PDA

View Full Version : The 1987 CTR Yellowbird, do you like it?

poirqc
27-08-2015, 16:08
Who's driven the Yellowbird. I'm about to pull the trigger and i'd like some feedback on it first!

How do you like it? What's the sound of it?

Thanks

roadend1981
27-08-2015, 16:10
Just buy it

senn
27-08-2015, 16:10
steering feel is awesome, nice and light at the front like you'd expect from a RR car. Sounds awesome. Definately get the tyres warm and remember to brake early in it, very tail happy if you try to drive it like an FR/FF car.

poirqc
27-08-2015, 16:13
I had so much fun playing NFS Porsche Unleash back in the days that i'll probably buy it anyway. The sound part would be important to me. :)

I'll write back in time.

Pink_650S
27-08-2015, 16:14
Great sound.
Great acceleration.
Great legacy.
No brakes.

poirqc
27-08-2015, 17:10
Great sound.
Great acceleration.
Great legacy.
No brakes.

Indeed.

Since i think this car can be oversteery easily, cranckin the diff lock can help with engine breaking and acceleration.

Well, i'm glad i pay 5$ :)

Holdidi
27-08-2015, 17:42
Hi,
really a great car, I drove one lap on Nordschleife, its fantastic.
I think this one of my favorites in PC, even its very hard to drive.

Greets

yusupov
27-08-2015, 17:57
be sure to use the 'denloc' tires for best experience, not sure if it defaults to those or not.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
27-08-2015, 19:17
Almost certain it defaults to the All Weather tyres, but not 100%. I can make sure over the weekend, though someone probably will beat me to it.

jgaganas
27-08-2015, 19:19
Drives great... it's a handful, but not spinning donuts in slow corners like other yellowbirds ;)

danowat
27-08-2015, 19:56
Probably my least favourite car in the pack!!!

Dons flame-proof suit

poirqc
27-08-2015, 20:14
Probably my least favourite car in the pack!!!

Dons flame-proof suit

Danowat, from lfs?

danowat
27-08-2015, 20:17
Danowat, from lfs?

Indeed.

flymar
27-08-2015, 20:18
While indeed light on brake power (but super easy to stop comparing ol' Mustang) one word I would describe the car is "agile". You just have to keep up with super fast gear changes.:) And it has analog stopwatch on the dashboard so you can feel like the captain of pretty fast submarine.

maurice-pascale
27-08-2015, 20:19
An absolute fast car! Great but slides very often.....

but in third person view, the sound is like the Lykan hypersport....also with the new RUF Rt....but just in third person view....strange

KK78
27-08-2015, 21:46
Anyone got any quick tips on how to make it a little less mental in terms of getting a swing on, feels tough to put the power on without it stepping over the point of no return too often, just had a few laps of the Green Hell and I agree it is sublime but any advice for a tuning novice on steadying the 'swaying about' on turns would be great?

Flaw3dGenius
27-08-2015, 22:13
Just ran it around the Ring, Prob my favourite road car i've tried and is defo fun. 1 problem is like the other road cars it feels like im driving a boat with it wallowing around the road and the sensations on the wheel like its rocking back and fourth. But if you like the other road cars your going to love it.

NemethR
27-08-2015, 22:14
Abosutely not. Imho it is the worst car in Project CARS.

Sasquatch
27-08-2015, 22:14
but in third person view, the sound is like the Lykan hypersport....also with the new RUF Rt....
Because the Lykan Hypersport uses the 3.7L flat-six twin-turbo from the RUF CTR3/RT12R.

Like I said in the physics thread, this car stole to pack for me. I can't stop driving it, it's a challenge and yet a joy. I think it's on point in terms of sound. It gets weird with the indicator tells you to shift, but that's not where the power tops at, obviously. I think it's fantastic, while that generation is known for being widowmakers. It was the car to hold the nordschleife record in 1987 and on for a bit.

I'm trying to figure out how people are doing 7:3X's with it in the Yellowbird community challenge, though.

KK78
27-08-2015, 22:18
Just ran it around the Ring, Prob my favourite road car i've tried and is defo fun. 1 problem is like the other road cars it feels like im driving a boat with it wallowing around the road and the sensations on the wheel like its rocking back and fourth. But if you like the other road cars your going to love it.

Yeah that is what I was trying to say, anyone got any tips to make this beast wallow less?

poirqc
28-08-2015, 01:45
Yeah that is what I was trying to say, anyone got any tips to make this beast wallow less?

A faster steering, by a tiny bit helps. More differential locks, i also removed some positive toe in on the rear.

resmania
28-08-2015, 01:59
Yellowbird, Denloc tire, Nordschleife. Heaven

MillsLayne
28-08-2015, 02:16
Isn't this the free car of the month?

Sasquatch
28-08-2015, 02:19
Isn't this the free car of the month?
The RUF RT12-R is. Not the CTR Yellowbird.

MillsLayne
28-08-2015, 02:20
Ah, got it. Too many RUFs to keep track of. haha

3800racingfool
28-08-2015, 03:49
Just drove it for the first time for a bit.

Initial thoughts? It's definitely light on it's feet. It doesn't take much to induce oversteer on a stock setup. Heck, even in 4th or 5th gear it's possible to get it sideways just by flicking the wheel. That said, it's actually more stable coming out of corners than I thought it would be. I started off driving it fairly cautiously but was surprised when the car kept asking for more even after I was out of the comfort zone. The brakes are definitely old school meaning long brake zones and a lot more reliance on the engine to help slow you down. Heel/toe in this car is a must in order to use it effectively. Acceleration is otherworldly. 80 miles an hour in 2nd gear! This thing absolutely flies if you can get it on a long piece of road. Overall, it takes a little getting used to, but there's definitely a reason why it was considered such a great car.

John Hargreaves
28-08-2015, 09:10
Like many of the cars in this game, the more time you spend with them, the more you come to like them. Loving this one after a bit of tinkering. I tried a few things to get the front end a bit more pointy, slight increases in camber, steering ratio, slow bump. I then tried to get the back end a little less slidey on turn in, so decreased the dec. lock in the lsd and softened the rear sway bar a notch.
This seems to have worked quite well for me, it's still nice and drifty, but just toned down a bit and slightly nicer turn in. I'm far from expert at this, so somebody will no doubt set it up much better, but I'm pretty happy so give it a go.
Main thing is braking; it does need a longer braking zone and try to allow yourself a nice straight line to do it, as once you think you have the front end ready to turn in, the back end still wants to keep on going a while longer. I'm finding that if I slow down a bit more than I think I need, then let the back end rotate the car it gets you pointing straight for the corner exit that bit sooner and you can power out in a straight line, letting all that weight over the back end get the power down.
I can see how this car must have launched a ton of yuppies into ditches back in the day.

NemethR
28-08-2015, 10:08
The "Yellowbird" - My was actually green. This car is... well... a huge disappointment for me.
The car (in my opinion) is plain wrong. Its close to undriveable, and thus not fun at all. Sure, I know, I should learn to drive.
But seriously, the car is unpredictable, and "unstoppable". You need to take the longest braking distances with the car, like on impossible levels.
I am confident, that the cars physics are way off, if this car would behave like this in real life, all of those who purchased it should have died within the first 100km.
The brakes are so bad, even a Trabant would stop faster. This is imo the worst part of the car. The fact, that it tends do go sideways, would be acceptable, if you could manage to stop the car. As mentioned earlier, I do 7 laps of time Trial with each car, and try to do the fastest time possible with them...
I gave up after 15 laps with this one. I was still 3 secs slower then the potential laptime, spinning, or missing the braking point, or spinning on turn-in at least once every lap. If this car would be in the demo of Project Cars, and I would decide from the demo to buy the game, I would never, ever buy it.
My rating for the car would be: 2- out of 5. The only reason I did not give it a 1, is because it looks, and sounds nice.

John Hargreaves
28-08-2015, 10:52
I remember back in the 80s my boss got one of the first Sierra Cosworths. I remember the look on his face when he realised that to brake and stop from 125mph took a quarter of a mile. Now I'm not sure how 100% accurate that fact is, but remember it's an 80s supercar. If you look at the McLaren F1, that has some pretty long stopping distances too, so I bet the Bird's pretty close.
Anyway, I'm loving it, I think you just have to drive it on its own terms.

julesdennis
28-08-2015, 10:55
Sierra Cosworth was not a 80's "super car".

plakplak
28-08-2015, 11:04

139ft 60MPH - 0MPH stopping distance, whereas modern sports cars can stop in less than 100ft.

NemethR
28-08-2015, 11:11

139ft 60MPH - 0MPH stopping distance, whereas modern sports cars can stop in less than 100ft.

That is 39ft, and about 1/4th longer.
For this to stop you need to brake like instead of the 100m board, way before the 200m board.
Nope, does not sound realistic at all.
Also Brake rating: Very good.
Come on, this is very far from very good.

28-08-2015, 11:13
I remember the look on his face when he realised that to brake and stop from 125mph took a quarter of a mile.Pretty sure he was mistaken, 125-0 mph in a quarter of a mile would only come up to an average deceleration rate of 0.4 G (assuming we're ignoring reaction time etc.). Checking quickly an image I had handy, a lowly Fiat 133 tested in 1975 managed 60-0 mph with an average deceleration of 0.7 G, I doubt the average Gs would be almost halved from 125 mph, and the tyres and brakes would have both been much better in the Sierra Cosworth. My guess? Somewhere around 0.8 G average, peaking into 0.9 G momentarily, braking distance around an eighth of a mile.

28-08-2015, 11:16

139ft 60MPH - 0MPH stopping distance, whereas modern sports cars can stop in less than 100ft.That's an average of 0.865 Gs, modern sports cars on good rubber can pull off 1.2 Gs average deceleration from 60-0 (or 120-0). The very best hyper cars on the very best rubber (Porsche 918 on Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres) can hit closer to 1.5 Gs max power.

28-08-2015, 11:19
Also Brake rating: Very good.
Come on, this is very far from very good.Times have changed. Back in the 70s a lateral grip if 0.8 Gs would have been amazing. In the 90s even the best road rubber was barely touching 1 G. Today the best road tyres can pull even up to 1.4 Gs (the development during the early 2000s was insane). It goes similarly for brakes. 0.865 Gs average braking power would have been quite good back then, and likely limited by the tyres, not the power of the brakes themselves. The brakes just stop the tyres after all, the tyres stop the car. =)

poirqc
28-08-2015, 12:51
Dialing engine braking is a key to sucess with this car! It really helps.

Prej
28-08-2015, 13:01
The Yellowbird is pretty much like every other car in the game.

You set it up, you learn the braking points and gear shifts for the particular track, you get good lap times. Voila.

AB_Attack
28-08-2015, 13:41
It made me angry. It has special handling characteristics for sure, and that's a good thing. But I'm still angry with it and I don't like how it looks so we parted as enemies.

WildKarrde
28-08-2015, 14:09
I've also noticed a good bit of brake fade on this car as well. Widow Maker, it lives up to it's name. :)

Plage
28-08-2015, 14:13
Great car and much fun to drive. Plus it can defy gravity!

http://i.imgur.com/PSUmNmM.jpg

diesel97
28-08-2015, 14:26
The old stang 2+2 brakes alot better than the yellow bird , i know your going slower but i think the stang is heavyier also . That rear engine must make a big difference

3800racingfool
28-08-2015, 14:32
Great car and much fun to drive. Plus it can defy gravity!

[img]

Lol, I did that with the 2+2.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=507599398

Thing could double as a rock crawler.

John Hargreaves
28-08-2015, 14:34
Sierra Cosworth was not a 80's "super car".

HaHa, sorry, I was meaning the ‘Bird, not the Cossie :rolleyes: Didn‘t quite write as clearly as I should.

John Hargreaves
28-08-2015, 14:37
Pretty sure he was mistaken, 125-0 mph in a quarter of a mile would only come up to an average deceleration rate of 0.4 G (assuming we're ignoring reaction time etc.). Checking quickly an image I had handy, a lowly Fiat 133 tested in 1975 managed 60-0 mph with an average deceleration of 0.7 G, I doubt the average Gs would be almost halved from 125 mph, and the tyres and brakes would have both been much better in the Sierra Cosworth. My guess? Somewhere around 0.8 G average, peaking into 0.9 G momentarily, braking distance around an eighth of a mile.

Yeah, somebody probably told him that just to scare him. It just stuck in my memory all these years.

28-08-2015, 16:49
The old stang 2+2 brakes alot better than the yellow bird , i know your going slower but i think the stang is heavyier also . That rear engine must make a big differenceNot even remotely true. The 'Stang gets at best around 0.9 Gs (highest 2 second average I saw) when braking from 200-0 km/h, even on the Denlocs the Yellowbird can pull 1.2 Gs (2 second average). What is true is that once the brake temps on the Yellowbird go to over 700 deg, the brakes suddenly go to mush, dropping down to the level of the Mustang. The Mustang might have a slight edge after the Yellowbird's brakes are completely cooked.

plakplak
28-08-2015, 17:59

Here they say that CTR brakes are fade-free.

Whole article can be found here:
http://porschecarshistory.com/porsche-964-turbo-3-3-vs-ruf-ctr-road-track-mag-031991/
(http://porschecarshistory.com/porsche-964-turbo-3-3-vs-ruf-ctr-road-track-mag-031991/)

NoBrakes
28-08-2015, 18:32
Well, if you think about this "Yellowbird" as a wrong and undrivable implementation you should try another one from a well known Italian studio /sim ... that seems to be undrivable without having any brakes at all compared to this one, that is tempting but drivable if you remember that you are not sitting in a modern GT3 type of car ;)

The "Yellowbird" - My was actually green. This car is... well... a huge disappointment for me.
The car (in my opinion) is plain wrong. Its close to undriveable, and thus not fun at all. Sure, I know, I should learn to drive.
But seriously, the car is unpredictable, and "unstoppable". You need to take the longest braking distances with the car, like on impossible levels.
I am confident, that the cars physics are way off, if this car would behave like this in real life, all of those who purchased it should have died within the first 100km.
The brakes are so bad, even a Trabant would stop faster. This is imo the worst part of the car. The fact, that it tends do go sideways, would be acceptable, if you could manage to stop the car. As mentioned earlier, I do 7 laps of time Trial with each car, and try to do the fastest time possible with them...
I gave up after 15 laps with this one. I was still 3 secs slower then the potential laptime, spinning, or missing the braking point, or spinning on turn-in at least once every lap. If this car would be in the demo of Project Cars, and I would decide from the demo to buy the game, I would never, ever buy it.
My rating for the car would be: 2- out of 5. The only reason I did not give it a 1, is because it looks, and sounds nice.

28-08-2015, 19:07
Here they say that CTR brakes are fade-free.There's no such thing as fade free brakes, just brakes that don't fade easily. Just that throwaway line isn't much to go by, because there aren't any specifics.

EDIT: Thank you very much for posting the article though, much obliged!

finbaek
29-08-2015, 03:04
Oh thank you so much for the article plakplak. I love the Yellowbird and I'm a big RUF fan since GT4.
Just yesterday I produced my first Nordschleife experience with the bird. Check the video at the youtube thread. I think I've touched the core of driving. :cool:

Nomad06
29-08-2015, 09:07
Just drove it for the first time for a bit.

Initial thoughts? It's definitely light on it's feet. It doesn't take much to induce oversteer on a stock setup. Heck, even in 4th or 5th gear it's possible to get it sideways just by flicking the wheel. That said, it's actually more stable coming out of corners than I thought it would be. I started off driving it fairly cautiously but was surprised when the car kept asking for more even after I was out of the comfort zone. The brakes are definitely old school meaning long brake zones and a lot more reliance on the engine to help slow you down. Heel/toe in this car is a must in order to use it effectively. Acceleration is otherworldly. 80 miles an hour in 2nd gear! This thing absolutely flies if you can get it on a long piece of road. Overall, it takes a little getting used to, but there's definitely a reason why it was considered such a great car.

Lol...80mph in 2nd...well it is a 5spd...it it were a 6 or 7spd...now that would be something.

I myslef am not overly happy with this car...I actually drove these back in 87. Let me tell you, it drove much better than Pcars is giving us.....there is work to be done in tuning....as right now....its a horrible representation of thr real thing. ...hell the AI at 100% cant keep these things on the road. ..SMS messed this one up unfortunately

Flaw3dGenius
29-08-2015, 09:32
Lol...80mph in 2nd...well it is a 5spd...it it were a 6 or 7spd...now that would be something.

I myslef am not overly happy with this car...I actually drove these back in 87. Let me tell you, it drove much better than Pcars is giving us.....there is work to be done in tuning....as right now....its a horrible representation of thr real thing. ...hell the AI at 100% cant keep these things on the road. ..SMS messed this one up unfortunately

I think sms intentionally mess up the road cars so the race cars feel so much better and planted. I had a Focus St for 3 years and never once did i think i was driving the titanic but when im in the pcars focus its that bad im looking out for icebergs.

Mahjik
29-08-2015, 14:58
I found the default setup to be a little tail happy. Once the rear would start coming around, it was difficult to stop if you didn't catch it very early. I also found it very stiff overall. I started by dropping the suspension (springs/dampers) all down one notch. Then I did my usual of softening up the rear, reducing the caster a bit and the car drives great for me. It's still challenging but fun. I'm sure as I get more used to it, these changes will reveal some undesired understeer and I'll end up stiffening up the rear a tad.

Sasquatch
29-08-2015, 15:06
I think sms intentionally mess up the road cars so the race cars feel so much better and planted.

I think.. you...uhhh... may... want... to re"think" that one.

Edit: Relevant user name is relevant.

Flaw3dGenius
29-08-2015, 15:28
I think.. you...uhhh... may... want... to re"think" that one.

Edit: Relevant user name is relevant.

What an odd way of typing.

maurice-pascale
29-08-2015, 16:43
I think kt is a good car, but i got always the feeling with the yellowbird, that there is no difference between cold tyres and warm tyres....the cars slides exact same with warm tyres like with cold....dont know if this is a bug or something......even when i drive it very very carefull and slow in corners, it still slides away like hell.....no car on earth can be that bad with the always sliding at corners......for now all other cars in Pcars drive smoother then the yellow bird....

Its bad because i really liked this car, dont know how i can cha ge something there

Sloskimo
29-08-2015, 17:16
Turn the slow bump all the way down, worked for me, it will still slide and do whatever it wants to do most of the time, but the slides are easier to correct, whatever "easier" means in this case. Perhaps mess with the steering ratio also, make it slower, since too much input will send this car into places unknown.

I do enjoy the car though, just not very easy to make a lap when trying to go fast, 80s madness :)

SchnelleBasis
29-08-2015, 19:03
Don´t treat it like a proper race car that should go fast around the track (you can ofc)....
Instead....make it slide and power oversteer hard.
This car has potential to be a lot of slow fun.

As ppl. mentioned:
brakes - no
power - universes of it

Get ur differential set is the most important here I guess.

Sloskimo
29-08-2015, 19:52
Don´t treat it like a proper race car that should go fast around the track (you can ofc)....
Instead....make it slide and power oversteer hard.
This car has potential to be a lot of slow fun.

As ppl. mentioned:
brakes - no
power - universes of it

Get ur differential set is the most important here I guess.

It's not that slow when somebody good (not me) drives it, but yeah it's fun powering out of corners with 90+ wheel lock and on full throttle because you know it's going to spin out if you get off the throttle, then snap correct it once it straightens out.

Not sure how useful this thing is online though, If you have the track to yourself fine, you have room to move, and you will need it, but if there's others? lol

Sasquatch
29-08-2015, 20:16
What an odd way of typing.

Almost human, right?

But you are aware that road cars are not as well planted as a specially developed race car on a race track, right? Just pointing out what you posted.

Flaw3dGenius
29-08-2015, 21:57
Almost human, right?

But you are aware that road cars are not as well planted as a specially developed race car on a race track, right? Just pointing out what you posted.

You have missed my point completely!

Sasquatch
29-08-2015, 22:47
:very_drunk:

GTsimms
30-08-2015, 02:43
Deathmobile with cold tires

mister dog
30-08-2015, 02:44
Panjandrum races older Porsches of a similar configuration as the YB in real life, and he states there's a lack of lift off oversteer. Now i have never driven an older Porsche so i wouldn't have a clue, but if the YB is indeed prone to lift off oversteer I tend to agree with him. With the default setting in PCARS there is a lot of oversteer when applying the throttle on corner exits, but practically no lift off oversteer on corner entry.

Here's his findings and i'm curious what people think:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?28886-Having-trouble-with-Lift-off-oversteer&p=1103777&viewfull=1#post1103777

If anyone been tuning towards this and willing to share a better setup with LOO, please do share.

Nomad06
30-08-2015, 06:26
I think sms intentionally mess up the road cars so the race cars feel so much better and planted. I had a Focus St for 3 years and never once did i think i was driving the titanic but when im in the pcars focus its that bad im looking out for icebergs.

I think SMS is just friggin LAZY. ...did absolutely no testing and is waiting liks most of this "sim" has been created ...for the customer to fix their ****! I mean....com'on these Ruf's are ****....and how in the name of god in anyone's world but SMS does a car go from crappy to out right disaster when going from street to track tires?? SMS is just lazy and sucking up our money. ..laughing all the way to the bank...they should fire Ian...no one will buy Pcars2 at this rate....and quite frankly the community is dying off...which is really sad....just waiting for GT7...

Nomad06
30-08-2015, 06:29

Deathmobile with cold tires

Lol...actually its better with cold tires...once they come up to temp the handling gets worse....only sms would do something so ass backwards

ilmor
30-08-2015, 09:02
My gawd, it has no brakes. Other than that....

I read somewhere that the new Mustang GT 2+2 is the worst handling car in the game. I have to disagree. It's the Yellowbird.

Photonmonkey
30-08-2015, 09:48
Makes a change from some of the 'boring' race cars, at least you have a fight on your hands with the yellow bird, not going to say it's accurate to real life as never driven one of these things but feels pretty much how I would expect it to handle. I haven't tried the other tyres/tires yet though.

I have noticed a lot of hate going on for SMS recently on the boards which is a shame, this is the only decent vaguely SIM like game on consoles. I think they are doing a good job on the whole. Yes it's not perfect but is a great automotive sandbox and as for the physics, there is no other console game that comes close IMHO. A bit more constructive criticism might help instead of just abuse!

Oh and before anyone even starts wth the Fanboy stuff, I am just appreciative of what SMS have given us console users, something I have craved for since the first iteration of GT on PS1

mister dog
30-08-2015, 09:52
I think SMS is just friggin LAZY. ...did absolutely no testing and is waiting liks most of this "sim" has been created ...for the customer to fix their ****! I mean....com'on these Ruf's are ****....and how in the name of god in anyone's world but SMS does a car go from crappy to out right disaster when going from street to track tires?? SMS is just lazy and sucking up our money. ..laughing all the way to the bank...they should fire Ian...no one will buy Pcars2 at this rate....and quite frankly the community is dying off...which is really sad....just waiting for GT7...
Yeah because GT gets all the handling characteristics spot on for its 1200 cars....
If the default setups on some cars aren't good there is always room to tune them, and enjoy the game with those cars as well.

medse87
30-08-2015, 10:01
I really like the Yellowbird. A little MP video. It's on the track tires here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlDr-iFDSNc

And for me the road cars got a lot better with Patch 3.0. Class A and B are fun to drive now.

Joni Varis
30-08-2015, 11:43
Would say it handles just as "bad" on both pcars & AC. Not really car i like too much, but did some laps on Nords yesterday with default setup.

This was the fastest lap :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ww0b902nig

Lots of small mistakes, with better set & driving there is still many seconds to be shaved off.

Mahjik
30-08-2015, 12:54
Street tires and track tires are not the same animals, in real life. Typically with a track tire, you need to lower the pressure from what you would use with a street tire. With that, you can't just switch tire types, keep the same pressures, and expect things to be "better". It doesn't work that way in pCARS and it doesn't work that way in real life. When using the track tires, lower your tire pressure. Drop the pressure to around ~1.6 bar front and ~1.7 rear with the track tire. Take it easy until you get a little heat in them and then they are MUCH grippier than the medium tires.

Flaw3dGenius
30-08-2015, 13:32
Would say it handles just as "bad" on both pcars & AC. Not really car i like too much, but did some laps on Nords yesterday with default setup.

Lots of small mistakes, with better set & driving there is still many seconds to be shaved off.

The cockpit view is very good in the yellowbird, Can see out no problem at all. Whats your FOV in that vid?

Joni Varis
30-08-2015, 13:34
Its the default fov ;)

Flaw3dGenius
30-08-2015, 14:23
Just took the Yellowbird out for a quickrace around Monza...The car just sways and rocks from side to side like it's on the high sea's! Why is the default setup so bad? (with Racing softs) Not a chance in hell this car can drive like this in real life!

Octane100
30-08-2015, 14:59

Wow, thats one heck of a lap especially if youve driven it bone stock as its a handful, i see from your signature your using a T500 i dont think any control pad user could get anywhere near that with the default setup in fact that time you did is faster than the quickest time on ps4 and thats been set with somebody using aids im sure.

Did you have the car set to "Real" aids ? were you using ABS?

Joni Varis
30-08-2015, 15:03
I have "real aids" disabled & no aids at all in use :)

You can see if custom or default set were used & what assist were in use at PC LB : http://cars-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard?track=697498609&vehicle=2017392050

Nomad06
30-08-2015, 15:32
Yeah because GT gets all the handling characteristics spot on for its 1200 cars....
If the default setups on some cars aren't good there is always room to tune them, and enjoy the game with those cars as well.

Its, I'm friggin getting tired ...as well as a lot of other people are, getting tired of paying for broken product! Look I love the co concept, I Have really wanted this to work....the fact is SMS has dropped the ball, the product is still broken and they keep charging us for broken and at times undrivable game/sim.

Now, there are mods more worried about someone using the word sh*t looking to ban those that speak out about SMS....

Anyway, I am about done with Pcars...forums and leagues are drying up, people are selling off their copies...which is out of pure frustrations and anger with SMS.....they misrepresented the game/sim and I beleive that's starting to reflect not only in here. ...but in other forums and the community.

Nomad06
30-08-2015, 15:47
Street tires and track tires are not the same animals, in real life. Typically with a track tire, you need to lower the pressure from what you would use with a street tire. With that, you can't just switch tire types, keep the same pressures, and expect things to be "better". It doesn't work that way in pCARS and it doesn't work that way in real life. When using the track tires, lower your tire pressure. Drop the pressure to around ~1.6 bar front and ~1.7 rear with the track tire. Take it easy until you get a little heat in them and then they are MUCH grippier than the medium tires.

Yeah, quite familiar with he concept. ....in fact track tires is not a new concept to Pcars physics....however wifh the new Ruf is seems to be backwards. ...and when heat starts develope it gets even worse.

SMS has gotten this wrong. ...wwe paid for broken product again.

Mahjik
30-08-2015, 15:57
Yeah, quite familiar with he concept. ....in fact track tires is not a new concept to Pcars physics....however wifh the new Ruf is seems to be backwards. ...and when heat starts develope it gets even worse.

You are doing something wrong then. I don't have this problem at all.

Sankyo
30-08-2015, 16:01
Now, there are mods more worried about someone using the word sh*t looking to ban those that speak out about SMS....

This argument is getting so old. People get banned for using bad language and badmouthing if continuing to use it after a first warning. Airing your opinion or displeasure never got someone banned, only the way how.

Nomad06
30-08-2015, 16:17
You are doing something wrong then. I don't have this problem at all.

Well maybe there is a difference between pc and ps4? I have 360 hrs in game...not to mention off line thats not recorded...I am no alien behind the wheel...however I am not new either...its only the few that seem to have no issues. ..and the masses are

Nomad06
30-08-2015, 16:20
This argument is getting so old. People get banned for using bad language and badmouthing if continuing to use it after a first warning. Airing your opinion or displeasure never got someone banned, only the way how.

As a mod I am sure it would be getting old...and we all see from different perpectives.

Mahjik
30-08-2015, 17:09
Well maybe there is a difference between pc and ps4?

It's possible. Those who are suggesting the track tires are fine are those on the PC. Hopefully over the next week there will be more information coming from both console sides. It would be helpful to get some video with the telemetry screen on for data points. Data is the key to understanding what is or isn't working as intended.

menos
01-09-2015, 17:53
While indeed light on brake power (but super easy to stop comparing ol' Mustang) one word I would describe the car is "agile". You just have to keep up with super fast gear changes.:) And it has analog stopwatch on the dashboard so you can feel like the captain of pretty fast submarine.
I didn't see the analogue stop watch - too busy keeping the car on track ;-)

Anyone got any quick tips on how to make it a little less mental in terms of getting a swing on, feels tough to put the power on without it stepping over the point of no return too often, just had a few laps of the Green Hell and I agree it is sublime but any advice for a tuning novice on steadying the 'swaying about' on turns would be great?

- more negative rear camber
- more aggressive rear toe settings
- soften rear stabilizer settings
- run more slightly higher tire pressure up front vs. rear tires
- more differential lock (both pre load and acc/dec)

Learn the special traits of a RR car vs a FR car - watch your body movements, shifting weight with the 911 has a greater impact with that engine way out the back.

Always be aware at what speeds you are actually when trying to break with a Ruf CTR vs a modern GT3 car in pCars.
On certain track sections around Nordschleife, I can easily be at 30 - 50km/h faster, approaching with the Ruf CTR vs. the GT3 race car and have A LOT less downforce and probably tire grip to boot when approaching that brake zone.

I find that getting used to video game race spec cars with their tons of downforce and traction is messing with the head once you get into a car like the Ruf CTR.
You ahem to adjust your visual cues and reset your brake points entirely from scratch.

Yes, the Ruf CTR has less stopping power than more modern super cars (just check vs. the equally wonderful Ruf RT12R, which sits amazing with lots of traction and plenty of downforce).
It is manageable to setup the car well and learn how to drive it. I love this car and wish for more older Porsche 911 based cars.

miagi
01-09-2015, 18:22
The only problem this car has is that the brake duct set in game to 0% might not be what it should be. Like 0% is too little air compared to what the discs of the real car got.
The thread title is wrong, it's not a Porsche, please change it.

Didd31
01-09-2015, 18:25
a lot of sensations : i :love_heart: this 911 :tennis:

Victima
01-09-2015, 18:41
I think AI´s of Old VS New are faster at same degree of difficulty compared to other cars, specially Fords, there is a ford jumper in the collection, jumps over other cars, jumps over guardrails, really a show.

roadend1981
01-09-2015, 19:04
I love the challenge of trying to keep the 911 yellowbird in a straight line! After watching YouTube videos of the real thing been driven round the nurburg it makes me feel better.

AdM1
01-09-2015, 19:51
Spent about 2 hours tuning it on Azure Coast last night, what a handful, I don't think there's anything you can do to keep that back end in check. I managed to tune it more predictable it's now one of my most favorite road cars in the game and one of the easiest to drift. Love it! Just what I hoped as I always loved this car but was worried it would just be too hard to control with a pad.

Love this old video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Thomd4BQg

mister dog
01-09-2015, 22:39
Spent about 2 hours tuning it on Azure Coast last night, what a handful, I don't think there's anything you can do to keep that back end in check. I managed to tune it more predictable it's now one of my most favorite road cars in the game and one of the easiest to drift. Love it! Just what I hoped as I always loved this car but was worried it would just be too hard to control with a pad.

Quick, share that setting :)

AdM1
02-09-2015, 00:30
Quick, share that setting :)

Give it a try mate.. :) http://projectcarssetups.eu/#/viewsetup/334708258

menos
02-09-2015, 02:01
Here is a Ruf CTR setup I worked on yesterday - took me a few hours at the Nürburgring Nordschleife to work on but netted me my first sub 07:30min lap time with the Yellowbird.
This is a basic setup and needs development. The rear end is much tamed but in some sections the front end is very stiff (careful around Hatzenbach and stay away from curbs).

http://projectcarssetups.eu/#/viewsetup/101605856

I am just trying to figure out some specs around the original Ruf CTR Yellowbird Nordschleife record of 08:05min.
Which tires and conditions was this record made with?

Which tire and condition settings in pCars would best resemble this? I would love to work on a lap time, as close as possible to the original conditions.

Studying this Youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emKKNKPJq0k
I am now more confused.

Yes, the used tires in this video seem to have a lot less traction then the modern racing tires supplied in the pCars Ruf CTR (I did not drive the Dunlop tires extensively yet).

What confuses me though is the gear box.
Which transmission has Ruf used in these early CTR models - a modified 915 gearbox? A Ruf design? A standard production G50 gearbox (starting to be delivered in the '87 Porsche Carrera production car, the Ruf CTR is based on)?

The transmission in the video is either of an entirely different variant or appears to be seriously long (maybe the transmission as used for their 370km/h record run on the Volkswagen test track?).
My point - I use the shortest gearing in pCars on the Nordschleife and am consistently a gear lower than Mr. Rosler in the video.

Which transmission is used in the original Ruf CTR Yellowbird?
[EDIT] found some info on the transmission (any further info highly welcome):
It is apparently a Ruf design, NOT a series production based transmission.
From this photo it is apparent also that it is a dogleg 5 speed transmission, resulting in my confusion from the Ruf promotion video (Stefan Rosler's gear changes do make absolute sense now).
http://www.caranddriver.com/photo-gallery/1987-ruf-ctr-yellowbird-911-turbo-driven-video#17
and:
http://www.caranddriver.com/photo-gallery/1987-ruf-ctr-yellowbird-911-turbo-driven-video#18 [EDIT]

Further, the stated 08:05min record time is listed on some websites to be submitted in 2007! Sure by 2007 different tires where available and not the Dunlop tires from 1987 where used for the record time?
Was the record run made also in traffic as in this promotion video above?

Many questions … ;-) But please can you help a Porsche nut out here?

JohnSchoonsBeard
03-09-2015, 07:25
I drove it for an hour yesterday on default setup (default tyres) with a wheel. It was an absolute wild joy to drive. I have found a fun issue with the cockpit/helmet view though. Will also post in the bug section if not already identified. Try it before it's fixed.

https://youtu.be/GUXWbf5sK7Y

Photonmonkey
03-09-2015, 07:53
The car is a joy to drive as takes a bit of thought to control (it's an older car with lots of power) therefore the handling is going to be a bit wild. I just dropped the ride height and stiffened up the suspension a tad, makes things a bit more managable and I am using a pad. Not tried to hit any specific lap times yet but cannot wait to try, I love both the new RUF cars, handling is what I would expect. This is why I love the road cars in the game. They all take a different driving approach to the purpose built racers :)

menos
04-09-2015, 08:06
I think AI´s of Old VS New are faster at same degree of difficulty compared to other cars, specially Fords, there is a ford jumper in the collection, jumps over other cars, jumps over guardrails, really a show.

The AI is still a very mixed experience.
I am an average driver at Brno (reflected by my inability to post a better lap time around the track) and yet with a field of 25 Ai racers on a 5 lap race around Brno in a field of identical Ruf CTR cars, I am in second place after turn 2, in 1st place a couple turns later and lead by 10 seconds a couple of laps later.

The Ai is too weak especially when identical cars are involved - they pile up and enter corners way to conservatively (you can easily overtake them inside, outside of corner entrances where they loose a lot of time).

RoccoTTS
08-09-2015, 09:24
Today in set a time in the "Yellowbird in Green" community event. After restarting at least 10 times after making mistakes i set a time of 8:25.504.
Wow, this was the most fun i ever had in any game for many years :D
What a joy to drive this car on the ring !!!

wintermute
08-09-2015, 13:45
I'm little confused. Yellowbird in AC is very challenging and hard to drive.
CRT in PC is not.

When i see this movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSMCfPASImQ
i think that driving CTR in PC is very easy.

wesker6664
08-09-2015, 13:49
CRT in PC is not.

When i see this movie
Make sure you put the real tyres on it (Denloc hard). Let us know then ;)

Umer Ahmad
08-09-2015, 13:52
Drove it on the Denlocs for 2 hours last night at Nords.....met many walls.

Umer Ahmad
08-09-2015, 13:55
Today in set a time in the "Yellowbird in Green" community event. After restarting at least 10 times after making mistakes i set a time of 8:25.504.
Wow, this was the most fun i ever had in any game for many years :D
What a joy to drive this car on the ring !!!

Does the community event force the Denloc tyres? Some people have very low times 7.0x.xxx so I wonder what tyres people are using for the event.

wintermute
08-09-2015, 13:56
i will try with pleasure :)

yusupov
08-09-2015, 14:05
Does the community event force the Denloc tyres? Some people have very low times 7.0x.xxx so I wonder what tyres people are using for the event.

if they are setting times like that, most definitely not forced.

RoccoTTS
08-09-2015, 14:16

No, u get the Masculin Steet-Medium. The best time on X1 is 7:48.011

Plage
08-09-2015, 14:17
Last time I checked the best time given for the NOS on PC is about 0:09:xxx. Isn't that great!?!

Sankyo
08-09-2015, 14:29
CRT in PC is not.

When i see this movie
How hard is it to drive in AC? Is it hard even when not pushing it (e.g. ice-racing), or only when pushing it? I only drove it once in pCARS, but I could easily provoke the car by pushing it and hence make it hard(er) to drive. Furthermore, it seems to me that in the video link you posted, the driver is actually looking for the limit all the time and going over it a few times for fun, doing some rear-end-sliding here and there.

Alex Hobbs
08-09-2015, 14:45
I like the yellowbird, it's manageable even on the Denlocs (honestly haven't tried the michelins yet, dont' see the point)

Here's a quick clip of it on snetterton, default setup w/denlocs. Half seem to say it's too easy and the other half say it's too hard, personally I think it's spot on :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uro-szhMVt8

Joni Varis
08-09-2015, 14:46
For me there really isnt much difference beetween Pcars & AC versions. Both have very similar handling = lots of understeer off throtthle, but immidiate oversteer when stepping to throthle. Handful to drive on both games.

pcars:

AC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnPoqqp6BFc

Both vid laps were with default setup.

Pcars version has slightly more grip overall, but the difference really isnt that big when comparing handling.

wintermute
08-09-2015, 15:46
Make sure you put the real tyres on it (Denloc hard). Let us know then ;)

So I tried these tires.
It looks very strange. Yes - driving is heavily because the car does not want to turn.
But what's interesting car is not is not slipping more...

Knightfall
08-09-2015, 15:56
For me there really isnt much difference beetween Pcars & AC versions. Both have very similar handling = lots of understeer off throtthle, but immidiate oversteer when stepping to throthle. Handful to drive on both games.

pcars:

Both vid laps were with default setup.

Pcars version has slightly more grip overall, but the difference really isnt that big when comparing handling.

Wow dude, nice lap. I had white knuckles while WATCHING that video.. Great job!

Joni Varis
08-09-2015, 16:18
Wow dude, nice lap. I had white knuckles while WATCHING that video.. Great job!

It was an ok lap, but there still was quite a few small mistakes.

Umer Ahmad
08-09-2015, 16:24
which tyres Joni? (pcars video)

wintermute
08-09-2015, 16:59
How hard is it to drive in AC? Is it hard even when not pushing it (e.g. ice-racing), or only when pushing it? I only drove it once in pCARS, but I could easily provoke the car by pushing it and hence make it hard(er) to drive. Furthermore, it seems to me that in the video link you posted, the driver is actually looking for the limit all the time and going over it a few times for fun, doing some rear-end-sliding here and there.

Its hard to explain (and my english is poor :).
You should try because i can't explain it clearly.
But:
- suspension work. It is hard to show but RUF in AC is unstable.
- overall grip. RUF at AC lose traction very easy.
- in AC downshift without throttle blip in causes massive rear wheel slip

Joni Varis
08-09-2015, 17:03
which tyres Joni? (pcars video)

That lap was with untouched default setup, no idea which tyres are in use.

baronesbc
08-09-2015, 17:15
CRT in PC is not.

When i see this movie
in Pcars with the hardest tires it seems to me very similar to the real video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI8Gu6KwPN0

Knightfall
08-09-2015, 18:03

Maybe so, but my frame of reference is comparing that lap to the multiple laps that I have run which.... lets just say... look absolutely nothing like yours. Cheers!

Sankyo
08-09-2015, 18:10
But:

You make it sound like the car is nearly undrivable in AC, which I think isn't the case? Anyway, I think the last point has been mentioned as a general flaw in AC's physics model, i.e. the rear wheels locking up too easily when downshifting.

havocc
08-09-2015, 18:22
I tried the event at the ring and crashed after 2 minutes, too much Tail happy, not mclaren f1 happy but Close enough

Plage
08-09-2015, 18:30
The F1 tailhappy? Are we talking about the same game?

havocc
08-09-2015, 18:45
The F1 tailhappy? Are we talking about the same game?

The road version not the longtail

Plage
08-09-2015, 19:03
That's what I'm talking about. I haven't driven it extensively because I found it very tame and unspectacular at the few laps I did on the NOS. Compared to other cars like for example the Rufs this thing is driving on rails. But this is actually a general problem with the game. Many cars are much too tame. Take the M1 Coupe for example. Around some corners I know somebody who's a higher up at BMW and gets such cars as company cars. He said a 135i is already difficult to drive if you turn all the electronic helpers off and the M1 even tops this. Jeremy Clarkson said he preferes to drive a Golf GTI instead of the M1 simply because the Golf isn't constantly trying to kill him. I see nothing of that behaviour ingame. Even with all helpers turned off I as a mediocre driver can handle it just fine without having to worry much about it going where I don't want it to.

menos
09-09-2015, 07:47

Joni, thank you a lot for sharing this video!
It is a beautifully smooth lap you did there - learning a lot just by watching your video.
In many corners you simply ride it out in third gear on the engine's torque rather than shifting to second, unsettling the car. This feels much slower but obviously is a much faster way to go around the Ring.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast came to my mind when seeing you around the entire section from Karussell to Pflanzgarten - my favorite section on any racetrack!

The quickest time around the ring I managed was just a high 7:29min - I will try to improve with the new knowledge you taught us here!

wesker6664
09-09-2015, 08:13
But:
Maybe a stupid question, but did you check if the Denloc are fitted both at the front and at the rear ? (happened to me... i realized that i'd changed only at the front)
About downshifts, even though i haven't tried the car in AC, i don't think that a 3.3L should produce enough engine breake to lock the tyres of a RWD car sitting on 255/40/17 rear tyres. That said though, i find that generally in pCARS downshifting is not very involving and lacks character, it's difficult to describe.

wesker6664
09-09-2015, 08:24
Many cars are much too tame. Take the M1 Coupe for example. Around some corners I know somebody who's a higher up at BMW and gets such cars as company cars. He said a 135i is already difficult to drive if you turn all the electronic helpers off and the M1 even tops this. Jeremy Clarkson said he preferes to drive a Golf GTI instead of the M1 simply because the Golf isn't constantly trying to kill him. I see nothing of that behaviour ingame. Even with all helpers turned off I as a mediocre driver can handle it just fine without having to worry much about it going where I don't want it to.
BMW ///M models are not difficult to drive at all (on dry tarmac this is, wet and/or cold is totally another story). In fact they are precise, balanced, safe and built for performance, not to scare people. I've had a E46 M3 during 4 years, and i can tell you that it's impossible to spin the rear wheels on a straight line on dry tarmac (at least with the factory Contisport contacts). This is with the short geared E46, now with the awfully long gears they put in all cars it's even worse.

Ixoye56
09-09-2015, 21:10
I love the yellow bird, one of the best cars in the game, a real beast to wrestle with, I especially like to drive it on Nordschleife.

artao
15-09-2015, 04:07
The Yellowbird is one of my all-time fantasy cars since I was young in the 80s. ... well, 911's in general really.
To people complaining about how horrible it is, note that the Yellowbird is historically a notoriously difficult car to drive. It takes keen concentration and skilled handling, plus SMOOTH driving technique.
I've only had pCars for 3 days now, and was repeatedly trying to run the Community Event @ Nordschleiffe. ... LOVED IT!!! ... tho I didn't do to well. at all. didn't complete a single clean lap. (of course, this was completely default settings, as I only learned today that I can tune the setup in my garage and that applies to the Community Event)
I've driven the Yellowbird in every racing game I've had where it was available, and I've gotta say that so far this is the easiest version to drive that I've experienced. .. That may be due to the tires tho. As someone else pointed out in this thread, the default setup uses modern tires apparently.
I'm hoping to get some clean laps in tomorrow before the Community Event ends. Wasn't able to today.

Cheesenium
15-09-2015, 08:14
But:

I actually find pcars one to be even harder to drive than AC's one with 100% boost.

AC's cars generally felt too stable for me.

Joni Varis
16-09-2015, 03:47
Would be nice to know which tyres are actually used at default on this car? I did my first nordschleife event laps with untouched default setup & best time i got were 7.22.xxx, then yesterday tried masculin soft tyres & at first (and only) lap with those improved my time to 7.15.9

AdM1
16-09-2015, 04:22
It's definitely not one of those cars you can just jump in, sometimes I think I have it mastered then I don't use it for a while go back and I'm useless with it again until I've got into how it drives.

16-09-2015, 09:51
Would be nice to know which tyres are actually used at default on this car? I did my first nordschleife event laps with untouched default setup & best time i got were 7.22.xxx, then yesterday tried masculin soft tyres & at first (and only) lap with those improved my time to 7.15.9By the sound of it the mediums are the default, to make it able to compete with the more modern cars. They're pretty fun tyres as well and make the power of the car so much more controllable, but the real fun is with the Denlocs. =)

baronesbc
22-09-2015, 08:24
I did a comparison of my best laps at the Nurburgring between Ruf Yellowbirds of Pcars and AC, with soft and hard tires:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxxjJM9Ylp0

There are 6 seconds of difference in both laps, but I think that they are due mainly to the circuit, which is not scanned in Pcars, probably there are some differences.

Ralph B
29-09-2015, 20:01
Do you like the CTR Yellowbird - that was the initial question. YES - definitively yes with some restrictions. My favourites are generally youngtimers from early 70th to the 80th, so it matches perfectly my taste in optical and technical sense. Further I like challengin cars, that are fast but need some experience and skills to be driven at the limit. The Porsche 911, respective it's stronger offspring Ruf CTR is definitifely one of this cars. In pCars the default setup is a bit strange, amost undriveable, but after fiddling arround with the settings and some practice I think, uncovers an fantastic car with a great physics. Nothing for beginners, but incredible fast for it's era in the hands of someone who can handle it.

So far as good -but why did I say with some restrictions. Well, the brake heating is a bit overdone and makes the car almost useless on tracks, that are extreme demanding for the brakes (LeMans, Monza, Road America .... just to name a few). As a momentary workarround I avoid those tracks until the obvious bug is ironed out, but had tons of fun on other, less demanding tracks. It's really enjoyable to show some of the guys driving the CTR's modern successors, for what this old piece of iron is still good.

Sadly must say, after Patch4.0 lost a bit the fun, as additionally the engine is somehow messed up with a mysterious power lag (was allready adressed in annother thread) at about 5400rpm. This and the still present brake overheating have dampened my enthusiasm for the moment. But I have hope, that it will fixed in one of the next patches. Then the CTR will shurely become one of my favourites again.

MAARTEN
21-10-2015, 18:33
The Yellowbird has caught my attention. It is very fun in the exit of corners where you easily can have the rear to come out and then hold it there in a big skid. Very difficult car to handle if you drive it hard, but in the same time sooooo rewarding :smug:

davekojo
22-10-2015, 05:15
I'm a crap driver so I hate it... but it is also fun to drive. If you start off slowly and work your way to the limit you will have fun. But you will eventually spin and hit something.

But because its a game you won't die and instead you can have a little hissy fit and vow never to play PCars1 again, log onto to forum and claim the whole game is rubbish. :)

havocc
22-10-2015, 13:09
Best drift car ever

MAARTEN
22-10-2015, 18:53
I'm a crap driver so I hate it... but it is also fun to drive.

It's just practise and practise, and practise some more :)

chromcoupe
03-05-2016, 22:20
Check this out!! :D

Seems like you really have to hustle this car around.

https://youtu.be/1SEgGBQBtNg

Shogun613
04-05-2016, 12:46
Just drove the car for the first time yesterday, just to switch things up a bit. Took it to the Mojave test track to do some heel - toe practice while rowing down through the gears... A little light and loose in the rear, but treat the throttle with respect, and she's good fun.:cool: