PDA

View Full Version : Should I pull the trigger?

kerrycorcoran
24-08-2015, 18:05
Currently using a (new) Thrustmaster T80 w/ PlayStation 4 for Project Cars. Just got the game/wheel about a week ago. The problem I have is I am addicted to this game and the online racing. Great thing is I found a League to encourages clean racing and these guys have already helped me tremendously at getting my speed and control up.

The question I have is a lot of the guys keep mentioning how much they like FFB and enjoy their Thrustmaster T300RS wheels. I am so close to buying the TS300 and a set of the TP3A Pro pedals.

I know my T80 works fine, but really want to see what the FFB is like.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Kerry

Kroegtijgertje
24-08-2015, 18:07
FFB adds much more realism to your gameplay!

maurice-pascale
24-08-2015, 18:59
Yeah, FFB is very powerfull and great....cant live without it anymore ^^

but buy when you want a Thrustmaste t300 ferrari challenge.....is much better price (i payed 80 € less then for the t300 rs), it looks better and got absolute the same things like the t300 rs

kerrycorcoran
24-08-2015, 19:02
Yeah, FFB is very powerfull and great....cant live without it anymore ^^

but buy when you want a Thrustmaste t300 ferrari challenge.....is much better price (i payed 80 € less then for the t300 rs), it looks better and got absolute the same things like the t300 rs

Can you send me the link of the model you're referring to? Will this model work with PS4?

Gavin Thomas
24-08-2015, 19:16
I couldn't imagine driving using a wheel without FFB, it would feel wrong!
You'll see what i mean when you pull that trigger and buy it, you'll wonder how you managed prior to your new purchase.

Sloskimo
24-08-2015, 19:26
Yeah, what people said, just go for it if you got the spare cash and you enjoy the game (any racing games really) it adds a lot. Also makes you faster once you get the hang of it, since you can actually feel what the car is doing up to some point, won't be like a real car, but the difference is night and day.

kerrycorcoran
24-08-2015, 19:35
Does anyone know if the Thrustmaster TX Ferrari is the same as the T300? There is a huge price difference so if they're the same I'd just get the Ferrari model if it is compatible with the PS4. Any help appreciated.

ceeece
24-08-2015, 20:40
I thought TX Ferrari was for the Xbox One and the T300 was for PS4. I could be wrong. I've been playing racing games for years (I'm more of a fan/casual player) until this year when I got Project Cars. This game demands a wheel and the FFB is Amazing on the T300. So much fun!!! I kinda wish I had an Xbox instead so I could have a wheel for both Project Cars and the forthcoming Forza 6. Oh, well. PC will keep me satisfied for a long time!

jeneric
24-08-2015, 20:41
Yup - For me it's a must, alongside my triple screens, Butt Kicker and 5.1 surround sound system. These all add greatly to the immersion of sim racing.

I have a Thrustmaster Tr500, with the standard GT and F1 rim. Love em both.

kerrycorcoran
24-08-2015, 20:48
Screw it - I pulled the trigger! My T300RS is on its way; hope to have it before the end of the week! Score!!

John Hargreaves
24-08-2015, 20:57
Attaboy

kerrycorcoran
24-08-2015, 20:59
Yea, lets just say I dropped too much $$$ today. Between my wheel (and TP3A Pro pedals), racing chair and plans (Richmotech RS500) the wife might put her foot in my @ss! Oh well, always better to ask for forgiveness versus permission. Hopefully she gets over it quickly as I'll need to go buy raw material for the rig build this weekend. :)

jeneric
24-08-2015, 21:10
Well done. I'm sure you're gonna love it.

John Hargreaves
24-08-2015, 21:16
Yea, lets just say I dropped too much $$$ today. Between my wheel (and TP3A Pro pedals), racing chair and plans (Richmotech RS500) the wife might put her foot in my @ss! Oh well, always better to ask for forgiveness versus permission. Hopefully she gets over it quickly as I'll need to go buy raw material for the rig build this weekend. :)

Yeah, it‘s always painful when they find out, but spend a while in the doghouse, show suitable remorse and then in a few days/weeks it‘ll blow over. And you‘ll still have your gear.

Fight-Test
24-08-2015, 21:33
Ur gonna love it. While ur on ricmotech look at the load cell for the pro pedals. I couldn't drive without it. I actually think they sell the pros with it already installed from ricmotech. Just don't tell wife.

I would never run a wheel without ffb now but the fastest guy I know runs the t80. Also alot of the top to guys turn ffb off so not nessesary to be fast but nessesary to have fun for sure.

kerrycorcoran
24-08-2015, 21:56
Ur gonna love it. While ur on ricmotech look at the load cell for the pro pedals.

I saw those on the site, but didn't know what it was or did. What is a load cell and what does it do?

hkraft300
25-08-2015, 01:15
Forget wheel advice... This is thread is full of good marriage advice for sim racing enthusiasts lol ;)

kerrycorcoran
26-08-2015, 02:52
Okay...gear should arrive tomorrow. Hoping to get in some practice laps tomorrow evening!!

kerrycorcoran
26-08-2015, 11:10
Checked the tracking a few minutes ago...should be here later today!! Its like Christmas!! ;)

kerrycorcoran
26-08-2015, 11:13
Not sure if I will spend the weekend testing out the wheel or starting the build on my Ricmetoch RS500 rig. Either way the wife is most likely going to be annoyed with me.

Dizeaz
26-08-2015, 12:13
That wife aggro is killer.. I'm still trying to guilt mine into "allowing" me to buy the wheel and pedal set up...haven't even conversed on the rig I'll need for it. It's bad when your 50 yr+ old Dad is getting his rig set up in his basements... here I am with a t-80 mounted on dining chair while I sit in a lawn chair!!! The old man smoked me at BH Indy last night in F Rookies...Maybe I can sell my wife on it being an issue of pride now.. LOL.

kerrycorcoran
27-08-2015, 04:49
Got the gear today and spent the evening practicing and getting acclimated to the FFB FFB makes a huge difference and realy add to the whole experience.

hkraft300
27-08-2015, 08:43
That's the ticket kerry!
Now go check out the Arduino Dashboard thread and other rig setups ;)

Gavin Thomas
27-08-2015, 09:20
Got the gear today and spent the evening practicing and getting acclimated to the FFB FFB makes a huge difference and realy add to the whole experience.

Told ya! you might be slower at first but, trust me the speed will come back with time.

When I first switched to an FFB wheel I dropped seconds on my lap times, felt like I was fighting the car even on straights lol
But soon it started coming back, I can safely say now I'm faster now than I was before it.

snorkpete
27-08-2015, 18:15
I'll tell you from now.... buy the TH8A shifter (I think you mentioned you already got the T3PA Pro pedals - which are awesome, btw).

The short version - I bought the T300RS, fell in love, had to buy the T3PA Pro pedals to get the clutch, and then had to buy the TH8A shifter to get the H-shifting.
(I use the word 'had' to mean - oh my god this is already awesome but would be even more awesome if i just got the next piece...)

So, my recommendation is to just take the hit and get all 3 up front. At least it's just one set of doghouse-ness to deal with with the wife, rather than 3.

The long version
I was in similar shoes to you in May.... In my case, i needed a replacement for my DFGT and i got really close to picking up the T100 - i actually had it on order from Amazon UK . I debated back and forth with myself and finally decided that if i was going to spend, i might as well buy the best wheel in the price category, so i cancelled that order and ordered the T300RS, again from Amazon UK. Keep in mind that i'm from the Caribbean, so i'm usually using Amazon US. So, i bought the wheel from Amazon UK, and had to buy a transformer for it to ensure i didn't run into voltage issues.

So, i got it, i loved it and it was awesome....

But these stupid forums kept mentioning how the braking was so much better with the brake mod with the T3PA's - and that started the whole debate process over again about whether to spend another 150 to replace pedals that i already had.

Ended up spending the money to get the T3PA Pros and initially had serious growing pains from having to deal with a clutch for the first time. Regretted the purchase a lot in the first couple of hours until i got used to it and completely fell in love.

But these stupid forums kept mentioning how the awesome it was to shift with an H-pattern shifter - and that started the whole debate process over again about whether to spend another 150 to add a shifter to replace the perfectly usable paddle shifters.

Ended up spending the money to get the TH8A shifter and initially had serious growing pains from having to deal with a separate shifter for the first time. Didn't quite regret the purchase this time, but did spend a few hours getting used to it. I unfortunately did that with the Formula Rookie car (awesome car, btw), which only had 4 gears, so when i switched to GT5, i couldn't shift to 5th gear properly and had to get used that over a couple of hours.

If i had to do it all over, i'd just make the jump and get used to everything all at once.

But in any case, Now, it's all instinctive, and i love every bit of my new setup. But these stupid forums keep mentioning full sim cockpits......

hkraft300
28-08-2015, 00:05
Sim rigs with those rumble things on each corner to give you feedback from each tire straight to your spine...

kerrycorcoran
28-08-2015, 03:32
But these stupid forums keep mentioning full sim cockpits......

I couldn't agree more. I am looking at the shifter...who am I kidding - I know I'll order it.

kerrycorcoran
28-08-2015, 04:05
Yup, ordered the shifter. According to Amazon should be here by Saturday!

toxicfiend
28-08-2015, 13:59
you wont regret getting a wheel as i find it is just awesome and this is my first real racing game and i am addicted to playing it and the wheel is the only way for me.I have an xbox1 as well so i will be getting this game on there later so will need a wheel for it as well it is just a great game.

snorkpete
28-08-2015, 15:16
forgot to mention that you'll need something to mount the shifter to... mounting it to a desk at the same level as the wheel isn't quite so appealing - it puts the shifter a bit too high.

I use a modified folding desk (with some extra wood on the base of it for stability) and i used 4 angle mounting brackets bolted together to form two 'z's and then attached to the bottom of the desk to provide a lower mounting point for the shifter. Now, it's at just the right height (i can shift while resting my elbow on the arm of my computer chair)

I'm so tempted to get a gt omega wheel stand, but after spending over $700 for the wheel, pedals, shifter and transformer, i think i need to give the poor wife a break.