PDA

View Full Version : [ANSWERED] AI has no lights on in the rain

stangnutlx
25-08-2015, 14:46
Anyway this can be fixed before next patch? Not sure how it got missed in the previous ones..

Sankyo
25-08-2015, 14:51
Anyway this can be fixed before next patch? Not sure how it got missed in the previous ones..

This has been a topic of long discussion during development already. It wasn't missed, it was a performance decision as calculating reflections isn't free w.r.t. CPU load. Light reflections at night is less of a problem because other light sources are absent then.

stangnutlx
25-08-2015, 14:55
Ah I see

mcarver2000
25-08-2015, 15:06
Lights with no reflections are better than no lights at all ...

Mahjik
25-08-2015, 15:13
It's been requested:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?28868-AI-Lights

Post in the above thread so SMS can see the desire for this feature.

stangnutlx
25-08-2015, 15:28
That's too bad, it's hard to see traffic in front of you in the rain under braking

Robert Dibley
25-08-2015, 15:46
That's too bad, it's hard to see traffic in front of you in the rain under braking

Surely under braking you would see brake lights ?
I know in my experience of driving in the rain during the day, cars with headlights on are practically invisible ahead of you because the spray easily masks the tiny amount of light coming from the rear driving lights, but as soon as they touch the brakes they are very visible.

The cars behind you are a different matter of course, and I understand the logic behind wanting them to put their lights on, even though it's not something we can do in this project because it would require too much change to the underlying systems.

Making such major changes is always dangerous in a game which has launched because of the risk of adding new bugs, whereas adding it to future projects is a much safer prospect because there is a lot more time to check for bugs and deal with any issues that arise.

Cholton82
25-08-2015, 15:49
What if they were to use a simple but bright rain light on the rear , also headlights in the rear view mirror are way to dim .

M4MKey
25-08-2015, 16:20
Surely under braking you would see brake lights ?
I know in my experience of driving in the rain during the day, cars with headlights on are practically invisible ahead of you because the spray easily masks the tiny amount of light coming from the rear driving lights, but as soon as they touch the brakes they are very visible.

The cars behind you are a different matter of course, and I understand the logic behind wanting them to put their lights on, even though it's not something we can do in this project because it would require too much change to the underlying systems.

Making such major changes is always dangerous in a game which has launched because of the risk of adding new bugs, whereas adding it to future projects is a much safer prospect because there is a lot more time to check for bugs and deal with any issues that arise.

Hmmm sorry but I don't understand how much changes it would require except from a single value in the .wtc file. Could you elaborate on this ? Also, if in real, people weren't turning their lights on, I think we'd have way more accidents on the roads.

As for performance impact, this isn't about PC platform at least. Because it's something really marginal.

Fanapryde
25-08-2015, 16:28
This has been a topic of long discussion during development already. It wasn't missed, it was a performance decision as calculating reflections isn't free w.r.t. CPU load. Light reflections at night is less of a problem because other light sources are absent then.

Do I have a special copy of PCars ?

Not in all races, but since patch 3 I did several Championship races (GT5 and GT4) and invitationals in foggy/rainy conditions during daytime (late afternoon) where AI used their headlights. White, yellow and blue for that matter. Well visible in the mirrors and even reflections on track were there. Happened at Bathurst, Sakitto International, Snetterton, Brno etc...
When different parts of the track are close together, you can also see them running headlights.