run as stable as mine at 4.7ghz - I had mine running fine at 4.8 but the diff was barely noticeable. Anyway 4.5 is easily doable/stable and you have a very good mobo so it is pretty much bullet-proof (famous last words!):stupid:

cluck
01-09-2015, 09:22
I was at the WEC 6 hours of Nürburgring this past weekend and, whilst there, treated my host (and 2 more passengers) to 2 laps of the mighty Nordschleife. Before you stop reading, there is a point to this post :D. The previous evening, we had stood at Brünnchen, to watch some cars go past, and couldn't believe how steep it was, looking back up towards Eschbach (it really is incredibly - almost terrifyingly - steep to look at from that position :o). However, once in car, it appeared nothing like as steep and was, put simply, far more like it appears in the Rift. I can't say that the Rift provides a 100% accurate view, but it's really not far off at all and, as I previously mentioned, it's the closest I've experienced to the real thing.