PDA

View Full Version : The fastest guys, where are they?

VonSchwerin
09-09-2015, 09:31
I get the impression that the fastest guys are not on the timetables, if so why?
Do they want to keep their laptimes a secret until its a race? No offend, just curious.

Pfalzdriver
09-09-2015, 10:51
Only time trial is at the leaderboard. If those fast guys dont do time trials, the wont show up. :)

Bealdor
09-09-2015, 11:00
I get the impression that the fastest guys are not on the timetables, if so why?
Do they want to keep their laptimes a secret until its a race? No offend, just curious.

I'm not running TT most of the time. I don't want to put you guys to inconvenience.

#justkidding #imslow #eelwithit

MarioCart
09-09-2015, 11:26

they waiting for paid tournaments.

OppaErich
09-09-2015, 12:39
Nürburgring Müllenbachkehre - Do something about it, please...

Edit: DTMs I mean

FACT0RY PIL0T
09-09-2015, 13:13
For what car, and class??

OppaErich
09-09-2015, 13:29
For what car, and class??
DTM Merc

http://cars-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard?track=4048000896&vehicle=3769906724

thelivingdead69
11-09-2015, 13:52
I'm pretty quick XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPeJDB3008s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBJEijYZo-M

ingyom007
15-09-2015, 13:07
Okay guys im might be dumb but where can i do my setup on an event?. The top25 on the leaderboard has custom setup and i am just wondering how they did that :D

Bealdor
15-09-2015, 13:10
Okay guys im might be dumb but where can i do my setup on an event?. The top25 on the leaderboard has custom setup and i am just wondering how they did that :D

You can create one for a particular car/track combo in every other game mode. This setup will then automatically be applied in TT/Community Events.

3. Gang
15-09-2015, 18:46
Hi, here my Ranking from the NORDSCHLEIFE with the BMW V12 LMR

PTG Baby Cow
17-09-2015, 23:35
I'm pretty quick XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPeJDB3008s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBJEijYZo-M

Challenge accepted.

Johnnypenso1
18-09-2015, 01:44
I have a good idea of how good I am relative to the best sim racers around and although the leaderboards aren't really crowded (GT leaderboards often had 100k+ entrants), the times set on the SMS-R leaderboards are very fast. The non-event leaderboards are hit and miss depending on the combination. If you're trying an Ariel Atom at Rapuana it's likely not a big crowd to compare to. Measure your speed against others in the big TT events and look at the names at the top. If you see them on a smaller leaderboard, you can be assured they are competitive times.

bigsilverhotdog
18-09-2015, 04:06
There's plenty of aliens out there on PC too. You'll know them when you see them. If you're good enough yourself to recognize alien when you see it, anyway.

Krus Control
27-09-2015, 16:41
Since the leaderboard wipe there are basically no fast times posted. The usual suspects (F1-Masa, jonnyw84, schumi170388, FinPro, TRL_Mixi125) are usually posting times in the community events. These guys are all super duper fast but there are people everywhere that are just as fast and faster. I've been posting some Azure Coast times that are pretty solid (300SEL, A1, E30 group A, Sauber C9). There are some good times at Nordschliefe also. Look at the overall best in the leaderboard and there are a few really good times. The current record at Le Mans in the Sauber C9 if pretty fast as well. Also in online lobbies I've run into some great racers. Still this is always the problem for me; finding fast people and times to beat.

Edit: this is all talking about PC gameplay

SchnelleBasis
28-09-2015, 06:52
Check out some Formula B (Spa,Donington,Silverstone), Formula Gulf 1000 (many tracks).
Day only has 24 hours and posting decent times takes time. Not like one can just puke out a very fast setup and lap (and thats the reason you dont see many)
I am still banging my head against the wall in the C-Coupe DTM Merc @ Nordschleife.
Still my time at Stage 1 is 0.5 too slow for what the car can do (in my hands that is). It just all take a lot of time :-D

iKasbian
28-09-2015, 07:47
I am still banging my head against the wall in the C-Coupe DTM Merc @ Nordschleife.
Still my time at Stage 1 is 0.5 too slow for what the car can do (in my hands that is). It just all take a lot of time :-D

Great car and track combo, was doing the stages myself yesterday and couldn't understand why other racers ghosts were pulling away from me on the straights...didn't know about the DRS :rolleyes:

EvoM3
28-09-2015, 09:36
I had about 30 World Records but they got wiped, just about every record for Bathurst... no incentive to get back on there really..

bigsilverhotdog
28-09-2015, 13:41

Weekly forecast is clear, with a 100% chance of tears.

iKasbian
29-09-2015, 13:10
You guys are fortunate to be in the position to ATTEMPT alien times, I share a house with 3 women and am begrudged 5 mins to even put Pcars on...

PTG Baby Cow
29-09-2015, 19:52
Yea, dont worry its a constant battle for me to. part of the reason pcars doesnt get more play than it does and then when i do get a short time to play i cant be bothered setting up the wheel so i end up playing forza or something else.

Mulder71
12-11-2015, 10:49
don't know if i am one of the fastest guys but at this moment i am the fastest in a formula gulf @ dubai international.

I'm sort of a casual gamer but have been simracing since the first PC edition of F1GP and have been racing in an online (F1)GP3 league back in the day (more than 10 years ago).
Now i drive maybe 3-4 hours per week, im doing a career, started at karts and do some time trials in the cars and tracks i'm in at in my career. Gulf is the first hotlaps where i changed the setup, the others i just drove standard setups and got top 10 times mostly in shifter karts and formula rookie. I do not like doing setups, never have, but you can't beat the setup wizards if you don't change your setup...just google them and see what works for you.

chig88
12-11-2015, 11:14
I suck. I think the fastest time I have on the PS4 leaderboards is 27th in the Formula A @ Monza. Somehow the fastest guys are still 2.5s quicker. Have literally zero idea how that's possible - it's insane.

Having said that I rarely do time trials & on the whole the PS4 leaderboards seem a bit deserted.

Krus Control
12-11-2015, 15:02
I keep hearing about fast people on the PS4. I'd love to check those leaderboards if there was a way.

PTG Baby Cow
12-11-2015, 17:44
Krus, id imagine its pretty much on par with xbox and pc. There are fast guys on all of them, but i think the best on each platform are about the same skill wise.

Ripgroove
22-01-2016, 15:12
Well since everyone else is showing off, I'm currently #1 here:

All assists off apart from auto clutch
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm320/PeteCup/Capture_zpssx3evrfo.png (http://s299.photobucket.com/user/PeteCup/media/Capture_zpssx3evrfo.png.html)

I've never driven the car before today and it only took 20 laps but I'm not really sure it counts as there are only 23 times on the board so something doesn't seem right?! I just posted a similar thread actually (http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/showthread.php?44283-Why-isn-t-Time-Trial-more-popular).

EvoM3
23-01-2016, 00:36

I've got a few records.. had way more before the leaderboard wipe, just cant be bothered to get them all back.

Mulder71
23-01-2016, 15:21
I keep hearing about fast people on the PS4. I'd love to check those leaderboards if there was a way.

That's becuase the physics on PS4 are different, same driver is faster on PS4 than on PC..check some youtube from ps4 & compare to your own lap on that track/car combo, you'll see.

Mulder71
23-01-2016, 15:23
I suck. I think the fastest time I have on the PS4 leaderboards is 27th in the Formula A @ Monza. Somehow the fastest guys are still 2.5s quicker. Have literally zero idea how that's possible - it's insane.

Having said that I rarely do time trials & on the whole the PS4 leaderboards seem a bit deserted.

Do you use custome setup? all the fastest guys do a good setup should get you top 10-15

Krus Control
23-01-2016, 16:32
That's becuase the physics on PS4 are different, same driver is faster on PS4 than on PC..check some youtube from ps4 & compare to your own lap on that track/car combo, you'll see.

The devs have already addressed this multiple times that physics are the same on all platforms. There could be a difference if there is an issue with the PC being tested but physics is definitely the same. Post a link to a video showing this. I can't find any.

Ripgroove
23-01-2016, 17:44
Do you use custome setup? all the fastest guys do a good setup should get you top 10-15

I've posted #1 times in the past with a completely standard setup. I don't have time for tuning anymore so my TT times are now set with cars with fuel load reduced, and rad and brake ducts closed, that's it. No gear ratio tuning, no tyre tuning, nothing.

This again shows the importance of having a setups filter on the leaderboard, I'd much rather post times on a board of totally standard cars, completely level playing field where is all down to the driver. I simply don't have time to test, tune, test, tune, test, tune etc etc and THEN do the actual TT.

Shadowoff
24-01-2016, 12:29
The faster guys wait, til the've got a perfect setup and perfect pace. I did the same: Training and testing in free practice til Ive got a perfect laptime (in my case BMW Z4 at Spa a 2.14.9). Then I started TT (in TT youre a little slower then in free practise if Im right) and drove a 2.15.4. Now Im 3rd of the world :) Good drivers want only one perfect, clean and fast laptime, which gives you a podium on leaderboard :)

Mulder71
12-02-2016, 11:13
I've posted #1 times in the past with a completely standard setup. I don't have time for tuning anymore so my TT times are now set with cars with fuel load reduced, and rad and brake ducts closed, that's it. No gear ratio tuning, no tyre tuning, nothing.

This again shows the importance of having a setups filter on the leaderboard, I'd much rather post times on a board of totally standard cars, completely level playing field where is all down to the driver. I simply don't have time to test, tune, test, tune, test, tune etc etc and THEN do the actual TT.

I agree totally..in formula A it's 80% down to setup. and that sucks bigtime.. it's a driving game, not an engineering game

Shadowoff
12-02-2016, 12:55
I agree totally..in formula A it's 80% down to setup. and that sucks bigtime.. it's a driving game, not an engineering game

Have a look at the other side, in real life they also dont think "lets drive at Le Mans without reducing the downforce". In reality its also about the setup (especially for F1/FA). Also for GT cars, 'cuz they are most time understeering like hell.

Ripgroove
12-02-2016, 13:17
No but this is a game, not a real life full time career. Not many people have the time to tune all the time and really those people should have a default setups leaderboard so they can still enjoy the driving and competing aspect of the game. I bet TT would be more popular then too as all the drivers would come out of the woodwork to compete as they wouldn't have the whole tuning aspect to deal with first. PCars is not the be all and end all to most people, we have other games, real life hobbies and full time jobs to deal with too. We should still have the option to drive and compete at a high level.

Krus Control
12-02-2016, 16:13
In a perfect world this would be great. But the fact is that this is what F1 is really like. Just look at Rosberg, who is regarded as a setup genius. He outpaced Hamilton in the last few races last year and says it was setup. It would be great if defaults in PCARS would yield competitive times but I'm thinking that SMS has more important things to work on.

Ripgroove
12-02-2016, 16:15
All that would be needed would a default setup filter for the leaderboards, one button, that's all. And that would enable the pure driving skill rivalries for those that want it and also a place for tuners to compete. Such a simple leaderboard mod would make such a difference.

Krus Control
12-02-2016, 16:20
I would argue that racing F1 on the default setups is pointless as these cars are never run with setups that fall so short of the standard. If the defaults were better then I would agree. But at the moment seeing who's fastest on default is like seeing who's fastest when the tires are flat. Still a competition of sorts, but not representative of real life which is PCARS' big thing.

Ripgroove
12-02-2016, 16:47
Well in that case default setups need to be better out of the box and not rely so heavily on tweaking, tweaking setups should only really be needed for those competing for absolute top times.

Innerspace_HQ
12-02-2016, 22:29
tweaking setups should only really be needed for those competing for absolute top times.

The aim of Project Cars is to be as close to reality as far as is reasonably practicable. You're talking in mario kart terms there, Rip. Everybody has a different driving style, prefer their car a different way, why would you seek to limit this? Learning can be fun, too... Just because you don't have the time or can't muster the effort to do so doesn't automatically make a bad thing.

Ripgroove
13-02-2016, 07:32
All I'm saying is that by making TT more reliant on tuning than actual driver skill the devs are alienating a lot of people, which ultimately leads to less people bothering to have a go which is more than likely why the leaderboards are not as popular as they should be. Personally I don't really care as its up to the devs to do what they want and I can be pretty competitive with almost no tuning tweaks if I really put my mind to it. I just think they are missing a huge opertunity by not catering for those that want a pure quick and easy no nonsense leaderboard based on driver skill alone. I am almost certain a TT mode like that would be very popular, and ultimately increasing popularity and player base really should be one of the devs biggest priorities in order to keep the franchise alive. Catering solely for people who want to spend hours and hours tuning in the name of 'reality' is a pretty narrow minded strategy IMO. At the end of the day this is a game and not real life. As said though, it's not going to change so it matters not.

Mulder71
13-02-2016, 08:37
Have a look at the other side, in real life they also dont think "lets drive at Le Mans without reducing the downforce". In reality its also about the setup (especially for F1/FA). Also for GT cars, 'cuz they are most time understeering like hell.
In real life their engineer sets the car up based on simulations and experience they drive around and they tell their engineer what the problem is and he figures it out. They don't get their tools out and spend all night working on their car..they drive and give feedback, that's it.

Rigt now i'm searching for a setup on YouTube, copying that (boring and time consuming) and than i fine tune while time trialing.. doing these setups is boring, time consuming, takes away my interest and if i don't do top 10 within half an hour i can't be bothered to keep going because i know it is the setup restricting me.

Only when i see by looking at the ghost cars that i have the setup to do it than i stick to time trialing longer than an hour, else i just settle for 5th or 6th, or 30st if i can't find a good setup on YouTube. The setup is too important in Formula A and that sucks for people who don't care about doing the setup.

Ripgroove
13-02-2016, 09:05
If the aim of PCars was 'to be areal as possible' then we'd be sat in briefings, walking to the car, starting the engine etc etc etc, and the list goes on to a million other details. A 'sim' GAME needs to be a good compromise between real life and only really needs to incorporate the best parts while cutting out the mundane parts. Tuning for hours on end just to prove you are a good driver is mundane IMO. Plus if you want to play the 'real life' card how many top level drivers do you think spend hours under their cars with wrenches? Not many I bet, their main job is to drive and provide feedback so the engineers can tweak the car, again it's a shame this game was promoted as a great driver journey etc then forces you to be an engineer instead in order to compete on the LB's. As said a simple filter in the LB's would solve this.

Mulder71
13-02-2016, 09:33
And they had that in game message "talk to your engineer" i was so hoping they would put one in to do my setups based on "gearing is off, 4th shoudl be longer" "i'm not getting enough grip on corner exit" etc. etc.

It's crazy that even tyre pressure needs to be tweaked..that's ridiculous..can cost you half a second if you don't set it up correct..wtf

Ripgroove
13-02-2016, 09:45
That would be very cool, a testing mode where you could give feedback on things like 'too much corner entry oversteer' etc and have the engineers tweak the car to your liking.

Innerspace_HQ
13-02-2016, 22:13
If the aim of PCars was 'to be areal as possible' then we'd be sat in briefings, walking to the car, starting the engine etc etc etc, and the list goes on to a million other details. A 'sim' GAME needs to be a good compromise between real life and only really needs to incorporate the best parts while cutting out the mundane parts. Tuning for hours on end just to prove you are a good driver is mundane IMO. Plus if you want to play the 'real life' card how many top level drivers do you think spend hours under their cars with wrenches? Not many I bet, their main job is to drive and provide feedback so the engineers can tweak the car, again it's a shame this game was promoted as a great driver journey etc then forces you to be an engineer instead in order to compete on the LB's. As said a simple filter in the LB's would solve this.

Did you read "so far as is reasonably practicable"? Maybe you didn't understand it? It's 6 words that negates everything you just said. It's about balance. You aren't going to go sit in briefings and walk to the car etc purely to play a game, you're being facetious. What's mundane to you is fascinating to me. I've learned so much more about car tuning since I got this game, you should try it. Go read some stuff and enrich your knowledge of engineering. Or not, your call.

I really don't know why it winds you up so much. You clearly want the option to have tuning, you just said you'd want an engineer to do it providing you could talk to him. What I take from this is you can't be bothered to do it manually so nobody should have the option. Laziness I can get behind (fully!) but selfishness I can't. I think you'll find most race car drivers know a damn sight more about the engineering inside their machine and how it translates to the job they do than you or I and I've actually made the effort to learn. So your point is moot.

I really don't see how having tuning in a race sim is alienating people. That's a crazy arguement to put weight to. I'm quite certain the vast majority of informed people knew that it would involve deep tuning. It's not Forza, it's not marketed at the same audience as Forza.

These are all just my opinions of course, just like a***holes - we've all got one.

Ripgroove
13-02-2016, 22:40
I know exactly how to tune a car, I was VERY good on the old Forza leaderboards by tuning my own cars and I've many #1 times on PCars also. But I have a life outside of Pcars (Full time job, Wife, various motorbikes, mountain bikes etc etc etc, the list goes on) so I just don't get the time to tune properly any more, it's just a shame that clearly talented drivers like myself who are very good at driving 'could' possibly end up a lot further down the leaderboards than they should be just because they don't have hours to spend tuning. I really don't get why you are so against just having a default setups filter on the LB's, how would it harm you or affect the way you play? It won't, end of. Like I said previously, personally I actually still do OK on the LB's without tuning the hell out of my cars, I was merely stating that the LB's would probably be more populated IF people could compete for the fastest times without having to spend hours tuning. The thread title asked where all the fastest players are, and all I did was put forward one possibility which is to my mind I bet a lot of them do not compete in TT due to the hours of tuning needed to compete. Not once did I complain about how I get on in the game, nor say I want something changed. And just for the record, I'm an Aerospace engineer who's had plenty of fast cars which I've spent a lot of time actually wrenching on myself "putting in the effort" as you say, so I DO know a fair bit about how a car is put together.

This thread has been flogged to death now, it's getting childish and it looks like its focus has now shifted more towards slating people for having an opinion on the actual topic, so I'm just going to go ahead and unsubscribe from it now as all the needed to be said has been. Peace out Bro :D

Just to add though, your statement "Go read some stuff and enrich your knowledge of engineering" did make me lol as I've been getting paid for engineering for the past 19 years, 6 of which were spent at college actually studying 'engineering', I've done my 'learning' so don't need a game to teach me anything ;)

Krus Control
13-02-2016, 22:42
Did you read "so far as is reasonably practicable"? Maybe you didn't understand it? It's 6 words that negates everything you just said. It's about balance. You aren't going to go sit in briefings and walk to the car etc purely to play a game, you're being facetious. What's mundane to you is fascinating to me. I've learned so much more about car tuning since I got this game, you should try it. Go read some stuff and enrich your knowledge of engineering. Or not, your call.

I really don't know why it winds you up so much. You clearly want the option to have tuning, you just said you'd want an engineer to do it providing you could talk to him. What I take from this is you can't be bothered to do it manually so nobody should have the option. Laziness I can get behind (fully!) but selfishness I can't. I think you'll find most race car drivers know a damn sight more about the engineering inside their machine and how it translates to the job they do than you or I and I've actually made the effort to learn. So your point is moot.

I really don't see how having tuning in a race sim is alienating people. That's a crazy arguement to put weight to. I'm quite certain the vast majority of informed people knew that it would involve deep tuning. It's not Forza, it's not marketed at the same audience as Forza.

These are all just my opinions of course, just like a***holes - we've all got one.

Maybe a bit harsh, but mostly on the money. Racing is as much about tuning cars as it is about driving cars. This will be reflected in a good racing simulator. To make a system where this is not the case somehow in a serious simulation makes no sense. I think defaults should be more competitive, but proposing to level the playing field because some players don't care for tuning is selfish and unrealistic.

Ripgroove
13-02-2016, 22:46
Maybe a bit harsh, but mostly on the money. Racing is as much about tuning cars as it is about driving cars. This will be reflected in a good racing simulator. To make a system where this is not the case somehow in a serious simulation makes no sense. I think defaults should be more competitive, but proposing to level the playing field because some players don't care for tuning is selfish and unrealistic.

All I was doing was adding an opinion as to why the LB's may not be as popular as they could be (as per the thread title), adding a simple default setup filter to the LB is not selfish at all, it would in no way affect anyone who enjoys tuning and competing, all it would mean is that people who don't have time to tune could hit a button and see who quick they are compared to other drivers in the same car (i didn't say they would be competing for the overall top times of tuners), I didn't state that level playing field was needed to level out EVERYONE on the LB's at all. As said, I do OK on the LB's, I was speaking in terms of why others might not be so drawn to it.

Krus Control
13-02-2016, 22:49
All I was doing was adding an opinion as to why the LB's may not be as popular as they could be, adding a simple default setup filter to the LB is not selfish at all. As said, I do OK on the LB's, I was speaking in terms of why others might not be so drawn to it.

I didn't mean to offend. I will add that you can see on this leaderboard who uses default:

http://cars-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard

You don't need a button to separate defaults, you can just look here and see where they fall.

Ripgroove
13-02-2016, 22:53
I didn't mean to offend. I will add that you can see on this leaderboard who uses default:

http://cars-stats-steam.wmdportal.com/index.php/leaderboard

You don't need a button to separate defaults, you can just look here and see where they fall.

Yes I am aware of that but maybe newer players who do not frequent the forums are not, I'm purely talking from a business point of view regarding keeping people interested in the game and having fun.

No offence taken at all BTW ;) It's the internet, who cares?! lol

I'm officially out of this thread now :)

theoriginalR6kid
13-02-2016, 23:05

Besides,imagine if they gave us a default setup option for tt and not having an excuse for being slow?!

Innerspace_HQ
13-02-2016, 23:06
I also didn't mean to offend. I just find your arguement has no ground and gave my reasons why. Claiming you know what to do but don't have the time has no bearing on this whatsoever. That's your own personal issue and not fault with the game. You are being incredibly defensive. Does saying this is getting childish and attempting to close down dialogue make it true? I don't think it's childish at all, it's adult dialogue - I accepted it was your opinion and offered my own counter points. I never said I was against a leaderboard filter but you said you were against tuning. Are we on the same page? No need to be defensive, if I've upset you please accept my genuine apology but you do have to be open to debate on something if you're offering it on a forum, you can't just say this is how it is and expect everybody to agree.

Innerspace_HQ
13-02-2016, 23:08
No offence taken at all BTW ;) It's the internet, who cares?! lol

I'm officially out of this thread now :)

Good, I'm glad. So no need to run away! :)

Innerspace_HQ
13-02-2016, 23:10
Besides,imagine if they gave us a default setup option for tt and not having an excuse for being slow?!

I don't think that's Rip's issue, I believe him when he says he's quick. I just don't agree that tuning alienates users of a driving sim. :)

Mulder71
15-02-2016, 10:27
Not of a sim but of the leaderboards. To top the boards you have to tune and the tuning in pcars takes hours and hours, due to the awful interface for tuning and also due to lack of telemetry.
Why bother with an extensive setup system if you can't generate the telemetry (and if you can't do that i'm doubting the physics model instantly)..now it is all trial and error, educated guess.
Than once you have a setup you can not save it to file and share.
It's even hard to see if you have a standard setup or an altered one..terrible to share through youtube video's and switch back and forth from youtube to pcars to copy a setup.. If only this was better than it would be something i can live with. but now it is awful.
So yes..the leaderboard would be more popular if there was a standard setup only board a "drivers board" rather than "engineer board"

And for the insinuators, i am not that quick, but i have a few 1st places and a lot of top 10 times so i'm not complaining for that reason.

Itothans
21-02-2016, 08:42
It seems like every car is designed to be a 10 hour long puzzle. I know tunes depend of different driving styles etc but a good tune is a good tune and it will work for everyone better than the default one does.

The latest sms-r event with the BMW 2002 makes me wanna uninstall the game. That piece of shit is simply undrivable.