PDA

View Full Version : The ESL eSport Discussion

SUBGTRACER
08-09-2015, 23:34
Just seems like there is nothing happening with upcoming plans and or information of late. ( not regarding dlc)

Please give us something to get the excitement back up again as its getting a little stagnant here on this forum .

Devs maybe on holidays as has been mentioned or they have banned them selves from the forum through frustration of reading a majority of the posts ?

Let's have some news to get a little excited about , get the hype train up and running again!

Enjoying the game for what it is at the moment just hoping the development and implementation of some of the finer points are in there sights .

have a good day keep safe.

Rob Prange
08-09-2015, 23:37
Well, we just had the very exciting news about Project CARS becoming a full-blown eSport :)

http://www.projectcarsgame.com/home/project-cars-becomes-an-official-esport-with-esl

Schnizz58
08-09-2015, 23:38
Well, we just had the very exciting news about Project CARS becoming a full-blown eSport
Can the Olympics be far behind?

Knightfall
08-09-2015, 23:44
People have been on, and are slowly trickling back from vacation I think.

321Respawn
08-09-2015, 23:54
To become an E-Sport all bugs and flaws need to be ironed out so this is good news then .

stangnutlx
09-09-2015, 01:55
hahahahaha lmao

what version of the game are they play 25.0?

we're on version 3 and the game is all jacked up

SUBGTRACER
09-09-2015, 02:54
I see your point how can it possibly be on esports in its current state , I don't really get the point of it .

AdM1
09-09-2015, 02:57
Does being in that esport thing even mean anything significant then?

I think OP was more asking for info on bug fixes and that.. I too wonder why it's gone all hush hush on here lately.

sailordude9980
09-09-2015, 03:21
Just quit my job to be the new Project Cars E Sport Drug Test Enforcer. Perks include a life size replica of Chewy.

Cheesenium
09-09-2015, 03:26
There is also a thread on DLC speculation and tease from SMS (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?38467-Upcoming-DLC-Tease-from-SMS-and-Speculation-from-Old-Announcement-%28Spoiler%29).

Project CARS Instagram had been quite busy for the past few weeks. Since the content is posted on Instagram, would it be possible to cross post them on facebook and twitter too? I dont think many people knows Project CARS has an Instagram.

I always thought Instagram is for people taking pictures of food or people, not exactly video games stuff.

Chevi
09-09-2015, 05:19
Does being in that esport thing even mean anything significant then?

I think OP was more asking for info on bug fixes and that.. I too wonder why it's gone all hush hush on here lately.

Like I do: All career gamer from the very start of project cars have the same problem with their save games: We are not able to complete career mode because of the bug considering the unlock functions of "win 2 team championships" and "win 4 team championships". Two invitationals are still locked. This big bug is known for months. But it seems that nobody really cares about... :(

Gravit8
09-09-2015, 05:36
To become an E-Sport all bugs and flaws need to be ironed out so this is good news then .

Would it be a bad assumption to assume they go console? So no hacks? Heard that's the usual trend anyway.

Konan
09-09-2015, 05:38
Well....let's stur things up...i read somewhere they're going to shut down this forum...

http://pcars2.wmdportal.com/showthread.php?22487-How-To-Join-Project-CARS-2&p=906826#post906826

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Moudy View Post
...I would gladly pay for the Gold Level if one of the perks was to be able to participate in the WMD Project Cars 1 forum. I can't take all the idiots in the open Project Cars forum. Please, make it happen!!!
Hi Carl, the Project Cars 1 forum will most likely be shut down soon, so this is not likely to happen - sorry.
Glad to have you on PCARS 2 !

Note that some of the idiots in the open Project Cars forum are on here too (....it's meeeee, i did eeeeet).

Bealdor
09-09-2015, 05:49
Well....let's stur things up...i read somewhere they're going to shut down this forum...

Read it again mate. He's saying that the PCARS1 development forum gets shut down (which happened already by now).

Konan
09-09-2015, 05:52
Read it again mate. He's saying that the PCARS1 development forum gets shut down (which happened already by now).

I apologise if i missread that...but it seemed to me they were talking about the Project cars 1 OPEN forum?

Konan
09-09-2015, 06:00

I have sent you a PM

Bealdor
09-09-2015, 06:00
I apologise if i missread that...but it seemed to me they were talking about the Project cars 1 OPEN forum?

No worries mate, mistakes happen.

FLX81
09-09-2015, 09:22
If you want pcars to really succeed in esports, three things need to be achieved:

1) Better stability: Crashes, wrong starting positions after qualifying, cars upside down or stacked upon another at the starting grid, wrong tires after pit stops etc all need to be 100% fixed before that.
2) Better collisions: Sticky cars need to go, finally. And the damage model needs to be bulletproof and have realistic repair times (no instant suspension repair etc).
3) More personalization: Custom liveries need to work online and on consoles. Personalization is a big part of esports.

Mr Akina
09-09-2015, 09:25
Well, we just had the very exciting news about Project CARS becoming a full-blown eSport :)

http://www.projectcarsgame.com/home/project-cars-becomes-an-official-esport-with-esl

How can it be a legitimate sport, when on some tracks you can't even see the start lights from the front row of the grid? They sure as hell can't include rolling starts in this 'sport' either?! Please focus on fixing the game, rather than this PR bs... I'm hoping this is why it's been quiet.

Sascha F.
09-09-2015, 09:58
If you want pcars to really succeed in esports, three things need to be achieved:

1) Better stability: Crashes, wrong starting positions after qualifying, cars upside down or stacked upon another at the starting grid, wrong tires after pit stops etc all need to be 100% fixed before that.
2) Better collisions: Sticky cars need to go, finally. And the damage model needs to be bulletproof and have realistic repair times (no instant suspension repair etc).
3) More personalization: Custom liveries need to work online and on consoles. Personalization is a big part of esports.

I have to agree with FLX here - honestly, the game still isn't in a state which allows for serious league racing, let alone esports with prizes or something. It's fine for some short fun races here and there, but there are still way too many bugs and/or missing features. How are you going to review incidents that will occur and need to be checked by race stewards / league leaders with the current replay function which even doesn't show drivers names, cars stuck on the starting grid the whole race, missing cars in replays, no lap times or the possibility to proper forward/rewind/jump to position in the replay, the missing drivers in the race overview if they leave too early and the list goes on and on.

There's really a lot of stuff that has to be fixed or at least improved, it gets really frustrating after hours of training for a race, doing multiple pit strategies with tires and their pressure, and all that is simply useless because the game isn't able to fit your car with anything other than soft slicks and letting you slide around for 20 laps in heavy rain...

The same goes for the SMS-R Time Trials, I rarely take part, only if I'm in the mood. I would more often, but lately spent a lot of time in the two events which were then canceled and will be re-run. I understand the technical details why that decision was made, but for me that was just dissapointing and somehow wasted time I could have spent better. And I'm quite sure that wasn't the last time something like this happens.

So, I really do not see a reliable environment for proper esport or league racing at the moment, and I'm not sure if it's the right way to announce "proper esport" before creating the stable basis. First things first.

But that's just my opinion.

R74NN
09-09-2015, 10:21
To add to FLX81's list.

I can't imagine using pCARS for serious e-sporting, when I can't save multiple setups for each track and load it afterwards when testing or training. Always overwriting one setup per track is just a sick idea. Also, the setups UI doesn't exactly add to the positive experience.

Akra
09-09-2015, 10:25
The eSport problem also bit DICE with the launch of Battlefield 4. Battlefield 3 was relatively successful and managed to be pretty bug free by the end of it. Battlefield 4 was meant to be an eSport platform and launched with many many game breaking bugs on all platforms and it killed it off. BF4 then became a running joke with all of its problems and DICE have ended up handing out free DLC because of it.

pCARs needs to be fixed before attempting eSports or the effect will be more negative than positive.

Sascha F.
09-09-2015, 10:52
To add to FLX81's list.

I can't imagine using pCARS for serious e-sporting, when I can't save multiple setups for each track and load it afterwards when testing or training. Always overwriting one setup per track is just a sick idea. Also, the setups UI doesn't exactly add to the positive experience.

That's another thing that is not well done. It's way too complicated to create, test and compare car-setups being limited to save only one setup per car and track. There is no way to have a dry-setup and a rain-setup, let alone different ones for qualifying and the race.

Same story for working on setups while TT-ing, you always have to do screenshots from current setup or have to use a notepad and pen to remember last fastest setup if you only want to try out some changes. Then revert back from screens or written ones, or remember them - which becomes more and more difficult with growing age. That's not really feasible.

It's not that all is bad, don't get me wrong, and I really like the idea of proper esport. There's a lot that has been fixed and improved, the new cut detection is miles ahead from the old one, and generally the game is improving - I just don't see it being ready for serious esports yet, that's all.

Raven403
09-09-2015, 13:18
There is also a thread on DLC speculation and tease from SMS (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?38467-Upcoming-DLC-Tease-from-SMS-and-Speculation-from-Old-Announcement-%28Spoiler%29).

Project CARS Instagram had been quite busy for the past few weeks. Since the content is posted on Instagram, would it be possible to cross post them on facebook and twitter too? I dont think many people knows Project CARS has an Instagram.

I always thought Instagram is for people taking pictures of food or people, not exactly video games stuff.

Yeah linking the news from Insta on Twitter would help. No interest in Instagram just to follow pcars, and deal with a million hipsters posting pics of crappy beer and Sriracha

Knightfall
09-09-2015, 14:00
Yeah linking the news from Insta on Twitter would help. No interest in Instagram just to follow pcars, and deal with a million hipsters posting pics of crappy beer and Sriracha

lol, +1

Cheesenium
09-09-2015, 14:14

Well, for my region is pretty much all food pictures and random pictures of people.

Not exactly a place that I find video games stuff.

MABlosfeld
09-09-2015, 14:34
After reading all the comments may be that participants can not change anything and the configuration is standard and equal for all.
I have tested: If you are not changing anything just install and play, pcars works good.
The more changes messier is

LogRoad
09-09-2015, 17:41
pCARS in E-Sports. Wow. I don't follow ES, but seems like that would be a major expansion of exposure to a big segment of gamers who would not otherwise give sim racing a glance.

Does it also mean we can expect to see a Jag E-Type in the retro car list? :p

Vennt
09-09-2015, 17:49
pCARS in E-Sports. Wow. I don't follow ES, but seems like that would be a major expansion of exposure to a big segment of gamers who would not otherwise give sim racing a glance.

Does it also mean we can expect to see a Jag E-Type in the retro car list? :p

If they add the E-Type, they have to replace the race engineer audio with radio calls from the stinking rich owner who's letting you drive the beast, who audibly has a mental breakdown if you wreck it and warns you to take more care before every corner. :P

LogRoad
09-09-2015, 18:04
If SimBin can do it in GTL I reckon it would be cake for SMS. Dunno about the license though.

I can recall seeing used E-Types on the market for $6,000 to $8,000 and thinking "Man, I could almost do that. But no, got to be practical, I'm a grownup now." Ah, well.

Getting a bit off track. I'll quit now.

marcdxn
09-09-2015, 18:54
I don't really get ESL anyway how do you enter and how do you get involved is it just for certain people who are already well known in league racing. If you are in the UK where do you go to do it.

And if its that new Esport arena that's opened in the UK where its at is this just a bit of hype because we just opened an Esport venue in the UK and this games not far from where it is lol.

To me ESL is for a select few this news is nice I guess but not news for the majority for something to take part in its just about watching it on twitch i suppose?

Pink_650S
09-09-2015, 19:01
I don't really get ESL anyway how do you enter and how do you get involved is it just for certain people who are already well known in league racing. If you are in the UK where do you go to do it.

And if its that new Esport arena that's opened in the UK where its at is this just a bit of hype because we just opened an Esport venue in the UK and this games not far from where it is lol.

To me ESL is for a select few this news is nice I guess but not news for the majority for something to take part in its just about watching it on twitch i suppose?

Especially because the game isnt 'ready' for e-sport and competitive racing in general.
The only thing the majority will gain from this, is that more people are going to experience the game breakers, so they will be fixed more likely. Hopefully.

LogRoad
09-09-2015, 19:14
More exposure > more buyers > more multiplayers > more revenue > more SMS/WMD/pCARS 1&2 devs working > more fixes/patches/DLC > more buyers > more revenue . . .

TrevorAustin
09-09-2015, 19:37
How on earth has this hit 4 pages and not become a car request page yet.

LogRoad
09-09-2015, 19:49
We're busy disproving the OP's title.

TheReaper GT
09-09-2015, 19:58

You had your chance. I want a Corvette C7.R :D

3800racingfool
09-09-2015, 19:59

Because it became a bugfix page instead.

The ESL announcement is very big news not only for those interested in professional gaming and e-sports but for the average joe racer too. It shows that SMS is indeed fully, 100%, hands-down, no bones about it, committed to this game which should drive away any lingering doubt about them abandoning the game and it's community. Not that there really should have been much, if any, doubt left after the work that's been released thus far.

Pink_650S
09-09-2015, 20:06
More exposure > more buyers > more multiplayers > more revenue > more SMS/WMD/pCARS 1&2 devs working > more fixes/patches/DLC > more buyers > more revenue . . .

Not sure if more people will buy it when seeing it in this state. :confused:
And the order of your list is wrong. Games should run more or less bug-free, no matter how many people buy it.
The list only shows how biased you are.

LogRoad
09-09-2015, 20:22
That list was only to make the point, not prove it. I suppose in reality the order of cause and effect changes rather drastically between individual transactions. I agree that games "should" run more or less bug-free, but one of the things I've learned following pCARS is that game devs live in a very complicated world and to stay in business compromises have to be made.

I'm not sure how bias enters the discussion other than I tend to focus on the pCARS positives rather than the negatives. Overall I think the positives vastly outweigh the negatives, which generally have been, are being, or will be addressed. SMS have built a great game - it was released with some problems - and it just keeps getting better. SMS have proved they are not going to grab the money and run. I had faith in SMS at the beginning of this project and I have seen nothing to change that.

Pink_650S
09-09-2015, 20:29
That list was only to make the point, not prove it. I suppose in reality the order of cause and effect changes rather drastically between individual transactions. I agree that games "should" run more or less bug-free, but one of the things I've learned following pCARS is that game devs live in a very complicated world and to stay in business compromises have to be made.

I'm not sure how bias enters the discussion other than I tend to focus on the pCARS positives rather than the negatives. Overall I think the positives vastly outweigh the negatives, which generally have been, are being, or will be addressed. SMS have built a great game - it was released with some problems - and it just keeps getting better. SMS have proved they are not going to grab the money and run. I had faith in SMS at the beginning of this project and I have seen nothing to change that.

I cant speak for you, since l dont know how much you play the game, but for me its very difficult to ignore the negatives, because they are so frequent and annoying.
To the point where l'm thinking to myself 'Why am l even playing this unpolished game?'

Deltawave371
09-09-2015, 20:44
I started a free roam practise last night. As I went around the corner a line of BLUE WALL BARRIERS was across the track blocking me from driving forward. Errrrr:mask:

Gravit8
09-09-2015, 20:48
After reading all the comments may be that participants can not change anything and the configuration is standard and equal for all.
I have tested: If you are not changing anything just install and play, pcars works good.
The more changes messier is

Yup this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sprint races with no changes. Your golden. That's how gran turismo does it. Spec cars. Usually nissans.
Wouldn't work any other way.

mister dog
09-09-2015, 21:46
Just quit my job to be the new Project Cars E Sport Drug Test Enforcer.
I better not subscribe then :)

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
09-09-2015, 22:46
I'm a grownup nowYou know what's cool about being a grownup? Since it's you who is the grownup, you can decide what being a grownup actually means. =)

marcdxn
10-09-2015, 16:31
So how does a general project cars player get into the whole ProjectCars Esport lark
when is it hosted, when are qualifiers to see who is good enough happen, is it something thats even open the general player.

I feel like its a bit heres some news and the next time you will hear about this is when its the final and heres a twitch link.

TheReaper GT
10-09-2015, 16:34
So how does a general project cars player get into the whole ProjectCars Esport lark
when is it hosted, when are qualifiers to see who is good enough happen, is it something thats even open the general player.

I feel like its a bit heres some news and the next time you will hear about this is when its the final and heres a twitch link.

I think it's regional. Here in my city we had regional cpl, esw, wcg and esl qualifying rounds in the past. I guess you must find the qualifying round closer to you.

marcdxn
10-09-2015, 17:48
I think it's regional. Here in my city we had regional cpl, esw, wcg and esl qualifying rounds in the past. I guess you must find the qualifying round closer to you.

Thanks hopefully more news will come and i hope its followed closely on the project CARS website so its easy to understand whats happening when and where without searching the web for information.

TheReaper GT
10-09-2015, 17:51
Thanks hopefully more news will come and i hope its followed closely on the project CARS website so its easy to understand whats happening when and where without searching the web for information.

Your best source of information should be each league website. So you can know were the qualify would happen. Not all qualify rounds host all games. The competition is pretty big and some regions embrace some genres better.

Elmo
10-09-2015, 17:59
How the ESL Cup works can be found here: http://www.projectcarsgame.com/home/esl-project-cars-kick-off-cup-schedule

Kruleworld
11-09-2015, 01:35
Just seems like there is nothing happening.
You'd cry if you were waiting on Bugbear on the Wreckfest forums, where months go by between updates and even dev posts. this place is a party by comparison.

Siberian Tiger
11-09-2015, 09:08
How the ESL Cup works can be found here: http://www.projectcarsgame.com/home/esl-project-cars-kick-off-cup-schedule

How does it work with the Rounds? Will all those Rounds be Held at 13. September? And what if there are more (or less) than 64 Players? Will it give Lucky Loosers that can continue?

Round 1 (1/64) Nurburgring GP
Round 2 (1/32) Laguna Seca
Round 3 (1/16) Willow Springs
Round 4 (1/8) Sakitto GP
Round 5 (1/4) SPA Francochamps
Round 6 (Final) Nurburgring Nordschleife

Who will Host? - Is this every time to decided via the Chat?
Do i Need to ask every Player for it's Steam Name? - To find and add him?
(What if i can't find him?)

Yorkie065
11-09-2015, 10:05
How does it work with the Rounds? Will all those Rounds be Held at 13. September? And what if there are more (or less) than 64 Players? Will it give Lucky Loosers that can continue?

Round 1 (1/64) Nurburgring GP
Round 2 (1/32) Laguna Seca
Round 3 (1/16) Willow Springs
Round 4 (1/8) Sakitto GP
Round 5 (1/4) SPA Francochamps
Round 6 (Final) Nurburgring Nordschleife

Who will Host? - Is this every time to decided via the Chat?
Do i Need to ask every Player for it's Steam Name? - To find and add him?
(What if i can't find him?)

Good questions. The only one I could answer would be that if all 64 slots get filled then that's it, you can't sign up to that round as I imagine it's on a first come first served basis but even that I don't think I could 100% confirm that. Hopefully someone can answer these. It seems that obviously where this is very early stages of this path for Project Cars, it's not quite as fully refined as it could be and rounds/tournaments will get refined as it goes forward.

FLX81
11-09-2015, 10:37
Is there a dedicated esports thread? If not, it might be good to open one up @ mods to adress these questions.

Since there is prize money and I have won about 90% of my online races that I entered in the last 3 days, I registered on PS4 for the second tournament on September 20th. Go team me! :D

Siberian Tiger
11-09-2015, 11:12
Ok, got an answer on the ESL Forum.

All Rounds will be played at the 13. September.
(As every other Cup on ESL with Multi Rounds without specific announcement that the Rounds will be on different Days)

But im eager to see how that does work with the Number of Players... We will know it at latest on Sunday :P

Siberian Tiger
11-09-2015, 11:14
Good questions. The only one I could answer would be that if all 64 slots get filled then that's it, you can't sign up to that round as I imagine it's on a first come first served basis but even that I don't think I could 100% confirm that. Hopefully someone can answer these. It seems that obviously where this is very early stages of this path for Project Cars, it's not quite as fully refined as it could be and rounds/tournaments will get refined as it goes forward.

You could be right, after 64 Check In's (not Sign Up's) it will be closed. But what if it doesn't has 64 Players? Or an uneven Number 63?

Lagoa
11-09-2015, 12:43
Is this esports thing only on PC? No ps4 and xbone?

TheReaper GT
11-09-2015, 13:21

Esl uses pc for finals. But local qualifying used consoles in the past, so it's possible. But you can organize your own championship in their molds using solely consoles.

Umer Ahmad
11-09-2015, 13:30
ESL is for all 3 platforms

https://twitter.com/projectcarsgame/status/642268213712187392

Umer Ahmad
11-09-2015, 13:35
Is there a dedicated esports thread? If not, it might be good to open one up @ mods to adress these :D
DONE, thread title changed and thread stickied. I will move out the non-ESL stuff later to another thread.

Let this be all things ESL related then

Yorkie065
11-09-2015, 13:42
DONE, thread title changed and thread stickied. I will move out the non-ESL stuff later to another thread.

Let this be all things ESL related then

Lol, I was going to make a thread for it later when I got home from work, but this idea works too. Wanted to create a discussion or list of things that could possibly be implemented to help improve the eSport side of the game and really help push the racing genre in eSports as it is severely lacking at the moment. Hopefully we can do something with PCars to really push it forward.

Jan Studenski
11-09-2015, 14:10

Agree except:

1) I did many MP Races - in Patch 3.0 never saw those: Stacked cars and wrong Starting Grid after Qualifying (though i did only few Quali-Race Sessions) - i also never had any game crashes ^^ but i cant speak for others
2) It has been proven, that sticky cars can happen in real life ... it needs to be tweaked down a bit, but as it is realistic, it should stay.
3) I would say this is very low priority - there are far more important things to implement ^^

I would add: For P2P - clearly more stability, especially for high grid counts

marcdxn
11-09-2015, 15:57
After more rule reading and investigating it looks like if a crash does occur or a bug the round can be re-hosted when reported to an ESL admin so to be honest a bug isn't the be all end all.
ALSO in the rules it notes participants are required to record the game and upload the footage ASAP after the race ends, also screen shot results. So i guess if you follow this and there is something not quite right you should at least have the proof to provide to an admin.

Elmo
11-09-2015, 16:06
Joe created a proper thread for the ESL stuff, please continue the discussion there: Project CARS is now an official ESL eSport (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?38968-Project-CARS-is-now-an-official-ESL-eSport!-First-event-this-weekend)