PDA

View Full Version : Wheel upgrade question.

cry4dawn
10-09-2015, 02:58
I currently have a G25 wheel and an IgnitionControls button box and I want to upgrade my setup. Most of all, I don't like that the G25 only has 2 buttons on the wheel, so I have been checking into other options.

Currently my choices are:

Ditch the G25 and go with a T500RS. I don't use the H shifter, just the buttons on it so losing the shifter is not an issue if I get the buttons on the wheel. The question here is if the FFB and overall difference is worth the cost of the wheel.

or,

Get a wheel plate for the G25 and install more buttons, rotary encoders and switches and an SLI-Pro to add features to my current wheel.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the G25 except for the dead zone in the middle of the wheel, which I have pretty much eliminated in pCARS using the setup guides here in the forum. Using the setup guides and tweak files the FFB is pretty darned good! I went back to an older game that I played before pCARS and the FFB was extremely weak.

Any input would be appreciated!

yusupov
10-09-2015, 03:55
why t500RS? do you need something to be compatible w/ both xbox and ps4?

if not, i just upgraded to a TX 458, its $300 with shipping & supposed to be as good a wheel (motor) or better than the t500 -- the actual rim has a pretty bad rep, but you can now order the base for about $270 + $100 for a good rim (the ferrari GTE one). i plan on just keeping my g27 shifter for now since my impression is it still maps as long as its plugged into the USB. not sure if the g25 shifter is the same but thats kinda like its own mini button box. for the pedals i think youll need to buy an adapter, but its maybe $50.

i have to say i was quite satisfied w/ my wheel also so im not even 100% ill stay with the TX, but im curious to give it a try. cant give you advice on the alternative as that's over my head but if you go with a new wheel thats my advice.

VR-42
10-09-2015, 06:35
With all the problems the members in our group have been having I would not buy thrustmaster. one guy an the moment has been without a wheel for 3 weeks and they tell him that the wheel is out of stock and dont know when it will be replaced.

Jussi Viljami Karjalainen
10-09-2015, 08:49
I can wholeheartedly recommend the T500 RS. It is a great wheel, and a massive improvement in driving feel/enjoyment for me compared to the G25. Frankly, it makes the G25 feel like a toy by comparison. A very accurate, sharp and quick responding toy, but a toy nonetheless. The main thing against it really when compared to the newer ones is that the fan can be really loud. The rim is better than either the TX 458 or the T300 RS (30 cm diameter is so much nicer than 28 cm diameter, 2 cm might not sound like much but trust me, it makes a big difference), the base, though bigger, is IMO better shaped as well (the gap between the top of the base and the top of the wheel rim is larger, you can set up the wheel so that you see the gauges on-screen through it, with the T300 they get obscured by the bump in the wheelbase), you get the metal 3-pedal set right away, and the FFB is a bit stronger overall, though the T300 RS is a bit smoother.

That is not to say that the TX 458 or T300 RS aren't great, but the rim and the pedals let the package down just a little bit. Out of the two I'd go with the T300 RS if you don't need XBOX compatibility, the rim on it is so much nicer than the TX 458 rim.

As for reliability, every company can have broken units, it's what we get when we want cheap mass produced products. My first two G25s broke down within a couple of weeks after I got them, the third one lasted until I got my T500 (which I bought second hand btw, still going strong!). During the development we talked a lot about different wheels in the WMD forums, and I saw people having so much more problems with Fanatec products than with Thrustmaster products. Put it this way, a few people I know with Thrustmaster wheels/pedals/shifters have mentioned issues. Almost all of the ones with Fanatec gear, especially newer Fanatec gear, has had to get something replaced/fixed. And when anyone did have problems with the Thrustmasters they always went on about how well Thrustmaster handled the situation. My only problem was a noisy fan, and they sent me a fan replacement kit with just the postages, even though mine was a second hand wheel. Nothing but good things to say about Thrustmaster and their support.

Modding the G25 is always an option as well, it is a very capable and accurate wheel, even though the FFB is so much nicer on my T500 that I could never dream of going back, it just makes the games too much fun. However if you're still used to the G25 and don't specifically want better FFB, then there are a ton of options to increase the number of buttons on the wheel. =)

wesker6664
10-09-2015, 09:12
Like Jussi says, the T500 is a great wheel. I prefer the FFB of the TX, those brushless motors are really good, but mine broke 3 times in a row so i went for a T500 which i modified with a silent fan and i'm happy now. It has to be said though that the internal components (especially the plastics) of those Thrustmaster wheels are really low quality, very far from Logitech IMO.

Mr.Smoke
10-09-2015, 11:07
If you like your current Logitech & are considering an upgrade, why not get the G29?

10-09-2015, 12:50
If you like your current Logitech & are considering an upgrade, why not get the G29?Because it's actually a downgrade, that costs the same as a T300RS.

Mahjik
10-09-2015, 14:04
cry4dawn, I'm in a similar situation. I have a perfectly fine working G25, but miss having more buttons on the wheel. I have modded my G25 pedals, but to be honest, they are still lacking. My plan for an upgrade is the following:

Wheel: Thrustmaster TX Servo Base (probably grab a GT and the F1 wheel):

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/%D0%9F%D1%80%D0%B5%D1%81%D1%81%D0%B0/thrustmaster-tx-servo-base-racing-wheel-core-next-gen-force-feedback-racing-ecosystem-xbox-on

Why? Well, I don't want the Thrustmaster pedals. I planning on something more robust. I'm currently on the waiting list for the ProSimTech pedals:

https://protosimtech.com/en/PT-1-Sim-Racing-Pedals

If those take too long, I'll likely fall back to the V3 Fanatec Clubsport pedals:

http://www.fanatec.com/us-en/pedals/clubsport-pedals-v3-usa.html

Now, there have been quality issues around some of the recent Thrustmaster products. However, since I don't plan to get rid of my G25, I'll always have that as a backup should a fall into the same category as some of the people who had Thrustmaster issues.

Vennt
10-09-2015, 14:43
Can't wait to upgrade my T80.

Thinking I'll go for the new T150 wheel and a set of T3PA-Pro pedals , later upgrading those to ricmotech's loadcell mod.

Franco Ferrari
10-09-2015, 15:06
I upgraded from a G25 to a T500 RS.
I regret nothing,

Whisky
10-09-2015, 15:10
mid next month thrustmaster is releasing the t300 with the t3pa pedals and the 30 cm ferrari fx 599 alcantara Wheel as a package, so they finally killed the downside with the crappy pedals.
i informed myself about the package since i want to buy it and the ffb of the t300 seems to be slightly better than the ffb of the t500rs (can't confirm that myself)
maybe you wan't consider that aswell, i'll upgrade to that next month from my g27. t300 with nice pedals and an awesome big Wheel sounds great, atleast for me :)

Fight-Test
10-09-2015, 15:38
whiskey thats great news. Even though I have a t300rs with T3PA pros and a load cell I still tell guys on budget to get the G29 because the T300, T100, T80 pedals are the same and are garbage even if modded. Being packaged with the better pedals is a fantastic deal. I also didnt like the stock rim with the T300 for my size it was too small. Felt like im holding a kids wheel(only in size) but its a nice quality wheel. I switched to the F1 rim. Took me a while to figure out all the t300 tendencies but I have had only two issues and called thrustmaster and they had me fixed before I was off the phone. I think guys who dont call them have more issue than the ones who do. I looked but didnt see a price, do you know what they will be asking for it?

Whisky
10-09-2015, 15:40
the Price in Germany will be 469 €. usually a bit cheaper in other countries.
i'm really looking Forward for it's release next month

k.merse
10-09-2015, 15:46
T300 RS + T3PA is the perfect combo :)

Vennt
10-09-2015, 15:51
Ok, so here's a divisive, but related question:

Average wheel & very good pedals (Say, T150, which looks to be close to a T100 with 1080 DoR, with T3PA-Pro's)

Or

Good Wheel & good pedals (T300RS with T3PA, non-Pro's)

???

Fight-Test
10-09-2015, 16:33

Average wheel & very good pedals (Say, T150, which looks to be close to a T100 with 1080 DoR, with T3PA-Pro's)

Or

???

I think it comes down to budget. I would prefer to buy once and spend a little more than go cheaper only to want to upgrade later which will cost more in long run.

havocc
10-09-2015, 16:48
mid next month thrustmaster is releasing the t300 with the t3pa pedals and the 30 cm ferrari fx 599 alcantara Wheel as a package, so they finally killed the downside with the crappy pedals.
i informed myself about the package since i want to buy it and the ffb of the t300 seems to be slightly better than the ffb of the t500rs (can't confirm that myself)
maybe you wan't consider that aswell, i'll upgrade to that next month from my g27. t300 with nice pedals and an awesome big Wheel sounds great, atleast for me :)

That's good news since i was planning on getting the t300 but i read that bundle pedals are crap (no clutch pedal too) so i can wait for this new release

Spitfire77
10-09-2015, 16:56
The T300 with the 30cm Alcantara rim and T3PA pedals is to be sold in the US for $469.99. Which is a good deal considering the T300rs with stock 2 pedals is $400.. so you get the $100 pedals and a larger nicer rim (if you like Alcantara) for only $70 more. Pick up the TH8A shifter (which is awesome IMO) for a complete setup for only $620. Just make sure you do not void the warranty on the T300 wheel base.

Here is the press release...
http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/%D0%9F%D1%80%D0%B5%D1%81%D1%81%D0%B0/t300-ferrari-integral-racing-wheel-alcantara-edition-thrustmaster-takes-pole-position-its-118

cry4dawn
10-09-2015, 17:38
The T300 bundle looks like a good deal! I am putting it high on my list of choices!

I added up the costs to put together a wheel plate with an SLI-Pro, dual rotary encoder, rotary switch, hat switch and 5 buttons to be about $325. then I would have to put it all together.

So cost wise they are pretty much in the same ballpark.

This is why I asked this question here. Lots of good feedback! Thanks!

Haiden
10-09-2015, 18:23
whiskey thats great news. Even though I have a t300rs with T3PA pros and a load cell I still tell guys on budget to get the G29 because the T300, T100, T80 pedals are the same and are garbage even if modded. Being packaged with the better pedals is a fantastic deal. I also didnt like the stock rim with the T300 for my size it was too small. Felt like im holding a kids wheel(only in size) but its a nice quality wheel. I switched to the F1 rim. Took me a while to figure out all the t300 tendencies but I have had only two issues and called thrustmaster and they had me fixed before I was off the phone. I think guys who dont call them have more issue than the ones who do. I looked but didnt see a price, do you know what they will be asking for it?

Do you like that rim? I want an F1 style rim, but have been skeptical of that one, because it's plastic. How does it feel? Does the plastic dampen the FFB at all? I'm also wondering if Thrustmaster is planning to release a new model, maybe something metal. The current F1 rim has been out for a while now, hasn't it?

10-09-2015, 21:53

Or

???Hmm, up to the player really. If performance is all you're after then a wheel likely won't make you faster, the good FFB will just make it more enjoyable. A good set of pedals (something with a load cell brake, like the Fanatec CSR Elite pedals) can help with laptimes more than a fancy wheel IMO. Personally I'm in it for the enjoyment, so the FFB on the wheel is more important to me than a load cell brake.

Also it is possible to get a bit tricksy with your setup. For example I have my T500 RS hooked up normally, but I also have the G25 connected, but no power going to it. This is because I still use the G25 shifter, leaving the rest of the wheel just lie on the floor. In a similar way you can also use the existing G25 pedals and shifter together with a T300 RS, so if G25 pedals work for you and you want the clutch, you don't necessarily have to buy the 3-pedal set from Thrustmaster right away. Using the T300 RS wheelbase with the G25 pedals and shifter, and saving up for a set of CSR Elite pedals can definitely be an option. =)

Vennt
10-09-2015, 22:20
Good points, agreed Jussi.

For me, I know that my footwork is the weakest link in my simracing ability. (I'm typically heavy footed)

Therefore good pedals (and specifically good resistance) remove a lot of the frustration, I know when I moved from G25 pedals to BRD's F1 pedals (Still nothing like whats available today I know) many years ago not only did my ability improve, but so did my enjoyment.

Ideally, I'll go for a T300RS with T3PA-Pro's, but budget just doesn't allow it, so I gotta plan an upgrade path to get there eventually, and fairly efficiently.

Maybe I should just bite the bullet, accept I'll have to just save for a T500 setup, and manage with my T80 for a year. :D

(Limited to PS4 setup, hence Thrustmaster, my PC couldn't even run GPL now, let alone a modern sim :P)

cry4dawn
10-09-2015, 22:24
There are also adapters to connect the G25 shifter and pedals as separate USB inputs without the wheel. In case you don't have the space to leave the wheel lying around. :) That was my plan if I were to go with the TX wheel or something with lesser pedals and/or no shifter.

10-09-2015, 22:36
There are also adapters to connect the G25 shifter and pedals as separate USB inputs without the wheel. In case you don't have the space to leave the wheel lying around. :) That was my plan if I were to go with the TX wheel or something with lesser pedals and/or no shifter.Yes, there are those. I didn't mention them because they're not massively cheap, and money is a fundamental issue in this discussion. The Leo Bodnar ones are the best known, and both together add up to 44 pounds, or 60€, or 67.7 USD. So yeah, if you can afford them, they'd reduce the clutter, but 60€ is a big chunk of money towards a set of better pedals. =)

havocc
23-09-2015, 14:13

Sorry for necro but looks like it's out, check here http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_UK/products/t300-ferrari-integral-racing-wheel-alcantara-edition

Djinn
23-09-2015, 18:27
I will make the same update as you next month as soon as this package is available. I already got my TH8A shifter two weeks ago which feels awesome against the G27 shifter. :)

Vennt
23-09-2015, 18:52
As much as that looks like a nice wheel, I'm just not sure I could ever bring myself to buy a package for near enough 400 with just plastic pedals.

I mean you could get a T300RS and set of T3PA-Pro's for the same price, although yeah, you'd lose the detachable wheel & Alacantra.

23-09-2015, 18:57
As much as that looks like a nice wheel, I'm just not sure I could ever bring myself to buy a package for near enough 400 with just plastic pedals.

I mean you could get a T300RS and set of T3PA-Pro's for the same price, although yeah, you'd lose the detachable wheel & Alacantra.Yeah, that package seems most suitable for someone who already has a separate set of good pedals they're using. Though the T300 RS wheel is still detachable, so you're not really losing anything other than the alcantara and a better size (the 2-3 cm difference in diameter doesn't sound like much, but it feels like a different ball game, the old T500 RS 30 cm rim feels so much more like a real steering wheel than the 28 cm rims on the T300 and G25/27/29).

havocc
23-09-2015, 19:38
If you guys check my link you'll see that t3pa are included

Vennt
23-09-2015, 20:43
If you guys check my link you'll see that t3pa are included

Which, ultimately, are still plastic pedals at the end of the day and not something I'd want to be sticking a 35kg+ loadcell mod into with any kind of confidence for longetivity.

Although I believe J Bodin has been working on a loadcell for them, but I imagine they will be like his "lite" loadcell mod (15kg)

Mr.Smoke
23-09-2015, 20:53
Which, ultimately, are still plastic pedals at the end of the day and not something I'd want to be sticking a 35kg+ loadcell mod into with any kind of confidence for longetivity.

Although I believe J Bodin has been working on a loadcell for them, but I imagine they will be like his "lite" loadcell mod (15kg)

Does this kit include the pro pedals? If so, fight-test installed a ricmotec load cell in his & he absolutely loves them.

As far as i know the only big difference between the two pedal sets is the pro's can be inverted while the regular T3PA's cannot.

Vennt
23-09-2015, 21:04
Nope, just the T3PA set

The other difference is all metal construction vs plastic, hence the he loadcell concern.

Fight-Test
23-09-2015, 21:17
is the t3pa's plastic internally? The pro's do have a metal (aluminum) outside and the regular ones have plastic outside but I thought the internals were exactly the same? I thought the t3pa's are also exactly like the t500 pedals (or older ones atleast) which are just like the pro's internally. Im pretty sure they all have the same metal casing's inside, just the outside case is different. Im sure either load cell will work fine because they rest in the thick metal pedal casing. Bodin's light load cell came out today by the way.

23-09-2015, 21:35
The Pro pedals are like the old T500 RS pedals, though with a newer, better brake mod. The regular T3PA has (as far as I've seen) plastic levers etc. so is not an internal metal construction.

Fight-Test
23-09-2015, 21:52
Sorry jussi, just to follow, are you saying the metal casings inside are platic or that the pedals themselves are plastic.

23-09-2015, 22:02
Sorry jussi, just to follow, are you saying the metal casings inside are platic or that the pedals themselves are plastic.The pedal arms/levers themselves are plastic in the non-pro model:

The Pro one is the same full metal construction as the T500 pedal set.

Djinn
24-09-2015, 07:24
Yes, only the pedal levers are plastic. Pedals themselves and internally it's fully metal.

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_UK/products/t3pa-add

deedub777
30-09-2015, 13:43
All this talk of upgraded pedals - anyone got an old set of T80,100,300 pedals they'd pass on for spares (for a small fee of course). In particular the accelerator pedal spring for a T80

Mr.Smoke
30-09-2015, 14:29
All this talk of upgraded pedals - anyone got an old set of T80,100,300 pedals they'd pass on for spares (for a small fee of course). In particular the accelerator pedal spring for a T80

I had issues with those same springs on my T100 accelerator pedals. I fixed it by putting a differenf spring under the lever arm, almost like how the did for the brake pedal. You could try that if you are looking to fix yours.

GTsimms
01-10-2015, 22:10
I am trying to decided t300rs or csw v2

Vit7
02-10-2015, 00:22
I am trying to decided t300rs or csw v2

easy one....

02-10-2015, 02:31
If money is no object, then CSW V2 all the way. If money is a consideration, then it gets tricky.

GTsimms
02-10-2015, 03:40
If money is no object, then CSW V2 all the way. If money is a consideration, then it gets tricky.

Yeah cancelled the T150. I went with the T300RS and the T3PA Pro for now. I just can't see spending $1,200.00 just to get setup with CSW V2, BMW rim, and the CSP V3, yet! I just hope, I don't have issues with the thrustmaster wheel!

02-10-2015, 11:25
The T300 RS is an excellent wheel (I've used my friend's one several times) and the T3PA Pro pedals should be the same as the T500 RS pedals but with a better brake mod, so those are more than capable as well. =)

GTsimms
02-10-2015, 15:23
I added the F1 wheel, so more money, but still half the price of csw. I might sell the Fanatec's with limited use, if I like it and then just get a spare TX base, whenever they become available again.