PDA

View Full Version : Triple Screen or Oculus

Cuba
10-09-2015, 18:19
If you were planning for better game immersion (not just pCARS or race sims) in the next 12 months, would you look at a 4k triple screen setup or Oculus Rift?

Zenzic
10-09-2015, 19:26
Project Morpheus, actually. :)

Nick Claydon
10-09-2015, 19:32
I have had both and Oculus is far more immersive than triples, the only problem with Oculus is if you have button boxes, I compensated with an Xbox controller on my lap while using it.

VR racing is unreal with a set of headphones on and the engine volume cranked up ;)

cluck
10-09-2015, 21:16
I have had both and Oculus is far more immersive than triples, the only problem with Oculus is if you have button boxes, I compensated with an Xbox controller on my lap while using it.

VR racing is unreal with a set of headphones on and the engine volume cranked up ;)^^^ what he said :yes:.

I've not raced with triple screens (although my brother has them) but the level of immersion you get from the Oculus Rift is astonishing. I bought my DK2 last September and after getting used to it (it took a couple of weeks to adjust my driving style), I wouldn't go back to a single screen and I'm not sure I'd want to go to triple screens either.

I was, just a few minutes ago, doing a couple of laps in the Formula B and I could have sworn I was out there on the track for real.

I love those moments, when my brain is completely and utterly fooled :D.

Cuba
11-09-2015, 00:29
Thanks for the replies. I was looking into both options, but the Rift seems so incredible, can't wait to try one out.

lollygag
11-09-2015, 01:18
No question for me because I do graphics and photography work sitting in the same seat as I race in. and with 3-30" displays (2M wide), 8120x1600 (6K), 30" from my face I'm happy with my level of immersion. :cool:

Also, my wife already hates having to stick her head in my door to get me up to do shit... if she came in with that thing on my head and I couldnt even look up at her and respond, she'd really bust my ass.

cluck
11-09-2015, 07:42
One thing worth noting is that the Oculus cannot compete on clarity with a normal monitor. Also, given the performance hit it adds, it's not a perfect solution for everybody. The devs are working on some aspects (things like shadows missing) but obviously they cannot fix the relatively low resolution of the Rift.

But the immersion and feeling of 'depth' you get with it, those who say it's a 'game changer' are spot on.

As a humorous aside, I have lost count of the number of times I've lifted my arm up to look at the time on my watch and wondered why I can't see it :o. I've also lost count of the number of times I've whacked the Rift on the steering wheel as I've leant forward to take a really close look at the cockpit details :D.

Tony Rickard
11-09-2015, 07:49
Another Oculus Rift convert here! That said I do have my little man cave in the attic so the wife never gets to see me wearing it :)

Cuba
11-09-2015, 13:29
One thing worth noting is that the Oculus cannot compete on clarity with a normal monitor. Also, given the performance hit it adds, it's not a perfect solution for everybody. The devs are working on some aspects (things like shadows missing) but obviously they cannot fix the relatively low resolution of the Rift.
Those are things I have considered, that's why I'm waiting a bit to see how the Oculus evolves and how games will accept it at a higher resolution with details turned up. I have not followed the development of Oculus, but it seems like a lot of people have one considering is a "Development Kit" and not sold as a consumer product. Looking forward to hearing more about future plans for Oculus and how long it will be before games/computers will be able to work together to get that required 75 FPS at high res/detail. I currently get 60 FSP on my 4k tv so I'm happy for now. But I'm still missing the immersion Cluck talks about in his post which is amusing and speaks volumes about the experience of being IN the game with Oculus.

Mascot
11-09-2015, 13:47
VR racing is unreal with a set of headphones on and the engine volume cranked up ;)

Wouldn't VR work better with a static 5.1 surround speaker system? Headphones (even 5.1 versions) move with your head, so as you turn your head to look over your shoulder, sounds from the rear of the car (and behind your head) would move to the virtual front of the car. Static speakers would give correct audio placement at all times.

cluck
11-09-2015, 15:46
Those are things I have considered, that's why I'm waiting a bit to see how the Oculus evolves and how games will accept it at a higher resolution with details turned up. I have not followed the development of Oculus, but it seems like a lot of people have one considering is a "Development Kit" and not sold as a consumer product. Looking forward to hearing more about future plans for Oculus and how long it will be before games/computers will be able to work together to get that required 75 FPS at high res/detail. I currently get 60 FSP on my 4k tv so I'm happy for now. But I'm still missing the immersion Cluck talks about in his post which is amusing and speaks volumes about the experience of being IN the game with Oculus.It is indeed a 'development kit' but a very large number of people (including myself) bought one purely and simply to play with. I don't regret, for one second, buying one. Despite the poor resolution, it is the most exciting bit of technology I've played with in a very very long time (I think the last things that I was so enthused about were the speech module for a TI99/4A and the Gravis Ultrasound soundcard I got in the very early 90s).

Wouldn't VR work better with a static 5.1 surround speaker system? Headphones (even 5.1 versions) move with your head, so as you turn your head to look over your shoulder, sounds from the rear of the car (and behind your head) would move to the virtual front of the car. Static speakers would give correct audio placement at all times.For absolute 'cutting off from the world' immersion, you can't beat a set of closed-back headphones. As you say, though, for realistic immersion a 5.1 speaker setup is better.

Tony Rickard
11-09-2015, 16:46
It is indeed a 'development kit' but a very large number of people (including myself) bought one purely and simply to play with. I don't regret, for one second, buying one. Despite the poor resolution, it is the most exciting bit of technology I've played with in a very very long time (I think the last things that I was so enthused about were the speech module for a TI99/4A and the Gravis Ultrasound soundcard I got in the very early 90s).Totally agree. For me firing up Quake with a pair of 3dfx Voodoo cards for the first time was probably a similar ground breaking moment!

jeneric
11-09-2015, 19:47
Only interested in the Rift when the consumer version comes out. The current version is a little subpar imo, particularly when it comes to image quality. I'm sure this will improve greatly in the coming years, starting with the consumer version when it's released early next year, but atm, it's not quite there yet.

The thing about triple screen setups is, that unlike the Rift, they can vary massively. Screen size and positioning can make a huge difference to the racing experience. This is why for me, a good triple screen setup is still a great way to race. I play with this set up:
https://youtu.be/EEgNDArsgBU and find it incredibly immersive.

Also, triple screens are a far more sociable way to race, great fun when friends come round. Plus, much of the great sim racing hardware/software, such as button boxes, extra screens for telemetry data and modded LED displays on wheels, all become redundant when using the Rift.

Don't get me wrong, I've always welcomed new gaming display tech. I love 3D as well as triple screens and will no doubt jump on the Rift as soon as the consumer versions hits. But I will always want a triple screen display solution as well, especially as curved TV's/monitors are getting cheaper all the time.

Cuba
11-09-2015, 23:53
Only interested in the Rift when the consumer version comes out. The current version is a little subpar imo, particularly when it comes to image quality. I'm sure this will improve greatly in the coming years, starting with the consumer version when it's released early next year, but atm, it's not quite there yet.

The thing about triple screen setups is, that unlike the Rift, they can vary massively. Screen size and positioning can make a huge difference to the racing experience. This is why for me, a good triple screen setup is still a great way to race. I play with this set up:
https://youtu.be/EEgNDArsgBU and find it incredibly immersive.

Also, triple screens are a far more sociable way to race, great fun when friends come round. Plus, much of the great sim racing hardware/software, such as button boxes, extra screens for telemetry data and modded LED displays on wheels, all become redundant when using the Rift.

Don't get me wrong, I've always welcomed new gaming display tech. I love 3D as well as triple screens and will no doubt jump on the Rift as soon as the consumer versions hits. But I will always want a triple screen display solution as well, especially as curved TV's/monitors are getting cheaper all the time.
Love your setup. What's the size and resolution on your monitors? Also what brand? Thx!

jeneric
12-09-2015, 16:17
Cheers.

The monitors are actually 40 inch LED Samsung TV's. They are 1080p resolution and were just under 300 each. Input lag is not and issue with these screens and I love the overall size of them.

The rest of my setup is in my sig.

Gomoto
14-09-2015, 16:42
One 4k screen + oculus rift. Best of both worlds :-)

marcdxn
14-09-2015, 22:05
After a bit of a test with a VR headset its clear that is exactly what i want !
I'm waiting on HTCs / Steams VR Vive the last i saw it said they planned to release to retail in december this year i just hope they hit that target

Fanapryde
14-09-2015, 22:27
Just planning a PC and 27" triples.
No interest whatsoever in Oculus.
Don't want to race with that thing on my head, not being aware of my environment, not able to see my wheel/button box/drinks/snacks.
I have magnificent sound from my Pulse headset (even better than the 5.1 surround, but I use the headset only when I absolutely have to, and even then not for more than an hour or so.
Immersion in PCars is great allready with one screen, even better with three.
VR: clearly not for me...

Mark Quigley
14-09-2015, 22:50
If you are anything like my missus and have eyes on the back of your head then you can run dual Rifts :D

Fanapryde
15-09-2015, 05:37
^^ :glee::glee:

Le_Poilu
15-09-2015, 07:29
Wouldn't VR work better with a static 5.1 surround speaker system? Headphones (even 5.1 versions) move with your head, so as you turn your head to look over your shoulder, sounds from the rear of the car (and behind your head) would move to the virtual front of the car. Static speakers would give correct audio placement at all times.

Audio with positional tracking is part of the Occulus work. With that audio is always related to the position of your head in the virtual world.