PDA

View Full Version : Project Cars ate my PSU

TrevorAustin
06-09-2015, 14:06
Purchased a relative economy psu, the powercool modular 850, when I built the latest PC in May, Mistake, an hour in to a 2 hour race last night and it literally exploded, took the main house fuse out and filled downstairs with vile smelling smoke.

Called Amazon to explain and had a refund before I had even finished my phone call. Replaced with a Corsair RM850, hopefully a lot more reliable.

Umer Ahmad
06-09-2015, 14:08
ah man, hope the rest of your PC is ok. Always go with strong PSU units (brand, rating, etc.) as they are the foundation to your PC build.

hotak
06-09-2015, 14:12
yep, expecially if you're getting an high end PC you should spend for a good PSU, the non-branded ones will always fail before a year. And always take 100-200w more than what you need because a current spike could take down even a good PSU (i got a 650w corsair and a 650w coolermaster burned before deciding to go for a 850w XFX)

marcdxn
06-09-2015, 14:19
Corsairs are some of the best rated PSU's you can buy without being spanked
But no matter what the brand nothing lasts forever, would never recommend a no name psu or a name thats not been tried and tested though.

Charger
06-09-2015, 15:09
I had a relatively good PSU a Thermaltake a few years back which exploded on me, I thought it was a 600watt one but only realised it was 360watts when I removed it lol, it lasted well considering I ran my Q6600 overclocked 24/7 and ran a GTX260 with it as well dual 6pin power, must have been busting it's guts every day for 2 years lol.

It's a bit scary when they let go and the stink they leave is foul.

TrevorAustin
06-09-2015, 15:15
I was thinking about changing it anyway, it was the only budget item I had.

just finished the rebuild and thank god everything else seems fine. And it only cost me 60 to upgrade with the 65 refund from Amazon. Just relieved Maplins had it in stock.

Don't ever get powercool psu, just read the reviews of the 850, looks like I did well getting 4 months out of it!

Charger
06-09-2015, 15:20
I had a guy buy a case from Maplins and it came with a CIT 600w PSU and he asked me to build him a PC in it, I said the PSU was crap but he insisted, built it up and I lean't over to power it up on the PSU switch and it blew up on first turn on right near my face, brown trouser moment that was!!

Never skimp on a PSU, I only buy Corsair now although I did get a good deal on an Antec 900w which is yet to be fitted to replace my Thermaltake 750w which has been pretty good.

F2kSel
06-09-2015, 15:36
A mate had a power cut the other week, when it came back on PC wouldn't start.
It turns out the PSU had gone and also his mouse, he had to buy replacements and all is fine again.

I took the Enermax PSU and took it apart I found one blown capacitor when this was replaced it started to work again.
Personally I wouldn't use it in a PC again as other capacitors may well be on the way out and could destroy more than a mouse, I'll keep it for testing and use as a bench power supply.

Kitt
06-09-2015, 20:08
I've got a CIT PSU,not for long though,got a xfx 650w Black Edition arriving this week.Reading up on how crap the CIT PSU's are I'm surprised its lasted a year

-carbo-
06-09-2015, 22:13
My last two dramas with my PC were caused by my PSU. My most recent when my 4 year old Antec High Current 750w's fan stopped working. I hadn't noticed and only did so when I replaced my graphics card and got a few thermal shutdowns. Of course I blamed the new card at first. Also, Antec support were awesome btw and it's still covered under 5 year warranty!

Invincible
06-09-2015, 22:18
What I had to learn the hard way was that PSU suffer from power loss over the years. My old Corsair 650 W PSU barely hit 500 watts after five years of service. Now I got the Evga G2 850W, whith 10 years extended warranty. So, I think this one will more or less be the last man standing in my current build. Seems like it will take part in the next build too.

Mulder89
07-09-2015, 10:57
Always prioritize quality over wattage, aim for 90+% efficiency. Google reviews and decide:)

TrevorAustin
07-09-2015, 11:05
replaced with an RM850, gold certified. Interestingly has allowed a higher overclock, I guess that is down to greater voltage consistency.

Sankyo
07-09-2015, 11:32
The (peak) power rating of a PSU is mostly a marketing thing as it calls on the 'bigger is better' idea. I've done power usage measurements many times on my PC, it has an i7 2600K CPU overclocked to 4.4 GHz, 2x GTX780 SLI, separate sound card and all that, and when running pCARS it hardly gets over 400W power drawn from the mains. And for such a system they recommend almost a 1kW PSU these days, 'just to be safe'. Build quality and max possible current on the 12V rails is much more important.

Charger
08-09-2015, 03:41
I always use this as a reference point for new PSU's, comes in very handy with the linked reviews and you can also see who actually manufacture them http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page447.htm