PDA

View Full Version : Call me crazy but I kinda miss the grind

arthurino
02-09-2015, 01:37
I'm well aware that from the outset SMS stated that the game would not feature the typical grind to unlock facets used in other titles. As such this isn't a rant nor complaint, just an opinion. I wish there was some element of progression or reward system in place to further enhance the desire to play and dare I say, level up. I really enjoyed the system Driveclub used with unlocks that weren't left beyond reach or cookie crumbs compelling micro transactions. Just an observation. I still enjoy the game immensely but miss the pavlovian sense of reward.

jason
02-09-2015, 01:45
Ill be back in a second "runs off I need to look up pavlovian" ...

ok im back , this should help ...................Classical conditioning (also known as Pavlovian or respondent conditioning) is a learning process in which an innate response to a potent stimulus comes to be elicited in response to a previously neutral stimulus; this is achieved by repeated pairings of the neutral stimulus with the potent stimulus.

Yes I miss this feeling too!

arthurino
02-09-2015, 02:35
Lol Jason

Bealdor
02-09-2015, 05:54
You're crazy!

:p

inthebagbud
02-09-2015, 06:07
Ill be back in a second "runs off I need to look up pavlovian" ...

ok im back , this should help ...................Classical conditioning (also known as Pavlovian or respondent conditioning) is a learning process in which an innate response to a potent stimulus comes to be elicited in response to a previously neutral stimulus; this is achieved by repeated pairings of the neutral stimulus with the potent stimulus.

Yes I miss this feeling too!

I think I might miss it if I could understand what the hell it means

Haiden
02-09-2015, 19:54
But once the grind is over, then what? Seems kind of pointless if you plan to stick around and play the game for the long haul. The grind only last a few weeks. In a game like Forza 5, that I played for about two years, the bulk of my experience was after the grind. Same for Forza 4.

What I'd like to see in Project Cars is ability to create a custom season with variable weather forecasts.

Fight-Test
02-09-2015, 21:38
The real grind in any racing game is when your in a good competitive series. When you practice week after week to just try and fight you way into that top 3. Late nights tuning, getting ffb just right. Trying to find that extra few tenths you need in qualification to get on the front row. Watching telemetry and replays to find where you can be better/faster. Following other drivers to see if you can steal some secrets on where speed is gained. Running 40 and 50 lap stints with all the different tires in different weather conditions so you have base lines on tire life and what heavy full load feels like. Learning where you can adjust brake bias from corner to corner to gain a tenth or to balance car after fuel burn-off. Running laps to check engine temps and brake temps to make sure on a long run you don't lose a engine or braking ability.

The grind is the be the best, the fastest, the most respected driver in your series.

Flaw3dGenius
02-09-2015, 21:43
Maybe not so much the grind but the career could of been more interesting. I keep restarting it doing 3 or 4 seasons and get bored and end up just doing race weekends/single races.

It really could of been doing with a mode like Rivals on Forza as well (has it on PC just not consoles)

flymar
02-09-2015, 21:59
Well I thought I'll miss it but it's not the issue. After many games of that kind I feel good when I don't chase unlocks, XP bars or ladders. What I miss instead of it is the sense of persistence. In career and in Solo races. For example I wish there was one big ranking - who is the best driver. Or civ-like achievements car/track combo 80%/90%/100% 20+ AI 10+ laps won. Or loots of statistics - e.g. PB and WR of top speed of car/track with engineer telling you when you beat them - this kind of stuff.

arthurino
03-09-2015, 03:01
Excellent feedback. Good points Fight-Test and flymar. I think the magic lies someplace between your two points...someway to better document your achievements and such would go a long way in alleviating the missing sense of progression. The career mode is pretty barren and without soul...given the fact that multiplayer is mostly a hodge podge of demolition derby lobbies and the clean racers are in different time zones than me I find TT and sinhle player my only options. Sigh...first world problems.

Tomcul
03-09-2015, 12:51
I don't miss the grind one bit spent too many hours repeating the same race over and over again just to get enough credits to buy a certain car.. Love how I can try and tune them all from the start. Also really enjoy the career mode do all races at 100% length and you won't be bored anytime soon..
But then again that's just me..

m355y
03-09-2015, 12:59
I don't miss it in the slightest. I personally hate having to trawl through three lap race after three lap race to get to the next tier of stuff in career mode, it bores me rigid. Games don't even come with cheats these days to fast forward, I just want to choose a car from all the ones in the game, choose a track from all the ones in the game, and get going. I paid 50 for the thing, I want to have access to it all from the start. DLC keeps things interesting. I think the 'access it all out of the box' approach from PC and Grid Autosport is absolutely fantastic.

Urinal2001
03-09-2015, 14:23
The biggest downside of the non-grind method for me, is that it doesnt force me to play series' that i dont like, i now just sidestep them for a discipline that i enjoy more. It sounds like a great thing right, but ends up making the career somewhat shorter, and i feel like if it wasnt an option id wind up mastering a new driving style and would have another set of cars to enjoy playing with. For all the shortcomings that a game like GT has, i HAD to compete in series' that i maybe wouldnt have chosen to in order to unlock the prize at the end, and as a bonefide completionist, it served to extend the lifespan of the title for me.

-Brick_Top-
04-09-2015, 17:53
i must be missing something if you want a goal to aim for ....... platinum trophy???
I admit it's doesn't look like an exactly hard game to platinum but regardless there's a target for you right away.

wyldanimal
04-09-2015, 18:16
I don't miss the grind one bit spent too many hours repeating the same race over and over again just to get enough credits to buy a certain car.. Love how I can try and tune them all from the start. Also really enjoy the career mode do all races at 100% length and you won't be bored anytime soon..
But then again that's just me..

^-------

That Up there.. each one is it's own Grind to Win.
Does it matter that you Don't progress form karts up to Formula A...
Pick your Career and your car.. and grind away at it...

FS7
04-09-2015, 20:50
I don't miss grind at all. I played a few career races but most of my time with PCars has been spent in solo mode, either practicing or doing custom races. Having a mode where all cars, tracks & options are unlocked from the start is the best thing ever imo.

Iirc there are unlockables/rewards in career mode, there are trophies, accolades, invitationals, contracts in higher tiers, etc. There is progression, one can ignore solo mode, start career mode at the bottom in karts and work their way up until they get to LMP1.
One thing that I think would be an improvement in career is something similar to Autolog in Shift 2, every time you enter a career event there would be a friends leaderboard showing their best results, if you beat their best result they'd get a notification and could replay the event and try to beat your best result.