PDA

View Full Version : Frame rate on line

Mrbrown33
07-09-2015, 19:09
is anyone else having a problem with the game constantly speeding up and slowing down on line?

rtazz17
07-09-2015, 21:01
Not me.Some lag occasionally

Der Ambergauer
08-09-2015, 09:12
Yesterday it was - first time for me - awfull!

Gre vom Ambergauer

grrrillapmp
08-09-2015, 11:38
Yes.

andybell
08-09-2015, 11:50
Online & Offline............not as bad as it used to be but still there.

bobbylion
08-09-2015, 12:10
Online & Offline............not as bad as it used to be but still there.

I was just searching on youtube for frame rate tests and both PS4 and Xbox struggle to run at 50 let alone 60, both average about 35-45 on the tests. All sort of over my head but maybe should of locked this game at 50 ..

Ian Bell
08-09-2015, 12:18
I was just searching on youtube for frame rate tests and both PS4 and Xbox struggle to run at 50 let alone 60, both average about 35-45 on the tests. All sort of over my head but maybe should of locked this game at 50 ..

That is absolutely not the case. You might be looking at old videos.

(Apart from under very heavy circumstances.)

You can't lock at 50. Well you could but it would be terrible.

nissan4ever
08-09-2015, 12:20
What's disappointing is that digital foundry hasn't done a frame rate test for Project CARS since Patch 1.4. I really wanted to see it after Patch 2.0. Now Patch 3.0 is out, they still haven't revisited the game.

Besides, I think Ian had said it was at 60fps 95% of the time, post Patch 2.0.

Ian Bell
08-09-2015, 12:23
We're 60 FPS now on Xbox with 26 cars on the start line of our heaviest track (Monaco).

nissan4ever
08-09-2015, 12:26
Ian, I could tell a difference with Patch 3.0. Remember my Spa test after patch 2.0. With full grid was a 2:20. After patch 3.0, I could run a 2:16 with full grid. It's getting better & better. Run 23 cars, the game runs great.

Ian Bell
08-09-2015, 12:29
Ian, I could tell a difference with Patch 3.0. Remember my Spa test after patch 2.0. With full grid was a 2:20. After patch 3.0, I could run a 2:16 with full grid. It's getting better & better. Run 23 cars, the game runs great.

Yup, and there's still a little bit more to come, not much but every little helps.

nissan4ever
08-09-2015, 12:30
That's great to hear Ian.

cornishbrooksy
08-09-2015, 12:37
I really hope digital foundry can and do re-test the game. This game has made massive strides since release day.

baz00ka
08-09-2015, 12:38
Superkarts on Sakitto in career mode, cant recall number of AIs but didnt change default anything, time of day is about sunset, plenty of sun flare. Xbox is in offline mode, nothing else is installed or running, pCars is the only game installed so plenty of free disk space too. Heavy frame rate issues, everything is slowing down, especially in corners. Once there is some distance leaving AI few seconds behind after 1st lap it gets better. Seriously man, dial down on graphics. If you cant get a stable framerate then graphical aspect looks crap anyway when its all chopped or turns into slow down speed up thing.

We're 60 FPS now on Xbox with 26 cars on the start line of our heaviest track (Monaco).

KkDrummer
08-09-2015, 14:30
Superkarts on Sakitto in career mode, cant recall number of AIs but didnt change default anything, time of day is about sunset, plenty of sun flare. Xbox is in offline mode, nothing else is installed or running, pCars is the only game installed so plenty of free disk space too. Heavy frame rate issues, everything is slowing down, especially in corners. Once there is some distance leaving AI few seconds behind after 1st lap it gets better. Seriously man, dial down on graphics. If you cant get a stable framerate then graphical aspect looks crap anyway when its all chopped or turns into slow down speed up thing.

yeah... Sakitto is pretty bad. I try to avoid it at all costs. Light effects at this track is pretty demanding or it has not been optimized for Xbox One.
Overall Pcars has improved FR a lot. I still would like to see more optimizations at certain corners though, like corner 2 at Brands Hatch which is now flawless. Lemans, Spa are 2 tracks that would definitely benefit from some tweaking.

And the biggest issue I still see with framerate and performance is weather changes...when it is about to rain for example you can see the game struggles to process the background changes and keep a steady framerate.

derekthetree
08-09-2015, 15:18
I would agree, did a 1hr race at Spa over the weekend online with 2 players and 7 AI and had some bad choppiness through Eau Rouge. Not sure if it was lag or framerate, but seemed inconsistent, but noticeable

grrrillapmp
08-09-2015, 15:30
hockenheim ring, night into morning, foggy, sixteen racers online....chop city. Whole corners were being chopped out.

Returned to pit and just watched, which was still really choppy.

EMW Grogan
08-09-2015, 15:44
is anyone else having a problem with the game constantly speeding up and slowing down on line?

Its not framerate, its the 'surge'. It does it in all game modes, even TT. I notice it most against a ghost or MP on a straight.

Its bloody awfull when it happens mid corner and when overtaking its a nightmare. It doesnt look like lag ( can there be lag in TT ? )

bobbylion
08-09-2015, 15:48
That is absolutely not the case. You might be looking at old videos.

(Apart from under very heavy circumstances.)

You can't lock at 50. Well you could but it would be terrible.

Yes going back to check, they were indeed old, latest ones are patch 1.4 i think. So i echo others when i say i hope they retest.

Having said that Snetterton is bad for flickering sky, screen tear and the flashes of white on cars. I notice its the slow sharp corners which create most screen tear, not sure why as i'm not a computer programmer but is there a reason for that?

baz00ka
08-09-2015, 20:21
thats where framerate nosedives the worst for me and its the most extreme example but there are others. Laguna Seca is another one with mclaren 12 gt3 and there it doesnt nosedive as badly but goes in short bursts like still pretty effing annoying and it also has chopped sound not to mention that exhaust sound which makes me feel like i'm driving for goodfellas with dead body in the trunk (just funny dont mind it really). Zolder not as bad but different glitch with screen tearing at times, does not affect driving but very noticeable.

my point and request is this. if you fellas at SMS cant sacrifice on pretty graphics at least provide some option/s where end users can choose to dial the graphics down themselves in favour of stable framerate via game settings. its a fair request. you already pushed out what 3 patches and its dead obvious you have no more low hanging fruit for optimizations (mirror tricks and how it worked is a good tell). i understand that consoles and xbox1 in particular are a stretch for this game and while i want to believe in miracles and the next patch bringing stable framerate across the board could we have that option in it to dial graphics down still ? pretty please, with sugar on top! or an option to lock the AI number if that helps to get a stable framerate. or both.

yeah... Sakitto is pretty bad. I try to avoid it at all costs. Light effects at this track is pretty demanding or it has not been optimized for Xbox One.
Overall Pcars has improved FR a lot. I still would like to see more optimizations at certain corners though, like corner 2 at Brands Hatch which is now flawless. Lemans, Spa are 2 tracks that would definitely benefit from some tweaking.

And the biggest issue I still see with framerate and performance is weather changes...when it is about to rain for example you can see the game struggles to process the background changes and keep a steady framerate.

bobbylion
08-09-2015, 20:40
I just had a play with the visual options and turned them all off bar the 'bloom', makes slight difference. Anyway still love this game and I can live with it and at times it still blows my mind and looks gorgeous.

baz00ka
08-09-2015, 21:25
it has been said earlier by the staff here that none of those existing graphical options have any remotely significant effect on framerate.

nissan4ever
09-09-2015, 16:50
Superkarts on Sakitto in career mode

I just finished Superkart championship at Sakitto during my 2nd season of career. There were 12 AI in the grid during the race. I saw zero speed up/down of the on screen action. I was in helmet cam view. I have all visual effects on (default ones on), including heat haze (cut this one on after patch 3.0). Console is on power saver. Always go straight to Project CARS when I cut console on (when i'm going to play it).

I think what it boils down to is what do you have as system apps. Besides console mandatory apps, I got Netflix, ESPN & YouTube. None of those 3 apps will run in the background at all. I think that's where the problem lies. Stuff like Skype & NFL for example. Run in the background.

Another possible reason would be where your console is located at. How good is ventilation & overall temp of the room you are playing in.

Every track mentioned here, where slow down/speed up was seen driving these karts. I never saw it. This is my first time driving these karts in career. I never really did career till patch 3.0.

I used to see the speed up/slow down, before patch 2.0. I definitely don't see it after Patch 3.0.

Lagoa
09-09-2015, 17:06

Speak for yourself.. I don't want no dialed down grphx, framerate is fine here. Just sometimes a small hickup, but nothing too bad.

baz00ka
09-09-2015, 20:53
like i said nothing else is running or even installed on xbox and its also offline. xbox is well ventilated, room is not hot. if it helps devs to address the issue i can measure both xbox and ambient temperature. i'm not the only one here with framerate nosedives including on Sakitto. i think what it boils down to is this game simply cannot sustain a stable framerate across the board on xbox and i dont give flying monkey about how many fanbois here tell me otherwise, it works for them, great but does not help me. if it was a question of optimization or nailing a memory leak i would have thought it would have been addressed by now after 3 patches and it isnt. if it means i have to dial down on graphics detail i would do it (i dont want to sacrifice physics or ffb btw bc if that happens this game gets binned). if someone suggest a proven workaround i would do it. i'm already running xbox in offline to minimize how often framerate nosedives but its a bandaid, it still does happen.

I just finished Superkart championship at Sakitto during my 2nd season of career. There were 12 AI in the grid during the race. I saw zero speed up/down of the on screen action. I was in helmet cam view. I have all visual effects on (default ones on), including heat haze (cut this one on after patch 3.0). Console is on power saver. Always go straight to Project CARS when I cut console on (when i'm going to play it).

I think what it boils down to is what do you have as system apps. Besides console mandatory apps, I got Netflix, ESPN & YouTube. None of those 3 apps will run in the background at all. I think that's where the problem lies. Stuff like Skype & NFL for example. Run in the background.

Another possible reason would be where your console is located at. How good is ventilation & overall temp of the room you are playing in.

Every track mentioned here, where slow down/speed up was seen driving these karts. I never saw it. This is my first time driving these karts in career. I never really did career till patch 3.0.

I used to see the speed up/slow down, before patch 2.0. I definitely don't see it after Patch 3.0.

nissan4ever
09-09-2015, 22:52
like i said nothing else is running or even installed on xbox and its also offline. xbox is well ventilated, room is not hot. if it helps devs to address the issue i can measure both xbox and ambient temperature. i'm not the only one here with framerate nosedives including on Sakitto. i think what it boils down to is this game simply cannot sustain a stable framerate across the board on xbox and i dont give flying monkey about how many fanbois here tell me otherwise, it works for them, great but does not help me. if it was a question of optimization or nailing a memory leak i would have thought it would have been addressed by now after 3 patches and it isnt. if it means i have to dial down on graphics detail i would do it (i dont want to sacrifice physics or ffb btw bc if that happens this game gets binned). if someone suggest a proven workaround i would do it. i'm already running xbox in offline to minimize how often framerate nosedives but its a bandaid, it still does happen.

Bazooka, it sounds like something is wrong with your console. You say you play offline. Project CARS is the only thing installed on it. Yet you still experiencing speed up & down. I'm curious. What TV are you using? What's the hz refresh rate? Does it have a game mode for video games? Something is causing your copy to run poorly. Have you gone over a friend's house and play it on their Xbox One?

Like I said, I just ran that Superkart in career (actually did, first time). All 5 tracks I went to in that championship series ran smooth. With the 12 AI grid. Remember, I did start over completely after patch 3.0. I never really dabbled in career. I chose to wait a couple patches before I wanted to take career mode seriously. Like I said, I didn't experience the speed up or slow down. I don't ever have my console offline either. I even turned on heat haze in graphics (never did before patch 3.0).

Why does it run poorly on some people consoles is beyond me. There's 2 things about Project CARS I don't like. The sound bug & can't run solo lap time equivalent with a full grid (game runs fine with 23 or less AI, regardless of weather).

baz00ka
09-09-2015, 23:39
@nissan dude, i know you are trying to help but seriously this is a waste of time. if someone from the dev is interested in exact tv model, mode, resolution and refresh rate and ambient temperature as well as any other details beyond what i have already provided here i'd be happy to check it for them but truth is there is nothing wrong with my telly or console. the game simply cant deliver stable frame rate on this hardware. i bet the devs know it too they just wont admit it publicly. sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesnt. i cant reproduce it on demand on specific car/track/tod/weather combo either. you or someone else not experiencing these issues does not mean the console is broken. its not a freaking toaster, its not that simple and thats the reason its beyond you just like you said yourself bc you have no idea whats going on in software and what factors during gameplay result in framerate nosedive. you have some real suggestions to workaround framerate problems i'm all ears but telling me something wrong with my console is just daft, i'm sorry and i mean no offence but it just is.

2pfspiff
10-09-2015, 01:44
Ran Hockenheim long track with 35 cars, 10 lap race and the time progression set at 20x and time of day was 15:00. No speed up or slowdowns. I did not have track haze on, but everything else was normal. I do run the car nose view instead of the cock pit view.

nissan4ever
10-09-2015, 02:04
Ran Hockenheim long track with 35 cars, 10 lap race and the time progression set at 20x and time of day was 15:00. No speed up or slowdowns. I did not have track haze on, but everything else was normal. I do run the car nose view instead of the cock pit view.

However, your lap times with 35 AI cars are slower than what they would be with 23 AI cars.

Go back & rerun it the same way, but with 23 AI grid. Your lap times should be what they would be if you were running solo.

Let me know what your best lap times were. The 35 AI grid & the 23 AI grid.

2pfspiff
10-09-2015, 02:39
However, your lap times with 35 AI cars are slower than what they would be with 23 AI cars.

Go back & rerun it the same way, but with 23 AI grid. Your lap times should be what they would be if you were running solo.

Let me know what your best lap times were. The 35 AI grid & the 23 AI grid.

I'll give it a shot tomorrow when I wake up and report on it.

2pfspiff
10-09-2015, 02:42
@ nissan4ever

How it the TH8A shift on the wheel stand pro V2? Does the shifter sit high or is it comfortable. I have the Wheelstand pro V2 and love it.

nissan4ever
10-09-2015, 03:19
@ nissan4ever

How it the TH8A shift on the wheel stand pro V2? Does the shifter sit high or is it comfortable. I have the Wheelstand pro V2 and love it.

Cool, look forward to hearing your results

It's okay. I really don't use the shifter much. The position of it is okay with me. It's level with TX base. It's the Wheelstand Pro Deluxe V2.

Mrbrown33
13-10-2015, 23:35
The frame rate thing whats making the game speed up and slow down is really ruining my game play online. Is this ever going to get sorted?