PDA

View Full Version : Braking in the Mustang 2+2...

DidNotFinish
27-08-2015, 14:27
Watch yourself at the end of high speed straights with the Mustang 2+2 - 50 year old brakes.

My test of the '65 at RA last night went like this:

*coming to the end of the Moraine Sweep*

"Okay there's 120...130..."

"Annnnd brake...uh......brake?...."

"BRAKE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!"

*sound of tires squealing*

*sound of car skidding through sand*

"OH THE HUMANITY"

"TELL MY MOMMA I LOVE HER"

*crunch*

Pink_650S
27-08-2015, 14:41
Haha :D
You can add the Yellowbird to this as well.

Grijo
27-08-2015, 14:41
Man, i really laugh too loud reading it, very funny !! Nevertheless I loved the Mustang 2+2, a beast!! Ok, i confess, im a muscle car lover :D

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
27-08-2015, 15:01
Hehe, oodles of raw braking power! :D

Gave the car a really quick bash to see one thing about it with my gamepad, proper testing will have to wait until the weekend when I get back to my actual rig.

Really liking what I'm seeing so far, the only thing so far that I'ms lightly disappointed by is that there are no options for vintage road tyres. The SuperBelts are definitely vintage racing bias plies, not road tyres, and have grip in abundance for that time period.

I'm not even joking with that. I have on hand tyre test data from mid 1970s, when road radials were just beginning to become more popular, and a Finnish magazine set off to comprehensively test how good these new tyres were. A key point was that they offered noticeably more grip overall and were faster than the traditional bias plies in the handling tests, though they were more peaky and more sudden in the way they lost grip. Tyre size tested was 165 width, whereas the Mustang should AFAIK have 175 or so tyres as standard, so similar size.

So, what sort of lateral Gs did the mid 1970s road radials get? Well the in-game car can easily pull off about 0.9-0.95 Gs in steady state circling, which is around where normal modern tires hang out, so a lot of grip for the time period, but well plausible for racing rubber. Back in the 70s the best tyre in the test they measured produced 0.73 Gs average around a 50 meter skid pan (proper tarmac surface), peaking into 0.81 Gs (best average was Pirelli, best peak was Bridgestone). In the same test the worst performer was Dunlop, only managing 0.67 Gs average and 0.75 G peak. So road tyres with superior technology and a decade newer than what the Mustang had were producing around 78% of the Gs we can manage in-game, and it's fair to assume that the older bias plies of the mid 60s probably were closer to 65-70%.

Wish we could get those tyres in a later update, could be a hoot. Slap them on as an option to all the vintage cars, and the Lotus Seven Classic as well, the power in that is pretty close to what the mid-60s Lotus Super Seven 1500 managed, could be a decent approximation of that. =)

senn
27-08-2015, 15:42
The Yellowbird can EASILY cook it's brakes at a high speed track like bathurst in 1 lap. realistic, sure, road pads would behave like this when stopping from 270kmh, but as for having it as a road B car.....hmmm I wonder

Pink_650S
27-08-2015, 16:11
The Yellowbird can EASILY cook it's brakes at a high speed track like bathurst in 1 lap. realistic, sure, road pads would behave like this when stopping from 270kmh, but as for having it as a road B car.....hmmm I wonder

Yeah, its not competitive at all :(

27-08-2015, 16:12
Road B probably assumes running it on modern rubber, I can see it being able to keep up in that bunch, for a while at least.

senn
27-08-2015, 16:14
that's the issue with the modern rubber it's going faster out of corners and needs more brakes when it reaches the next one. Try it on bathurst, you'll be out of brakes before the end of one lap, assuming you are running full boost. take's about 1.5 laps on low boost.

Pink_650S
27-08-2015, 16:19
Road B probably assumes running it on modern rubber, I can see it being able to keep up in that bunch, for a while at least.

Maybe down the Mulsanne straight, but when having to brake 200 meters earlier than the other cars? :s There goes the advantage.

Its a fun car on its own, but doesnt really have any challenger in the game, as most cars unfortunately... :(

27-08-2015, 16:46
Maybe down the Mulsanne straight, but when having to brake 200 meters earlier than the other cars? :s There goes the advantage.

Its a fun car on its own, but doesnt really have any challenger in the game, as most cars unfortunately... :(Personally I'm super happy that the street cars aren't equalized, since A) they aren't in real life either, and B) it means I can actually race against my friends without having to hold back, just picking a slightly slower car.

3800racingfool
27-08-2015, 17:09
The tires may be a little too grippy for the period, but the car is still an absolute hoot to drive and SMS did an awesome job with it. I've spent the last hour and a half just driving up and down the california highway sliding corners, spinning cookies, and burnouts... oh the burnouts. It's everything I'd hoped for and more. Only thing that would make it better would be to have a late 60s or early 70s camaro to pair with it.

27-08-2015, 18:22
The tires may be a little too grippy for the periodI didn't mean they were a bit grippy for the period, just that they're race tyres from the period. Would be nice to get a road option as well though. =)

I'll hold judgment until I've had a bash at it with a wheel, but so far it feels awesome. =)

yusupov
27-08-2015, 18:28
+1 on road tires for the fastback. i thought they felt far too grippy as well but also spun out twice in a couple minutes at nordschliefe. the competition tires explain that, personally i'd very much like to have the option.

lancashirelad
27-08-2015, 18:52
Personally I'm super happy that the street cars aren't equalized, since A) they aren't in real life either, and B) it means I can actually race against my friends without having to hold back, just picking a slightly slower car.

The tires may be a little too grippy for the period, but the car is still an absolute hoot to drive and SMS did an awesome job with it. I've spent the last hour and a half just driving up and down the california highway sliding corners, spinning cookies, and burnouts... oh the burnouts. It's everything I'd hoped for and more. Only thing that would make it better would be to have a late 60s or early 70s camaro to pair with it.

Yeah more muscle cars, Camaro ,dodge charger, Plymouth road runner etc. Imagine having an online meet on the highway and having drag races. :)

3800racingfool
27-08-2015, 18:52
I didn't mean they were a bit grippy for the period, just that they're race tyres from the period. Would be nice to get a road option as well though. =)

That's kinda what I was referring to. They're not bad by any means and I had an absolute blast with it and will be going back for more.

Yeah more muscle cars, Camaro ,dodge charger, Plymouth road runner etc. Imagine having an online meet on the highway and having drag races. :)

That... would be amazing.

27-08-2015, 18:58
I'll even put on my "racer glasses" and dream: Street Camaro, Charger, Challenger, Barracuda, etc., and their 60-70s Trans Am versions as well. (I do love the HistorX mod for rFactor...)

Damnit I want to be able to make an online session with NO RULES WHATSOEVER. I want to be able to drive down the California Highway, then turn around and drive back up again! Then down again! And so on!

3800racingfool
27-08-2015, 21:29
I'll even put on my "racer glasses" and dream: Street Camaro, Charger, Challenger, Barracuda, etc., and their 60-70s Trans Am versions as well. (I do love the HistorX mod for rFactor...)

Damnit I want to be able to make an online session with NO RULES WHATSOEVER. I want to be able to drive down the California Highway, then turn around and drive back up again! Then down again! And so on!

You technically can, you just can't cross the finish line before turning around. (which, at the end of the course, there is the 4 lane that could be used to turn around in).

27-08-2015, 21:36
You technically can, you just can't cross the finish line before turning around. (which, at the end of the course, there is the 4 lane that could be used to turn around in).You'll get busted for driving the wrong way though. If Free Practice it works, but online doesn't allow you to drive up and down freely.

MAARTEN
27-08-2015, 21:38
Hahaha thanks for the laugh, i found it even more amusing when i saw that your nick was DidNotFinish :highly_amused:

Watch yourself at the end of high speed straights with the Mustang 2+2 - 50 year old brakes.

My test of the '65 at RA last night went like this:

*coming to the end of the Moraine Sweep*

"Okay there's 120...130..."

"Annnnd brake...uh......brake?...."

"BRAKE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!"

*sound of tires squealing*

*sound of car skidding through sand*

"OH THE HUMANITY"

"TELL MY MOMMA I LOVE HER"

*crunch*

3800racingfool
27-08-2015, 22:23
You'll get busted for driving the wrong way though. If Free Practice it works, but online doesn't allow you to drive up and down freely.

Even with flags/penalties off? Guess I've never driven backwards under those circumstances long enough to find out what happens lol.

27-08-2015, 23:36
Yeah, even if you make a practice session online you'll get booted for driving the wrong way. It's really quite annoying.

stangnutlx
28-08-2015, 01:11
Id love for them to add darker skid marks. besides the lame smoke there is no way to tell how long of a burn out or drift you did lol

3800racingfool
28-08-2015, 01:42
Yeah, even if you make a practice session online you'll get booted for driving the wrong way. It's really quite annoying.

Well that's ghey. Honestly, I'd really love to see the online version of these tracks become more like a hillclimb event than what they are now. Basically space the cars about 15-20 seconds apart and let 'em rip. Fastest time overall wins.

Id love for them to add darker skid marks. besides the lame smoke there is no way to tell how long of a burn out or drift you did lol

Yea, laid rubber would really be appropriate. Even if they had to pull the "it vanishes after 5 seconds" trick it'd be worth it.

The smoke and dust effects can sometimes look pretty good, other times not so much. Kinda just depends on the situation.

Sasquatch
28-08-2015, 03:11
@ OP

https://youtu.be/kEpLncBG_Nw?t=26s