PDA

View Full Version : How do I get my wheel to do a 180?

fa-racing
29-08-2015, 04:16
I race with a controller so this might be the problem.
Anyway, I noticed that some players can make their steering wheel move further past the 90 mark. So what I want to know is how to make my steering wheel turn past 90 or will I need an actual racing wheel irl?

Plage
29-08-2015, 06:38
I think the turn ratio is solely depending on what you've set the steering ratio to in the setup. Lowest value should be about 90 while full ratio should give you max turning (540-900) but I'm not sure if this applies to controllers as well as I don't have one.

fa-racing
29-08-2015, 12:28
It doesn't seem to matter what end of the scale I move it to, the steering wheel on goes 90

Tomcul
29-08-2015, 12:42
Controller only goes to 90.. You need to use a wheel to get full rotation. It's prob because he wouldn't be able to keep up with how quick the controller goes from lock to lock.

steviraikkonen
29-08-2015, 12:55
So would that explain why I can barely get round hairpins with my t80 wheel?

Mahjik
29-08-2015, 14:17
So would that explain why I can barely get round hairpins with my t80 wheel?

It is easier for pad players to go lock to lock, but they lack the fidelity of a wheel. So there is a trade off. However, your issue sounds like you need to make a compromise on your setup, just like real life drivers. i.e. in F1, they use a special steering rack for Monaco to handle the hairpin. However, it makes the car overly responsive so it's difficult to manage on the other areas of the track just to address the hairpin. You will have to do the same. If you are having a hard time with steering into a hairpin, make the steering ratio quicker but that will have an affect on the rest of the track.

steviraikkonen
29-08-2015, 17:29
It is easier for pad players to go lock to lock, but they lack the fidelity of a wheel. So there is a trade off. However, your issue sounds like you need to make a compromise on your setup, just like real life drivers. i.e. in F1, they use a special steering rack for Monaco to handle the hairpin. However, it makes the car overly responsive so it's difficult to manage on the other areas of the track just to address the hairpin. You will have to do the same. If you are having a hard time with steering into a hairpin, make the steering ratio quicker but that will have an affect on the rest of the track.

That makes sense but t80 doesn't actually go all the way round like the fancy wheels out there will that limit what I can do?

Mahjik
29-08-2015, 18:28
That makes sense but t80 doesn't actually go all the way round like the fancy wheels out there will that limit what I can do?

No, it will not limit. However, what will happen is that pCARS will compensate for the lack of rotation by making the steering not necessarily linear. i.e. if your wheel can only do 240 degrees, but the car's lock is say 600 degrees; pCARS will scale your controller so it can cover the whole 600 degrees of requirement movement with your limited 240 degrees of available rotation.

steviraikkonen
30-08-2015, 13:27
No, it will not limit. However, what will happen is that pCARS will compensate for the lack of rotation by making the steering not necessarily linear. i.e. if your wheel can only do 240 degrees, but the car's lock is say 600 degrees; pCARS will scale your controller so it can cover the whole 600 degrees of requirement movement with your limited 240 degrees of available rotation.

Ok, I usually speed it up to 9:4:1 (something like that) so you think I should go faster? Guess it will be a handful! Thanks for the advice!

Mahjik
30-08-2015, 15:56
Ok, I usually speed it up to 9:4:1 (something like that) so you think I should go faster? Guess it will be a handful! Thanks for the advice!

It's a matter of balance. You have to the find the right balance for your driving style. Increasing the ratio is going to make the car a handful around the track however it will make the hairpins easier. You have to find your balance for the hairpins and the rest of the track.