PDA

View Full Version : Audi 90 quattro help (KERS)

ian2726
24-08-2015, 16:03
How do you use the bloody kers?
It's got the battery icon I press the kers button and nothing. Any help appreciated.

TheReaper GT
24-08-2015, 16:04
How do you use the bloody kers?
It's got the battery icon I press the kers button and nothing. Any help appreciated.

There's no kers. The car is from 89. SMS used the in game hybrid system to emulate the quattro AWD system.They should remove the icon.

ian2726
24-08-2015, 16:11
Cheers.
I did think it was too old for kers. But they put they icon there so I thought it had it.

TheReaper GT
24-08-2015, 16:12
Cheers.
I did think it was too old for kers. But they put they icon there so I thought it had it.

Yeah, the icon is very deceiving. I can understand the reason to use the hybrid system but the icon has to go.

senn
25-08-2015, 01:01
What was the reason for using the hybrid system? we have full mechanical AWD cars in game already, what makes this car different?

Mahjik
25-08-2015, 01:16
What was the reason for using the hybrid system? we have full mechanical AWD cars in game already, what makes this car different?

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?36519-What-is-this-OSD-icon-for&p=1073418&viewfull=1#post1073418

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
25-08-2015, 07:12
Yep. Basically most of the AWD cars in-game are handled with a standard mechanical center diff, which has a 50:50 torque split (but it can vary a bit in practice depending on the diff lock settings), but the active torque biasing in the R8 V10+ and the 90 quattro IMSA GTO required something more dynamic.

And before anyone asks: The Evo doesn't have torque biasing center diff in real life either, it's 50:50 torque split always, but it does have active locking behavior. This is a common misconception.

Invincible
25-08-2015, 07:34
Jussi, you're not a car / race engineer by any chance? :p

Your knowlegde on this matter is always astonishing.

25-08-2015, 09:59
Jussi, you're not a car / race engineer by any chance? :p

Your knowlegde on this matter is always astonishing.Nah, CS major. Just a massive car nerd, a sim racer for over two decades, and happily in possession of a mind that by chance seems suited to working stuff like this out. =)

EDIT: Also my Google Fu is fairly strong.

danowat
25-08-2015, 10:19
And before anyone asks: The Evo doesn't have torque biasing center diff in real life either, it's 50:50 torque split always, but it does have active locking behavior. This is a common misconception.

Blame Mitsubishi for using a misleading nomenclature, ACD (Active Centre Differential) gives the impression to the layman that it is indeed a torque vectoring / biasing device.

Invincible
25-08-2015, 10:19
Well, being a car nerd isn't the only thing needed to show a skill level like yours. I, for example, consider myself a car nerd too, but still I suck at figuring out setup problems.

I even tried it on my real car too, which I equipped with an adjustable suspension. And all I've got was an undriveable pile of sh... So I hat to reset to standard values and have it adjusted by a tuning company.

25-08-2015, 10:57
Well, being a car nerd isn't the only thing needed to show a skill level like yours. I, for example, consider myself a car nerd too, but still I suck at figuring out setup problems.

I even tried it on my real car too, which I equipped with an adjustable suspension. And all I've got was an undriveable pile of sh... So I hat to reset to standard values and have it adjusted by a tuning company.That's where the "happily in possession of a mind that by chance seems suited to working stuff like this out" which more or less means "analytical, more or less rational, good at connecting dots and working out systems like these, with heavy disposition towards wanting to figure things out and learn everything about them".

Grijo
25-08-2015, 13:13
Hey Jussi, maybe you´re like Jesse in Fast & Furious!!!

pigsy
25-08-2015, 13:27
Slightly off topic but if SMS were to add the new Focus RS AWD to their game arsenal how would they implement their AWD system? It looks rather interesting. http://oppositelock.kinja.com/heres-how-the-focus-rs-awd-system-works-1683508180

TheReaper GT
25-08-2015, 13:30
Slightly off topic but if SMS were to add the new Focus RS AWD to their game arsenal how would they implement their AWD system? It looks rather interesting. http://oppositelock.kinja.com/heres-how-the-focus-rs-awd-system-works-1683508180

I think they'll use kers to emulate any torque vectoring system

25-08-2015, 17:20
My guess? They'd do the 50:50 mechanical, like they did with the A45 AMG. The system can't do lateral torque vectoring, and it isn't really capable of the massive torque biasing ranges that a system like Haldex or the Focus RS system (which sounds like it's likely a new, modified Haldex system) can pull off. The A45 for example is essentially FWD until you start pushing, at which point it diverts torque to the rear as well, up to 50% or so. The Ford system can apparently go even more than that*, making it even trickier for the kers system to pull off. A system as complex as this would really need a new diff model altogether, which probably isn't in the cards as an update for pCARS anymore...