PDA

View Full Version : Is there a list of all possible mechanical failures?

Pappa_Stig
05-09-2015, 01:26
As it says in the title, is there a list of all of the mechanical failures possible in Pcars?

I've had people tell me you can get punctures, gearbox problems, and even electrical problems, but I can't find any official info on what reliability problems you can get, let alone ones that lead to failures.

Could anyone please give me a list of things that can go wrong on the cars?

Also someone told me their wipers stopped working during an endurance race while it was raining, but they weren't sure if it was a bug or a genuine thing that can go wrong.

Gravit8
05-09-2015, 11:05
I to would love to know more about the specifics. I have had the car die on me a few times. Alternator or electrical. Lost lights and stuff. Happened in high revving close ratio boxes where I'm prone to more over revs.

tclancey
05-09-2015, 13:13
Agreed, a list of issues would be great. Personally I haven't seen any apart from my car stopping once, but then I just had to start it again. I run long races so I'm surprised I haven't had more issues. (Yes I have failures turned on!)

Pappa_Stig
06-09-2015, 02:49
Yeah it seems odd that SMS wouldn't be actually telling everyone about all the possibilities for reliability problems.

madmax2069
06-09-2015, 03:45
So far I have seen
engine failures
gearbox failures
electrical failures
tire blowouts

But not much else.

Gravit8
06-09-2015, 04:01
So far I have seen
engine failures
gearbox failures
electrical failures
tire blowouts

But not much else.

Three of those I'm sure you have some idea how they happened right?
Your thoughts on when you had electrics failure and what caused it? Or did it feel random?

madmax2069
06-09-2015, 04:32
Three of those I'm sure you have some idea how they happened right?
Your thoughts on when you had electrics failure and what caused it? Or did it feel random?

Blown engine by feeling the rev limiter a tad bit too much or for too long, or the motor got too hot.

Gearbox failures sometimes feel random (especially when it happens when you pit), but can happen from improper shifting.

Tire blow out is either due to overly worn tires, hitting a kurb too hard, and maybe running over shrapnel in the road.

I've only ran into the electrical failure a few times when on the track, I ran into them more often when I pit (which just feels random)

Roger Prynne
06-09-2015, 13:05
I've posted the question about a list to the Devs.

Gravit8
06-09-2015, 22:39
That would be cool. As well as knowing about any warning lights installed on the cars.
I was out in the formula rookie, and I got a light indicator going on in the tachometer area.
Little orangish light between 3 & 4 thousand revs. Not always there, but was coming on at high revs potentially warning me of some kind of failure?

hkraft300
07-09-2015, 01:42
Thanks Roger!

I've had mech failure warning with high boost running in Lotus 98T and RWD P30. Also blown engines in them and other cars from overheating. Also in the Lotus at 5.8-6 bar boost you won't get mechanical failure warning just sudden catastrophic failure.

I've had punctures. No gearbox or electrical issues on track yet - only in pits once or twice and I'm not sure what brought them on. Haven't had brake fail but >700C on steel rotors they pretty much give up. Engineer Ben only gives me warnings when I'm over 1000C which I've only reached in LMP and FA cars, but carbon brakes handle that temperature all day, right? I'd imagine if I keep running steel brakes that hot they'll completely give up but haven't made it that far yet.

CreasingCurve1
07-09-2015, 02:04
ive over heated steel brakes plenty of times. you just set the brake bias to the front and select a car that has plenty of power or 4WD. I use the Audi 90 IMSA GTO and they can get up to 1900F or around 1000C and they don't fail they just don't stop the car.

hkraft300
07-09-2015, 02:19
Ye they don't stop lol try that at full tilt in the Lotus 98T at 200mph approaching the bus stop chicane at Spa and it doesn't want to stop - that's an "oh s***" moment alright!

Pappa_Stig
07-09-2015, 04:31
I've posted the question about a list to the Devs.

Cheers mate, the more info they give us the better :)

leithnow
07-09-2015, 04:50
Cheers mate, the more info they give us the better :)

I know right? Maybe we could get one of them to write a book with all these details, that'd be sweet. I have the perfect title for them if they get any volunteers to do it: "Project Cars Manual."