PDA

View Full Version : Brake temps reset on pit exit?

Gravit8
02-09-2015, 07:54
Is it a known issue? Or is it intended to work that way?
Does anything else reset?

Edit: to clarify. The brake temperatures reset from around 2 to 3 hundred back to ambient as soon as manual control kicks in.
Shouldn't be like that.

QPRLad
02-09-2015, 11:39
I've seen this but just assumed this only happens on GT3 cars when you head out for practice/quali. Never looked in the race. Or on other cars which use tire warmers.

Yorkie065
02-09-2015, 11:56
I believe it's due to the mechanics changing the brake discs so obviously the new ones aren't up to temperature. Try turning it off in the repairs tab and see if it makes a difference. Annoyingly, repairs on the car don't take anywhere near as long as it should as is done almost instantly, and I'm hoping that this will change in the future.

QPRLad
02-09-2015, 18:56
That makes sense but if ou look at the telemetry going down the pit lane, the brakes are at 2/300'C then as soon as it goes back to manual control the drop to 0. Which obviously isn't right.

Gravit8
02-09-2015, 21:14
I believe it's due to the mechanics changing the brake discs so obviously the new ones aren't up to temperature. Try turning it off in the repairs tab and see if it makes a difference. Annoyingly, repairs on the car don't take anywhere near as long as it should as is done almost instantly, and I'm hoping that this will change in the future.

Ya. Change would be great. Seems like a bug. Small one. But a bug none the less.
Repairing brake discs? More like replacing slightly worn ones for no reason. If I have damaged discs. That would be a spectacular feat. Not even sure why option to repair would be an option. Only way to destroy discs would be to total car. Brake discs are made to last multiple race distances. Except F1.
Might as well add it to the list of small bugs. Because it should not work like this. Intentional or not.

Real_Reece
02-09-2015, 21:59
Ya. Change would be great. Seems like a bug. Small one. But a bug none the less.
Repairing brake discs? More like replacing slightly worn ones for no reason. If I have damaged discs. That would be a spectacular feat. Not even sure why option to repair would be an option. Only way to destroy discs would be to total car. Brake discs are made to last multiple race distances. Except F1.
Might as well add it to the list of small bugs. Because it should not work like this. Intentional or not.

They changed discs and pass in the spa 24hr this year

QPRLad
02-09-2015, 22:14

Endurance races require several disc & pad changes. Looked at mine early, I come out my pit box with them at 80'C. They rise to 80/90 (front/back) and all reset at 80'C when manual control takes over.
Yes it's a big but I don't really car about it.

Yorkie065
03-09-2015, 11:56

What I meant was changing discs, so swapping them for new ones instead of repairing them which would then reset the brake temperatures. There is brake fade in the game, and I have felt it over a longer race where the brakes feel a little more spongy and don't seem to be biting as much as they did in the earlier stages. New pads will obviously bring the bite of the brakes back with a completely new set of disks and pads. If you turn off the brake disc repair (or swap) in the repairs tab, the brakes SHOULD stay at the temperature they were previously, and if not then obviously thats a bug.

The temperatures resetting when you leave (providing they were swapped for new ones) isn't too much of an issue as I believe this is done by design, it would be nice to see it done before you leave the pit box so you can see in real time that they have been swapped. But the major issue I think is that they're done in a matter of seconds, when brake swaps would probably take a minute or two or more. It would be good to see this in the game, and potentially it scalable to the race distance you do as you obviously don't want to be sat in the pits for 2 minutes when you have a brake issue during a 15 lap race. Sure it would be realistic, but not great game design. For example of what could be a better solution is say; a race that lasts less than 1 hour would take 20% of the time to change brake pads & discs, a race between 1-2 hours it takes 50% of the time to make the change, and anything longer than 2 hours, the full time to change pads and discs. Could also potentially be done across the whole repairs and damage aspects/ mechanics if it is something that is feasible.

QPRLad
03-09-2015, 12:13
It would be good to see this in the game, and potentially it scalable to the race distance you do as you obviously don't want to be sat in the pits for 2 minutes when you have a brake issue during a 15 lap race. Sure it would be realistic, but not great game design. For example of what could be a better solution is say; a race that lasts less than 1 hour would take 20% of the time to change brake pads & discs, a race between 1-2 hours it takes 50% of the time to make the change, and anything longer than 2 hours, the full time to change pads and discs. Could also potentially be done across the whole repairs and damage aspects/ mechanics if it is something that is feasible.

Nice idea but I think it falls into the same category as safety cars & real time damage repair. Both happen all the time in racing and have a huge impact on the outcome of a race but aren't really need for Race Sims. If I entered a 2hour race and hit a barrier and had to go back to the pits and wait 15-20mins for them to fix a bit & add duct tape my car, it would be pretty poor. Life like, but pretty boring an not really needed. Same with a safety, good idea, novelty would wear off after 3 laps of following it.

Haiden
03-09-2015, 15:12
That makes sense but if ou look at the telemetry going down the pit lane, the brakes are at 2/300'C then as soon as it goes back to manual control the drop to 0. Which obviously isn't right.

But don't other things like tire temp and oil, water, etc. not kick in until manual control takes over. Heading out for the outlap, most of those don't register in the motec until you get manual control. Perhaps, when pitting from the race, they just retain the old readings, and don't update until manual control is restored. If that's the case, then the bug is just the timing of the refresh.

Schnizz58
03-09-2015, 15:50
But don't other things like tire temp and oil, water, etc. not kick in until manual control takes over. Heading out for the outlap, most of those don't register in the motec until you get manual control. Perhaps, when pitting from the race, they just retain the old readings, and don't update until manual control is restored. If that's the case, then the bug is just the timing of the refresh.
You can see things like tire temp and pressure change in the telemetry HUD during a pit stop. In fact as soon as a new set of tires goes on, you can see the new type/pressure/temp data on the screen while you're still on the air jack.

Gravit8
03-09-2015, 22:51
Endurance races require several disc & pad changes. Looked at mine early, I come out my pit box with them at 80'C. They rise to 80/90 (front/back) and all reset at 80'C when manual control takes over.
Yes it's a big but I don't really car about it.

Yes. Small thing. Only takes a couple corners to heat them back up. But it shouldn't always be like that. I can see why it's there for endurance. I'll have a look to see if it can be avoided by leaving brake repair off.

Elmo
04-09-2015, 20:40
I have tested this. When you don't change the brakes, they only cool down a little bit during the pit stops (because you are not using them). A new set of brakes obviously will be cold.

Bealdor
04-09-2015, 20:50
I have tested this. When you don't change the brakes, they only cool down a little bit during the pit stops (because you are not using them). A new set of brakes obviously will be cold.

I think it would be a good idea to set all repair options to OFF at default.

GenBrien
04-09-2015, 23:17
I think it would be a good idea to set all repair options to OFF at default.

I dont think all would be good.

Maybe only brakes?

At least Aero and radiator ON

Gravit8
05-09-2015, 11:08
Can confirm. When you change Repair option. It behaves appropriately.

If people still peeking in here. Anyone know how long a brake repair takes the crew and if it's accounted for in the stop? or is it a freebie anyway?

Otherwise I keep the repair off. Nice to keep the heat coming out of pits anyway.
What would be their failure or damage point?
Like why ever change. Anyone run into a reason to in endurance? And why?

mcarver2000
06-09-2015, 16:36
I don't think any time is spent in game fixing the brakes. Even an engine repair does not make for a longer pit stop (or if it is extended, it is extremely minimal).