PDA

View Full Version : Pit Strategy - Fuel Only

Schnizz58
08-09-2015, 16:03
A couple of months ago I was lamenting that there didn't seem to be a way of creating a pit strategy that would add a certain amount of fuel. (No tires, no repairs, just fuel.) The use case for this is a "splash & dash" strategy that adds something like 10 liters of fuel to finish a race.

I got a response that it was in fact possible to do this and he listed the sequence of steps required. Nevertheless, I was still unable to implement such a strategy. Maybe I didn't follow the directions correctly, but whatever the case if I select 10 liters, the pit crew will fill it to 10 liters rather than adding 10 liters.

So my questions are 1) is it possible to create such a pit strategy and 2) if so, how?

Pamellaaa
08-09-2015, 16:12
A couple of months ago I was lamenting that there didn't seem to be a way of creating a pit strategy that would add a certain amount of fuel. (No tires, no repairs, just fuel.) The use case for this is a "splash & dash" strategy that adds something like 10 liters of fuel to finish a race.

I got a response that it was in fact possible to do this and he listed the sequence of steps required. Nevertheless, I was still unable to implement such a strategy. Maybe I didn't follow the directions correctly, but whatever the case if I select 10 liters, the pit crew will fill it to 10 liters rather than adding 10 liters.

So my questions are 1) is it possible to create such a pit strategy and 2) if so, how?

It is possible to have a strategy that doesn't repair or change tyres and only does fuel, this is easy. What you can't do is say I want you to add 5 litres, you always need to set the level you want the team to fill the car to, if you don't know this you can do this in the pit lane reasonably quickly (although it does take a bit of practice) as there is only one slider to change.

NuclearPenguin
08-09-2015, 19:01
Title is kind of misleading to the topic. Anyway as said above, you can't choose the fuel by "add certain amount".

Schnizz58
08-09-2015, 19:13
Title is kind of misleading to the topic.
I'm happy to change it if you want to suggest something more descriptive.

Mahjik
08-09-2015, 21:22
IIRC, you can do the "fuel part" if you adjust it during the pitstop. I seem to remember that the pit strategy wouldn't let you drop it below a certain amount (and it was going to be changed if it already hasn't to remove that limitation). However, you could do this on the fly during the race by editing the strategy when you got to the pit lane.

Pamellaaa
08-09-2015, 21:24
IIRC, you can do the "fuel part" if you adjust it during the pitstop. I seem to remember that the pit strategy wouldn't let you drop it below a certain amount (and it was going to be changed if it already hasn't to remove that limitation). However, you could do this on the fly during the race by editing the strategy when you got to the pit lane.

This has now been fixed, since patch 3 you can set a level less than your standard setup in the pit stop strategy window.

Schnizz58
08-09-2015, 22:08

This has now been fixed, since patch 3 you can set a level less than your standard setup in the pit stop strategy window.

Right, you can now select an amount of fuel less than what's in the tuning setup but the game still interprets that as the final amount of fuel, not the amount to add to whatever is already there.

This post (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?35134-How-can-you-tell-what-tires-are-on-your-car&p=1050984&viewfull=1#post1050984) explains how to do it but I couldn't get it to work for me. It's entirely possible that I didn't hold my mouth just right when I was setting up the pit strategy though so if anybody else has tried this and gotten it to work, please let me know.

Pamellaaa
08-09-2015, 22:30
Right, you can now select an amount of fuel less than what's in the tuning setup but the game still interprets that as the final amount of fuel, not the amount to add to whatever is already there.

This post (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?35134-How-can-you-tell-what-tires-are-on-your-car&p=1050984&viewfull=1#post1050984) explains how to do it but I couldn't get it to work for me. It's entirely possible that I didn't hold my mouth just right when I was setting up the pit strategy though so if anybody else has tried this and gotten it to work, please let me know.

As far as I know if that ever worked then it was as a result of a bug.

Schnizz58
08-09-2015, 22:33
As far as I know if that ever worked then it was as a result of a bug.
That's pretty much what I was thinking. It might have worked at one time but they fixed the bug that allowed it and now it no longer works.

Pamellaaa
08-09-2015, 22:45
That's pretty much what I was thinking. It might have worked at one time but they fixed the bug that allowed it and now it no longer works.

Yup, personally if you want to achieve this I would suggest you do it by setting a strategy with nothing but fuel and set it at about 10 litres, from there it is easy enough to adjust on the fly for what you need, with the current system I think that is as good as it will get I am afraid.

Murt
08-09-2015, 23:02
It's entirely possible that I didn't hold my mouth just right when I was setting up the pit strategy though so if anybody else has tried this and gotten it to work, please let me know.

Make sure you have the right pit strategy selected. I think it usually defaults to the first one you set up. For me it is changing to wet tyres. If I don't change the pit strategy selection before the race then it will default to that one unless I change going into the pits

Schnizz58
08-09-2015, 23:03
Make sure you have the right pit strategy selected. I think it usually defaults to the first one you set up. For me it is changing to wet tyres. If I don't change the pit strategy selection before the race then it will default to that one unless I change going into the pits
I did make sure the splash and dash strategy was active before starting the race.

Murt
08-09-2015, 23:14
I assume you are flicking across to the damage tab and ensuring everything is selected to no (repairs). Could be an xbox issue. I haven't have any issues since 3.0

Schnizz58
08-09-2015, 23:18
I assume you are flicking across to the damage tab and ensuring everything is selected to no (repairs).
Yep. Am I correct in assuming that once you have the pit strategy set up, you can then go back and re-edit the tuning setup to use a full tank? Wouldn't be much use otherwise but that's the only thing I did differently (that I'm aware of).

Murt
08-09-2015, 23:38
Correct. I recently entered a 20 lap race that someone was practising for. I loaded up (edited existing set up) enough fuel to complete the race. Took off all repairs except engine and put a full tyre change on. My plan was to race 10 laps, change tyres and finish the race. It worked a treat. After I pitted I was about 40 seconds down on 2nd place and ran him down with about three laps to go. He didn't pit at all.

I knew the tyres wouldn't last the race and would have to change to maintain good lap times. And, even though I knew I would be a bit slower carry a full load to cover 20 laps, I would save time in the pits but not having to add fuel as well.

Schnizz58
08-09-2015, 23:40
Appreciate your help Murt. Good to know that it still works at least. I'll give it another go and if it doesn't work for me, I'll just assume it's yet another Xbox bug.

Murt
08-09-2015, 23:46
No probs. Good luck