PDA

View Full Version : A new on-board camera

toffee
08-09-2015, 15:01
Hi SMS!

I noticed that the on-board camera that shows what is happening behind, looks more like a mirror than monitor. I made a rough sketch of what you would understand what I mean.

Sorry for my English.

before:

after:

Video which shows the on-board camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro1yEkiEgbs

Vennt
08-09-2015, 22:29
Looks like a good idea, definitely looks better in your mock up.

My only worry would be that the render target (The rectangle the 'screen' is rendered onto) would need an additional shader pass to change the color saturation, and that would likely decrease overall graphics performance.

With that said, it's been a while since I did any graphics programming, maybe extra shader passes are not so expensive anymore on more modern hardware?

toffee
08-09-2015, 23:09
Looks like a good idea, definitely looks better in your mock up.

My only worry would be that the render target (The rectangle the 'screen' is rendered onto) would need an additional shader pass to change the color saturation, and that would likely decrease overall graphics performance.

With that said, it's been a while since I did any graphics programming, maybe extra shader passes are not so expensive anymore on more modern hardware?

I do not know how this affect performance. It would be nice that the game would have been taken into account all the details. I love project cars and want to make it better :)

Silraed
09-09-2015, 08:23
I was under the impression that that effect comes partially from the recording devices frame rate not quite matching what was being displayed rather than the clarity and quality of the display itself or something. So to your eye in real life it wouldn't look like it looks in that recorded on board shot.

Of course I may be entirely wrong and just believed somebody who was talking out of their ass at some point and it stuck in my mind ;)

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
09-09-2015, 10:13
Yeah, those monitors never look that bad to the naked eye, but they do look horrible when recorded.

toffee
09-09-2015, 10:29
But they don't look like a mirror.

flymar
09-09-2015, 11:03
Well. actually the mirrors look more like LCD-s.
And mirrors/monitors don't have shadow/reflection mask. (something the LCD motec displays have).
IIRC it coulfn't be done with the technology or too performance hungry.
i think the mock up is nice, but I's change some hue/saturation and add bloom/ or chroma shift. But... I'll drop it all if that would decrease the FPS;>

toffee
09-09-2015, 11:06
This is just an example, I think better SMS knows how to be better :)

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
09-09-2015, 12:37
But they don't look like a mirror.I'm not saying your idea is bad, just that it should be made to look like what the monitors look like to the naked eye, not as they appear on camera. =)

toffee
10-09-2015, 09:39
I'm not saying your idea is bad, just that it should be made to look like what the monitors look like to the naked eye, not as they appear on camera. =)

This is exactly, I did the sketch as an example. I think SMS knows how it looks really :)

Tomcul
10-09-2015, 09:56
Would be nice to be able see the back of the car on the monitor like the real one..

gp20
10-09-2015, 09:59
A free onboard camera would be better.

Cheesenium
10-09-2015, 10:49
This is exactly, I did the sketch as an example. I think SMS knows how it looks really :)

What you had drawn does not look like real life. It looked like a recorded video.

You dont get that oversaturated color when you look at a LCD screen in real life like how a LCD looked like in a recording.