PDA

View Full Version : How much internet bandwith do i need to play nultiplayer and what speed

hbc865
24-08-2015, 23:50
my cars seem a bit slow when I play in multiplayer mode, do I need more bandwidth ?

OpticalHercules
25-08-2015, 01:32
You should be fine joining games. Hosting those along with running any other streaming services in the house may be a bit much.

That speed test stuff is kind of misleading. It's not testing how fast your data is moving. It's testing how much data can be moved at once. Actual speed is shown in ping rates, or ms delay, not Mbps/Kbps.

ISP's love to mislead you on what you are actually buying. Comcast will love to sell you a 50Mbps down connection, and if you complain enough about it they will throw in a free wireless router (if you don't have the router/modem combo). Only problem is, unless you're using Wireless N, the wireless router is incapable of delivering all the data that your connection is capable of. Your system should always be connected Wired instead of Wireless for this reason. Wireless automatically has increased ping rates and less maximum bandwidth than wired, though it is enough for most things, including gaming. It's just that little bit of additional lag that matters.

Beltoon
25-08-2015, 01:43
As OpticalHercules says, it's all about the ping.

I always check my connection at Speedtest.net

My connection on a server near my area:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4608499104.png

hbc865
25-08-2015, 02:04
You should be fine joining games. Hosting those along with running any other streaming services in the house may be a bit much.

That speed test stuff is kind of misleading. It's not testing how fast your data is moving. It's testing how much data can be moved at once. Actual speed is shown in ping rates, or ms delay, not Mbps/Kbps.

ISP's love to mislead you on what you are actually buying. Comcast will love to sell you a 50Mbps down connection, and if you complain enough about it they will throw in a free wireless router (if you don't have the router/modem combo). Only problem is, unless you're using Wireless N, the wireless router is incapable of delivering all the data that your connection is capable of. Your system should always be connected Wired instead of Wireless for this reason. Wireless automatically has increased ping rates and less maximum bandwidth than wired, though it is enough for most things, including gaming. It's just that little bit of additional lag that matters.

Yes, my Xbox1 is wired in via cat5 cable, I have Time Warner internet service here in So Cal, and only pay for the minimum service and not sure what speed 1.5 or 3Mbps and using a separate cable modem, I had to provide my own wireless router, I'm just using a Trendnet 4port wireless N 300Mbps with it.

Also In the multiplayer mode in the Lobby, I can see everyone else's PING status but not mine

STEELJOCKEY
25-08-2015, 03:18
Also In the multiplayer mode in the Lobby, I can see everyone else's PING status but not mine

That shows how good other connectios are to you, so of course you can't see how good your connection is to yourself

hbc865
25-08-2015, 03:26
That shows how good other connectios are to you, so of course you can't see how good your connection is to yourself

IC.. so if the pings are in the RED or Yellow not very good :confused:

OpticalHercules
25-08-2015, 04:36
Yes, my Xbox1 is wired in via cat5 cable, I have Time Warner internet service here in So Cal, and only pay for the minimum service and not sure what speed 1.5 or 3Mbps and using a separate cable modem, I had to provide my own wireless router, I'm just using a Trendnet 4port wireless N 300Mbps with it.

What you're paying for is a 15Mbps download, 1.5Mbps Upload connection, and your speedtest is accurate for that level of service. You always get measured rates of 10-25% less than what is advertised.

From what you've said, there is nothing more you can do to improve your connection besides digging into Router settings, setting up static IP's and either port forwarding or DMZ, and that may or may not give you noticeable benefits. The key for bandwidth here is your upload speed. You have enough to join a game and enjoy it, but probably not enough to host a large lobby while in chat and/or skype, and definitely not while anyone else on your connection is streaming anything such as youtube, netflix, or even Pandora.

The real test for you would be to open command prompt (start button, search, type in 'cmd' and hit enter), then type in 'ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' where the x's are some Microsoft Live-relevant server address. If anyone could provide a good ping address to MS, I'd appreciate it. All of my searches fail, so I usually just test to google's DNS servers at 8.8.8.8. But that's not very accurate to Microsoft.

I used to use Roadrunner years ago when I lived in Lake Elsinore, in SoCal, was only a 5M/768K connection back then, but I had very few problems with it. Since moving to Fresno and having to switch to Comsuck, I had problem after problem until some drunkard took out the street-side network rack with his car one night. 2 days of no net while they fixed it, then magically 2 years of arguing with tech support resolved itself.

nissan4ever
25-08-2015, 05:42
Your ping is what's important. The lower the better. Some folks have said, 100ms & lower ping is what you want. Personally, I'd want my ping in the 1ms-35ms range.

For example, I can see how the traffic is running with my router (see my sig. I love that router, especially after latest firmware in May). On FM5 while playing online, you need about 350kbps-400kbps up & down. Most games need less than that. Your ping is what's so important! Especially if you are into FPS, you need killer/low ping.

In a few mins, I'll go online on Project CARS & see how much bandwith it needs for multiplayer. I've never bothered to see exactly what it uses.

Edit: Project CARS uses around 20kbps upload & download during racing with people in the lobby with you. If you are alone in the lobby waiting for people to join, it uses even less. Going from qualify to race, I observed upload jump to 400kbps briefly. Then back to the 20kbps range during race.

OpticalHercules
25-08-2015, 14:32
Your ping is what's important. The lower the better. Some folks have said, 100ms & lower ping is what you want. Personally, I'd want my ping in the 1ms-35ms range.

Edit: Project CARS uses around 20kbps upload & download during racing with people in the lobby with you. If you are alone in the lobby waiting for people to join, it uses even less. Going from qualify to race, I observed upload jump to 400kbps briefly. Then back to the 20kbps range during race.

I agree on the <35ms ping rate being optimal. >80ms is mediocre for games requiring instant reactions such as FPS, and to a slightly lesser extent, racers.

On your bandwidth usage test, were you hosting the game or just joining a lobby, and with how many people. I'm running on a Cisco E2500. Not an amazing router, but good enough for wired networking and allows multiple DMZ addresses which I need for home-based business servers. I'm curious if that usage rate increases sharply when you're hosting a game, and whether the rate increases exponentially the more people involved in a race whether you are hosting or not. Also, if it makes a difference how many cars are visible on your screen when the reading is done.

nissan4ever
25-08-2015, 15:36
I created a lobby. I had a 15 min practice session & 7 lap race. I was alone until 3 mins left. That's when someone joined. So I'm pretty sure I was host. It was only our 2 cars. Shouldn't matter if more people where there. You just need to send out your info & receive (bandwith usage shouldn't change).

My router has a network screen & I can see exactly what all my devices are doing. With streamboost, it makes sure the bandwidth is distributed accordingly based off of device priority. It works & is cool. D-Link DGL 5500 Gaming Router is what I got.

FoxMulder
25-08-2015, 16:03
The faster the internet the better/faster you are in online games, that's a known fact.

OpticalHercules
25-08-2015, 16:30
The faster the internet the better/faster you are in online games, that's a known fact.

No, it's not.

The internet speed you're paying for, commonly called "faster", is rated not by how fast the data actually moved, but by how much data can be moved at once.

All other things being equal (same modem, router, computer, distance to ISP, ISP, distance to L3 hub, etc), someone paying for a 5mbps connection and someone paying for a 100mbps connection will get the exact same results if the data demand is as low as Nissan is saying, ~20kbps.

You aren't paying for a faster flowing pipe, you're paying for a bigger diameter pipe.

So long as the connection you are paying for is capable of moving the data demand per second, the only way to make your connection "faster" is by checking your ping rates and traceroutes, then dealing with your ISP to improve those areas that need to be improved, if they can be. There is often nothing anyone can do inside their own home to increase the actual speed of their data transfer, only how much data can be moved in any given instant. If the game doesn't need 1Mb to be transfered in 1 second, then having a 100Mbps connection will benefit you no more than having a 5Mbps connection.

nissan4ever
25-08-2015, 18:46

Pretty much all video games use 500kbps or lower to play online up & down. Most are 100kbps or lower. Having 100mbps down & 5mbps up does nothing for playing games online. Having an extremely low ping is very important, lower than 35ms is best. Having fast speeds are good for downloads & streaming.

Sampo
25-08-2015, 18:55
I want to add that it doesn't matter how fast your internet speed is if the person acting as the host has a bad connection to you. Also, you might get a great result with a speed test, but that is just for the connection to that particular point. The connections to other players vary by distance, infrastructure, time, weather, luck, and so on.

nissan4ever
25-08-2015, 18:59
as low as Nissan is saying, ~20kbps.

It's what I did observe. Here's a screen shot of streaming Netflix on my Xbox One. My DSL is 10mb down & 750kb up (until I get faster cable Internet tomorrow :)).

As you can see, my DGL 5500 Gaming Router is letting my Xbox One pull Netflix stream at 9.43mbps down. Yes I have 10mbps, however my streamboost controls my devices bandwith. It's leaving a tad left for my other devices incase they need to talk to Internet (because of apps or something. If other devices need more, streamboost adjusts accordingly, but Xbox One gets most).

This is the screen I was looking at earlier when I was online racing on Project CARS. The data transfer rate was 20kbps range. Going from qualify to race had one spike at 400kbps.

OpticalHercules
25-08-2015, 19:52
Even with your image showing Netflix pulling nearly 10Mbps Down, but only 167Kbps up, if you had a 15Mbps down connection and were able to throttle Netflix to a 10Mbps limit (which you can by adjusting packet priority and video quality), there would be almost zero impact on your multiplayer gaming experience while simultaneously watching whatever Netflix tells you to watch at that given moment. Gaming is more tied to your upload speed than your download.

It's a very common misconception that is perpetuated by the large ISP's that More = Better. It's not true. If you only have 1 pc, 1 xbox, and one or two handhelds in a house, and never stream more than one thing at a time, there is nearly no benefit at all to paying for >20Mbps connection. While most modern wireless devices are capable of 802.11G (54Mbps down), most of those devices can't even process that much data at once and throttle themselves. Estimating 10Mbps per device is a very generous baseline for what you should be paying for. The only reason to be paying for more than whatever your local ISP's basic package provides (25 or 50mbps for comcast in my area), is if you have many devices and/or devices that require a constant large amount of bandwidth available no matter what else is going on on the line, such as hosting a VPN server or localhosting a web server.

No matter how much money you are willing to pay for your internet connection, no dollar amount can increase or slow down the speed that data actually moves from point A to point B. It all depends on the infrastructure in between those two points. A 1.5Mbps phone line DSL connection moves the same packet of data at the same speed from place to place as a 100+Mbps cable or Fiber connection. All you are paying for is how much data can be moved at once. As Nissan has stated above, one xbox-live connection does not even come close to touching even the most basic broadband connection caps so long as no other devices are active on that line at once.

nissan4ever
25-08-2015, 20:45
This is a shot of Xbox One, my tablet & wife's tablet all streaming video. Xbox One is Netflix. The 2 tablets are YouTube. As you can see, Xbox One still gets most bandwith. Followed by my tablet, then my wife's tablet. This particular pic shows a total of 8.88 mbps down total. Of course, it goes into the 9 mbps range. Just not in this particular screen shot. This is why I love my router. Especially when you got limited bandwith to work with. Like my 10 mbps down speed (for now). No one device will flat out be a bandwith hog (a regular run of the mill router doesn't separate devices like this. It would let one device be a hog & cause other devices on your network to perform poorly.).

Now of course, if I was playing a multiplayer game on my Xbox One, then it would use the least amount of bandwith. Seeing how it would need less than 500kbps to play any game online. While both tablets would get more than they did in this pic, if they both were still streaming YouTube. So both tablets would probably be around 4 mbps each. While Xbox One uses 500kbps or less up/down for multiplayer. I should have initially used this pic. I wanted to show how my streamboost works on my router.

As far as separating available bandwith to my devices, without one being a hog. Which would cause other devices to perform extremely poorly, with lots of buffering (especially if all devices trying to stream video at the same time). The following pic shows how I set my priorities up for the devices.

Also, my router is AC1300. I get up to 850 mbps on 5 ghz & up to 450 mbps on 2.4 ghz. Which is nice when transferring stuff between my devices using WiFi direct. Very fast. This pic shows my cell phone link speed on the 5ghz band.

The main reason why I'm getting way faster internet tomorrow is for when I download games. I'm strictly digital this gen. I want games I decide to purchase to be pulled real fast. I don't like 11 hrs for a 50 GB game with my current Internet speeds. 1 hr sounds so much better for same game size file (or 30 mins for 25 GB). The other factor is for steaming. My current 750kbps doesn't cut it with streaming (usual streaming at 500kbps :(). I want the higher upload speed for streaming on twitch. 4mbps will fix that. So I'll able to stream & play online at the same time, no problem (couldn't do that with FM5 with my current terrible upload speed. Game would lag so bad & twitch stream was in the toilet).

Dynomight Motorsports
26-08-2015, 00:03
that sucks.. my ping fluctuates from 25-28ms Of course I'm testing on my wireless connected Laptop. Is there a way to test the Xbox console on the console?

OpticalHercules
26-08-2015, 01:08
Wireless in your range is actually really good depending on where you're pinging.

On XBone, go to Settings >> Network >> Detailed Network Statistics then wait a minute or two. It will pop up all that data after it self-tests.

hbc865
26-08-2015, 02:37
Thank you for all your input on this subject, I made a phone call to my ISP (Time Warner) and told them about my provision on my internet speed being a bit slow when gaming or even on Netflix instead of selling me to the next tier and pay 40 bucks more, the rep is going to send me a new cable modem at no charge he said the one I have is about 10 years old. will see if this will improve it :)

nissan4ever
26-08-2015, 04:43
Thank you for all your input on this subject, I made a phone call to my ISP (Time Warner) and told them about my provision on my internet speed being a bit slow when gaming or even on Netflix instead of selling me to the next tier and pay 40 bucks more, the rep is going to send me a new cable modem at no charge he said the one I have is about 10 years old. will see if this will improve it :)

Oh yeah, that makes a difference! That happened to my mom with her old DSL modem years ago. The phone company never bothered to tell her she needed the newer modem model. Until I started investigating why her internet was real slow. When I called them, they realized she had an extremely out of date modem :) sent her new one. Helped her speed. She started to get what she was paying for.

nissan4ever
26-08-2015, 05:10
As OpticalHercules says, it's all about the ping.

I always check my connection at Speedtest.net

My connection on a server near my area:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/4608499104.png

Don't forget about http://www.pingtest.net as well. Need more people to use that one to. Same folks who do Speedtest.net.

CPU M Rossi
26-08-2015, 05:59
Later today, after I get my new internet. I'm going to post a new screen shot. I'll have 2 tablets, wife cell phone, PC & my DirecTv genie all streaming video. While I'll have my Xbox One online playing Project CARS multiplayer. Picture will be up 15/17 hrs from now.

I'm guessing my router will have my devices using around 11.5 mbps each for streaming their video content (in descending order for bandwith allotment). While Xbox One will be definitely using under 500kbps for Project CARS. I'll also report my new ping as well.
yeah multiplayer doesn't take much bandwidth I manage to play online with my 1mbps to 2mbps (mb being megabite) internet. Now if I forget to filter mac addresses and someone starts web surfing forget it lag city.

OpticalHercules
26-08-2015, 15:03
yeah multiplayer doesn't take much bandwidth I manage to play online with my 1mbps to 2mbps (mb being megabite) internet. Now if I forget to filter mac addresses and someone starts web surfing forget it lag city.

Not to be a tech nazi, but also remember that Mbps (common internet connection rating) is different than MBps. A 50 Mbps (Mega Bit Per Second) connection is only capable of downloading approximately 6.25 MBps (Mega Byte Per Second). Take whatever rated connection you are paying for, and divide it by 8 to get the common data-size rating in speed for your network.

nissan4ever
26-08-2015, 15:34
This is what my current DSL internet does, hardwired.

Definitely looking forward to my upgrade, soon. Ready to stream on twitch, with much better quality.

OpticalHercules
26-08-2015, 15:46
http://www.speedtest.net/result/4612854532.png (http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4612854532)
My Upload is way low, I should be getting in the 25Mbps range. Think comcast is mad at me a little behind on my bill.

CPU M Rossi
26-08-2015, 17:23
Not to be a tech nazi, but also remember that Mbps (common internet connection rating) is different than MBps. A 50 Mbps (Mega Bit Per Second) connection is only capable of downloading approximately 6.25 MBps (Mega Byte Per Second). Take whatever rated connection you are paying for, and divide it by 8 to get the common data-size rating in speed for your network.
but i said it was megabit not megabyte

OpticalHercules
26-08-2015, 17:53
but i said it was megabit not megabyte

Oh I was just throwing that out there, not really meant to correct you.

Though you did say "Megabite", not megabit or megabyte, so there was room for confusion.

hbc865
27-08-2015, 00:31
My laptop wired in

Dynomight Motorsports
27-08-2015, 00:36
Strange thing, so I tested mine last night. I first when to the closest server which is Atlanta GA (I'm in Columbia SC). That had the worst Download and Ping out of all the servers 10.93 Dwn 2.4 Up 45ms Ping. Then I went to Washington DC and got exactly what I pay for with a 29ms ping. So I tested all the other servers and got the proper Up and Down speeds, but the Ping was pretty bad. 89ms for London UK. 93ms for Sydney AU. I'm on a wired network.

OpticalHercules
27-08-2015, 01:29
Strange thing, so I tested mine last night. I first when to the closest server which is Atlanta GA (I'm in Columbia SC). That had the worst Download and Ping out of all the servers 10.93 Dwn 2.4 Up 45ms Ping. Then I went to Washington DC and got exactly what I pay for with a 29ms ping. So I tested all the other servers and got the proper Up and Down speeds, but the Ping was pretty bad. 89ms for London UK. 93ms for Sydney AU. I'm on a wired network.

Even though Atlanta servers may be physically closer to you, run a Tracert to see where your data is actually being routed. It may be going up to Washington before it goes back down to Atlanta. I'm in Fresno, CA, about midway between Los Angeles and San Francisco/San Jose, but because of my ISP all my traffic is routed up to San Jose before being routed back south to Los Angeles/Riverside area when I'm in party with people down there.

nissan4ever
31-08-2015, 05:42
Here's my http://pingtest.net results (was on wifi, 50 ft from my router).

d4ninho
31-08-2015, 11:59
Sorry to rain on your parade but your all wrong.

Yes your ping matters if your connecting to a game server, and then so does your upload but sadly this game runs on p2p network which means you will need to connect to the host, which also means that one bad connection screws up the whole lobby.

If you have 10 in your lobby and they all have ping under 10, yet one guys ping is high (another country or poor net) then the delay in the host getting the info impacts all drivers and will cause skipping,lag or sound glitches as the info is sent at a different speed therefore holding up the game for the others.

In this day and age p2p should not be used for gaming yet companies use this method to save cash as they do not need to buy servers, Forza has servers hence the reason there game run better.
With the funding Pcars secured they should have bought servers as any game without them theses days should be cast aside as multiplayer will always be a problem, this is NEXT GEN apparently and we should expect servers.

nissan4ever
31-08-2015, 12:36
^^^ Doesn't matter if it's COD or Project CARS. The people with good ping to the host will run nice & smooth. Anyone with a bad ping will lag (seen my fair share of 1 or 2 people lagging online in COD over the years with a bad ping. Yet, rest of lobby runs fine). I know Project CARS is p2p.

What it boils down to is this. COD & Project CARS shows a ping bar. If you aren't 3 or 4 bars, You need to find another lobby. In regards to Project CARS, you can't see your ping. However, you see the rest of the lobby. If you see nothing but red 1 bar or 2 bars on everyone else. You need to find another lobby.

Example, COD WAW. I loved that game. If I went into a lobby & only had 2 or 1 bars, I would leave it in a heart beat (hard to kill folks with a bad connection ping that bad). I stayed in lobbies when I had 4 or 3 bar ping.

Yet, there are plenty of people that don't know any better & they will stay in a COD lobby with 1 or 2 bar ping. Then they wonder why they only had a couple kills & a bunch of deaths.

This is something I noticed on COD Black Ops 3 beta
Sorry it's sideways :)

Beltoon
31-08-2015, 15:59
Don't forget about http://www.pingtest.net as well. Need more people to use that one to. Same folks who do Speedtest.net.

Never heard of ping test. Gave it a try.

http://www.pingtest.net/result/129961444.png

How muc jitter is viable. Here it's 3ms but on the 2nd test it went up to 12ms.

Psychomatrix
31-08-2015, 16:22
The ping on my notebook are 19ms but the server for test was only 50 km away. The xbox one ping is 177 because the server are minimun 6200 km away (new york) or maybe seattle lol. Im pretty sure that the ping test servers are in the us. Otherwise I can't explain myself why I have 19 ms on notebook wireless and 177 ms on xbox wired. Everybody I asked in germany have that high ping on the xbox one.
But doesn't mean that the gameservers are based in u.s. too.

nissan4ever
31-08-2015, 17:13
Never heard of ping test. Gave it a try.

http://www.pingtest.net/result/129961444.png

How muc jitter is viable. Here it's 3ms but on the 2nd test it went up to 12ms.

If you want to test packet lost (it didn't during your test), you need to update java on your PC. Also, you need to be on IE instead of Chrome (java related).

nissan4ever
01-09-2015, 18:23
I've been running some test with p2p connections. Great thing about my router is I can monitor traffic. This is what I observed.

With games that have p2p connections, if you are host. You run in the 150kbps - 450kbps range while the match is going. In between rounds in the lobby you hang around 20kbps - 80kbps. This goes for upload & download. Being the host was observed on COD Black Ops 1.

If you are not the host, during the round. You only use 15kbps - 40kbps. That's it. This has been observed on COD Black Ops 1 & Project CARS.

OpticalHercules
07-09-2015, 00:43
So I just realized that my old Cisco(linksys) E2500 router was not gigabit capable, yet I had been paying for >100mb service. I'm a fool. Ran to local OfficeMax and just picked up the Dlink DIR-850L, and am already amazed. It looks to be one step down from your "gaming" model, Nissan, only lacking apparently that traffic monitor you have. Expected to pay $99, but was on unmarked sale for $69.99 and was not about to complain.

5 minutes of setup changed my old speedtest to this:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/4642480499.png (http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4642480499)

I have called comcast, and apparently 10 mbps upload is their normal package for my region, though I could have sworn I was getting 15+ 18 months ago. And as small as the difference in numbers seems, going from 24 to 20 ms ping is still an 18% improvement.

I do remember a long time ago researching that E2500 router and reading that it was supposed to be quite good. Funny how most of the reviews I read now regard it as junk, and I agree. Had I known about it, just the difference in user interface would have been enough to get me to switch.

nissan4ever
07-09-2015, 01:04
Good to hear OpticalHercules :)
That is basically a x2 improvement for you.

I now do have a gigabyte cat 6 cable running from my Xbox One to my router as well (finally got it hardwired, instead of wifi).