PDA

View Full Version : Post your Tips/Tricks for Going Fast!

HeyIHaveProjectCars
25-08-2015, 21:05
Hi All,

I consider myself a fine racer offline, but online I struggle to maintain a Top 3 pace due to shortcomings in my driving. Since we all have our special tactics which help us exceed in select areas, but lose ground in others, Id like start a thread where we can post our Go-Fast Tips & Tricks.

An example: Set your brake bias to 48 Front / 52 Rear, as it helps you trail-brake into a corner and align your car for a faster drive out.

Please contribute your tactics!

All the best,
-HeyIHaveProjectCars

Knightfall
25-08-2015, 21:28
Brake Duct is one of the first things I modify. On my LMP setups they are normally around 25-45%.

Also fuel level. Per the tip included in the game "try and plan your race and pit strat to have you end race with 0 fuel." The new patch does wonder to help the user do this.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
25-08-2015, 21:29
For me? Don't always try to get the car to correspond to what you like to drive, also work on making your own driving style pliable enough to suit different cars/setups. I rarely spend too much time on a single car on a single track, and usually before diving in to the setup I try to figure out how to drive the usual setup as quickly as possible. Over the years this has lead to me being able to quickly jump into just about anything anywhere and drive quickly, even when hampered by wonky handling. Working on maximizing the performance of a car that doesn't drive like you'd wish can be time well spent, it can teach you a lot about driving overall, and some cars simply don't respond well to certain driving styles, no matter what you do with the setup.

Drift occasionally. Drifting can improve your car control on the limit a great deal, and it helps to make sliding not scary, giving you more confidence and consistency when pushing to the edge. Tyres always provide their maximum grip when you're sliding them a little bit, so to go as fast as possible you need to slide a little bit all the time. If you're not sliding at all, you're not going as fast as you could.

There are few things as important as braking as late as possible while still hitting your line, and getting on the throttle as soon as possible, even if that means riding a small slide out of corners. The more you have the throttle open on average across a lap, the better your chance of putting down as much power as possible. Of course this is easy to overdo as well, sliding all over the place and spinning the driven wheels. Slow in/fast out is only the starting point, the final goal is fast in/fast through/fast out. =)

Don't get too hung up on setups. Assuming your setup currently isn't horrible enough to keep you from using the car properly, there aren't that many tracks where the setup itself will make a difference of several seconds, and mostly that comes out on tracks where aero makes a huge difference. If you're 5 seconds behind the top, most of that is probably in the driving, not the setup. That said, a good setup can make it easier to stay at the edge, but that's not really saying that the previous setup is incapable of going that fast, just that it's easier to do with the other setup.

Really, really, REALLY fast laps are often done by way of hitting everything just about perfectly. You're braking into a corner, you think you'll go long, and you just barely manage to keep it on the line and enter the turn, sliding to the apex to plant the throttle fully and exiting in a small four wheel drift. 20 cm later in the braking and you would have missed it completely, losing half a second. Then doing that on every - single - corner. If you really want to hit the fastest the car can do, you can't leave any safety margin at all, and since this is a sim where you can essentially practice indefinitely, someone is bound to do it eventually. This has very little to do with actual racing.

MrFlibble81
25-08-2015, 21:38
[QUOTE=Jussi Karjalainen;1097579]
Drift occasionally. Drifting can improve your car control on the limit a great deal, and it helps to make sliding not scary, giving you more confidence and consistency when pushing to the edge. Tyres always provide their maximum grip when you're sliding them a little bit, so to go as fast as possible you need to slide a little bit all the time. If you're not sliding at all, you're not going as fast as you could.[QUOTE]

I have to politely disagree with this.

If you're tires are sliding then that would mean that they have exceeded their level of grip and any time you slide you're taking away forward momentum plus you're ruining your tires.

I will agree that sliding will make you less scared of it and you'll have a better idea of how the car behaves when it begins to slide and what you can get away with though.

But back to the OP's point. Fuel is the big one for me. You really need to plan your fuel strategy and just braking later, in a straight line and hitting your apexes, maybe being a little more aggressive and taking more kerb too but you need to be careful you don't take too much and spin your car around though!

Schnizz58
25-08-2015, 21:40
If your tires are sliding then that would mean that they have exceeded their level of grip and any time you slide you're taking away forward momentum plus you're ruining your tires.
Jussi is correct. Maximum grip is when the tires are sliding a little bit.

MrFlibble81
25-08-2015, 21:42
Jussi is correct. Maximum grip is when the tires are sliding a little bit.

Really?

Ok, I didn't realize that. I've always been under the impression that if the tires are sliding you've exceeded grip levels but I guess I'm wrong.

Learn something new everyday I suppose!

jason
25-08-2015, 21:43
Mash the go peddle hard :)

MrFlibble81
25-08-2015, 21:44
^sound advice right there.

Schnizz58
25-08-2015, 21:48
Can't argue with that!

MrFibble, here's a graph of slip angle vs. coefficient of friction. Note in the F1 example, maximum friction is around 9 of slip but you don't really start to lose traction until about 15.

https://s.yimg.com/fz/api/res/1.2/58JRg1l71QmCViyC7Af4CQ--/YXBwaWQ9c3JjaGRkO2g9MTAxOTtxPTk1O3c9ODky/http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-_zjXCT8lH0U/UIWXEP8DnKI/AAAAAAAAARU/lrGi8Jgjq80/s1600/Slip+Angle+Graph.jpg

MrFlibble81
25-08-2015, 21:50
Cool! Thanks for that. I genuinely didn't know that.

Umer Ahmad
25-08-2015, 22:06
Step 1: Get a nice start & watch out for the riff-raff

http://youtu.be/nM8sjYNK_Iw

Step 2: Manage the traffic

http://youtu.be/JdF3DgkATwE

Step 3: Play defensive as needed but don't blow your pace

http://youtu.be/_cGIHSf-MtM

Good luck!

(all videos were from my races today, love this game!)

Carinis
26-08-2015, 03:10
Drive it like you stole it

RobMUFC1987
26-08-2015, 06:37
I like my car to have slight oversteer, if it has understeer, it kills my tyres and lap time. Brake early so your car is stable to maximize corner speed and exit. Have front brake bias about 60% to stop the rear kicking ou under braking. I see a lot of people Online spin out because of it

Mark Quigley
26-08-2015, 06:49
I see loads of folks out brake themselves online and screw up corner after corner with funky lines, slow in fast out as it's much easier to make a pass on exit and down straights.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
26-08-2015, 07:07
Should be noted that what I said was mainly in terms of "maximum attack" driving, not consistently keeping up a high racing pace. That requires a bit different approach, since braking into every corner at the very last possible moment will more likely only work out around every one lap out of 5-10. =)

HeyIHaveProjectCars
26-08-2015, 18:07
I'm always bumping the Brake Pressure up to 100%. Probably one of the most obvious things to do.

Schnizz58
26-08-2015, 19:01
I'm always bumping the Brake Pressure up to 100%. Probably one of the most obvious things to do.
I try to set brake pressure so that the tires don't lock up. Of course that means I have to dial it in for each car. If it's raining, I back off a little bit from whatever the dry setting is.

Umer Ahmad
26-08-2015, 19:01
I always reduce to 75 :)

To avoid insta-locking the brakes. G27 stock pedals. My birthday is approaching, time for nixim brake mod?