PDA

View Full Version : Kers, can someone explain?

VonSchwerin
03-09-2015, 14:22
Iv been doing this for a month now and tryed different cars.
The formula A is fun but i dont understand the function of kers.
Isnt it full in real life when a F1 car starts a new lap?
I cant use the whole white "line", it stops before it reaches the end? Sometimes its more and sometimes less. If i use it just before the startingline, do i get less kers the rest of the lap?
Could someone please explain?

Felipe Becker
03-09-2015, 14:24
https://youtu.be/vhwVjzbRps4

VonSchwerin
03-09-2015, 14:43
Thanks a lot Felipe, very informative!

miagi
03-09-2015, 16:02
Iv been doing this for a month now and tryed different cars.
The formula A is fun but i dont understand the function of kers.
Isnt it full in real life when a F1 car starts a new lap?
I cant use the whole white "line", it stops before it reaches the end? Sometimes its more and sometimes less. If i use it just before the startingline, do i get less kers the rest of the lap?
Could someone please explain?
About F1 in real life. What you described is the system the V8 NA engines had. As they started a new lap their 6s KERS usage per lap were renewed. They may only use the KERS for 6s per lap, when they used it up, they needed to wait for the next lap for another charge. That was only the rule, technically the batteries need charge to use the KERS too, and if they don't have enough electric power stored, they can't use it. But usually the F1 cars didn't had a problem regenerating the batteries. Now it depends on what the white line is showing, is it showing the usage time or the battery load.

KERS means Kinetic energy recovery system. There is a electric motor/generator attached to the crank shaft. On braking, thru the crank shaft, the clutch, gearbox, differential, drive train and tires the generator can collect energy from the movement of the car. So kinetic energy the car has is transformed on braking into electric energy stored in a battery. And can be later on used in the electric motor to add torque to the crank shaft.

Some cars like the Caterham SP.300R don't have a KERS system, they have a push-to-pass system. Depends on the system but on the press of the button the car only generates more boost or the engine put out more torque or more power for a short time. Obviously such a system needs regulation and rules. In the series I know, they have a certain amount of charges per race. They can use it whenever and wherever they want until they run out of usages, afaik.

VonSchwerin
03-09-2015, 16:25
Thanks Miagi.
Iv found an articel on 2014 ERS, 160hp for 33sec per lap. thats hell of a lot more than KERS !

donpost
03-09-2015, 16:31
https://youtu.be/vhwVjzbRps4

That's a really informative and helpful video - thank you!